Author Topic: Boxing Legends  (Read 29131 times)

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
Re: Boxing Legends
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2014, 05:18:46 AM »
Joshua shouldnt fall victim to the hype machine, has had a few hidings in sparring according to some folk. He looks fantastic against nobodies but HAS to step up now. Sprott isnt going to give him anything at this stage of his career that he hasnt already faced, infact its a waste of a fight IMO.

I still have alot of faith in Price, hasnt been outclassed at all. Yeah Thompson beat him twice but caught a good bang with his guard completely down (rookie mistake) & then he punched himself out and was beaten by fatigue. He will come again.

When Prescott smashed Khan to bits everyone said he was finished. Numerous belts & multiple world titles later hes still a marquee name on the world stage. Either way we have a bright future as a nation.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2014, 07:33:35 AM »
What worried me about price was the way he just gave up in the second fight, fatigue or not the likes if Ben or Eubank would have had to be carried out the ring, there was no giving up in them, look at the beatings Eubanks took when he moved up weights late in his career

Joshua only has 6 yrs of experience, eventualy he will fight a tricky fucker with a good chin, who also has a punch, that's when we'll see what he's made of, but until then im enjoying the ride watching an outstanding young athlete

Incidently I think he has the beating of all the Brit heavys bar David haye , that is at this moment in his career

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2014, 09:12:12 AM »
I dont the get the calls for Joshua having to step up "right now" , the guy didnt even buy a pair of boxing gloves until 2007.

The year Calzaghe boxed Kessler, Joshua had never even hit a punch bag !

His amateur career, whilst sensational - consisted of 34 fights I believe or so. He's not been afforded the luxury of a long and illustrious amateur birth such as Lennox who went to two Olympics.

He's a formidable talent, but he needs lots of rounds. Even if they come in just 2-3 per victim.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2014, 09:21:23 AM »
wasn't Joshua fighting last night
T

Simple Simon

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2014, 09:29:51 AM »
wasn't Joshua fighting last night
Destroyed a guy in two rounds.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2014, 09:37:12 AM »
he looks the real deal

if he has got a chin and stamina

future world champ of peace

T

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2014, 01:12:25 PM »
Future of British HW boxing: Ben Flower. ;D

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2014, 03:34:56 AM »
I always felt calzage didn't get the kudos he deserved

guy was the pound for pound champ at one time I reckon

beat everyone they put in front of him

A lot of jealousy in the sport at that time, from fighters who were protected from 50/50 fights to maintain a record. FFS the guy boxed with busted hands in most of his championship fights and won every single time. Guy had Froch's chin, Khan's handspeed, FMW defense lol was a beast.

goku

• Getbig III
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2014, 06:30:11 AM »
AJ and Eddie Hearn's interview post fight was interesting. kept saying now its on to phase two, gonna step him up now. after Sprott, reckon  Sexton and maybe Mike Perez and another against a world ranked fighter before big clash with David Price in the summer. After Fury/Chisora fulfil their mandatory shot with Klitschko then think AJ for the British against Fury/Chisora this time next year.

2015 massive for him, as everyone knows AJ has an old head on young shoulders. very smart and genuine guy, he'll go all the way.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2014, 06:39:20 AM »
he looks the real deal

if he has got a chin and stamina

future world champ of peace

Yep, he hs natural talent - it's very obvious from his last few fights.

They need to manage him well, and get him another 5 or so fights under his belt as he'll need a good 20-25 rounds before he starts doing the europeans and other title fights.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2014, 07:51:07 AM »
some great comments on this thread... Good show Chaps.. ;D

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2014, 08:19:39 AM »
Too early to tell with AJ. Has potential to reach the top but we'll have to wait and see.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2014, 08:22:27 AM »
Boxing aside, he is a great 'natural' athlete lol  ;D

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2014, 02:39:47 PM »
17st @ 6'6...its possible...he does look very good tho...bodybuilding makes you very cynical

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2014, 03:42:33 PM »
Rumours. now as I say rumours are he s very bad against aggressive come at you fighters which is why he hasn't fought anyone like that. Hes had beatings off aggressive cruisers in the gym I ve heard. Ive heard this from a couple of pro fighters.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2014, 05:45:07 AM »
He's got no chance against flowers then Darren

