Author Topic: AFC championship game Chargers VS Pats  (Read 15572 times)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Re: AFC championship game Chargers VS Pats
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 11:56:04 AM »
yea but honestly that isnt going to happen...

While the odds are against it, crazier things have happened in football. These are all professional teams, it's not like USC vs. Southern Wisconsin State Tech BFE University.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 12:04:55 PM »
good enough you never know whats goin to happen..unless your pats and you know and expect to win the Super Bowl...

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 12:06:26 PM »
good enough you never know whats goin to happen..unless your pats and you know and expect to win the Super Bowl...

There have been more undefeated regular season teams to lose in the post season than to win... Just from a historical perspective.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 12:14:44 PM »
what are you talking about more undefeated teams in the regular season to lose in playoffs?  please discuss this..

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 12:19:27 PM »
the only teams i know of to go undefeated in the regular season was the dolphins who won the super bowl and the bears in like 34 and 42 but this was before the merger and i dont know what they finished like....thats it for perfect records...

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 01:07:16 PM »
hope this isn't a distraction.....

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Randy Moss said Wednesday that allegations he committed battery against a woman are false and that she made the claim to get money from him.

"I want to make something clear," the New England Patriots wide receiver said while surrounded by reporters and cameras at his locker. "In my whole entire life of living 30 years, I've never put my hand on one woman, physically or in an angry manner."

The woman, identified in court records as Rachelle Washington, 35, of Fort Lauderdale, filed for and was granted a protection order against Moss, alleging he committed battery against her. The temporary injunction, issued in Broward County (Fla.) court, bars Moss from coming within 500 feet of the woman and from using or possessing firearms.

No criminal charges have been filed in the matter. A hearing has been scheduled for Jan. 28, which is the Monday before the Super Bowl.

Moss gave no details of the alleged incident, saying he was restricted by the legal case.

He said the woman was a friend of 11 years and that she asked for "six figures" for what Moss said was an accident in which she was hurt. He did not provide details about the accident.

Moss

"They're false allegations, something I've been battling for like the last couple of days of threats going public if I didn't pay X amount of dollars," Moss said. "So before people rush quick to judgment I think you need to find out the facts about, really, what's going on.

"This young lady by no means is hurt. I didn't hurt her."

Melissa Miller, an assistant to David McGill, the Miami-based attorney representing Washington, told ESPN.com "At this time there is no comment on the situation.''

Asked if Washington was aware of comments from Moss alleging that she was seeking money to keep quiet, Miller said "We have no comment on anything.''

New England plays the San Diego Chargers in the AFC Championship Game in Foxborough on Sunday.

Moss, who set an NFL record with 23 touchdown catches this season, said he spoke with coach Bill Belichick about the matter. Moss spoke to about 30 reporters in the locker room after Belichick's regular news conference at which the coach wasn't asked about it.

Moss has avoided off-field problems this season and has been hailed by other Patriots players as an excellent teammate and leader. In his previous nine seasons -- seven with Minnesota and two with Oakland -- he was involved in several incidents.

With Minnesota, he was criticized by quarterback Daunte Culpepper and others for leaving the field with 2 seconds left in a regular-season loss to Washington. He bumped a traffic control officer with his car in 2002, verbally abused corporate sponsors on a team bus in 2001 and squirted an official with a water bottle in 1999.

He strongly denied the latest allegations, breaking his usual midweek silence.

"It's very unfair to athletes if a person makes a false claim. You know, there's nothing that we can do," Moss said. "The only thing that we can do is either pay up or sit back and listen to what's being said or what's being written.

"For someone to make a false claim about me, I'm kind of furious," he said. "It kind of hurts me deep inside for someone to do something like that because, you know, I've always said time and time again, I'm going to stand up for what's right. If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong."

ESPN.com investigative reporter Mike Fish and The Associated Press contributed to this story.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 01:34:28 PM »
the only teams i know of to go undefeated in the regular season was the dolphins who won the super bowl and the bears in like 34 and 42 but this was before the merger and i dont know what they finished like....thats it for perfect records...

Those 2 last teams both lost in the post season... The reason why the 72 dolphins are so famous is because they actually won the whole thing.

