Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 414962 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1450 on: March 10, 2016, 04:20:24 PM »
Back and chest:No warm ups listed.

Power cleans and jerks 3 x 3 165lbs then 1 x 1 180lbs.
Pull ups 2 x max (all the way up and all the way down)
Low cable row 2 x 12 170lbs
Dumbbell row off bench 2 x 10 85lbs (all the way down and up)
Reverse Pulldown 2 x 10

Bench press 2 x 6 (I won't post the weight. Just sad with my bad shoulder)
Incline bench 2 x 6
flies 2 x 48lb
Push ups 20-15

Stiff dead 2 x 6 205lb
Weighted hyper extensions 2x15 25lbs.

Weighted floor crunches 1 x 50 5lbs.

Gym Observations:

Just exhausted after this workout. Gym was empty. Then again it was my own basement gym.

Where do you normally max out on pull-ups?  Arnold wrote in one of his training books that a person should do 50 reps however they can. One set of 50, two sets of 25 and so on as long as the final count is 50 or more reps.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1451 on: March 10, 2016, 05:00:40 PM »
I won't list it. The overwhelming amount of people neither go all the way up or all the way down. A pull up isn't over when your out stretched chin reaches the bottom of the bar but when the elbows are completely down and the bar grazes the upper chest region.  

I have always believed this.  You have to work the muscle and not the ego. Do the exercise in the hardest way to work the muscle and not the easiest. I watched a guy knock out 20 reps. His elbows were never close to being all the way down when going up and he never when all the down. He was also kipping. Yes, I can bang out 20 plus reps like that.

I don't think Arnold in his best days could do 50 real pull ups.  

I believe bodybuilding is a huge sport for the insecure. It reflects in every gym.  Watch the majority doing a bench press, incline press,  and shoulder press.  Many do approximately 50% of the movement. If you ask them why they are doing half reps they are either delusional saying they are doing the full movement or they say it's the proper method to prevent injury. What the truth is that they would have to knock off around 20lbs off each dumbbell and lot off a barbell if they did it the hardest way through a complete range of motion.

The delusion is saturated in gyms. How many times have you seen a guy raise the back board of the leg press. Put a crazy amount of plates on and barely bend their legs?  Some will have the back board so high their knees actually touches their chest with the legs going through less than half of the range of motion they are capable of. Squats are the same thing. Look at how Olympic lifters squat. They sink it. None of this low bar, feet wide shallow hip locks. How many have you seen raise a barbell in a power rack so they can deadlift a lot of plates knowing they could never budge if it was off the floor.

If you want to know how fast and powerful a person is see what the time is for 100 meters, Want to know vo2 see what a person can do in a 1.5 miles.  Want to know strength and power see how much they can clean and jerk.  Even a clean and press is a better test for power and strength than a bench.

My best days are behind me but I train hard. I'm a souped up VW bettle bug. I wish I was a souped of corvette. I was an insecure very skinny kid in school. Always the skinniest. Through training I eventually built my body.  If I can do it all over again I would just do bodyweight exercises, running both sprints and distance, and a martial art.    

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1452 on: March 11, 2016, 08:17:29 AM »
I won't list it. The overwhelming amount of people neither go all the way up or all the way down. A pull up isn't over when your out stretched chin reaches the bottom of the bar but when the elbows are completely down and the bar grazes the upper chest region.  

I have always believed this.  You have to work the muscle and not the ego. Do the exercise in the hardest way to work the muscle and not the easiest. I watched a guy knock out 20 reps. His elbows were never close to being all the way down when going up and he never when all the down. He was also kipping. Yes, I can bang out 20 plus reps like that.

I don't think Arnold in his best days could do 50 real pull ups.  

I believe bodybuilding is a huge sport for the insecure. It reflects in every gym.  Watch the majority doing a bench press, incline press,  and shoulder press.  Many do approximately 50% of the movement. If you ask them why they are doing half reps they are either delusional saying they are doing the full movement or they say it's the proper method to prevent injury. What the truth is that they would have to knock off around 20lbs off each dumbbell and lot off a barbell if they did it the hardest way through a complete range of motion.

