Author Topic: Dog tore a claw off last night  (Read 10136 times)

Skeeter

Dog tore a claw off last night
« on: May 04, 2017, 08:01:49 AM »
My greyhound (Rocket) was running in the backyard last night and tore his claw right off. I bandaged him up pretty well and thought I stopped the bleeding. I made the (bad) decision to take my son to his BJJ class and pick up some more gauze on the way home. Apparently I was wrong about the bleeding. Blood everywhere. Had to take him for an emergency vet visit(third vet we stopped at) which cost me almost $500. He's fine now but what a disaster of a night.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: Dog tore a claw off last night
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 09:12:24 AM »
My greyhound (Rocket) was running in the backyard last night and tore his claw right off. I bandaged him up pretty well and thought I stopped the bleeding. I made the (bad) decision to take my son to his BJJ class and pick up some more gauze on the way home. Apparently I was wrong about the bleeding. Blood everywhere. Had to take him for an emergency vet visit(third vet we stopped at) which cost me almost $500. He's fine now but what a disaster of a night.

Poor baby  :'(  I hope he's ok.

What do you do you do if you have a mishap by cutting too far, causing pain and dog nail bleeding? The best thing is to be prepared in advance and have emergency supplies within reach. You will be able to quickly stop the bleeding, relieve the pain, save your carpets from stains and greatly lessen the chance of a nail infection.

The easiest and most effective way to stop dog nail bleeding is with styptic powder or a styptic pencil, which can be purchased at most major pet stores and pharmacies. Be cautioned, however, that styptic powder will provide an initial sting, so be prepared to hold onto the dog firmly while applying. Several home remedies also work, depending on the severity of the bleeding. A mix of corn starch and baking soda often works well (or, simply, cornstarch alone), while rubbing a clean bar of scent-free soap or a wet tea bag on the nail at the spot of lesser bleeding can also be effective. No home remedy, however, will be as instantly effective as styptic powder. Also keep a clean cloth, paper towels and ice nearby.

If you accidentally cut into the quick, immediately compress the wound for at least two minutes with a clean cloth or paper towel. If the bleeding is minor, try rubbing a bar of clean, scent-free soap over it. If the bleeding is steady, wrapping ice within the compressed cloth or paper towel will help lessen the blood flow. Next cup your hand and pour some styptic powder or cornstarch (with or without baking soda) into the palm. Gently dip the dog’s bleeding nail into the powder, repeating if the bleeding doesn’t come to an immediate stop. Don’t wipe away the blood before dipping because it will aid coagulation. Once bleeding does cease, continue to compress the wound with a paper towel or cloth, being cautious not to squeeze the paw. Try to keep the dog off his feet for at least 30 minutes.

Once you are sure that the dog nail bleeding has been stopped, wash the affected nail with lukewarm water and bandage to prevent licking and infection. If bleeding cannot be controlled after 20 – 30 minutes, proper clotting is not taking place and a veterinarian should be consulted immediately. Also consult a vet if the dog’s toe later becomes red, swollen or does not appear to be improving after a few days.

Flour can also help in a pinch.
:

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 04:06:24 PM »
^ Really good post.  It might help someone.

And you should try to determine exactly how he tore it, Skeeter.  See if there's anything to be changed or fixed.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 05:52:08 AM »
When you buy that styptic pencil, get a couple...one for humans...handy for minor human bleeding.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 07:07:11 PM »
When you buy that styptic pencil, get a couple...one for humans...handy for minor human bleeding.

I thought all men had that in their shaving kit  ???
:

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 03:07:52 PM »
My normal shaving kit is a Bic Disposable and a can of Foamy...