Author Topic: 1505 LB LEG PRESS (Shaun Crump )  (Read 3951 times)

Mr. Michael Moore

• Getbig IV
  • A pretty good weight, for a small woman !
Re: 1505 LB LEG PRESS (Shaun Crump )
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 08:49:53 AM »
Lee Haney's quads were his worst bodypart....do you really want to go there???

That could be (in your opinion) his worst bodypart, but it doesn't affect the point I'm trying to make it here.If a multi - Mr. Olympia didn't felt the need to use a ton plus of weight to develop his quads, why a nobody athlete think he knows better than a Mr. O?? And finally, even if it doesn't show on the video, I'm ready to bet that Haney's legs built with 6 plates a side on the legpress are way far better than Crump's tiny piano sticks , miserably trying to be built on a ton plus, half assed partial legpress reps.
Train forever !

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 11:20:27 AM »

I agree.

Haney build a GREAT physique using less than stellar 'weights'. It has been reported that he would do one-arm dumbbell rows with no more than 85lbs.

He used to do incline dumbbell flys with no more than 70lbs. Nevertheless...look what he accompolished.

My observation based on local people I know with outstanding leg development in the gyms I frequent are that they tend to use 'just enough weight' to get the job done in a moderate-higher rep fashion. For example...
 Leg Pressing 6-8 plates a side for 15-20 QUALITY reps will do so much more for your legs than cocking the backpad ALL THE WAY UP and putting 12 plates a side for 7-10 reps using heavy knee wrapping, hands on knees and a spotter or two.

Imagine how much better the quads on The King would look if he ditched the entorage of SPOTTERS and the quater squats with 7 plates a side on a Smith Machine and shot for 4 plates a side...NO humongous team of spotters for quality reps.
?

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 12:15:31 PM »
if Haney's quads were his worst, so does Arnold, right?
Get Big, or Die Trying

Mr. Michael Moore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2007, 12:19:29 PM »
  I agree.

Haney build a GREAT physique using less than stellar 'weights'. It has been reported that he would do one-arm dumbbell rows with no more than 85lbs.

He used to do incline dumbbell flys with no more than 70lbs. Nevertheless...look what he accompolished.

My observation based on local people I know with outstanding leg development in the gyms I frequent are that they tend to use 'just enough weight' to get the job done in a moderate-higher rep fashion. For example...
 Leg Pressing 6-8 plates a side for 15-20 QUALITY reps will do so much more for your legs than cocking the backpad ALL THE WAY UP and putting 12 plates a side for 7-10 reps using heavy knee wrapping, hands on knees and a spotter or two.

Imagine how much better the quads on The King would look if he ditched the entorage of SPOTTERS and the quater squats with 7 plates a side on a Smith Machine and shot for 4 plates a side...NO humongous team of spotters for quality reps.

Ditto, Block......eloquent as usual! 8)

But I strongly advise the knee wraps - not the entourage of helpers plus hands on the knees!!!!

Knee wraps conjure the best of both worlds, provided you don't use them since your first warmup sets :-\

Saving them for the last heaviest sets, say the last 2 with the most weight you could handle for a minimum of 12 reps WITH the wraps, but shooting for 15 and above, you could safely descend the platform to its deepest position without any harm or fear of getting stuck, plus it feels much more confortable - NOT EASIER - from a joint stability point of view when you handle that kinda weight. Ronnie Coleman has always wrapped and his legs were humonguous until that weird distortion to the vastus lateralis of one of his tighs, showed at the O. last year.

I think it's very silly the whole anti-knee wrap bravata. :(
It's the same nonsense of advising against straps for back training.
Train forever !

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2007, 12:55:04 PM »
Yates did 940lb leg presses

bigtraps

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2007, 04:21:49 PM »
Oh, these 1/4 rep, "Pat Robertson" leg presses make me CRAZY.

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007, 04:34:03 PM »

Thanks for the PROPS, Dr.

I do my best to articulate my points and arguments to the best of my abilities.

The knee wrap issue you pointed out makes sense. On the last two heavier set I could see. The 2nd from last I usually do a wrap but 'not very tight' and my LAST heaviest set I'll wrap normally. Not TOO tight but not as loose as the previous set.

The Leg Press involved also has alot to do with it. I'm not sure what Crump was using there but let's take the Nebula model seen in Ronnie's video. That Leg Press is at a very low angle, most people don't understand which allows more weights to be piled on which looks more impressive than let's say on an Icarian Leg Press.

?

Mr. Michael Moore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 07:27:40 PM »
Block, the leg press Crump is using is the new model made by hammer strenght, and it is absolutely the most difficult I have ever used. In fact, that piece is a bitch !!!! Very, very steepy angle, with a huge platform. The tubular bearing on which the platform travels is not your usual bearing system. It is a reforced tube so thick that it resembles real posts, so teh platform can be piled with a lot of weight and the trail doesn't bend. That piece holds easily 10 plates a side. It has double posts, 2 on top, 2 lower . Each one holding 10 plates, which amount to a total of 40  45 lbs plates!!!! :o That is more than what NEBULA can hold, except Ronnie Coleman's model, which was a custom made piece, with enlongated posts both up and down.
Train forever !

Mr. Michael Moore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2007, 07:34:52 PM »
There you go !!
Train forever !