Author Topic: To Know me is to love me  (Read 1689 times)

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
To Know me is to love me
« on: October 22, 2007, 06:41:53 PM »
Birth year : 1970

Weight Class: 275

Off Season Weight: I did not know there was an off season

Residence: Originally from Aiken, SC. I now reside in Easley, SC

Status: Married..with children - (3) Almost like the TV show

Federation: APA-WPA

Q: What is your athletic background?

A: Well, I played organized football from second grad through high school. My dad liked to tell people I played guard, tackle and end. He said that I sat on the end of the bench, guarded the water bucket and tackled anyone who came near it. In truth, during elementary ball I spent time playing both guard positions as well as center at times. Quarterback in the red zone. ( I did score a tow point conversion one time. I missed the hand off to the fullback and the tailback ran into me--knocking me in the end zone.) For the most part I played middle linebacker and was on all the special teams.

In middle school I was the center and played on all the special teams. I was big and fast. I played church league softball spending time as short stop, occasionally pitching and catching. The last time I checked there are still a few records in my name for the church's team. It will take someone a number of years to break them. It isn't easy fouling out and I have no doubt I will be the "strike-out king" for many more years.

Entering high school I benched pressed 135 lbs. and ran a 5.5 forty yard dash. Senior year I had a 405 bench and a 4.7 forty yard dash at a bodyweight of 185. I was also on the chess team...or in the club... really just a place to get out of study hall.

I started a powerlifting team in college. It lasted a whole year. I played A LOT of pickup and church league basketball. It is a true statement to say that I could "rain it" like Larry Bird and dominate the low post like Charles Barkely.

Q: What got you into powerlifting?

A: As I mentioned, I started a powerlifting team during my college years. While I was rehabbing from knee surgery, the team dissolved. I met the girl; married the girl; divorced the girl. Got a real job, a few years went by, met "THE ONE AND ONLY GIRL"; married her; raised children; went to work; came home; went to work; came home; blah, blah, blah. While talking about the "good ole' days" with my high school best friend, we both realized that we didn't have any "knew" material. We decided to do something about that. The next day I woke up and told my wife I was going to get a gym membership and get back into shape. A free week membership to the local YMCA had just arrived in the mail, so I went to check it out. While there, I saw some guys playing football on the soccer field. They invited me to play. Let me tell ya, I was having a career day. I was a little slower and not as cardiovascularly in shape as they, but I made up for it with my experience. Proper pursuit angles, veteran coverage skills. They could not handle my stiff arms. I was laying them out like LT, (THE LT, Lawrence Taylor) dropping hits over the middle like Ronnie Lott. TOUCH DOWNS, SACKS and TOTAL DOMINATION! Then little Timmy got a nose bleed so all the 5th graders told me to beat it. WHINEY BABIES!!

I checked out the basketball gymnasium. I was picked to play and was doing a good job. On our first possession they passed me the ball into the corner and I dropped in a rainbow from 3 (nothing but net), ran down to the other end and played some D, my guy did not score. We ran back and they passed me the ball again! I sank another deep 3 from the top of the key. I ran up and down three more times and then they replaced me. Huh? They said "we've been up and down this court 30 times and you've only made it 5 times and every time you touch the ball you shoot." I then went into the weight room. Once in there I remembered all the days of summer training. I remembered having 20" cut arms, a 21" neck, a cut, chiseled chest and a V tapered back. Now I had to tell my kids that my chest fell into my stomach and that these "love handles" were in case I had to cross a desert.

I got into powerlifting because it was easier to train for a goal when you have a cut off date and I like to eat junk food so bodybuilding was out of the question.

Q: Are you drug free:

A: No. I started HRT in August, 2006. I knew since 2003 - 2004 that I had low testosterone. There were a few things I wanted to do before I started HRT. I was taking a supplement that increased my Test level but it was $20 a bottle and only lasted 7-10 days. I went on HRT because with a Rx the "real deal" costs less. So what? I have to compete in the non-tested division. Yes, to some PL is about the trophies and records. My records will be broken, my t trophies are under the bed and in the closet collecting dust. To me, PL allows me the chance to once again challenge myself to be my best on a certain date, much like other sports challenged me when I was younger.

