Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 414782 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1100 on: December 27, 2015, 07:11:14 AM »
Trying to count the fishes. I think my wife left out a fish namely mussels.  We just had 6 instead of 7.
we were short too....

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1101 on: December 27, 2015, 12:50:31 PM »
leg day..
hammer v squat machine warmed up 2 plates side x15,,worked 3/4/5 plates side x12-10 reps
lying sled press x3 200/240/260
lunges with 50 db's stood still 1 leg forward and back then other leg x2
extensions 205/220/235/250 12/12/12/12

hams
single leg standing leg curls 70/80/90 sets 10
sldl 145/195/215
lying leg curls x2  140/140

calves 5 sets seated calf raises 3 plates x15/3.5 x12/4 plates x10/4x10/4x10

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1102 on: December 27, 2015, 03:14:15 PM »
To all my friends and others, I wish you belatedly a wonderful Christmas. It appears everyone had a jolly good time.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1103 on: December 27, 2015, 04:23:19 PM »
To all my friends and others, I wish you belatedly a wonderful Christmas. It appears everyone had a jolly good time.
you too,,jay ..hope family has you in there thoughts this year more than ever..

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1104 on: December 27, 2015, 04:57:18 PM »
you too,,jay ..hope family has you in there thoughts this year more than ever..

Thanks. My family has been great this year. Actually they always are. I sent out about 60 Christmas cards, this is my first time doing it too. -Got to keep up the traditions that Margie liked.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1105 on: December 27, 2015, 04:57:58 PM »
Thanks. My family has been great this year. Actually they always are. I sent out about 60 Christmas cards, this is my first time doing it too. -Got to keep up the traditions that Margie liked.
good man...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1106 on: December 28, 2015, 08:07:21 AM »
the shops here were mobbed today.. people taking back unwanted presents and stuff. Going for a good beasting run later.. have to wait till later tonight cause itīs so busy. Even wearing reflector bands itīs Dangerous at times.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1107 on: December 29, 2015, 10:00:19 AM »
CHEST/TRI/ABS/TREADMILL

STILL GETTING A BIT BETTER EACH WEEK FROM CREAKY SHOULDER...IT FLARES UP AFTER CHEST WORKOUT SUCKS STILL...

TRIED IT OUT ADTER WKS AND WKS....FLAT DB CHEST PRESS DID 25'S /30/35/40/45 SEE WHAT I COULD GET TOO FOR REPS 10-12 DIDN'T WANT TO RISK IT HEAVIER

CABLE PRESSOUTS X3

INCLINE PRESS  105/115/135/145  MAX I CAN DO AND ROM IS BETTER BUT I DO GET PAIN STILL...

CABLE CROSSOVERS X3 WITH PUSHUPS NO PAIN AT ALL ,,WEIRD..

SEATED CHEST PRESS 'STACK'85/105/105

GOOD PUMP OVERALL THATS ALL I NEED AT THIS POINT DUE TO NOT BEING ABLE TO TRAIN'HEAVY'

TRIS

OVERHEAD ROPE EXTENSIONS X4
DIP MACHINE X3
ROPE PUSHDOWNS X3
REVERS UNDERHANDED PUSHDOWNS X3

ABS

TREADMILL

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1108 on: December 29, 2015, 10:04:55 AM »
I did a full Body workout with emphasis on traps and delts.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1109 on: December 29, 2015, 10:06:31 AM »
I did a full Body workout with emphasis on traps and delts.
8....I'M A BIT SORE IN THAT FRONT DELT AREA I PUSHED MORE  :-\...WHAT ARE YA GOING TO DO..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1110 on: December 29, 2015, 10:13:50 AM »
8....I'M A BIT SORE IN THAT FRONT DELT AREA I PUSHED MORE  :-\...WHAT ARE YA GOING TO DO..
Take it like a Man... ;D no but if itīs light pain then it probably is ok. I just worked hard on Front,side,rear raises and then Dumbbell shrugs. I did the shrugs in front of a mirror really concentrating on the movement. not Heavy but high rep full range of movement and slow. Concentrating on my shoulder,head,neck positions.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1111 on: December 29, 2015, 11:35:39 AM »
As I promised myself, I made it to the gym. Did the usual Monday routine, which is arms. The workout was good but nothing special. It is amazing what happens over the course of a week off.

