Author Topic: GoFundMe?  (Read 27742 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: GoFundMe?
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 03:36:58 PM »
da heck does all that money go???? they dont have any overheard other than cost of goods sold for the cookies...WTF??

+ membership dues for the girls??.. holy crap!!

who the fark gets all that money? arent they non for profit?

WOW

"Non profit" is merely a tax status.  It has nothing to do with how much money an organization takes in or how many expenses they have.  Harvard is the largest non profit in the U.S. with an endowment in the billions; the NFL is a nonprofit with huge revenues... need I go on?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 05:14:00 AM »
Have you ever donated to a gofundme account or a similar service?  Would you?  These accounts seem to be all the rage these days.  I never give this way and here is one reason: there is no guarantee that the money will reach the intended target and there is little assurance that the collection is nothing more than a scam.

I wrote the above three years ago and it is as true now as it was then.  Here is the latest example.

Homeless vet, couple allegedly made up story for GoFundMe scam
By Ben Feuerherd

The New Jersey couple who raised hundreds of thousands of dollars in a viral charity campaign for a homeless man were allegedly working with the vagrant as part of an elaborate ruse, according to a new report.

Prosecutors believe that Mark D’Amico and Kate McClure conspired with homeless man Johnny Bobbitt to create their get-rich-quick scheme in 2017, NBC’s Philadelphia affiliate reported Wednesday.

The couple turned themselves in to authorities on Wednesday, but Bobbitt was still at large, the news station said.

According a source who spoke to the news outlet, which said it had a copy of a criminal complaint, all three are expected to face charges of conspiracy and theft by deception for working together to create the ruse. The Burlington County Prosecutor’s office is expected to make an announcement in the case Thursday, according to multiple reports.

Prosecutors did not immediately return a call for comment, and reps for the couple and Bobbitt were not available.

McClure, 28, and D’Amico, 39, created a GoFundMe page in November 2017, claiming the homeless, drug addict Bobbitt spent his last $20 to fill up McClure’s empty gas tank after her car broke down on I-95 near Philadelphia.

The charity campaign exploded, raising tens of thousands of dollars from unsuspecting donors in a matter of days — and ultimately shooting up to more than $400,000.

“It has changed my entire outlook about people, my outlook about people has skyrocketed,” McClure said of the donations at the time.

Their plan began to unravel in August of this year, when Bobbit sued the couple, claiming they were withholding funds raised on the GoFundMe from him.

McClure and D’Amico, both of Florence Township, NJ, accused Bobbit of being on drugs and refused to pay him until he was clean.

In September, a lawyer for the couple announced that he expected they would both be indicted for their role in the scam — but it was not known that all three of them were suspected in the plot until Wednesday.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2018, 08:52:35 AM »
"Non profit" is merely a tax status.  It has nothing to do with how much money an organization takes in or how many expenses they have.  Harvard is the largest non profit in the U.S. with an endowment in the billions; the NFL is a nonprofit with huge revenues... need I go on?
This.
Anyway, I given to 3 gofundme "campaigns". I knew 1 person personally. I won't be giving to anymore campaigns, the bad apples ruin the bunch.
A

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2018, 08:50:34 PM »
GoFundMe takes 8% off the top.
:

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2018, 09:32:26 PM »
GoFundMe takes 8% off the top.

not unreasonable considering

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 06:09:40 PM »
X

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2019, 06:54:26 PM »
What ever happened to all the whores selling their virginity?

Never see those offers any more

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2019, 12:45:56 PM »
 :)
F

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2019, 03:52:49 PM »
What ever happened to all the whores selling their virginity?

Never see those offers any more

Crack.  Driving down the price of a BJ to twenty bucks.

X

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2021, 07:33:03 PM »
Ohio mother allegedly faked daughter's terminal illness to obtain funding for trips, housing
By R. Riess

An Ohio mother is facing an abuse and neglect complaint for allegedly fabricating her daughter's terminal illness to "obtain funding for trips, housing, and other expenses of the last several years," according to a complaint filed with the Stark County Family Court.

GoFundMe told CNN that the fundraiser, set up by Lindsey Abbuhl to raise money for her daughter's illness, is no longer active, and that more than $4,000 has been refunded to donors.