Q: What do you get from powerlifting?

A: The joy of sacrifice, joy of pain, joy of torment, the ability to overcome self doubt, the struggle, the fear of failure, sense of pride, class, courage and the will to succeed and win. The satisfaction not so much for reaching the goal, but from the journey to reach the goal. The battle between the mind and body.

Q: What records have you set?

A: 10 state records, approximately 4 American and 2-3 world records in the squat. I would have had 2 state submaster records to brag about in the bench press but the true record holders were not updated when I did my lifts so they don't count. Thanks a lot Kate! I set 6 state records in the deadlift. The only records I care about are my PR's. The only person who will ever break my PR's is me.

Q: Anyone you want to thank?

A: Fellow lifters, loaders and spotter, Robin Phillips, Sam Warren, Nick Roe, Lance, Gregg Morgan, Scott "chisel chest", BIG Craig, Boobie, Graham & Patty Sesler, all of the basketball playing "Friday night squat watchers", Gregg, Amy and Steve, Chris Liles, Steve Moore, Mikki Free, Carl Stanley, Erin Cooke, Andy "HALFTON" Painter, George Rollins and Shannon Pole-Summers.

Medical team: Dr. Joe Carrano (chiropractor), Jennifer (massage therapist), Dr. Tim Brown (biceps and shoulder surgeon), Kelly (physical therapist for all my surgeries). Special thanks to my wife Teresa and children for putting up with this obsession, Wade Johnson for suggestions on form and mental focus for squats and deadlifts, Kate Taillon, APA SC State Chair for the use of her gym and running great meets), Mark Pritchard, Brad and Bart Kelley for working with me on my bench form and tweaking my shirt between lifts.

I am sure there are a lot I have forgotten to mention and there will be many more to thank in the future.
sept 10th APF

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Re: To Know me is to love me
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 08:40:43 PM »
Now I know you but I just dont feel the love.

Not sure I want to though. ;)

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
Re: To Know me is to love me
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 12:12:22 AM »
Birth year : 1970

Weight Class: 275

Off Season Weight: I did not know there was an off season

Residence: Originally from Aiken, SC. I now reside in Easley, SC

Status: Married..with children - (3) Almost like the TV show

Federation: APA-WPA

Q: What is your athletic background?

A: Well, I played organized football from second grad through high school. My dad liked to tell people I played guard, tackle and end. He said that I sat on the end of the bench, guarded the water bucket and tackled anyone who came near it. In truth, during elementary ball I spent time playing both guard positions as well as center at times. Quarterback in the red zone. ( I did score a tow point conversion one time. I missed the hand off to the fullback and the tailback ran into me--knocking me in the end zone.) For the most part I played middle linebacker and was on all the special teams.

In middle school I was the center and played on all the special teams. I was big and fast. I played church league softball spending time as short stop, occasionally pitching and catching. The last time I checked there are still a few records in my name for the church's team. It will take someone a number of years to break them. It isn't easy fouling out and I have no doubt I will be the "strike-out king" for many more years.

Entering high school I benched pressed 135 lbs. and ran a 5.5 forty yard dash. Senior year I had a 405 bench and a 4.7 forty yard dash at a bodyweight of 185. I was also on the chess team...or in the club... really just a place to get out of study hall.

I started a powerlifting team in college. It lasted a whole year. I played A LOT of pickup and church league basketball. It is a true statement to say that I could "rain it" like Larry Bird and dominate the low post like Charles Barkely.

Q: What got you into powerlifting?

