Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > Training Q&A

Seated behind the neck presses feel great, why are they "bad for the shoulder"?

(1/18) > >>

purenaturalstrength:
seems like i can add this to the list of myths like "squats are bad for the knees" and "cardio kills gains"

mantronik:
They are not a natural movement according to the guru's.
I say if you have enough flexibility to do them without pain, go ahead!!
It's a different story if you load up the bar and then drop the weight behind your neck and then have to contract again from almost no active tension to get the weight back up.
I like them too and never took them out despite all these stories.

purenaturalstrength:

--- Quote from: mantronik on March 07, 2012, 11:23:46 AM ---They are not a natural movement according to the guru's.
I say if you have enough flexibility to do them without pain, go ahead!!
It's a different story if you load up the bar and then drop the weight behind your neck and then have to contract again from almost no active tension to get the weight back up.
I like them too and never took them out despite all these stories.

--- End quote ---

ed coan did them and these russia weightlifting guys also do them even from completely on the traps

i never did them because of these stories

now i started doing them i feel i've been missing out

mass243:

It's not "bad for your shoulders" if movement is controlled and your shoulders are healthy, have normal mobility.

I also love this exercise.
Just don't lower the bar under the ear level... though I have had no problems from going lower occasionally myself.

BB:
Yeah, it's one of those things where you're either perfectly fine with them or they absolutely wreck you. I think it mainly has to do with grip and bar position. Too many guys get locked into "I must do it this way because XYZ says to do them this way". Just do an exercise  the way it feels the best and most natural to you.

The presses have been part of Olympic Lifting for years, if they were that bad for you, the hospitals would be flowing with half broken lifters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version