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2014, 12:21:52 AM »
Nigel Benn was an ex Fusilier or so i was told. He trained with a Guy i met from the 2nd Battalion,2nd Battalion Royal Regiment of Fusiliers) called George. He told me he sparred with him. George was a big guy with hands like shovels. He did some Door work here in Celle, was a good guy i never knew his second name. The 2nd Battalion was stationed here in Trenchard Barracks. I worked in the camp at the time.
wrote with an ex Fusilier last night. Nigel Benn was 1 Battalion here in the pic and George who i met in Celle is on the right. Forgot his second name but was told again last night, George Jay. big Guy who was on their Provo staff.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2014, 08:51:14 AM »
wrote with an ex Fusilier last night. Nigel Benn was 1 Battalion here in the pic and George who i met in Celle is on the right. Forgot his second name but was told again last night, George Jay. big Guy who was on their Provo staff.

He was young and skinny there, would have been like a wild cat at that weight...

I worked with an ex squady that boxed terry marsh and beat him, im not sure if marsh was in the forces or if it was an open amature bout, you'd never have guessed that he boxed at light welter , the bloke ended up playing as a prop with a 19" neck

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2014, 03:22:05 AM »
He was young and skinny there, would have been like a wild cat at that weight...

I worked with an ex squady that boxed terry marsh and beat him, im not sure if marsh was in the forces or if it was an open amature bout, you'd never have guessed that he boxed at light welter , the bloke ended up playing as a prop with a 19" neck
Yes Terry Marsh another intresting Boxer..
http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Terry_Marsh

Ken Fresno

• Getbig III
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2014, 12:58:16 PM »
Eubank & Benn were great servants of British Boxing, but they knew where to draw the line - and that was against stepping in with James Toney at the same point in time at 168lb.

Toney was such a old school boxer, shame he preferred working out at Burger King at the end.

His 175 fight against Jirov was sublime and still perhaps one of the best light heavyweight fights I've seen to this day. Then he stepped up and halted Evander Holyfield at heavyweight in 9 rounds the fight after.

And Roy Jones junior, was a step even above James Toney, to go from the IBF middlewight title, straight up for the IBF super middleweight title and win so crisply, just showed Benn and Eubank to be absolutely nothing to him at that point in time.

And I say that with a heavy heart, as a big fan of chris and nigel.

Check this old vid

Hate to be "that guy", but Toney v Jirov was at cruiser. I am a complete Toney nut hugger, his fights against McCallum were some of the best technical boxing I've seen.

Will wind my neck back in now...

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2014, 12:32:11 PM »
Hate to be "that guy", but Toney v Jirov was at cruiser. I am a complete Toney nut hugger, his fights against McCallum were some of the best technical boxing I've seen.

Will wind my neck back in now...

No your right, I remember it now because it was at the original 190lb and not the latest 200lb limit.

Ken Fresno

• Getbig III
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2014, 12:42:33 PM »
No your right, I remember it now because it was at the original 190lb and not the latest 200lb limit.

Cool, didn't want to come across as a pedant as you clearly know your shit.

I was so hyped for that fight, esp after the left hook he hit Robinson with in the prev fight. The meltdowns Jirov losing caused on eastsideboxing were brilliant.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2014, 08:24:30 AM »
Eastsideboxing! That was a great place in the day! Sucks now. Theres a rip off called checkhookboxing but its just not the same.

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2014, 09:22:14 AM »
Eastsideboxing! That was a great place in the day! Sucks now. Theres a rip off called checkhookboxing but its just not the same.

The problem is that eastside was neglected, the german owner set up the spin-off site boxingnews24 with 'troll' ficticious authors who simply created outlandish headlines to scores clicks from visitors "Froch is bum" "Khan will get spanked" etc etc. They fed into the same forum - and attracted loads of idiots led to disparaging comments about Warren etc which led to legal threats against them.

As a result of that they over-modded the forum to the point it was completly sterile. And started banning regulars - so they left and set up their own.

Ken Fresno

• Getbig III
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2014, 11:31:26 AM »
Eastsideboxing's mainboard used to make stormfront look left wing on times.

Used to like boxrec's UK forum, apart from that Spud bloke.