Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > Training Q&A

Rest times between sets

<< < (12/13) > >>

Primemuscle:

--- Quote from: Bigmacdaddy18 on November 23, 2016, 04:25:02 PM ---Interesting. My method:

2 minutes for sets of 12 reps and under
60 seconds for sets of 15 or higher

--- End quote ---

Seems like a lot of rest time. Can you explain why this works for you?

Bigmacdaddy18:

--- Quote from: Primemuscle on November 23, 2016, 09:41:51 PM ---Seems like a lot of rest time. Can you explain why this works for you?

--- End quote ---

I was a 60 second between sets person for years. 1. Never really got bigger. 2. Never really got stronger and 3. Never really got a great pump. I did some reading and found that by waiting longer between sets your intra-set recuperation is greater. It was hard going from 1 minute to 2 minutes, felt like forever but it has been 6 months now and I am stronger, bigger and leaner. The last set, 20 reps, I wait 60 seconds or less just to stimulate those slow twitch muscle fibers.

Hope that helps.

Primemuscle:

--- Quote from: Bigmacdaddy18 on November 24, 2016, 05:41:07 AM ---I was a 60 second between sets person for years. 1. Never really got bigger. 2. Never really got stronger and 3. Never really got a great pump. I did some reading and found that by waiting longer between sets your intra-set recuperation is greater. It was hard going from 1 minute to 2 minutes, felt like forever but it has been 6 months now and I am stronger, bigger and leaner. The last set, 20 reps, I wait 60 seconds or less just to stimulate those slow twitch muscle fibers.

Hope that helps.

--- End quote ---

Thank you. I'll give this a try.

jpm101:
There is the TUT (Time Under Tension) theory in BB'ing  that states that you want to move a greater amount of a work load (weight used in a exercise) in the shortest period of  time. Getting a quicker pace to a BB'ing workout and keeping that Time Under Tension. . That means doing the given reps faster  and the time between sets shorter. You don't want any period of increased recuperation between sets or exercises (TUT again). That would be self defeating for the purpose of putting max focus (and time) on the muscle(s) being worked. I call this the brief and to the point way of training. Quite a few BB'ers, past and present, follow this protocol for steady gains. I'm not a BB'er but have experience this style training for short periods (6-8 weeks) taking a break for heavier, max weight training methods.

90 seconds between sets is the usually pattern followed by the BB'ers I come in contact with. And 90 to 120 seconds between exercises working the same muscle area. Like benches to dips...90 to 120 seconds rest period.

Bigmacdaddy give a good example of how even making slight adjustments to a training program can give unexpected results , in a good way. Changing a rep scheme, the way a movement is done, rest periods (shorter...longer),weight used (light..moderate...heavy) can recharge training attitudes and training gains.  I usually suggest 6 to 8 weeks on most programs. 12 weeks on some occasions. The body will adapt, fairly quickly, if keep on doing the same old exercise, the same old way. Change can do a body good.

When breaking into a completely new training program/style it will usually require 2 to 3 weeks to get adjusted to the bodies response....good or bad. If feeling that that program, after 3-4 weeks or so, is not fitting your needs, that drop it  (no matter what others, or the "experts" say about it) and make a change to another style training program. BB'ing will depend on finding out what works for you and not what MR Big Balls of 2010 had done in workouts. That's usually BS, just trying to sell video's or training books. BB'ing is a great personal experimental effort. Selecting what gives you the gains that you seek.

Good Luck.

Bigmacdaddy18:

--- Quote from: jpm101 on December 01, 2016, 10:49:15 AM ---There is the TUT (Time Under Tension) theory in BB'ing  that states that you want to move a greater amount of a work load (weight used in a exercise) in the shortest period of  time. Getting a quicker pace to a BB'ing workout and keeping that Time Under Tension. . That means doing the given reps faster  and the time between sets shorter. You don't want any period of increased recuperation between sets or exercises (TUT again). That would be self defeating for the purpose of putting max focus (and time) on the muscle(s) being worked. I call this the brief and to the point way of training. Quite a few BB'ers, past and present, follow this protocol for steady gains. I'm not a BB'er but have experience this style training for short periods (6-8 weeks) taking a break for heavier, max weight training methods.

90 seconds between sets is the usually pattern followed by the BB'ers I come in contact with. And 90 to 120 seconds between exercises working the same muscle area. Like benches to dips...90 to 120 seconds rest period.

Bigmacdaddy give a good example of how even making slight adjustments to a training program can give unexpected results , in a good way. Changing a rep scheme, the way a movement is done, rest periods (shorter...longer),weight used (light..moderate...heavy) can recharge training attitudes and training gains.  I usually suggest 6 to 8 weeks on most programs. 12 weeks on some occasions. The body will adapt, fairly quickly, if keep on doing the same old exercise, the same old way. Change can do a body good.

When breaking into a completely new training program/style it will usually require 2 to 3 weeks to get adjusted to the bodies response....good or bad. If feeling that that program, after 3-4 weeks or so, is not fitting your needs, that drop it  (no matter what others, or the "experts" say about it) and make a change to another style training program. BB'ing will depend on finding out what works for you and not what MR Big Balls of 2010 had done in workouts. That's usually BS, just trying to sell video's or training books. BB'ing is a great personal experimental effort. Selecting what gives you the gains that you seek.

Good Luck.

Exactly. I play with rep schemes a lot but my core is 8, 12, 20. That works for me and may not for 5,000,000 other people. Have to try new things. It depends how I feel walking into the gym that particulate day. Today I did legs. 10 sets of 10 on the leg press. That was it. Pumped and feel like I trained like never before. Have fun.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version