So, currently, more teams who had undefeated regular seasons have not won the championship than those that have. NE can make it 50/50 if they win it all in a few weeks.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 05:15:39 PM »

There is one other interesting fact...the Cleveland Browns, in the old AAFC (where the Colts and 49ers were also born), finished 14-0 and won that league's title in 1948.  Granted, it wasn't the NFL, but two years later, the Browns won the NFL championship in their very first year in the league. 

To my knowledge, there has never been an undefeated champion in the CFL, but I could be wrong.
~

body88

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 05:24:20 PM »
Those 2 last teams both lost in the post season... The reason why the 72 dolphins are so famous is because they actually won the whole thing.

So, currently, more teams who had undefeated regular seasons have not won the championship than those that have. NE can make it 50/50 if they win it all in a few weeks.

Im not sure what you are talking about. The only NFL team that went undefeated in the regular season was the 72 phins and they won it all.

The bears went 15 -1 back in the 80's and won it all also.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2008, 05:28:58 PM »
Im not sure what you are talking about. The only NFL team that went undefeated in the regular season was the 72 phins and they won it all.

Actually, you're wrong...

Look it up... Hell, I'll do it for you.

What NFL teams have had undefeated seasons?

Answer

The 1972 Miami Dolphins have had the only undefeated season in NFL history. They went 14-0 in the regular season and wound up winning Super Bowl VII to finish at 17-0.

Answer

The 1972 Dolphins are the only team to ever go undefeated.

Answer

The Chicago Bears had 2 undefeated regular seasons. In 1934 they were 13-0 and in 1942 they were 11-0. However, in both seasons they lost the NFL championship game. In 1934, they lost to the New York Giants and in 1942 they lost to the Washington Redskins.

Answer

And now, the 2007 New England Patriots have joined the ranks with an undefeated 16-0 regular season. Only time will tell if they can complete the sweep through the playoffs.

(For what it's worth, I didn't know this until ESPN did a clip on it about a week ago)

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 05:32:39 PM »

Final standings
W = Wins, L = Losses, T = Ties, PCT= Winning Percentage, PF= Points For, PA = Points Against

Eastern Division
Team W L T PCT PF PA
New York Giants 8 5 0 .615 147 107
Boston Redskins 6 6 0 .500 107 94
Brooklyn Dodgers 4 7 0 .364 61 153
Philadelphia Eagles 4 7 0 .364 127 85
Pittsburgh Pirates 2 10 0 .167 51 206
Western Division
Team W L T PCT PF PA
Chicago Bears 13 0 0 1.000 286 86
Detroit Lions 10 3 0 .769 238 59
Green Bay Packers 7 6 0 .538 156 112
Chicago Cardinals 5 6 0 .455 80 84
St. Louis Gunners 1 2 0 .333 27 61
Cincinnati Reds 0 8 0 .000 10 243

[edit] NFL Championship Game
For more details on this topic, see NFL Championship Game, 1934.
N.Y. Giants 30, Chi. Bears 13 at Polo Grounds, New York City, December 9, 1934

W = Wins, L = Losses, T = Ties, PCT= Winning Percentage, PF= Points For, PA = Points Against

Eastern Division
Team W L T PCT PF PA
Washington Redskins 10 1 0 .909 227 102
Pittsburgh Steelers 7 4 0 .636 167 119
New York Giants 5 5 1 .500 155 139
Brooklyn Dodgers 3 8 0 .273 100 168
Philadelphia Eagles 2 9 0 .182 134 239
Western Division
Team W L T PCT PF PA
Chicago Bears 11 0 0 1.000 376 84
Green Bay Packers 8 2 1 .800 300 215
Cleveland Rams 5 6 0 .455 150 207
Chicago Cardinals 3 8 0 .273 98 209
Detroit Lions 0 11 0 .000 38 263

[edit] NFL Championship Game
Washington 14, Chi. Bears 6, at Griffith Stadium, Washington, D.C., December 13, 1942

~

body88

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2008, 06:25:32 AM »
The 30's. Haha how many teams where in the "NFL" in the 30's? How many games where in a season back then? The only "modern day" undefeated team is the 72 phins. The NFL was not the NFL back then.

I guess you can count those two teams , but I dont see much of anything that would apply to a modern day NFL team there.

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2008, 06:26:18 AM »
The 30's. Haha how many teams where in the "NFL" in the 30's?
i think just the steelers and they still didnt win the supa bowl  ;D

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2008, 07:13:55 AM »
The 30's. Haha how many teams where in the "NFL" in the 30's? How many games where in a season back then? The only "modern day" undefeated team is the 72 phins. The NFL was not the NFL back then.

