Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > Training Q&A

The Mature thread

<< < (1520/1530) > >>

IroNat:
I'm 60.  Been training fairly steadily since about age 18.

Training heavy with low reps always made me sore in the joints.  At a young age I could recover quickly.

I could do this even into my 40s.

Once I hit the 50s often still trained this way but my joints would then be always sore. 

Hard to get out of bed.

So I ask myself, "Why am I doing this?  I feel lousy."

Higher reps 8+ don't make me feel this way.  Obviously it is because less weight = less joint stress.

I like to train heavy but is the constant pain worth it? 

Primemuscle:

--- Quote from: IroNat on May 14, 2018, 09:29:34 AM ---I'm 60.  Been training fairly steadily since about age 18.

Training heavy with low reps always made me sore in the joints.  At a young age I could recover quickly.

I could do this even into my 40s.

Once I hit the 50s often still trained this way but my joints would then be always sore. 

Hard to get out of bed.

So I ask myself, "Why am I doing this?  I feel lousy."

Higher reps 8+ don't make me feel this way.  Obviously it is because less weight = less joint stress.

I like to train heavy but is the constant pain worth it? 

--- End quote ---

In a word, no.

DroppingPlates:
Hopefully I'm still able to train with decent intensity at the age of 60...

oldtimer1:

--- Quote from: DroppingPlates on May 14, 2018, 11:19:32 PM ---Hopefully I'm still able to train with decent intensity at the age of 60...

--- End quote ---

If you have a serious work ethic then yes. I find the drug users start dropping out well before 60. Various reasons. Sometimes it's health, finances or even arrests.  At 60 many many start having health scares like heart concerns, serious joint issues or even an  enlarged prostate. My gym there are a lot of older men. Most train like old men but there are exceptions. On guy is 73 I believe and he still trains really hard with heavy weights. Surely an exception to the rule. He has a youthful speaking voice too.

I find for me at 60 I stopped doing certain movements like the bar bench press and press behind the neck. I don't miss them. I use dumbbells or the standard military press for shoulders. I squatted with a bar for over 40 years. Now I fell better results with the deep range of motion leg press and dumbbell squats performed with a fairly straight back and sinking it. I really think the hardest exercise I have ever done are dumbbell squats. I don't know my name after them and feel close to death. I know guys that use 315lbs with a bar think how can I find dumbbells heavy enough?  Believe me, incredible strong guys would be shot holding two 150lbs dumbbells trying to get 12 reps. I see guys deadlifting the dumbbells thinking they are doing a dumbbell squat. That's not the motion. Get that ass really low as you squat and keep the back fairly vertical holding the dumbbells at your sides.  

I have been a high intensity guy my whole life doing sets to failure and low sets. I've been putting a lot of thought into high set endurance type training. I'm hesitant to make the change because I vainly say I look good for my age and I speculate high intensity is the reason. Then again who knows?  

The Scott:
I'm in my 60s and training is not only different, it's also difficult.  But I still train.  The other day I just could not do my normal routine due to not only being physically sore but also mentally tired.  So I just did a couple of sets for each body part for 50 reps each.  Got a pump and got out of the gym.

Izzat the "Weider Instinctive Training Principle"?   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version