The delusion is saturated in gyms. How many times have you seen a guy raise the back board of the leg press. Put a crazy amount of plates on and barely bend their legs?  Some will have the back board so high their knees actually touches their chest with the legs going through less than half of the range of motion they are capable of. Squats are the same thing. Look at how Olympic lifters squat. They sink it. None of this low bar, feet wide shallow hip locks. How many have you seen raise a barbell in a power rack so they can deadlift a lot of plates knowing they could never budge if it was off the floor.

If you want to know how fast and powerful a person is see what the time is for 100 meters, Want to know vo2 see what a person can do in a 1.5 miles.  Want to know strength and power see how much they can clean and jerk.  Even a clean and press is a better test for power and strength than a bench.

My best days are behind me but I train hard. I'm a souped up VW bettle bug. I wish I was a souped of corvette. I was an insecure very skinny kid in school. Always the skinniest. Through training I eventually built my body.  If I can do it all over again I would just do bodyweight exercises, running both sprints and distance, and a martial art.    
Good post Buddy.. I never count reps on pull ups. always liked just going for max reps. each set diffrent hand position or width. Is your hand position and width important? diffrent opinions :).

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1453 on: March 11, 2016, 08:25:55 AM »
delts/bi/treadmill

shoulder press machine inner grip'palms in'x4
laterals side 25/30/30/30-20 drop
front delt rope raises x3
cable upper crossover for rears
cable raises x2

bis
seated curl machine 'padded'x4
70 lb curl bar x3 training partner in front go set to set passing no rest 10-12 goal reps
hammer curls reg version and across body mixed 6x6 reps per set x3
seated cable seperate handle but done together x2

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1454 on: March 11, 2016, 05:36:38 PM »
Cardio day. Ran 3.4 miles at 9 minute pace. I ran outside and that has been a rare thing since I injured the nerves in my foot. Felt so good to be outside running even if it was slow. Came home and hit the heavy bag for two three minute rounds. Almost under 180lbs coming in at 182lbs. Haven't been that light in awhile. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1455 on: March 12, 2016, 03:48:51 AM »
Full body workout this morning in the Gym. Did a mix of free weights, bodyweight and machines. I decided to do an unusual exercise from the Dark ages of weight training. The crucifix with Dumbbells. Holding the side lateral position in the upper position as long as possible. Feeling stronger every workout 8)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1456 on: March 12, 2016, 02:52:02 PM »
Full body workout this morning in the Gym. Did a mix of free weights, bodyweight and machines. I decided to do an unusual exercise from the Dark ages of weight training. The crucifix with Dumbbells. Holding the side lateral position in the upper position as long as possible. Feeling stronger every workout 8)
good news donny good to hear the body is recouping...

leg day intense and i always throw a wrinkle in somewhere to kill my training partner

leg press fair warm ups 3 plates aside x2x12 ....worked 5 plates x12,6x12,7x10,8 x8'heavy man'then 8 plates x7 dropped to 6x10,then 4 x10 great pump,
hammer v squat 3 plates side/4/5 sets 10
extensions x3 sets 12 220-250

hams
lying leg curls 140/155/165 sets 10
leg curls standing single leg 90x10,90x10.70x15

calves
standingcalf raises 180x12/200x12/220x10.240x10,240x10
seated calf raise x2 x10 heavy 3plates and 25

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1457 on: March 12, 2016, 03:33:42 PM »
good news donny good to hear the body is recouping...

leg day intense and i always throw a wrinkle in somewhere to kill my training partner

leg press fair warm ups 3 plates aside x2x12 ....worked 5 plates x12,6x12,7x10,8 x8'heavy man'then 8 plates x7 dropped to 6x10,then 4 x10 great pump,
hammer v squat 3 plates side/4/5 sets 10
extensions x3 sets 12 220-250

hams
lying leg curls 140/155/165 sets 10
leg curls standing single leg 90x10,90x10.70x15