Although my biceps aren't big, I can see the two heads. This may be more a result of being lean than it is of working them.

I'm gonna hit the gym early today because I'm picking contacts at the ophthalmologist later this afternoon. I like wearing them to exercise because they don't get sweaty or fog up like my glasses do.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1112 on: December 29, 2015, 11:44:09 AM »
As I promised myself, I made it to the gym. Did the usual Monday routine, which is arms. The workout was good but nothing special. It is amazing what happens over the course of a week off.

Although my biceps aren't big, I can see the two heads. This may be more a result of being lean than it is of working them.

I'm gonna hit the gym early today because I'm picking contacts at the ophthalmologist later this afternoon. I like wearing them to exercise because they don't get sweaty or fog up like my glasses do.
doing great jay... you are a wise man

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1113 on: December 29, 2015, 06:02:44 PM »
Hit the new gym today that my wife got me a membership for. It's a really hardcore gym.  Shocked I saw some women working out there.  Instead of the hot panty hose leggings they were dressed in sweats.   I miss watching the hot chicks. Again the gym is hardcore. There are two gyms in town. The super gym that is sparkling with new equipment and visually looks amazing that I had a 3 month membership to this summer. This gym looks like a dump but it has everything you need. I even got rust marks on my grey sweat pants. It will take some time to get use to the different equipment. Half of the dumbbells have no markings on them. I guess you have to guess the weight. That drives me crazy. I also think the markings are wrong on some of them. The 85lbs were marked 80lbs.  

Trained back and chest:
Pull ups 3 x max
Low seated lat cable rows 2 x 12
Dumbbell row off a bench 2 x 10 80lbs (8 ten pound plates on the dumbbell with a 5lbs bar is 85lbs. They are marked 80lbs.  
Narrow grip pulldowns 2 x 10

Dumbbell flat bench 2 x 8 Used the dumbbells marked 75lbs that I think was actually  80lbs.

Incline dumbbell bench 2 x 6 Rotator cuff was killing me used 65lbs.
Dumbbell flies 2 x 10 45lbs
Machine flies 2 x 10
Machine bench press 2 x 10

Deadlifts 2 x 4 300lbs 1 x 1 315lbs. I like doing these at the end when I am shot but completely warmed up.
Weighted back extensions 2 x 15 with a 25lbs plate behind my head.

Seated machine ab crunch machine 2 x 15. Usually these machines are horrific in bad design.  This one was perfection.
Lying machine crunch 2 x 12. Another home run machine where they are usually a waste of time.

Some additional observations. They have a top shelf power bar for deadlifting and a quality olympic bar for olympic lifting. The bars in the posh gym were complete crap. This gym all the bars have real knurling on them.  

Saw a guy running in a winter coat on a treadmill. WTF?

One guy, I guess a powerlifter only did one exercise. He did heavy sets of deadlifts and went home.  I would be an ex lifter I did workouts like that.

The owner who is heavily involved in martial arts couldn't be nicer. He also told me if you ever need a spot give me a shout.  In the posh gym with all the personal trainers roaming around they wouldn't give you a spot unless you paid them.  

I think I found a home here. All different brands of exercise equipment but that's all good if they were selected for function.  

I think this gym is a better fit for me.  I will miss the women but I will get some serious workouts here.  He even put up a sign that the next door barber will give you $2 bucks off a hair cut if you mention his name. LOL

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1114 on: December 29, 2015, 06:14:29 PM »
Hit the new gym today that my wife got me a membership for. It's a really hardcore gym.  Shocked I saw some women working out there.  Instead of the hot panty hose leggings they were dressed in sweats.   I miss watching the hot chicks. Again the gym is hardcore. There are two gyms in town. The super gym that is sparkling with new equipment and visually looks amazing that I had a 3 month membership to this summer. This gym looks like a dump but it has everything you need. I even got rust marks on my grey sweat pants. It will take some time to get use to the different equipment. Half of the dumbbells have no markings on them. I guess you have to guess the weight. That drives me crazy. I also think the markings are wrong on some of them. The 85lbs were marked 80lbs.  

