Getbig Misc Discussion Boards > Sports Discussion Boards

Niners

<< < (3/99) > >>

UPINTHEMGUTS:

--- Quote from: Beach Bum on April 14, 2014, 02:21:28 PM ---I don't know what is wrong with him. 

Wait.  Actually I do know what part of the problem might be.  I've said for years that taking a kid with poor life training and turning him into an overnight millionaire is a recipe for disaster.  I remember Lawrence Taylor talking about how his drug habit started because he was walking about with six figures spending money and didn't find a productive way to spend the money. 

These kids have no oversight.  Nobody telling them "no."  Surrounded by leaches. 

I don't know if this kid had poor life training, but that could be part of the problem (along with the money). 

--- End quote ---

The thing about the life training is that these atheltes, especially the rookies, do receive life training at these rookie symposiums. Whether it's financial advice or advice from police officers reagrding the law, the guys do get exposed to these realities from the very start. It's up to them as to whether or not they want to heed these advices or think they are above all that. There is a % of the world population that are just plain stupid knuckleheads and always find themselves in trouble. A small number of pro athletes can and will fall under that %. These are young men who are about to earn millions of dollars and have no idea how to mentally prepare for that.

What ever happened to being just plain stupid or crazy? Enough with the excuses for his behavior or any other knucklehead.

Dos Equis:

--- Quote from: UPINTHEMGUTS on April 15, 2014, 08:38:42 AM ---The thing about the life training is that these atheltes, especially the rookies, do receive life training at these rookie symposiums. Whether it's financial advice or advice from police officers reagrding the law, the guys do get exposed to these realities from the very start. It's up to them as to whether or not they want to heed these advices or think they are above all that. There is a % of the world population that are just plain stupid knuckleheads and always find themselves in trouble. A small number of pro athletes can and will fall under that %. These are young men who are about to earn millions of dollars and have no idea how to mentally prepare for that.

What ever happened to being just plain stupid or crazy? Enough with the excuses for his behavior or any other knucklehead.

--- End quote ---

A few hours in a meeting will not compensate for a failure to provide a kid with proper training during his formative years.  It's too late already. 

My pie in the sky solution is to make a college degree a prerequisite to playing major professional sports.  Will never happen, but it would prevent a lot of this stuff IMO.  Look at the knuckleheads in professional sports.  How many of them have college degrees?  I've never looked at the percentages, but I'd be willing to bet the overwhelming majority of professional athletes who actually finished school rarely show up on the police blotter.   

Dos Equis:
I guess this isn't as a bad as the first headline, but what the heck are they doing in a hotel room at midnight with one drunk/high naked female on the bed??  Idiots. 

And this cuts directly against what I just said about college degrees, because Kaepernick graduated from Nevada.   :-\

Report: Lockette called 911 after woman refused to leave apartment
Posted on April 14, 2014
by Eric Branch   

Seahawks wide receiver Ricardo Lockette made a 911 call at 12:03 a.m. on April 2 after arguing with the unnamed 25-year-old woman at the center of a Miami police investigation that also involves 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick and wide receiver Quinton Patton, Andy Slater of 940-AM in Miami reported today.

According to a Miami police incident search report, Lockette called from the Viceroy Hotel after the woman, who was lying naked on Kaepernick’s bed, refused to leave. In response, a Crisis Intervention Team was summoned to Apt. 4710. The woman was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital by the Miami fire department.

According to the program’s web site, Florida’s CIT is a “police response program designed for first responders who handle crisis calls involving people with mental illness including those with co-occurring substance abuse disorders.”

In a Miami police incident report taken on April 3, the woman says she blacked out after drinking shots and smoking marijuana in the players’ company and woke up in a hospital bed. The woman said she blacked out when she was naked on a bed, where she had been with Kaepernick. She said they did not have sex, but had done so in the past. The woman was reportedly given a rape test at the hospital.

On Friday, Kaepernick, on Twitter, blasted an initial report that claimed he was being investigated for sexual assault.

“The charges made in the TMZ story and other stories I’ve seen are completely wrong,” Kaepernick said. “They make things up about me that never happened. I take great pride in who I am and what I do, but I guess sometimes you have to deal with someone who makes things up …. I assure you that your faith is not misplaced.”

The players have not been charged with crimes. The investigation is being conducted by the Miami Police Department’s Special Victims Unit, which investigates sexual battery and other serious crimes.

Today, a Miami police spokesman said he had no update on the investigation.

Charges are “not likely” to be filed today against 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith after he allegedly made a false bomb threat at Los International Airport, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office said. It’s possible, of course, that charges will be filed later this week.

Smith is already scheduled to appear in Santa Clara Superior Court on April 29 regarding a DUI arrest and three felony weapons charges stemming from last year.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/04/14/report-lockette-called-911-after-woman-refused-to-leave-apartment/

UPINTHEMGUTS:

--- Quote from: Beach Bum on April 15, 2014, 11:55:18 AM ---A few hours in a meeting will not compensate for a failure to provide a kid with proper training during his formative years.  It's too late already. 

My pie in the sky solution is to make a college degree a prerequisite to playing major professional sports.  Will never happen, but it would prevent a lot of this stuff IMO.  Look at the knuckleheads in professional sports.  How many of them have college degrees?  I've never looked at the percentages, but I'd be willing to bet the overwhelming majority of professional athletes who actually finished school rarely show up on the police blotter.   

--- End quote ---

LOL.....Earning millions of dollars will always trump an education. I do agree with your opinion of athletes with degrees not getting in trouble with the law.

An interesting parallel is the NBA. Charles Barkley's opinion is that college basketball players should stay at least 3 years, if not try to attain their degree. No more high school players jumping straight to the pro level or no more one and done college players. He thinks the quality of the NBA games would be much better because the rookies coming in would have a much more defined skill set to their game and would be more physically mature. I agree with this.

Unfortunately, this will never happen either. The only NBA player with a four year degree that I can think of that is a true superstar(or at least used to be) is Tim Duncan. He's 38 years old and a 17 year veteran. What does that tell you? lol

Dos Equis:

--- Quote from: UPINTHEMGUTS on April 15, 2014, 12:07:23 PM ---LOL.....Earning millions of dollars will always trump an education. I do agree with your opinion of athletes with degrees not getting in trouble with the law.

An interesting parallel is the NBA. Charles Barkley's opinion is that college basketball players should stay at least 3 years, if not try to attain their degree. No more high school players jumping straight to the pro level or no more one and done college players. He thinks the quality of the NBA games would be much better because the rookies coming in would have a much more defined skill set to their game and would be more physically mature. I agree with this.

Unfortunately, this will never happen either. The only NBA player with a four year degree that I can think of that is a true superstar(or at least used to be) is Tim Duncan. He's 38 years old and a 17 year veteran. What does that tell you? lol

--- End quote ---

There are others in the NBA with degrees, but they are not necessarily superstars:  Grant Hill (recently retired), Derek Fisher, Shane Battier, J.J. Reddick, etc.  What you typically find is the same kind of person.  Unlikely to see those guys at a night club at 3 a.m. with a loaded weapon in their pocket. 

I agree with Barkely too.  They do it in the NFL (must be three years out of high school).  Don't see why they cannot do it in the NBA. 

But I doubt anything changes. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version