Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 414829 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1700 on: May 12, 2016, 07:50:19 PM »
behind on posts

front pulldowns,,150,165/180/180
t bar row 2 plates,2 and 25,3 ,3 and couple 10's
standing small bar pulldowns top of cable to chest level x3
pulldowns behid neck x2
low rope pull rows to waist pull ropes out x3

shrugs 225/275/275/225/185

abs crunch machine x3x40 per set

weighted hypers x3

treadmill

delt/bi/forearms

press machine inner grip x4 with few warmups prior
cable side laterals 30/35/35/25...10/10/10 20
fr raise db 30 db x3
lying on angled bench rear delt raise 15/20/25/25 dbls

bis
seated curl machine x4
curls on cable low row station x3
inc curls db 30/35/35
2 sets hammer rope curls

foreams 6 sets behind back wrist curls

calves 3 sets standing calf raises 200/220/220 15/15/15

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1701 on: May 12, 2016, 08:13:31 PM »
Using your logic, I should be sick all the time. This is especially true since I now workout at several large gyms where there are a lot of people. When I worked at the elementary school, I was around loads of kids who sneezed, coughed and put their hands on everything. Oddly, none of this caused me to be more susceptible to catching colds or the flu (which I've never had in my entire life). My immune system must work overtime or it is superior compared to other folks. 

I have gone many years without calling in sick.  I think in one 10 year period I called out sick one time. Yes, the logic is the more exposure you have the greater the odds.  Who has a greater chance of testing HIV positive. A gay street prostitute or a person who has been with the same person for 30 years?  Yes, the person with the same person can test HIV positive if their partner cheats but if I was a betting man and using logic I would put my money on the street hooker.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1702 on: May 13, 2016, 02:24:38 AM »
Trained Chest, Triceps, legs Today..

Parallel bar dips 3xmax
Flat flys 3 x10-12
incline BB press 3x10-12

Incline French press 3x10-12
one arm lying tricep ext across body (DB) 3x10-12

Front squats 3x10-12
stiff deads 3x15
standing calf raises 3x15

Not a long workout but gets it done for me at the moment. A Day off and i will train Back,shoulders,biceps, calfes. will go for a run later today for my cardio.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1703 on: May 13, 2016, 10:50:27 AM »
I have gone many years without calling in sick.  I think in one 10 year period I called out sick one time. Yes, the logic is the more exposure you have the greater the odds.  Who has a greater chance of testing HIV positive. A gay street prostitute or a person who has been with the same person for 30 years?  Yes, the person with the same person can test HIV positive if their partner cheats but if I was a betting man and using logic I would put my money on the street hooker.
You're comparing apples to oranges.  While HIV, colds and the flu are all viruses, only HIV is blood born. As such, it needs very specific circumstances to pass it from one to another, i.e. unprotected sex.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1704 on: May 13, 2016, 06:19:22 PM »
Worked my chest today. Got a good stretch on decline presses and flies which I did using two pieces of equipment, one on a machine and one using cables. All in all I did 10 sets of 15-10 reps. I kept the weight lite on the cable flies.

One gym observation is that a young attractive woman was at the gym. Not sure she worked out, because when I noticed her she was in street clothes and she had her purse with her. As she sat on the shoulder press machine, three male gym employees chatted her up. They were obviously flirting with her and she was eating it up. I'm not sure this is part of these trainers jobs.  ::)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1705 on: May 15, 2016, 06:03:57 AM »
Worked my chest today. Got a good stretch on decline presses and flies which I did using two pieces of equipment, one on a machine and one using cables. All in all I did 10 sets of 15-10 reps. I kept the weight lite on the cable flies.

One gym observation is that a young attractive woman was at the gym. Not sure she worked out, because when I noticed her she was in street clothes and she had her purse with her. As she sat on the shoulder press machine, three male gym employees chatted her up. They were obviously flirting with her and she was eating it up. I'm not sure this is part of these trainers jobs.  ::)
Boys will be Boys... :) I will Train Back, shoulders, Biceps and Abs today.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1706 on: May 15, 2016, 03:43:25 PM »
Yesterday I worked legs, specifically quads and calves. The V squat apparatus is becoming my favorite movement. I particularly like that I can go very deep without overextending my knees because it is so easy to find a position that works. This feature seems much better than it is on the conventional Hack squat, in my opinion.