Trained back and chest:
Pull ups 3 x max
Low seated lat cable rows 2 x 12
Dumbbell row off a bench 2 x 10 80lbs (8 ten pound plates on the dumbbell with a 5lbs bar is 85lbs. They are marked 80lbs.  
Narrow grip pulldowns 2 x 10

Dumbbell flat bench 2 x 8 Used the dumbbells marked 75lbs that I think was actually  80lbs.

Incline dumbbell bench 2 x 6 Rotator cuff was killing me used 65lbs.
Dumbbell flies 2 x 10 45lbs
Machine flies 2 x 10
Machine bench press 2 x 10

Deadlifts 2 x 4 300lbs 1 x 1 315lbs. I like doing these at the end when I am shot but completely warmed up.
Weighted back extensions 2 x 15 with a 25lbs plate behind my head.

Seated machine ab crunch machine 2 x 15. Usually these machines are horrific in bad design.  This one was perfection.
Lying machine crunch 2 x 12. Another home run machine where they are usually a waste of time.

Some additional observations. They have a top shelf power bar for deadlifting and a quality olympic bar for olympic lifting. The bars in the posh gym were complete crap. This gym all the bars have real knurling on them.  

Saw a guy running in a winter coat on a treadmill. WTF?

One guy, I guess a powerlifter only did one exercise. He did heavy sets of deadlifts and went home.  I would be an ex lifter I did workouts like that.

The owner who is heavily involved in martial arts couldn't be nicer. He also told me if you ever need a spot give me a shout.  In the posh gym with all the personal trainers roaming around they wouldn't give you a spot unless you paid them.  

I think I found a home here. All different brands of exercise equipment but that's all good if they were selected for function.  

I think this gym is a better fit for me.  I will miss the women but I will get some serious workouts here.  He even put up a sign that the next door barber will give you $2 bucks off a hair cut if you mention his name. LOL

Could not agree with you more. I train now with an ex trainer from my work place who opened his own school. Jeet Kune Do, kali, wing tsun.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1115 on: December 30, 2015, 09:08:14 AM »
Trained legs today.  

Gym observations: Saw a guy built like a huge power lifter. He went to the deadlift area but he trained like a fitness animal.  Had two big dumbbells and started with stiff leg deadlifts. Immediately went to dumbbell squats holding them on his shoulders. After that he dropped down for pushups. He did a couple of circuits of this and left the gym in sweating like a whore at a convention.  It was a 20 minute workout.  I expected this guy to do stuff like low rep deads and squats.

Found out the owner of the gym aside from being a martial arts instructor is in the raw powerlifting hall of fame if there is such a thing according to a guy there. His trophy case is impressive. He is built like Frank Zane and not like an out of shape power lifter. I have to find out his last name.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1116 on: December 30, 2015, 09:22:41 AM »
Trained legs today. 

Gym observations: Saw a guy built like a huge power lifter. He went to the deadlift area but he trained like a fitness animal.  Had two big dumbbells and started with stiff leg deadlifts. Immediately went to dumbbell squats holding them on his shoulders. After that he dropped down for pushups. He did a couple of circuits of this and left the gym in sweating like a whore at a convention.  It was a 20 minute workout.  I expected this guy to do stuff like low rep deads and squats.