calves
standingcalf raises 180x12/200x12/220x10.240x10,240x10
seated calf raise x2 x10 heavy 3plates and 25
thanks steve. full body at the moment but will go to a 3 day split later.  :)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1458 on: March 12, 2016, 04:22:11 PM »
Day off of training. When to a huge St. Patrick parade in Seaside Heights. NJFLEX knows where that is. Had 5 beers in an out door bar while the dj played music. Really hot girls dancing in their green best with their slutty short skirts on.  Bouncer was checking ID's but waved my wife and me in. I guess grey hair has it's privileges. Sitting typing this thinking on Monday I'm going to diet for the first time in my life.  I always try to "outwork" my diet.  I hope some small changes will make some big results.  Going to tweak my training too. Not sure of the changes but I will be making them.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1459 on: March 12, 2016, 06:46:05 PM »
Day off of training. When to a huge St. Patrick parade in Seaside Heights. NJFLEX knows where that is. Had 5 beers in an out door bar while the dj played music. Really hot girls dancing in their green best with their slutty short skirts on.  Bouncer was checking ID's but waved my wife and me in. I guess grey hair has it's privileges. Sitting typing this thinking on Monday I'm going to diet for the first time in my life.  I always try to "outwork" my diet.  I hope some small changes will make some big results.  Going to tweak my training too. Not sure of the changes but I will be making them.
8),,you will be fine..

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1460 on: March 12, 2016, 07:09:26 PM »
It is always interesting to read what you guys post here. Most of the posts are inspirational or at least informational.

Last night I worked upper body at home. With a routine that relies mostly on push-ups, I am wondering if my back is worked at all. Anyone have thoughts on this? Tonight I will work legs again. Next week is a busy one for me. I am going to see if I can make this work with hitting the gym. I am missing it.

The weather here lately really sucks. I am so ready for a spring that includes some sunshine and warmth. Everything is budding out, but working in the garden when it is pouring rain is not my idea of fun. If I don't mow the grass soon it's going to go completely wild. The good news when in comes to the lawn is that the mole seems to have moved to someone else's yard. There is no sign of activity this spring.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1461 on: March 14, 2016, 04:18:46 PM »
If you want to train back get one of these things and you can work lats with it. http://www.ultimatebodypress.com/ultimate-body-press-dip-bar.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=DB&gclid=CLyntvOjwcsCFUMlgQodJeADGg

Add a door way chin bar. Investment less than $150 bucks

Your home workout could be something like this:

1. Jumps for height either straight up or from the lunge position. Burpees is a substitute.  (power exercise)
2. Free squats 2 x max (one leg pistol squats if you an acrobatic animal)
3. Pull ups 2 x max
4. Inverted body weight rows 2 x max ( Great exercise if legs are elevated to keep the body somewhat horizontal)
5. Push ups 2 x max
6. Head stand presses against wall 2 x max ( you have to be crazy strong for that. Feet elevated pushups are the substitute.)
7. Curl grip pullups 2 x max
8. dips 2 x max
9. calf raises with single leg off stairs 2 x max
10 ab exercises.

Description for body part training fanatics.
1. Power
2. thighs
3. lats and biceps
4. back thickness
5. pecs and triceps
6. delts and triceps
7. lats and biceps
8. pecs and triceps
9. calfs
10. abs

Naturally there are so many variations. Also look into something like TRX

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1462 on: March 14, 2016, 04:21:59 PM »
If you want to train back get one of these things and you can work lats with it. http://www.ultimatebodypress.com/ultimate-body-press-dip-bar.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=DB&gclid=CLyntvOjwcsCFUMlgQodJeADGg

Add a door way chin bar. Investment less than $150 bucks

Your home workout could be something like this:

1. Jumps for height either straight up or from the lunge position. Burpees is a substitute.  (power exercise)
2. Free squats 2 x max (one leg pistol squats if you an acrobatic animal)
3. Pull ups 2 x max
4. Inverted body weight rows 2 x max ( Great exercise if legs are elevated to keep the body somewhat horizontal)
5. Push ups 2 x max
6. Head stand presses against wall 2 x max ( you have to be crazy strong for that. Feet elevated pushups are the substitute.)
7. Curl grip pullups 2 x max
8. dips 2 x max
9. calf raises with single leg off stairs 2 x max
10 ab exercises.

