Author Topic: entering a new chapter, anyone with valuable input welcome  (Read 2712 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
entering a new chapter, anyone with valuable input welcome
« on: October 25, 2021, 09:29:54 PM »
Background- Been retired since 2016. Live on Treasure Island in Florida. Rent is $3400 and electricity is a whopping $350 May-Oct.

We want to explore the world and our lease is up in May 2022.

Its just me and the wife. We have a $10,000 a month budget. we are struggling between  finding a cheap rental in the Tampa Bay area to house our belongings (2 Bedrooms, office, living and dining room) or just finding a climate control storage and going all in with the traveling. Our goal is to spend 1 two or 3 months in a furnished location and then moving to the next. Our targets are Europe.. Italy, France, Germany, Spain, but also South and Central America.

Its a big change in what I'm used to and if anyone has any advice, experience I would love to heart it.

djliftsthings

• Getbig IV
  • RIP Pellius
Re: entering a new chapter, anyone with valuable input welcome
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 10:03:37 PM »
Background- Been retired since 2016. Live on Treasure Island in Florida. Rent is $3400 and electricity is a whopping $350 May-Oct.

Its just me and the wife. We have a $10,000 a month budget. we are struggling between  finding a cheap rental in the Tampa Bay area to house our belongings (2 Bedrooms, office, living and dining room) or just finding a climate control storage and going all in with the traveling. Our goal is to spend 1 two or 3 months in a furnished location and then moving to the next. Our targets are Europe.. Italy, France, Germany, Spain, but also South and Central America.

Its a big change in what I'm used to and if anyone has any advice, experience I would love to heart it.

personally I dont get how this is even a decision. One life to live--travel it up
"

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 10:21:06 PM »

no home base?

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 10:39:17 PM »
Store or sell anything you don't "need".

There are very few things you really "need".

Travel all over the world and enjoy life.

Make sure you plan ahead a good year.

You won't need a permanent place if you plan ahead.

My parents have been doing this for the last 4-5 years.

Stay as far as you can away from Central/South America.

Those areas are better spent 1-2 weeks at a time.

You will become a target.

There are some nice American friendly places in Mexico, but anything south of that i would not recommend longer term. I've lived down there and you couldn't pay me to return for more than a week or two.

Stephano

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 01:33:34 AM »

There are some nice American friendly places in Mexico, but anything south of that i would not recommend longer term. I've lived down there and you couldn't pay me to return for more than a week or two.

Chile is one of the most beautiful countries I've ever been to, and extremely safe.  Argentina and Peru are also mostly fine.  He'll be okay if he ventures there.  I agree that the rest of South and Central America is best avoided.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 03:06:50 AM »

Got a few bucks I can borrow ?   ;D

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 05:48:04 AM »
Throw away what you don’t need, and keep your nice furniture in a climate controlled storage place so it doesn’t get rat infested. We remodeled our house a s when I went back 6 months later I wished I’d have thrown half of it away.

As far as travel goes, you’ve got a decent amount of money to do what you want. I’d go to the Caribbean, although you’re in Florida so maybe you don’t want to do that? Stay off season in places to save money. Maybe head to Europe now as it is not tourist season and then after April head to the Caribbean when their tourist season is over. Weather is always the same but it’s cheaper because all the snow birds are gone. PM me if you want a link to the vacation rental place I use in Sint Maarten.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 06:26:46 AM »

Congratulations!

Don't let your woman get another little dog.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 02:56:53 PM »
Dump the broad and tag whores.

Order pizza for dinner.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 03:16:57 PM »
Dump the broad and tag whores.

Order pizza for dinner.

^Tony Robbins^

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 03:48:11 PM »
Chile is one of the most beautiful countries I've ever been to, and extremely safe.  Argentina and Peru are also mostly fine.  He'll be okay if he ventures there.  I agree that the rest of South and Central America is best avoided.

Chile is definitely a diamond in the rough.

Fair point.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 07:10:51 PM »
no home base?

That's a possibility. Right now we live in the Tampa Bay area and rents have increased quite a bit in the last 2 years. I was thinking of finding a condo or apartment for around $1500 to use as a home base and storage for our things. Utilities would add some to that cost.

Or just renting a 10'X20 climate controlled storage unit for around $300 to $400 a month.. but have no home base. There are obvious pros and cons to both options.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 07:13:07 PM »

That's good information. We're pretty familiar with Mexico, People keep telling us a few places in Columbia are safe and good for 3 months or so. I'm a little hesitant especially lately. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 07:14:26 PM »
Got a few bucks I can borrow ?   ;D

By  GetBig standards I'm barely getting by. I was hoping you might Venmo a few bucks my way

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 07:17:58 PM »
Congratulations!