I guess you can count those two teams , but I dont see much of anything that would apply to a modern day NFL team there.

yea im with you on them not mattering i mean that was even before there was an NFL...but like i keep on saying the PATRIOTS cant lose...im telling you..

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2008, 12:04:13 PM »

So what you're saying is, you're wrong... Glad we cleared that up.

You can talk about Modern day this or that, but those guys played Ironman ball then... both sides of the field, in leather helmets and shit for protection. They were warriors...

You could even touch the quarterback back then... Who'd have imagined.

Players today are pussies compared to those guys.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2008, 12:19:35 PM »

You can talk about Modern day this or that, but those guys played Ironman ball then... both sides of the field, in leather helmets and shit for protection. They were warriors...

i would agree to a point those players back then were warriors...playing both ends and shit...

body88

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2008, 12:39:06 PM »

What I am saying is the phins are the only team even remotely comparable to the 2007 / 2008 pats and they won it all.If you want I can drum up some undefeated college teams from the 30's and try to relate there success to the pats chances to win it all. I wont though because it would be a waste of time imo. The NFL is the thirties had pretty much nothing in common with NFL football in the modern day era.

But yea , there where 3 undefeated teams. One of those won the superbowl , the other two lost in the thirties when the leauge was totally different then it is today.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2008, 03:10:48 PM »

What I am saying is the phins are the only team even remotely comparable to the 2007 / 2008 and they won it all.If you want I can drum up some undefeated college teams from the 30's and try to relate there success to the pats chances to win it all. I wont though because it would be a waste of time imo. The NFL is the thirties had pretty much nothing in common with NFL football in the modern day era.

It was either the NFL or it wasn't.

Like comparing Moss's record year versus Rice's year.

Rice did it in 12 games, during a strike year, had he had 16, Moss wouldn't have even had a chance to break it... but that's not what matters, what matters is that Moss has the record right?

Exactly... So, my factual statement stands. You don't have to like it, but until the Pats do indeed "win it all", they're still a hopeful, nothing more.

I don't hate it, and if they win, great, I'll have seen history in my lifetime...

However, until they do, they are not special... Other teams have had undefeated regular seasons and still not won the championship game.

I have made ZERO errors in any of my statements... like them or not, they are fact.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2008, 03:13:59 PM »
my pick is the Pats by 9 or better

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2008, 08:23:16 AM »
I hope someone plants Rivers so far into the ground his farts are mistaken for a hot spring. >:(

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2008, 10:12:29 AM »
Pats will win over Bolts.

Super Bowl will be like Rocky IV

-The Man vs the Machine-

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2008, 03:24:29 PM »
it will be brett and and tom fighting it out for the supa bowl dosnt get much more american than that

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2008, 08:57:44 PM »
it will be brett and and tom fighting it out for the supa bowl dosnt get much more american than that

yup

Gym dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2008, 09:06:38 PM »
That would also be my pick for the Super Bowl Tom Vs Brett which would be a classic Super Bowl.

body88

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2008, 08:19:03 AM »
It was either the NFL or it wasn't.

Like comparing Moss's record year versus Rice's year.

Rice did it in 12 games, during a strike year, had he had 16, Moss wouldn't have even had a chance to break it... but that's not what matters, what matters is that Moss has the record right?

Exactly... So, my factual statement stands. You don't have to like it, but until the Pats do indeed "win it all", they're still a hopeful, nothing more.

I don't hate it, and if they win, great, I'll have seen history in my lifetime...

However, until they do, they are not special... Other teams have had undefeated regular seasons and still not won the championship game.

I have made ZERO errors in any of my statements... like them or not, they are fact.

My point was there have been three regular season team that went undefeated in NFL history. Two of those team during a period where the NFL was totally different then it is today. Those season where also not 16 games. Your right what the pats have done this year is nothing special at all.As it stands the pats are the only undefeated 16 game winner in NFL history. when the dolphins did it over 14 games they played one team with a winning record I believe.

If the pats win today they will be the only team in NFL history to win 18 straight games in a season. They are the greatest offensive team in NFL history which imo is a great achievment.

If the pats dont win the superbowl it will be a huge letdown , but they will be far from nothing special because of that.