The gym's array of leg extension machines is very good. I used the Hammer leg extension which allows for the most adjustments. I found what I think is a perfect fit. I was able to do extensions with a fair amount of resistance, while maintaining good form, range of motion, speed and the ability to pause at the top of the movement for a second or two of isometrics. I did 6 sets instead of 5 because I was really getting into the exercise.

The two leg press machines are actually not leg presses per se. Using either of these machines one essentially pushes their body up and away from their feet. You start at the bottom position. There is an adjustment which allows you to bring you butt as close to your heels as is comfortable. On the downside, the machine makes it easier to lock out and the top of the movement. This is usually not recommend when doing leg presses because it can hurt your knees. With this "upside down" movement, locking out did not seem to affect my knees in a negative way.

The calf machines are variations on the usual movements. I did standing calf raises, "seated" calf raises which emulates doing them on the leg press only this makes them more comfortable. I finished off with the conventional plate loaded seated calf raise topping out at 135 lbs. For whatever reason, I find it hard to use a ton of weight with this movement, always have.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1707 on: May 15, 2016, 06:57:34 PM »
leg day also jay..

lying sled press warmed up ,,sets 200/240/280/300
close feet squat 225 x12,275x12,315x11
walking kettle ball lunges x2 up floor
extensions 205x12,220,235,235 all x12

hams
sldl 135/185/225/245

calves 5 sets leg press,2 sets standing calf raises

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1708 on: May 17, 2016, 06:44:27 AM »
Love reverse curls on the preacher. Good tip with the bench ala Larry scott. I sometimes use a High inclined bench. perfect for one arm Preacher curls too... just sayin.. :)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1709 on: May 17, 2016, 07:24:39 AM »
Love reverse curls on the preacher. Good tip with the bench ala Larry scott. I sometimes use a High inclined bench. perfect for one arm Preacher curls too... just sayin.. :)

KILLER  HAVE TO REVISIT THESE..

CHEST/TRI/ABS/TREADMILL

even though my shoulder still gets some soreness 'not like oct-feb 'though i'm getting stronger again press wise..

inc press in particular,,135x10/165x10/175x8/185 wooooooo.drop to 135 5-8 reps
fdb press palms in all the way pressing ,55/60/65 10reps
inc flyes 40/45/45 x10 these are ok rom is not where I was but close
low hammer chest press..2 plates x2x10,,2 plates and 25 x10 with cheat lol,,,225 x12
cable crossovers x2 x12

tris
trisets seated extension'padded',pushdowns,1 arm rope extensions 'rope to side of head then 'straight out x3 rounds
dip machine x3 170/180/190

abs

treadmill  

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1710 on: May 17, 2016, 07:45:46 AM »
KILLER  HAVE TO REVISIT THESE..

CHEST/TRI/ABS/TREADMILL

even though my shoulder still gets some soreness 'not like oct-feb 'though i'm getting stronger again press wise..

inc press in particular,,135x10/165x10/175x8/185 wooooooo.drop to 135 5-8 reps
fdb press palms in all the way pressing ,55/60/65 10reps
inc flyes 40/45/45 x10 these are ok rom is not where I was but close
low hammer chest press..2 plates x2x10,,2 plates and 25 x10 with cheat lol,,,225 x12
cable crossovers x2 x12

tris
trisets seated extension'padded',pushdowns,1 arm rope extensions 'rope to side of head then 'straight out x3 rounds
dip machine x3 170/180/190

abs es Today.

treadmill  
Good to hear Steve.. i trained Chest,tris,legs,calfes this morning. where the hell is Rich?. I will shoot him an Email...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1711 on: May 17, 2016, 07:48:11 AM »
also good to see you are getting some cardio in there Steve. I know you stay in shape all year round but your old pumper needs it. Main reason why i run and cycle.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1712 on: May 17, 2016, 09:23:59 AM »
also good to see you are getting some cardio in there Steve. I know you stay in shape all year round but your old pumper needs it. Main reason why i run and cycle.
dude I love the treadmill my calves have responded too  :),,,I walk on incline decent pace and throw in a few minutes jog then back down ,,,