A: As I mentioned, I started a powerlifting team during my college years. While I was rehabbing from knee surgery, the team dissolved. I met the girl; married the girl; divorced the girl. Got a real job, a few years went by, met "THE ONE AND ONLY GIRL"; married her; raised children; went to work; came home; went to work; came home; blah, blah, blah. While talking about the "good ole' days" with my high school best friend, we both realized that we didn't have any "knew" material. We decided to do something about that. The next day I woke up and told my wife I was going to get a gym membership and get back into shape. A free week membership to the local YMCA had just arrived in the mail, so I went to check it out. While there, I saw some guys playing football on the soccer field. They invited me to play. Let me tell ya, I was having a career day. I was a little slower and not as cardiovascularly in shape as they, but I made up for it with my experience. Proper pursuit angles, veteran coverage skills. They could not handle my stiff arms. I was laying them out like LT, (THE LT, Lawrence Taylor) dropping hits over the middle like Ronnie Lott. TOUCH DOWNS, SACKS and TOTAL DOMINATION! Then little Timmy got a nose bleed so all the 5th graders told me to beat it. WHINEY BABIES!!

I checked out the basketball gymnasium. I was picked to play and was doing a good job. On our first possession they passed me the ball into the corner and I dropped in a rainbow from 3 (nothing but net), ran down to the other end and played some D, my guy did not score. We ran back and they passed me the ball again! I sank another deep 3 from the top of the key. I ran up and down three more times and then they replaced me. Huh? They said "we've been up and down this court 30 times and you've only made it 5 times and every time you touch the ball you shoot." I then went into the weight room. Once in there I remembered all the days of summer training. I remembered having 20" cut arms, a 21" neck, a cut, chiseled chest and a V tapered back. Now I had to tell my kids that my chest fell into my stomach and that these "love handles" were in case I had to cross a desert.

I got into powerlifting because it was easier to train for a goal when you have a cut off date and I like to eat junk food so bodybuilding was out of the question.

Q: Are you drug free:

A: No. I started HRT in August, 2006. I knew since 2003 - 2004 that I had low testosterone. There were a few things I wanted to do before I started HRT. I was taking a supplement that increased my Test level but it was $20 a bottle and only lasted 7-10 days. I went on HRT because with a Rx the "real deal" costs less. So what? I have to compete in the non-tested division. Yes, to some PL is about the trophies and records. My records will be broken, my t trophies are under the bed and in the closet collecting dust. To me, PL allows me the chance to once again challenge myself to be my best on a certain date, much like other sports challenged me when I was younger.

Q: What do you get from powerlifting?

A: The joy of sacrifice, joy of pain, joy of torment, the ability to overcome self doubt, the struggle, the fear of failure, sense of pride, class, courage and the will to succeed and win. The satisfaction not so much for reaching the goal, but from the journey to reach the goal. The battle between the mind and body.

Q: What records have you set?

A: 10 state records, approximately 4 American and 2-3 world records in the squat. I would have had 2 state submaster records to brag about in the bench press but the true record holders were not updated when I did my lifts so they don't count. Thanks a lot Kate! I set 6 state records in the deadlift. The only records I care about are my PR's. The only person who will ever break my PR's is me.

Q: Anyone you want to thank?

A: Fellow lifters, loaders and spotter, Robin Phillips, Sam Warren, Nick Roe, Lance, Gregg Morgan, Scott "chisel chest", BIG Craig, Boobie, Graham & Patty Sesler, all of the basketball playing "Friday night squat watchers", Gregg, Amy and Steve, Chris Liles, Steve Moore, Mikki Free, Carl Stanley, Erin Cooke, Andy "HALFTON" Painter, George Rollins and Shannon Pole-Summers.

Medical team: Dr. Joe Carrano (chiropractor), Jennifer (massage therapist), Dr. Tim Brown (biceps and shoulder surgeon), Kelly (physical therapist for all my surgeries). Special thanks to my wife Teresa and children for putting up with this obsession, Wade Johnson for suggestions on form and mental focus for squats and deadlifts, Kate Taillon, APA SC State Chair for the use of her gym and running great meets), Mark Pritchard, Brad and Bart Kelley for working with me on my bench form and tweaking my shirt between lifts.

I am sure there are a lot I have forgotten to mention and there will be many more to thank in the future.

Aren't you the "guy" who does all of "his" benching on a Smith Machine?