Author Topic: techniques for relieving stress in your life  (Read 2518 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
techniques for relieving stress in your life
« on: January 29, 2008, 04:18:55 PM »
I run a home business, play in a band, have a young baby that I watch all day, every day.

I'm stressed.  And I'm weighing 20 pounds less than I should.  I think it's because of the stress.  You know when you can just feel your cortisol levels thru the roof? that's how I feel a lot, whether it's because I have to work, baby climbing up the couch, etc.

Any herbal remedies?  I don't drink or use any drugs, and I avoid NSAIDs.  I don't sleep enough either - I hear zinc makes you sleep better?  Maybe I should look at yoga?  Any ideas, please share. thanks!

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: techniques for relieving stress in your life
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 04:30:24 PM »
240, ...have you ever considered Valerian (liquid form). It's an all natural herbal tincture that has a tonic effect on the nervous system, and will help you sleep better.

Getting proper rest at night might be the first step to reducing your stress levels, ...it might even be all you really need. Second step, create a vision, a master plan, or road map for where your daily activities are going to take you. With that vision first & foremost in your mind, ...all the inevitable little stressors along the way, ...just don't have the impact they did before.

Knock off the junk food. Get plenty of fresh whole foods, fruits & veggies, exercise, plenty of water, reduce your caffeine and sugar intake, and up your fibre.

Next, mark each day off the calendar knowing you'll soon reach Nov and that POS will be gone to Paraguay

ps: Good relations with the SO helps too.  ;)
w

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 05:57:45 PM »
Eating less. That means stopping with an obcessive cumpulsive bbing type eating style.

Drinking less.

Hardly any stimulants.

Clearing the mind before trying to sleep.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 05:08:20 AM »
valerian robs you of strength

herbals:  kava kava and try yellow NuPhoria if you like
X

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 05:44:22 AM »
valerian robs you of strength

herbals:  kava kava and try yellow NuPhoria if you like

That was never my experience. I found my sleep to be deeper and far more restful upon awakening.
At the time I used it, I also did a complete cleanse and switched over to a completely vegan diet as well,
...so who knows if that had something to do with the incredible results I saw, but I've found it helpful.

I would never recommend kava kava because of the uncertainty of the formulation.
Cheaper manufacturers use the whole plant including the leaves and stems, instead of just the root,
...and in 240's case, ...I'd be concerned over the potential for liver toxity.
w

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 10:39:48 AM »
Make more money!

That always provides a nice remedy.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 10:42:14 AM »
I run a home business, play in a band, have a young baby that I watch all day, every day.

I'm stressed.  And I'm weighing 20 pounds less than I should.  I think it's because of the stress.  You know when you can just feel your cortisol levels thru the roof? that's how I feel a lot, whether it's because I have to work, baby climbing up the couch, etc.

Any herbal remedies?  I don't drink or use any drugs, and I avoid NSAIDs.  I don't sleep enough either - I hear zinc makes you sleep better?  Maybe I should look at yoga?  Any ideas, please share. thanks!

swimming...always helps me...

i can swim the length of an olympic sized pool under water and when i'm under its like i'm my own little universe...i can hear my own heartbeat ..plus its surprisingly physically exhausting...

a good 1 hour of messing around in the water and i'm ready to sleep..
carpe` vaginum!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 10:48:48 AM »
Read the Relaxation Response by Herbert Benson.
here is a link to the gist of it. I read it for a police class and it actually works. If you can dump the rugrat for a few minutes.  ;)
http://www.ucop.edu/humres/eap/relaxationrespone.html

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 11:07:33 AM »
there's always Ativan...mmmm....benzos!!!
X

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 11:19:27 AM »
There is something called "Resperate" which is a machine that has diff. tones as you breathe in and out and it helps you to slow down your breathing.

www.resperate.com

It's main purpose seems to be to lower blood pressure.  It is our experience that it works but instead of spending the money for a machine perhaps you could find 15 minutes to sit alone and undisturbed (maybe during your son's naptime) and you can take deep breaths in and out and just try to relax. 

I'm sure during naptime you probably try to get a lot done, but maybe you need to relax more than you need to work for just 15 minutes.
R

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 01:54:50 PM »
There is something called "Resperate" which is a machine that has diff. tones as you breathe in and out and it helps you to slow down your breathing.

www.resperate.com

It's main purpose seems to be to lower blood pressure.  It is our experience that it works but instead of spending the money for a machine perhaps you could find 15 minutes to sit alone and undisturbed (maybe during your son's naptime) and you can take deep breaths in and out and just try to relax. 