Description for body part training fanatics.
1. Power
2. thighs
3. lats and biceps
4. back thickness
5. pecs and triceps
6. delts and triceps
7. lats and biceps
8. pecs and triceps
9. calfs
10. abs

Naturally there are so many variations. Also look into something like TRX
Great post rich

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1463 on: March 15, 2016, 09:02:30 AM »
Ran 3.1 miles. Damn gps watch didn't work and I have no idea what time or pace I ran it in. I know I was going fast the last mile because a young blonde girl passed me and I passed her on my last half mile. 

I then went home and hit the heavy bag for two three minute rounds. So hard to hit the bag after running.  I get into a bad habit hitting the bag of keeping my head still. I have to concentrate on moving.

Tomorrow is delt and arms. 

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1464 on: March 15, 2016, 09:45:53 AM »
CHEST/TRI/ABS /TREADMILL

FOR ME THIS WAS HEAVIEST DB PRESS DAY SINCE OCT OF 2015  :P :o,,DUE TO RICH ADVICE I MODIFIED THEM TP PALM IN FROMT START TO FINISH ITS LESS STRESS THAT WAY ON FRONT DELT...

DB FLAT PRESS X5 INC WARM UP 40/50/55/60/65 12/10/10/10/8 ..80/85 USUAL FINISH SO CLOSE HERE
INC PRESS DB 40/45/45 ..70/80'S HERE STILL WAYYYY OFF..
CABLE CROSSOVERS X3
LOWER CABLE FLYES X2
SEATED CHEST PRESS X3 130-155

JUST SOME MINOR SORENESS IN SHOULDER 'PROBABLY LIKE RICH'S LEVEL'BUT LIVABLE ANS ABLE TO TRAIN AROUND.

TRIS
SUPERSETTING
OVERHEAD ROPE EXTENSION AND PUSHDOWNS X4
SEATED PADDED TRICEP EXT MACHINE WITH DIP MACHINE X3
SINGLE ARM ROPE PULLDOWNS FACING SIDEWAYS INSTEAD IN FRONT FOR USUAL PUSHDOWNS X3

ABS
HANGING LEG RAISES X3X15
LYING CRUNCH RILLER MACHINE X3 SETS 30

TREADMILL

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1465 on: March 16, 2016, 08:34:57 AM »
Delt and arms today.

Military press cleaned from the floor 2 x 8 120lbs (all the way down)
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 25lbs
Rear delt laterals 2 x 10 30lbs
Rear delt machine 1 x 10
delt lateral machine 2 x 10
Shrugs 2 x 10 250lbs.

weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs (all the way down)
traditional tricep pushdowns 3 x 10
rope tricep 2 x 8

ez bar curl 2 x 10 95lbs
scott machine curls 2 x 10
concentration curls 2 x 12 20lbs

forearm wrist curls 2 x 25 85lbs
reverse grip curls 2 x 12

ab coaster 2 x 27 40lbs
ab crunch machine 2 x 20

Gym Observations:
A guy about 55-60 loaded the hammer strength bench with about 450lbs. I was wondering if the 155lbs could bench it. He walked up to it like he was going to do shrugs. He strained to pick up the weight but never did a shrug. His shoulders never went up and down. I was wondering if he was having a convulsion.  Driving with his whole body he moved the weight a couple inches. He then moves to the chin and dipping station. Straps on a 45lbs and does the shallowest dips I have ever seen. He super sets with chins and his body went up about 5 inches. WTF?  I bet he goes home and tells the wife he's stronger than everyone in the gym.  

More and more girls are coming to the gym.  I guess it's word of mouth that the dungeon hard core gym isn't that bad. The price is certainly right.

I have to laugh how this place in stuck in time. I bet the machines are 25 years old.  His one and only hammer strength machine looks like something Gary Jones made in his garage when he was first making the line. Never saw a bench configuration like the Hammer strength machine he has.  His treadmills are excellent but all have some factor that would keep them out of newer commercial gyms like a dim screen.  

