Author Topic: Combining running and lifting  (Read 8429 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Combining running and lifting
« on: July 12, 2018, 06:44:28 PM »
Any thoughts on how to combine the two? Not talking about pure bodybuilding but more of a fitness viewpoint. Right now I'm lifting 3 days a week with about 6 sets a body part on a three way split. The off days I can hammer the runs but on lifting days the runs are slow as hell but I feel it's still beneficial. Thinking about changing it up because it's becoming hellish. I'm the highest body weight I have ever been in my life at 190lbs and 5'8". I think for the most part I look okay but I think health wise it's a mistake at this age. I'd like to get down to 175lbs.

One thought it to do a whole body routine twice a week then the running days are just devoted to that.

Another is to do a Yates type routine where I would warm up and nail that one set with a Yates 4 way split. I did this in the past with great results but I was 20 years younger or so. Don't know if I could do double sessions of cardio and a HIT to exhaustion routine in the same day like I did.

Last choice is just using moderate weights and volume. Again I would run into a double session day at times. Thinking of a 3 on and 1 off. Why this appeals to me it has an endurance component in itself with the volume.

Any thoughts on this?

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
Re: Combining running and lifting
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 03:27:08 AM »
Run on your off days a couple times week.

Give up Oreos and beer (cut calories) to lose the weight.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 03:04:13 PM »
Run on your off days a couple times week.

Give up Oreos and beer (cut calories) to lose the weight.
Used to run and lift in my 20's and no way could I do both now.  Running tears up joints and low back plus causes too much oxidization causing you to age much faster.  Just look at marathon runners.  Lifting every other day with low impact cardio on the days in between is the way to go.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 06:21:41 PM »
Used to run and lift in my 20's and no way could I do both now.  Running tears up joints and low back plus causes too much oxidization causing you to age much faster.  Just look at marathon runners.  Lifting every other day with low impact cardio on the days in between is the way to go.

My knees can't take running anymore.

Even lots of walking bothers me due to past injuries.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 02:50:13 AM »
Any thoughts on how to combine the two? Not talking about pure bodybuilding but more of a fitness viewpoint. Right now I'm lifting 3 days a week with about 6 sets a body part on a three way split. The off days I can hammer the runs but on lifting days the runs are slow as hell but I feel it's still beneficial. Thinking about changing it up because it's becoming hellish. I'm the highest body weight I have ever been in my life at 190lbs and 5'8". I think for the most part I look okay but I think health wise it's a mistake at this age. I'd like to get down to 175lbs.

One thought it to do a whole body routine twice a week then the running days are just devoted to that.

Another is to do a Yates type routine where I would warm up and nail that one set with a Yates 4 way split. I did this in the past with great results but I was 20 years younger or so. Don't know if I could do double sessions of cardio and a HIT to exhaustion routine in the same day like I did.

Last choice is just using moderate weights and volume. Again I would run into a double session day at times. Thinking of a 3 on and 1 off. Why this appeals to me it has an endurance component in itself with the volume.

Any thoughts on this?

Volume can lean you out from the many sets and reps with short rest. Instead of running, try powerwalking. Steve Reeves did this as did Yates. No need to run, that just wears you down and causes more trauma to the body. Powerwalking is non impact and is not as easy as some people think if done right. Take long strides like if you are marching and push up from the heels of your feet. If you do it like this I can guarantee you after 5-10 mins you’ll be feeling it.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 06:43:10 AM »
I'm changing my suggestion.

Run on same day you workout and take the next day off completely.

ponal

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 06:38:55 AM »
I'm changing my suggestion.

Run on same day you workout and take the next day off completely.

If you can go running after a heavy hard weight session, & recover then you aint Training very hard in either weight Training or running.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 08:27:50 AM »

If you can go running after a heavy hard weight session, & recover then you aint Training very hard in either weight Training or running.

So...no cardio after doing weights.

But...doing cardio before weights means you can't hit the weights hard.

If you run hard the day before you lift you can't lift as hard.

If you train legs hard with weights the day before you lift your legs will be tired and you can't run hard.

A quandary.

ponal

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 03:37:51 AM »
So...no cardio after doing weights.

But...doing cardio before weights means you can't hit the weights hard.

If you run hard the day before you lift you can't lift as hard.

If you train legs hard with weights the day before you lift your legs will be tired and you can't run hard.

A quandary.
simple as this bro.. you want big muscles you train for that Goal.  power Walking will not kill your GAINZ. Hard cardio will kill your GAINZ bro. you will never be big like a silver back if you kill yourself with hard cardio.