Author Topic: denaturing of proteins  (Read 702 times)

Get SWOLE!!

• Getbig I
denaturing of proteins
« on: November 19, 2008, 06:26:05 AM »
So I've been trying to find information on if protein denatures. For instance if an egg has 6g of protein raw, does that decrease once a chemical reaction, cooking, is introduced? Is it the same for meats as well? I would def assume burning or way over cooking would destroy nutritional properties of the food, but is there a certain temperature where proteins begin to breakdown, leaving the availability at less than what is advertised on the product?

Wierd question I know, but intriguing to me on diet creation. A chart showing this would be awsome.

Thanks all

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Re: denaturing of proteins
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 07:24:05 PM »
So I've been trying to find information on if protein denatures. For instance if an egg has 6g of protein raw, does that decrease once a chemical reaction, cooking, is introduced? Is it the same for meats as well? I would def assume burning or way over cooking would destroy nutritional properties of the food, but is there a certain temperature where proteins begin to breakdown, leaving the availability at less than what is advertised on the product?

Wierd question I know, but intriguing to me on diet creation. A chart showing this would be awsome.

Thanks all

I think proteins begin to denature at 115 degrees. Temperature isnt the only factor that can be manipulated to denature proteins. Acids and bases can denatures protein. Im sure there are other chemicals that also do this.

From what I learned about digestive phsyiology in college, Proteins have to get denatured to absorbed. The strong acid in your stomach, HCL, denatures proteins which changes their molecular shape (unfloding them), This then exposes active sites that were hidden within the protein. The exposed active sites allows for more productive enzymatic attack in the intestines.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 07:31:02 AM »

I think proteins begin to denature at 115 degrees. Temperature isnt the only factor that can be manipulated to denature proteins. Acids and bases can denatures protein. Im sure there are other chemicals that also do this.

From what I learned about digestive phsyiology in college, Proteins have to get denatured to absorbed. The strong acid in your stomach, HCL, denatures proteins which changes their molecular shape (unfloding them), This then exposes active sites that were hidden within the protein. The exposed active sites allows for more productive enzymatic attack in the intestines.

protien denatures anyway..it's how it's digested. Cooking is a way of easing the digesting process and prevent sickness among other things. As far as protien GRAMS loss during cooking? There's not enough lost to make a difference. If you're worried about it that much in regards to your food, just get a quality protien blend for a supplement and take it daily and you should be squared away needs wise.

Get SWOLE!!

• Getbig I
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 07:01:39 PM »
great information. Thanks. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't denaturing the proteins so much that they weren't beneficial to me. But now that I know I'm good to go. Thanks again