Author Topic: Arnold Admits that he should've LOST in 1980  (Read 4712 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Arnold Admits that he should've LOST in 1980
« on: February 12, 2007, 09:08:25 PM »
I used to be 'eh' about arnold.  great bodybuildinger, incredible businessman, but very full of himself.

hearing him admit this was pretty cool.

(replay is up now www.probodybuildingweekl y.com)

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
Re: Arnold Admits that he should've LOST in 1980
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 03:19:36 AM »
Arnold is the man but he managed to bounce back..

Hmm... Looks like it's a replay in the 01
I am a mini beast

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 05:01:46 AM »
I used to be 'eh' about arnold.  great bodybuildinger, incredible businessman, but very full of himself.

hearing him admit this was pretty cool.

Hearing him talk about the 1980 Mr. Olympia briefly was interesting. It was cool to hear Arnold speak what he REALLY felt instead of him trying to blow a lot of hot air by stating he knew he was going to win or that he was invincible.

Even The Terminator has fear.

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 05:05:38 AM »
Uncle Joe gave him the sandow, anyway

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 05:13:31 AM »
Arnold didn't admit to not derserving the win you jackasses.  He admitted it wasn't a good idea to steal the spotlight from the guys currently competing at the time.  He clearly said he improved his conditioning enough by the night show to win it all.

affy

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 05:18:51 AM »
Arnold didn't admit to not derserving the win you jackasses.  He admitted it wasn't a good idea to steal the spotlight from the guys currently competing at the time.  He clearly said he improved his conditioning enough by the night show to win it all.

ya exactly...he said one of the judges had him third in the prejudging

he said he heard guys talking about him, and how they thought they were greater than him...so he wanted to come back and show them he was better (especially zane i think he said)

he deserved to win in 1980
/thread

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 05:41:19 AM »
Plus it's taken him almost 3 decades to show humility about a contest he's known all the while was controversial. Makes him look good to say what he did as he knows. Could've been said much earlier though.

Good to hear him to acknowledge the ego.

slayer

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 05:47:14 AM »
nice way to put a spin on him saying it was close and he barley pulled it out ::)
 jeez all your posts are about putting a spin on a fact, so boring man!

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 08:01:26 AM »
What was sad was that Mike Mentzer forever judged himself by the outcome of of that physique contest. He never really got over that show. According to Dave Fischer, years later Mike Mentzer still would talk about that 1980 Olympia and bash Arnold at seminars. This guy was supposed to be so smart and so philisophical but he couldnt come to terms with losing a male beauty pageant

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 08:11:54 AM »
What was sad was that Mike Mentzer forever judged himself by the outcome of of that physique contest. He never really got over that show. According to Dave Ficsher, years later Mike Mentzer still would talk about that 1980 Olympia and bash Arnold at seminars. This guy was supposed to be so smart and so philisophical but he couldnt come to terms with losing a male beauty pagent

If Mentzer had been less annoying he could've refocused and possibly won in the early 80s when the field was wide open and not as strong.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 08:19:49 AM »
PBW is the bomb!

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 08:52:50 AM »
If Mentzer had been less annoying he could've refocused and possibly won in the early 80s when the field was wide open and not as strong.

He should've and could've. But what did he focus on?....hate/envy/jealousy/wrath/...and lots of excuses... and recreational drugs.

Dorian Yates' success gave Mike some legitimacy later on....but until then...he was talked about as being a weirdo.

I never knew the man but I wish I could have spoken with him or helped him in some way. He wrapped himself up in philosophy, excuses, and drugs and that was his wall of protection...or so he thought.  Its a shame that he died the way that he did.

His brother Ray died with 48 hours of Mike's death.

pumphard

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 09:00:40 AM »
I know Mike dies of a car accident, what did Ray die of?