Found at the owner of the gym aside from being a martial arts instructor is in the raw powerlifting hall of fame f there is such a thing according to a guy there. His trophy case is impressive. He is built like Frank Zane and not like an out of shape power lifter. I have to find out his last name.
Sounds more and more like a place i would love to visit. I like Dumbbell training and i am at the moment utilizing them for my training more than a Barbell,cables,machines. I have two bells i use for shadow boxing. Really develop the muscles you need. your Gym reviews i like.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1117 on: December 30, 2015, 12:15:13 PM »
Managed to get to the gym early enough to complete my routine before a doctor appointment I had yesterday. -Worked hams and calves. I did the normal routine with added resistance on all exercises with the exception of the seated calf raises which come at the end of the routine.  In addition to the usual routine, I did 3 sets of 10 weighted squats. The weight was negligible at two plates. We will see if it makes any difference in how my legs and butt feel. As usual squats got the juices flowing and my breathing up. I definitely need to work these in on leg days.

Weight is right on at 175 - 176 lbs. each morning. I feel great at this weight. Sometimes I look in the mirror and see a skinny guy staring back at me but I haven't panicked so far. In the past, I would get nervous when I got down to around 180 lbs. thinking I was going to look emaciated like I did as a kid. Maybe I am finally over my obsession with being big at any cost. Lucky for me that my metabolism is that of a young person. I can eat what I want, just a little less of it and the pounds still come off. As I mentioned in another thread, I never feel hungry.

-Picked up the sample prescription for contacts. Wore them yesterday evening. I can see pretty well with them, but not quite as good as with the glasses. I think it is because I do mono vision which means one eye is corrected for distance and the other for close work. With the glasses both eyes are corrected for distance and close, using blended bifocal lenses. In a few minutes, I'm going to pick up a second pair of glasses which I had made for my previous frames. I'll have so much working eyewear that I can look different all the time.  :)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1118 on: December 30, 2015, 12:20:40 PM »
Managed to get to the gym early enough to complete my routine before a doctor appointment I had yesterday. -Worked hams and calves. I did the normal routine with added resistance on all exercises with the exception of the seated calf raises which come at the end of the routine.  In addition to the usual routine, I did 3 sets of 10 weighted squats. The weight was negligible at two plates. We will see if it makes any difference in how my legs and butt feel. As usual squats got the juices flowing and my breathing up. I definitely need to work these in on leg days.

Weight is right on at 175 - 176 lbs. each morning. I feel great at this weight. Sometimes I look in the mirror and see a skinny guy staring back at me but I haven't panicked so far. In the past, I would get nervous when I got down to around 180 lbs. thinking I was going to look emaciated like I did as a kid. Maybe I am finally over my obsession with being big at any cost. Lucky for me that my metabolism is that of a young person. I can eat what I want, just a little less of it and the pounds still come off. As I mentioned in another thread, I never feel hungry.

-Picked up the sample prescription for contacts. Wore them yesterday evening. I can see pretty well with them, but not quite as good as with the glasses. I think it is because I do mono vision which means one eye is corrected for distance and the other for close work. With the glasses both eyes are corrected for distance and close, using blended bifocal lenses. In a few minutes, I'm going to pick up a second pair of glasses which I had made for my previous frames. I'll have so much working eyewear that I can look different all the time.  :)
wear the Glasses Jay.. i worked with a guy who wore contacts and they irritated his eyes a lot. Maybe he never cleaned them enough i donīt know. Said there are diffrent types too ..suppose cost more for the better ones.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1119 on: December 30, 2015, 02:29:33 PM »

8) jay,,,in the summer due normal crazy metabolism i still have and i get lean in summer from running around/fast workouts/tighten diet and then on top of that i had the 'issue'i was a wreck i was at my lightest in long time.i was around 175'i'm 5'7'but i was ripped nice tho when i layed down stomach area even in pelvic area was sucked in..i decided after sept/oct to go up in weight a bit and train same and add a bit more weights on certain exercises than bam shoulder issue,,i still trained everything hard around it and my weight is heading to 190 which feels good in clothes look bigger ..my abs are kinda washed out except for top rows..i will stay until spring then cut back to 180 ..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1120 on: December 30, 2015, 02:56:02 PM »
Jay and Flex, I'm about 187lbs at 5'8" now.  When we were all young all we cared about was being big. I actually think I drank gain weight shakes for over 10 years. Just stupid. I should have embraced my leanness. Now I fight to get under 180lbs.  As we age we should work on being lean and leaving the perma bulk look to the kids. Looking built in clothes is very different from looking good with your shirt off.

