Author Topic: Decline press  (Read 4438 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Decline press
« on: March 21, 2020, 11:31:43 AM »
I tried decline pressing in the commercial gym and was pleased it didn't aggravate my bad shoulder. I just bought a decline bench for my home gym.  I am new to the movement. Any tips on doing it?  Using Dumbbells do you dump them when finished or attempt to sit up with the weight?  Another motivator to buy it was watching a video by Yates praising the movement as a great chest movement. In the past I never bothered with the movement in commercial gyms or at work gyms due to what I perceived as a danger if I failed with a rep.  Going to use dumbbells at home. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Decline press
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 11:47:46 AM »
When doing these at home, it is good you will be using dumbbells as opposed to a barbell. If you can sit up with the weight, more power to you. I'd dump them if it were me. Of course, this also depends on your home gym's floor construction.

Some folks find declines more difficult than flat bench presses. I actually think they are easier. Doing them at the gym, I use a Smith rack. It can be interesting getting in and out of position on this, but since you can lock the weight out at any point and also limit how low you go with it, it is much safer. I've also done them on the typical decline bench at the gym. Ask someone to spot you. This really gives you the confidence you need to push out a couple more reps.

I'm not going to the gym this weekend even though it is still open. Instead, I am going to figure out what I can do at home. Our governor has issued a stay at home directive, but it isn't mandated yet. We will see what happens by Monday.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 12:33:58 PM »
There was a famous bodybuilder who really liked declines.

Vern Weaver.

Basically, declines are the same as dips but the range of motion is less with declines.

Why not do declines in a power rack with a barbell?  Set the safety bars short of killing yourself.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 01:20:51 PM »
There was a famous bodybuilder who really liked declines.

Vern Weaver.

Basically, declines are the same as dips but the range of motion is less with declines.

Why not do declines in a power rack with a barbell?  Set the safety bars short of killing yourself.

I don't have a power rack and the commercial decline bench at the gym is a monster. I doubt the owner would want me dragging it to his power rack across the gym. It's bigger than this picture illustrates. Dips involve a lot more delt than a decline.

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 01:47:18 PM »
They are a great chest builder, most bodybuilders lack lower chest mass, the thing that most people don't like is that blood pressure going to the head as you do reps with 365 lbs on the decline. I stick to Gironda dips for lower chest mass

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 01:53:48 PM »
I don't have a power rack and the commercial decline bench at the gym is a monster. I doubt the owner would want me dragging it to his power rack across the gym. It's bigger than this picture illustrates. Dips involve a lot more delt than a decline.

OT,

You need a power rack!

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 02:02:35 PM »

without a power frame or some sort of cradle/ spotter ... the decline press with bar is much more dangerous than the bench press. The mechanics are different and your sense of balance and location will be different
c

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 02:37:36 PM »
They are a great chest builder, most bodybuilders lack lower chest mass, the thing that most people don't like is that blood pressure going to the head as you do reps with 365 lbs on the decline. I stick to Gironda dips for lower chest mass

I don't think I will be doing declines with 365lbs any time soon.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 02:41:12 PM »
OT,

You need a power rack!

I really have no need. My squat racks have built in safety bars. I also have adjustable free standing safety racks that might work for a barbell using the decline bench. It's being delivered next week. I probably will be doing dumbbells only on it.

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 04:44:42 PM »
I don't think I will be doing declines with 365lbs any time soon.
Why not? I was repping 365 lbs on the decline at age 17-18

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 04:49:20 PM »
Why not? I was repping 365 lbs on the decline at age 17-18

Because I'm old, fragile and small. What do you bench, 470lbs? What are some of your other lifts?  Really impressive declines. 

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 05:23:49 PM »
Because I'm old, fragile and small. What do you bench, 470lbs? What are some of your other lifts?  Really impressive declines. 
The most i've ever benched was 460 lbs raw, in the gym, I'm not even sure of what I can bench nowadays, probably 360 lbs