"We are working with local law enforcement officials, and we will continue to support the investigation," said Ese Esan, communications manager for GoFundMe. "Fundraisers with misuse are very rare, and if a misuse of funds takes place on GoFundMe, donors are protected, and their donations are refunded."

According to the complaint filed May 14, investigators with the Stark County Department of Job and Family Services did a forensic interview with the child and determined that there was "no medical evidence" to support the mother's claim that her daughter was physically ill.

The complaint also alleges that Abbuhl had placed her daughter in counseling for the past three years "to learn how to 'process her own death,'" telling the child's counselor, who was going on maternity leave, that the child "may not be alive" when the counselor returned.

According to the complaint, when police went to confront Abbuhl with the allegation that she had fabricated her daughter's medical condition, Abbuhl told them, "We did not intentionally do that."
The child was then placed into the temporary custody of the Stark County Department of Job and Family Services, as her father, Jamie Abbuhl, is only allowed court-ordered visitations supervised by the mother, pursuant to their divorce.

The complaint says Jamie Abbuhl claimed the mother did not allow him "to participate in any medical decisions" and that he "has no access to medical records."

When reached for comment, Lindsey Abbuhl's attorney, Paul Kelley, said, "We are continuing to collect all of the facts on this case and my client adamantly asserts her innocence in this matter."

"Once we've gathered all of the factual evidence, we will begin preparing our defense and may wish to address the media at that time," Kelley said.

CNN has also attempted to reach Jamie Abbuhl for comment. He has not been charged with any crimes.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2021, 10:31:32 PM »
:)

LMFAO.  Larry David used this line in the most recent season of Curb Your Enthusiasm!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2021, 11:25:28 PM »
Ohio mother allegedly faked daughter's terminal illness to obtain funding for trips, housing
By R. Riess

An Ohio mother is facing an abuse and neglect complaint for allegedly fabricating her daughter's terminal illness to "obtain funding for trips, housing, and other expenses of the last several years," according to a complaint filed with the Stark County Family Court.

GoFundMe told CNN that the fundraiser, set up by Lindsey Abbuhl to raise money for her daughter's illness, is no longer active, and that more than $4,000 has been refunded to donors.

"We are working with local law enforcement officials, and we will continue to support the investigation," said Ese Esan, communications manager for GoFundMe. "Fundraisers with misuse are very rare, and if a misuse of funds takes place on GoFundMe, donors are protected, and their donations are refunded."

According to the complaint filed May 14, investigators with the Stark County Department of Job and Family Services did a forensic interview with the child and determined that there was "no medical evidence" to support the mother's claim that her daughter was physically ill.

The complaint also alleges that Abbuhl had placed her daughter in counseling for the past three years "to learn how to 'process her own death,'" telling the child's counselor, who was going on maternity leave, that the child "may not be alive" when the counselor returned.

According to the complaint, when police went to confront Abbuhl with the allegation that she had fabricated her daughter's medical condition, Abbuhl told them, "We did not intentionally do that."
The child was then placed into the temporary custody of the Stark County Department of Job and Family Services, as her father, Jamie Abbuhl, is only allowed court-ordered visitations supervised by the mother, pursuant to their divorce.

The complaint says Jamie Abbuhl claimed the mother did not allow him "to participate in any medical decisions" and that he "has no access to medical records."

When reached for comment, Lindsey Abbuhl's attorney, Paul Kelley, said, "We are continuing to collect all of the facts on this case and my client adamantly asserts her innocence in this matter."

"Once we've gathered all of the factual evidence, we will begin preparing our defense and may wish to address the media at that time," Kelley said.

CNN has also attempted to reach Jamie Abbuhl for comment. He has not been charged with any crimes.

Abuse & neglect aren't demonstrated but fraud is.

Just this morning, I was behind a $120,000 V8 Land Cruiser with at least $5000 of rear window signage. It was a beautifully executed image of an African child, all doe eyed, and "Please Help Me." Maybe they are helping. Wtf do I know. But if they'd drive a shitbox that kid's village would be $119,000 better off.

I've also overheard a woman organizing a sausage sizzle outside the mega hardware store describe the 'event' as charitable and for a good cause. She stated it was to raise money for her daughter who is taking a trip to Europe. She said it with a straight face. It's a charitable cause.