Look in the world of MMA and boxing. In the lighter classes they are in incredible conditioning. Most guys 5'8" are under 160lbs. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1121 on: December 30, 2015, 02:56:59 PM »
8) jay,,,in the summer due normal crazy metabolism i still have and i get lean in summer from running around/fast workouts/tighten diet and then on top of that i had the 'issue'i was a wreck i was at my lightest in long time.i was around 175'i'm 5'7'but i was ripped nice tho when i layed down stomach area even in pelvic area was sucked in..i decided after sept/oct to go up in weight a bit and train same and add a bit more weights on certain exercises than bam shoulder issue,,i still trained everything hard around it and my weight is heading to 190 which feels good in clothes look bigger ..my abs are kinda washed out except for top rows..i will stay until spring then cut back to 180 ..

It is natural to gain weight during the colder months I think. Lots of other mammals do it in preparation for hibernation. Humans hibernate a little too. Like you mention, there is less running around and fewer demands on our calorie stores during the winter. Stress is a big factor when it comes to weight. Some folks each more and others like you, eat less during stressful times.

Clothes can be a problem unless you keep at least two if not three different sizes so you don't look like you are wearing your big brother's clothes when you're slim or like you're wearing your little brother's clothes when your bigger. I was so committed to sliming down I bought smaller clothes right away, now some of those are too big. Heck, it's one way to get a lot of new clothes. My old pants literally fall off me if I don't hold them up with a belt. My hips are narrow and my butt is small....there's nothing there to hold them up. LOL!

Until I see no fat, I'm going to maintain this weight. When I get to where I want to be, I will gain weight very slowly and only when exercising on a regular basis to help insure that the fat doesn't come back. People have different body types. You are about 3" shorter than me and you weigh what I do. Of course you have more muscle than me, so this is to be expected. And then there's your wheels compared to mine; you have truck wheels while I have racing bike wheels.  :(

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1122 on: December 30, 2015, 03:07:18 PM »
Jay and Flex, I'm about 187lbs at 5'8" now.  When we were all young all we cared about was being big. I actually think I drank gain weight shakes for over 10 years. Just stupid. I should have embraced my leanness. Now I fight to get under 180lbs.  As we age we should work on being lean and leaving the perma bulk look to the kids. Looking built in clothes is very different from looking good with your shirt off.

Look in the world of MMA and boxing. In the lighter classes they are in incredible conditioning. Most guys 5'8" are under 160lbs. 

I agree with you 100 %. I certainly was motivated to lift because I was very skinny and hated it. Now I am glad to have those genes. Many of the guys who were muscle monsters in their late teens and twenties are either dead or nearly so. If they are lucky enough to still be around, they often become tubs of lard. Without doubt clothes look better or hang better on slimmer folks then they do on bigger and more muscular folks. Look at the men who model clothes, they are definitely on the skinny side. Only recently, have these fashion models become a little bit more muscular. Have you ever noticed the Under Armor mannequins? They're actually huge compared to regular mannequins. They are designed for tight fitting sport's wear and not for street clothes.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1123 on: December 30, 2015, 04:11:02 PM »
i agree rich i'm not the perma bulker type and i still look pretty good 185/190 just lose my abs a bit...180 i look my best ..i competed at 170 looked skinned in my 20's ...i like heavier bodyweight with the heavier training and i've stayed real lean for a 4 yr run now ,i just wanted to fill out for a few months just a bit..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1124 on: December 30, 2015, 05:29:55 PM »
I have zero abs at my weight now. I do like beer.  ;D Working hard so far this week. Hope to get three days in row then maybe one or two days off.  Even worked my calves hard knowing people with zero calves laugh at my calves.