I'm sure during naptime you probably try to get a lot done, but maybe you need to relax more than you need to work for just 15 minutes.

Bio-feed back can have a lot of benefits, ...but resting when the baby does is huge.
I remember suggesting that last year. When my sister had her kids, I realized how important it is to use baby's nap time as your own nap time too, rather than trying to get things done then.
w

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 03:46:53 PM »

Learn meditation and practice it twice daily.

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 06:47:52 PM »
I'm not sure how good Valerian root is, I've heard mixed reviews.. she has some good advice in there though - lack of sleep is the number one stress causer (bad engrish soz). What keeps me earthed is just doing what i need to do first (commitments wise) then smash my gym/exercise/nutrition hobby after that, i feel great and can drop like a sack of potatoes when i wanna go to bed.. all fresh the next morning. And yeah i think  I drink about 10 400ml cups of water a day and that keeps me super healthy.. I'm never sick, never dehydrated never get hangovers so i think water is very important to (generally) to help stress.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 10:23:08 PM »
Well past 5 years I used to go to my pool and just vegatate.  Before that I would go to Ala Moana Beach Park and just lay on the beach.  Now I go to the Palms or The Orleans and play craps. 

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 10:37:40 PM »
Get better diet.

Use Zinc during the day and ZMA at night. 

Write down all the stuff that stresses you out and figure out what you can change.

Buy some dip.  Seems to work for me.   ;D
Squishy face retard

w8m8

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 04:45:05 AM »
All very good advice , I meditate , also use Xanax and have fantastic sex

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 04:52:28 PM »
Normally i'm not one to promote an unhealthy lifestyle, but having a drink at the end of the day is good for your heart and your mind.  The hardest part of getting home is unwinding.  A glass of wine accelerates this process and will help you sleep easier and deeper.  2 glasses of red wine a day is exactly what the doc ordered.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 07:18:05 AM »
2 glasses of red wine a day is exactly what the doc ordered.
I can never stop at 2 glasses though, if that bottle of Vino is open and still has some in it bugs me.
So I save that for week ends. :)
Any way I pump iron to unstress, it is my focus,my yoga, my better place.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 12:43:21 PM »
SEX. AND WEIGHTS. BUT NOT AT THE SAME TIME

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 04:59:53 PM »
All very good advice , I meditate , also use Xanax and have fantastic sex

Xanax good, ativan less addicting
X

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »
they make relaxation tapes like soothing music or raindrops and things like that. i have one for a thunderstorm. it's cool.  also, if your gyn has a punching bag, try just punching the shit out of a bag. that helps too!  8)

tubduck

• Getbig I
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 10:47:32 AM »

quack!   :D
Quack Quack Quack!

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 10:53:37 AM »
rub your ears

E
E

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 10:58:13 PM »
It's not a drug, it's a plant. It's the greatest miracle medicine nature ever provided for us.

What it does for me is pure relaxation of the body and total exercise of the mind. It breaks down walls in my mind, flooding in a great flow of all sorts of thoughts. It also makes me think critically of myself and other things. It makes me question why I'm doing stupid things and why I'm not doing productive things.

Plus all the disorders and illnesses that it alleviates...
~

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 02:37:15 AM »

- Drop coffee or any kind of stimulants. Avoid sugar (insulin spikes) or transfats.
- Improve diet (veggies, omega-3 fats come to mind)
- Get a fixed sleeping pattern. At least 8 hours a day. Avoid too much stimulation (tv, pc, ...) 1-2 hours before you go to sleep. Read a book or something then. Food or taking vitamins is a nono as well then.
- More planning. Tweak the daily schedule till you are happy with it. Don't overdo it.
- Don't try to multitask too much. Esp. for men this can cause stress. I always try do things in blocks. Your brain activates certain areas when doing certain tasks. Switching too much can cause confusion, stress, and is less productive imo.
- Get plants in your house and work environment. Good for air quality, but it eases the mind too.
- Limit working out to 3 times in the week. For a natural more is overkill. Don't go to failure every time. I've noticed that working out really hard can overload your CNS badly and you are more stressed, need more sleep,...
- Maybe a little cardio now and then. Running in the woods or swimming are my favs.
- Breathing exercises twice a day (10 mins each). Work your way up to meditation or yoga if you feel like it.

That's all i can think about right now. You can look into each tip for some background info, but i believe these work. Don't trust on a pill or something. Maybe there are also other factors which give you stress: are you unhappy with you current work situation, with your relationship, ...
$