Also had a coin can rattled at me outside the supermarket because the children need new footy uniforms. Are they orphans, these children?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2021, 11:00:34 PM »
I had/have a GFM and I posted all bills, X-rays, etc.   And welcomed any and all questions. 

It’s a choice to help or not, and to decide how much info, bills, etc you want to see before doing so.

Here’s mine

https://gofund.me/2fef7de1

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2021, 09:20:41 AM »

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2021, 04:27:38 PM »
I had/have a GFM and I posted all bills, X-rays, etc.   And welcomed any and all questions. 

It’s a choice to help or not, and to decide how much info, bills, etc you want to see before doing so.

Here’s mine

https://gofund.me/2fef7de1

Flowey ??? :o

mofo1960

• Getbig II
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2021, 01:04:37 AM »

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2021, 03:46:07 AM »
Lots of charities are scams too.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2021, 04:16:12 PM »
I'd never give money to a GFM.

Too many people misuse the funds and there is no way to verify it.

My friend i grew up with started a GFM for a vacation trip for his daughters graduation.

Was asking for $3-4k.

2 months before this he bought a new $30k boat.

I called him out about it on social media and he deleted the GFM. ;D

I think most people are frauds.

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2021, 06:28:32 PM »
go fuck me .com

go suck me .com

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2021, 06:57:14 AM »
I'd never give money to a GFM.

Too many people misuse the funds and there is no way to verify it.

My friend i grew up with started a GFM for a vacation trip for his daughters graduation.

Was asking for $3-4k.

2 months before this he bought a new $30k boat.

I called him out about it on social media and he deleted the GFM. ;D

I think most people are frauds.

I agree.  Bay no likey!  :(

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2023, 06:02:51 PM »
Did anyone else think it odd that Mary Lou Retton, now 55, (aka “America’s Sweetheart”) and the first woman to grace the cover of the Wheaties box wound up begging for money to pay her medical bills?  Her daughter started a gofundme with a target of $50k and they quickly raised more than $420k.  Why wouldn’t someone like MLR not have health insurance or be able to pay her own way?  The family was quick to request privacy when faced with such questions, and that brings me to another thing that annoys me about some gofundme efforts.  People are quick to ask for privacy even as they ask for money.  If privacy is your primacy concern then keep you money troubles to yourself and pay your own way—do NOT turn to the public and beg. If you are going to beg the public you should be prepared to answer some obvious questions.

Mary Lou Retton’s lack of insurance raises questions as crowdfunding reaches $421,000
https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/10/11/mary-lou-rettons-lack-of-insurance-raises-questions-as-crowdfunding-passes-250000/

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2023, 06:11:26 AM »
Don't blame the beggar, blame the donators.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2023, 05:56:27 PM »
Did anyone else think it odd that Mary Lou Retton, now 55, (aka “America’s Sweetheart”) and the first woman to grace the cover of the Wheaties box wound up begging for money to pay her medical bills?  Her daughter started a gofundme with a target of $50k and they quickly raised more than $420k.  Why wouldn’t someone like MLR not have health insurance or be able to pay her own way?  The family was quick to request privacy when faced with such questions, and that brings me to another thing that annoys me about some gofundme efforts.  People are quick to ask for privacy even as they ask for money.  If privacy is your primacy concern then keep you money troubles to yourself and pay your own way—do NOT turn to the public and beg. If you are going to beg the public you should be prepared to answer some obvious questions.

Mary Lou Retton’s lack of insurance raises questions as crowdfunding reaches $421,000
https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/10/11/mary-lou-rettons-lack-of-insurance-raises-questions-as-crowdfunding-passes-250000/
My Dad ran a barber shop and he was profoundly underinsured...(so was I as a kid)  Medical care should be a birth right....

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2023, 08:43:42 AM »
My Dad ran a barber shop and he was profoundly underinsured...(so was I as a kid)  Medical care should be a birth right....

If simply declaring something a birthright makes it run perfectly then let's do that with everything.

"A haircut is my birthright."

Now all the barber shops are perfect, all the customers are happy, and all the barbers are prosperous. If it ever isn't then The Great Oz of government will intervene to re-perfect it.

No one ever had to beg for money online again, they lived happily ever after in Utopia.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2023, 05:23:19 PM »