Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > Training Q&A

The Mature thread

<< < (1521/1530) > >>

DroppingPlates:

--- Quote from: The Scott on June 09, 2018, 07:39:45 AM ---I'm in my 60s and training is not only different, it's also difficult.  But I still train.  The other day I just could not do my normal routine due to not only being physically sore but also mentally tired.  So I just did a couple of sets for each body part for 50 reps each.  Got a pump and got out of the gym.

Izzat the "Weider Instinctive Training Principle"?   ;D

--- End quote ---

Maybe you should shoot more cc's :D

IroNat:
When you get older you get injured a lot.

Even when you don't do anything stupid you get injured.

Small annoying injuries.

The Scott:

--- Quote from: DroppingPlates on June 09, 2018, 10:50:50 AM ---Maybe you should shoot more cc's :D

--- End quote ---

;D

Humble Narcissist:

--- Quote from: oldtimer1 on May 15, 2018, 07:30:16 PM ---If you have a serious work ethic then yes. I find the drug users start dropping out well before 60. Various reasons. Sometimes it's health, finances or even arrests.  At 60 many many start having health scares like heart concerns, serious joint issues or even an  enlarged prostate. My gym there are a lot of older men. Most train like old men but there are exceptions. On guy is 73 I believe and he still trains really hard with heavy weights. Surely an exception to the rule. He has a youthful speaking voice too.

I find for me at 60 I stopped doing certain movements like the bar bench press and press behind the neck. I don't miss them. I use dumbbells or the standard military press for shoulders. I squatted with a bar for over 40 years. Now I fell better results with the deep range of motion leg press and dumbbell squats performed with a fairly straight back and sinking it. I really think the hardest exercise I have ever done are dumbbell squats. I don't know my name after them and feel close to death. I know guys that use 315lbs with a bar think how can I find dumbbells heavy enough?  Believe me, incredible strong guys would be shot holding two 150lbs dumbbells trying to get 12 reps. I see guys deadlifting the dumbbells thinking they are doing a dumbbell squat. That's not the motion. Get that ass really low as you squat and keep the back fairly vertical holding the dumbbells at your sides.  

I have been a high intensity guy my whole life doing sets to failure and low sets. I've been putting a lot of thought into high set endurance type training. I'm hesitant to make the change because I vainly say I look good for my age and I speculate high intensity is the reason. Then again who knows?  

--- End quote ---
I respect the hell out of you guys over 60 still training.  I'm mid 40's and the only person I know my age who still lifts regularly.  After age 40 I quit doing really heavy stuff and like you completely eliminated the bench press with a bar and don't miss it either.  All medium weight dumbbell work for usually 12-20 reps but sometimes a little heavier and I enjoy training as much as ever.  I lift at home so I don't have to deal with the weird gym stuff.

oldtimer1:

--- Quote from: Humble Narcissist on November 11, 2018, 02:59:54 PM ---I respect the hell out of you guys over 60 still training.  I'm mid 40's and the only person I know my age who still lifts regularly.  After age 40 I quit doing really heavy stuff and like you completely eliminated the bench press with a bar and don't miss it either.  All medium weight dumbbell work for usually 12-20 reps but sometimes a little heavier and I enjoy training as much as ever.  I lift at home so I don't have to deal with the weird gym stuff.

--- End quote ---

You will start seeing a serious difference of men you know who are around the same age at 55. Guys completely start to fall apart. Even many guys who trained hard when they were younger can't seem to find the work ethic to lift seriously in their middle 50's. If you have the work ethic you will notice the difference. Not talking about the steroid guys who foolish keep playing that game into their aging years.

My hair is almost completely white now. I was at the Michigan-Rutgers football game yesterday the guest of rich guy I know who rented out a private deck. I was standing at the wall of this deck or box what ever you call it and Rutgers scored.  I jumped up. The old guy next to me said, "You blocked my view and I have a bad knee. I'm 60 you know."  I told him, "I'm 60 too.  I'll move over so you can see."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version