Don't let your woman get another little dog.

Surprisingly she has agreed to wait a few years until we're done traveling. No way we could do this with a dog. (Or no way I would do this with a dog)

Notomorrow

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2021, 08:20:21 PM »
I lived in Guadalajara, Mexico for 7 years and it is a wonderful place to live. Definitely the bodybuilding capital of Mexico, as I trained at John Romano's gym, met him several times there(used to be a Golds Gym franchise but now called Gym Guadalajara). The crime and kidnappings and all that is WAY overstated. Moreover, the crime is financially based, so don't walk around with jewelry and shit and you're fine. As far as all the kidnappings and murders, that's Cartel or political stuff and they don't mess with normal citizens, especially American's as they know how important tourism is.  Walk around late at night alone with a rolex on and you'll get what you would in any major American city.
     If you want to live an American lifestyle, there is a community of American retirees that have literally taken over a part of Guadalajara called Lake Chapala(also called Ajijic). The luxury homes I posted here would be between $800-$2500 per month U.S. to rent, but we're talking security building, walk to lake, gym, pool,etc.  It's about half an hour drive from the main city of Guadalajara kind of like Malibu is to Los Angeles city if you know L.A. And gear and other meds over the counter. This really comes in handy with things like blood pressure or heart meds for older retirees. Same companies like Pfizer, Merck but pennies on the dollar.  Only controlled substances are pain meds, benzos,etc. But sustanon, Deca, GH, even really expensive heart meds like Eliquis,etc are affordable and same major brands. all pharma and over the counter. Beautiful women everywhere. No racism against foreigners. Nicest, friendliest people I've ever met. You also have Puerto Vallarta just a little over an hour drive to the coast for a weekend getaway.  If you're thinking of Mexico, think Guadalajara. It's flown under the radar of Americans.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2021, 09:06:59 PM »
By  GetBig standards I'm barely getting by. I was hoping you might Venmo a few bucks my way
Epic is Back could probably float you $ 200.00   ;D

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2021, 10:30:37 PM »
plan a trip backpacking in Africa and meet the friendly locals, you wont run out of money because you will be in a shallow grave in a forest a month into your trip....

Stephano

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2021, 01:03:33 AM »
plan a trip backpacking in Africa and meet the friendly locals, you wont run out of money because you will be in a shallow grave in a forest a month into your trip....

Heh, speaking of which, this old thread is a goddamn classic:

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/democratic-republic-of-congo-lubumbashi-to-kinshasa.50799/

Absolutely nuts.  And what a story!

SweetDaddySiki

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2021, 04:00:11 AM »
Background- Been retired since 2016. Live on Treasure Island in Florida.

I love Treasure Island! Love staying at the Thunderbird Inn. Haven't been since Covid and hope to go next summer.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2021, 07:28:37 PM »
Divorce wife.

More to Venice Beach.

Join Golds Gym Venice.

Up the dose.

Get your IFBB Pro card.

You can thank me later.
a

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2021, 08:19:42 PM »

As you know I have been paid to travel all over the world so my advice is skip the Central and South American countries.  Europe, Asia, the Baltic’s, etc…. That is where you are going to get the best cultural experience and develop any new insights. 

Mothballs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2021, 08:34:55 PM »
Epic is Back could probably float you $ 200.00   ;D
LOL

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2021, 08:45:22 PM »
As you know I have been paid to travel all over the world so my advice is skip the Central and South American countries.  Europe, Asia, the Baltic’s, etc…. That is where you are going to get the best cultural experience and develop any new insights.

Dats raycissss...these are the people flooding across the border, you can't admit that.

Also, can't believe nobody told OP to fuck himself yet as "valuable input". This place is getting soft.

Explorerspl

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2021, 08:55:12 PM »
That's good information. We're pretty familiar with Mexico, People keep telling us a few places in Columbia are safe and good for 3 months or so. I'm a little hesitant especially lately.

I have friends who are native Colombians(born and raised) who live there right now,they told me not to visit. I'd heed the advice of others in this thread and skip south America all together right now.

If you do go I wouldn't stay 3 months and I'd probably only frequent Cartagena. Thefts are way up since Covid apparently and in Medellin or Bogota they will probably steal your phone at machete/knife point