Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > Training Q&A

The Mature thread

<< < (3/1530) > >>

Primemuscle:
So before I contribute to this tread, I need to know if being a somewhat "immature" 68 year old who still enjoys hitting the gym on an irregular basis is a qualifier? It has obviously been a really long time since I was just over 40 years old. With each decade that has passed since turning 40, I've modified my workouts, diet and goals. If there are folks who are interested in what this senior citizen does to stay in shape, then I will contribute by sharing my experiences.

Donny:
Primemuscle....please do tell us.

WOOO:
Hey, I'm only 34 but have made a lot of changes to my training over the last 12 months in an attempt to build for longevity... I'm listening (or rather reading)...

chaos:
Old guys are encouraged to share their trainings secrets for longevity as well as any ideas they have used to work around injuries from being young, dumb and reckless!

Primemuscle:

--- Quote from: Donny on November 11, 2012, 02:52:45 PM ---Primemuscle....please do tell us.

--- End quote ---

For starters, I should clarify that I have not trained regularly since I was diagnosed with prostate cancer almost a year ago. At first I think I was just so bummed out, I lost interest in working out. After I had a prostatectomy last July, I was in recovery mode for awhile. Still, here it is November and I am fully recovered and doing fine and have yet to restart my workouts. I have no decent excuse for this, just a lot of silly ones.

Before I got sick, I weighed 225 lbs with about 14 to 15%  body-fat (my guesstimate). My waist measurement was 34 or 35" depending on how much I ate. My chest was and is 47". My arms were almost 17" and I hope growing. Anyway that gives you some idea of where I was at a year ago.

After the surgery, I weighed 192 lbs. Presently, I weigh 200 lbs. I haven't taken any measurements because I don't want to get depressed! What I do know is that 36" pants are comfortable, but not tight in the waist and that is depressing to me. Considering my height, which is currently 5' 10 1/2" and my bone structure, which is fairly large, having a 36" waistline is not ideal. I'd prefer 32"....but that may never happen.

When last I was exercising in earnest, I was working one muscle group a day. A complete cycle took 5 days. I made every effort to keep within a one hour time frame. I was working out as heavy as I ever had, so no real loss in strength over the years (it will be interesting to see how quickly I can recover the strength I had once I start back). Mainly, recovery time seems longer than when I was younger.

I have instructed myself to go to the gym tomorrow. I will remember to start out slowly and not expect to lift what I was lifting prior to quitting. Actually, I will stick to machines such as Nautilus equipment. I will start by doing 20 minutes of cardio because if i wait to do this after weight training I won't do it at all. My total workout will not last more than 1 hour. This first week back, I will only go to the gym every other day for three days, as in Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Each day I will work all muscle groups. Call this my warm-up period.

Initially, I will continue to limit my food intake so as not to start gaining any weight. I have, probably for the first time in my adult life decided that I want to be lean again. Well, not like I was before I started lifting as a teenager. Then I weighed only 144 lbs., but I think I might be good at between 175 and 180 lbs today. I have no intention of trying to break any personal lift records. My goal is to get my ass back in shape and stay in shape for the rest of my life.

Wish me luck and success.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version