Anyone feel grossed out rubbing your skin against a machine pad that so many have used?  I know a few people who have gotten MRSA though not gym related. It's horrific and hard to beat. So many MMA and wrestlers get these hard to beat skin infections.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1466 on: March 18, 2016, 04:26:05 PM »
been busy to post few workouts behind

back
chins x4 wide x12-15,, 1 set inner x10
tbar row elevated chest down on pad 2 plates and 2 sets 2 plates and 25 10/10/10
standing cable narrow pulley bar pull to chest pulldowns x3
low pulley rows 165/180/195
standing rope pulls to waist x3

weighted hypers x3x15

shrugs
225/275/315/325
kettleball shrugs 70's x12 at sides

abs
treadmill

delt day home/bis

side raises laterals 15x20/20x15/30/30/30 x12
rear raises seated 30's x4x10-12
fr raises with bar x4
db presses 2x15
uprights cable x2

bis
curl bar curls x4 x12
seated db curls alternated reps 6x6 with hammers
hanging bar curls elbows tucked in beyween knees x3
2 sets full hammers 45's 10 reps per

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1467 on: March 19, 2016, 02:35:50 AM »
Full body workout and run yesterday. Pre exhaust.

Incline Flyes + Parallel bar dips
Pulldowns + DB rows
Lateral raises + Military press
Scott bench curls + undergrip pulldowns (this is a real Bi Blaster ala Bill Pearl)
Tri press downs + narrow push ups
Thigh extension + leg press
standing calf raises + Rope jumping ( if you have not jumped rope for a while your calfs will burn very fast)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1468 on: March 19, 2016, 06:59:56 AM »
Full body workout and run yesterday. Pre exhaust.

Incline Flyes + Parallel bar dips
Pulldowns + DB rows
Lateral raises + Military press
Scott bench curls + undergrip pulldowns (this is a real Bi Blaster ala Bill Pearl)
Tri press downs + narrow push ups
Thigh extension + leg press
standing calf raises + Rope jumping ( if you have not jumped rope for a while your calfs will burn very fast)

8)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1469 on: March 19, 2016, 07:06:20 AM »

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1470 on: March 19, 2016, 07:06:47 AM »
Doing nothing today. Taking a break with no cardio or lifting. Getting a nice bottle of wine for tonight.

I haven't jump rope in ages. I wonder if I can do it without tripping up?  I will go into a basement box and blow the dust off my jump rope.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1471 on: March 19, 2016, 07:14:04 AM »
Doing nothing today. Taking a break with no cardio or lifting. Getting a nice bottle of wine for tonight.

I haven't jump rope in ages. I wonder if I can do it without tripping up?  I will go into a basement box and blow the dust off my jump rope.

Great for calfs, superset with standing raises. Enjoy the wine :)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1472 on: March 19, 2016, 12:23:53 PM »
Maybe I will combine the wine with the rope jumping.  Every great story always starts with, "Watch this!"

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1473 on: March 19, 2016, 12:26:55 PM »
Maybe I will combine the wine the rope jumping.  Every great story always starts with, "Watch this!"
Rich we need you on here  ;D enjoy the Grape and have fun  ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1474 on: March 19, 2016, 05:18:19 PM »
I'm still doing workouts at home and enjoying them. Chest is a little sore today from last night's push-ups. I completed 100 regular push-ups and 60 wide grip one using the sink counter, stretching my pecs as much as possible. I then did 45 dips using a chair. Lastly, I did 75 slow curls using lightweight dumbbells. Tonight I will work legs.

My legs are getting more vascular. I can even see some veins showing on my butt. My weight is holding steady at 175-176 lbs.

The last couple of days, I have been driving a loaner while my car is in the shop. It is a 2016 Mazda CX3, which is a subcompact SUV. It is loaded with all the latest equipment including a high-end sound system, bluetooth, back up camera, lane change warnings, reactive cruise control, which can be set at any speed, etc. A little glass panel pops up from the dashboard when the car is started that displays additional driving conditions feed back. The vehicle has 18" wheels and a retractable moon/sun roof. Although it is only a 4 cylinder engine with a 2.0 engine, it really goes. It has a 6 speed automatic transmission with hill assist. It takes our hill with no problem. The one thing I don't like about it is that the body style is ugly. I'd also prefer a different color and leather upholstery. Otherwise, I am really tempted to buy one of these. My 2004 Mazda 6 seems like an antique at this point. I have a suspicion that they gave me the loaner with ulterior motives.

I called  just before 5:00 p.m. and my car is done. I'm keeping the loaner and picking up my repaired car on Monday.  :'(