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1713 on: May 17, 2016, 09:31:45 AM »
dude I love the treadmill my calves have responded too  :),,,I walk on incline decent pace and throw in a few minutes jog then back down ,,,
yes.. can do an interval type training...run...walk and repeat. I do this myself when running in the woods, i give "Gas" and then jog slow...keep repeating. Other times i keep a relatively constant tempo but go for distance.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1714 on: May 18, 2016, 02:36:33 PM »

I haven't tried doing these with free weight and support. I do them standing with the cable EZ curl bar.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1715 on: May 18, 2016, 02:42:07 PM »
Worked hams and calves yesterday. Went to another gym. A lot of the equipment was different than what I usually use. This required me to be pretty inventive. I did get all the movements in plus I added hip adductors. The abductor machine was under repair.

Today I will work back.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1716 on: May 18, 2016, 02:46:44 PM »
Back and Chest:

Pull ups 3 x max
Seated long pulls 2 x 12 170lbs.
dumbbell row off bench 2 x 10 80lbs
Hammer strength pulldowns 2 x 10

Seated Hammer strength bench 2 x 8 4 plates
Incline dumbbell bench 2 x 8 70lbs (all the way down)
flat flies 2 x 10 45lbs
machine flies 2 x 10 100lbs
push ups 1 x max

dead 2 x 4 300lbs then 1 x 1 315lbs
weighted hypers 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind head

Wheel roll out 2 x 20
Machine crunch 2 x 20

Gym Observations:

Feel so weak coming off being sick with a fever. Thought I was going to throw up at one point. I had trouble walking to my car.

Saw a guy sit in the hammer strength pulldown machine. He had no weight on the machine and he was built like a rock.  He must have been unfamiliar with the machine because I watched him move 45lbs plates from one weight holder on the machine to another weight holder. In other words he didn't put any weight on the bar you put the plates on for the exercise. He cursed loudly, "FUCK" as he pulled on the handles and realized there was no resistance.  I wasn't the only one that observed what he did and we all broke up laughing.  

New guy behind the counter. I normally train in the morning and this time I started about 3PM.  He shouts out, " A lot of Jack la Lanne type workouts today!"  Is that a compliment or an insult?  I will never know.

Girl with an incredible ass on the treadmill wearing those painted on black tights. Just wow. Turns out she is the biggest guy in the gym girlfriend. Was he mad guys were checking her out or proud?  

The owner was training a typical house wife 50 year old woman. Normally he doesn't push them but this one in the hack squat he made her do 20 reps.  She was dying.  The hack squat he has it doesn't take a lot of weight to make it hard if you go deep. She was doing rock bottom reps.  

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1717 on: May 20, 2016, 02:12:58 AM »
I haven't tried doing these with free weight and support. I do them standing with the cable EZ curl bar.
also a good exercise Jay. I like the Bench it really does do the trick for me. One exercise you never see being used is "zottman curls" with Dumbbells.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1718 on: May 20, 2016, 04:40:49 PM »
also a good exercise Jay. I like the Bench it really does do the trick for me. One exercise you never see being used is "zottman curls" with Dumbbells.

That's the beauty of this thread....there is almost no chance anyone would get bored working out because of the sharing of ideas for changing up one's routine. A lot of folks couldn't do Zottman's because they don't know what a strict movement is. Don't you just love it when someone is doing curls using their whole body including a little bounce for momentum? I'd forgotten about Zottman curls. Thanks for bringing this up.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1719 on: May 20, 2016, 04:55:17 PM »
Wednesday was a bust! I never made it to the gym. Anyhow I worked out my back on Thursday. I really enjoyed the workout, including the challenge of finding substitute equipment. It is interesting to me how on some machines I can use more resistance than when using free weights and on other machines I end up using less because the movement is too difficult. This just tells me that I am likely hitting the muscle from a different angle.