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 09:05:09 AM »
This guy was supposed to be so smart and so philisophical but he couldnt come to terms with losing a male beauty pageant

It pains me to agree. John Galt wouldn't have gone around whining like that.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 09:12:21 AM »
I know Mike dies of a car accident, what did Ray die of?

mike died from heart attack....may have been connected to drugs.

ray committed suicide the next day

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 09:15:56 AM »
Did I miss something...?

I don't remember Arnold saying he should have lost....

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 09:17:42 AM »

mike died from heart attack....may have been connected to drugs.

ray committed suicide the next day

first I've heard of that.  I thought Ray died "mysteriously" or something like that.  Shame if he offed himself.
nasser=piece of shit

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 09:20:04 AM »
It pains me to agree. John Galt wouldn't have gone around whining like that.

Mike Mentzer was never an Objectivist in the real sense. He just rehashed a lot of the things Ayn Rand said, trying to make himself appear like he was an intellectual. All he did was 'borrow' from Ayn Rand and Arthur Jones - similar to Peter Keating or to give a concrete example, how Adonis tries to pass off Jenny Craig's diet system as his own ::)

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 09:20:11 AM »
Arnold destroyed the competition in 1980 by far!
just push some weight!

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 09:30:37 AM »
first I've heard of that.  I thought Ray died "mysteriously" or something like that.  Shame if he offed himself.

do some google searches....You will see that Ray committed suicide right after Mike Died. The year was 2001.

Mikes death may have been suicide too. But I think it may have been ruled heart attack. Drugs may have been involved.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 10:36:45 AM »
Mike Mentzer was never an Objectivist in the real sense. He just rehashed a lot of the things Ayn Rand said, trying to make himself appear like he was an intellectual. All he did was 'borrow' from Ayn Rand and Arthur Jones

...Wow! Isn't that a bit rich coming from a "Squad" member?

Shouldn't you have said something along the lines of his being "gayer than...." or "the kind of guy..."

The Luke

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 11:13:20 AM »

...Wow! Isn't that a bit rich coming from a "Squad" member?

Shouldn't you have said something along the lines of his being "gayer than...." or "the kind of guy..."

The Luke

I get carried away sometimes :-[

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 12:51:22 PM »
do some google searches....You will see that Ray committed suicide right after Mike Died. The year was 2001.

Mikes death may have been suicide too. But I think it may have been ruled heart attack. Drugs may have been involved.

Cite your resources. Not that FLEX is the best source, but they reported Mike died due to a heart attack, and that Ray was so stricken with grief that he was missing his dialysis treatments and most likely died due to his kidneys. But they still ruled Ray's death as mysterious.
I've never seen anything stating differently. So....cite your sources "Royalty."

mrsirjojo

• Getbig II
  • Si vis pacem, Para bellum.
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 01:43:07 PM »
Cite your resources. Not that FLEX is the best source, but they reported Mike died due to a heart attack, and that Ray was so stricken with grief that he was missing his dialysis treatments and most likely died due to his kidneys. But they still ruled Ray's death as mysterious.
I've never seen anything stating differently. So....cite your sources "Royalty."

As you say, Flex is not a good source. How did they explain the "retirement" of Tom Prince, Don Long and the many others who suddenly had to stop competing? A glob of synthol could be found in Pro BB's heart during an autopsy and Flex would attribute it to "wanting it too badly" without mentioning synthol. Their policy of not discussing drugs at all, while only featuring guys on the juice (who was the last natural on their cover?), is hypocritical. Their claim that they don't want to get involved with the dark side of BB is transparently self-serving.

From what I've read about Mentzer, he needed some perspective. Getting up daily at 5 AM or earlier to read Ayn Rand, a second rate philosopher? It makes sense that he could nevr swallow the 1980 loss, unjust as it was. He was obsessed. Of course, I never met him, but  I'll say this...there's nothing more annoying than a pseudo-intellectual. Can't say he was one, but getting up that early to read philosophy and telling people you do are two different things... 

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 01:56:26 PM »
I believe the 1980 Olympia drove Mike to commit suicide.  So in essence, Arnold killed Mike Mentzer.