Today I worked shoulders. Friday afternoon traffic is a bitch. Fortunately, there was an LA Fitness right around the corner from where I had just attended a political luncheon. This is clearly one of the benefits of being able to go to different gyms. My annual membership at Oregon City Nautilus Plus came due this month. This morning I talked to Cheryl about whether to use Silver Sneakers of pay the annual dues. If I use Silver Sneakers, they will actually make more money since they get $3.00 for each visit. My annual membership is $220. So switching to Silver Sneakers is a win-win.

Tomorrow I will work chest. I have not decided where I'll go yet. Pretty much every gym I have been to has a good array of pec workout equipment.

Last night I did 100 body weight squats and 45 lunges for each leg while watching TV. I am so syked about getting in shape, I even work out when I am resting. Pretty crazy! 

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1720 on: May 20, 2016, 07:17:54 PM »
catching up...2 workout days

back

chinups x3 x12-15
t bar row 2 plates x10/2 plates and 25 x2
low cable rows 160/180/190
single arm pulldowns on cable attached to top done kneeling x3
low rope pulls to waist x3 from bottom pulley

weighted hypers x3 x12-15

shrugs on chest press
prime muscle version,,3 plates side/4/4 plates and 25,same with 2 drops down to 3 plates then 2 10 per drop..

abs
treadmill

fri
delt day
inner grip shoulder press machine x4
side latera.fr,rear lateral tri sets sick pump x3
cable uprights used handles 'single'than a bar x3
behind back cable raise x3

bi's
4 sets curls 70 lb bar 12 reps me and workout partner set to set pass bar back .
inc db curls 25/30/35
padded seated curl machine x3

reverse curl bar forearms curls x4
behind back wrist curls x4

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1721 on: May 21, 2016, 01:09:07 AM »
That's the beauty of this thread....there is almost no chance anyone would get bored working out because of the sharing of ideas for changing up one's routine. A lot of folks couldn't do Zottman's because they don't know what a strict movement is. Don't you just love it when someone is doing curls using their whole body including a little bounce for momentum? I'd forgotten about Zottman curls. Thanks for bringing this up.
I have not done them for a while either Jay.  :) was a Gironda favourite.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1722 on: May 23, 2016, 06:08:54 AM »
legs Saturday catchingup posting,,busy weekend lots of outdoor work moving'grass looks like a ballfield'immaculate took me yrs to get it close to perfect,mulched some plant/tree beds 'I have other ares that are 'stoned'too.

leg press usual worked up to 8 plates side
hammer v squat x3 finished 5 plates side
extensions x4

no lunges this week

hams
reverse leg curls 'lying'x4
sldl x4

calves leg press x5

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1723 on: May 24, 2016, 05:12:09 AM »
legs Saturday catchingup posting,,busy weekend lots of outdoor work moving'grass looks like a ballfield'immaculate took me yrs to get it close to perfect,mulched some plant/tree beds 'I have other ares that are 'stoned'too.

leg press usual worked up to 8 plates side
hammer v squat x3 finished 5 plates side
extensions x4

no lunges this week

hams
reverse leg curls 'lying'x4
sldl x4

calves leg press x5
sounds like you are getting enough exercise... Training will be in the Gym tonight and Cardio.. mix it up a bit with machines and also my cardio will be 15 mins on each machine, rowing,bike, crosser. Rowing machine really pumps up my back and forearms. During my rowing i change my grip. over,under and a mixed grip. this week is my Birthday so i will be the Big 50... i still feel like i am in my mid 30s. few Health problems along the way but hey...i am still alive ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1724 on: May 24, 2016, 07:39:22 AM »
sounds like you are getting enough exercise... Training will be in the Gym tonight and Cardio.. mix it up a bit with machines and also my cardio will be 15 mins on each machine, rowing,bike, crosser. Rowing machine really pumps up my back and forearms. During my rowing i change my grip. over,under and a mixed grip. this week is my Birthday so i will be the Big 50... i still feel like i am in my mid 30s. few Health problems along the way but hey...i am still alive ;D
happy birthday man...I agree with feeling younger over age #..I pop out of bed like nothing and ready to shower ...