Author Topic: Niners  (Read 144062 times)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Re: Niners
« Reply #475 on: February 29, 2024, 12:23:38 AM »
I cannot recall any who went to the NFC Championship and Super Bowl in the their first two years, and then regressed.  If there are some, there cannot be that many. 

Overall, I think people just cannot get over the fact that Purdy was the last pick in the draft.  If he was a first round pick they would be talking about him like was Peyton Manning.  (No I'm not saying he's as good as Manning.)
He may not regress but the Niners probably will. It is very difficult to keep winning at that level year after year. I see KC regressing next year as well.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #476 on: February 29, 2024, 12:57:24 AM »
I cannot recall any who went to the NFC Championship and Super Bowl in the their first two years, and then regressed.  If there are some, there cannot be that many. 

Overall, I think people just cannot get over the fact that Purdy was the last pick in the draft.  If he was a first round pick they would be talking about him like was Peyton Manning.  (No I'm not saying he's as good as Manning.)

mark sanchez made it to the afc championship his first 2 years, plenty looked great as rookies and then regressed greatly, RG3 comes to mind

yeah purdy is well accomplished for his first 2 years, but that roster is loaded

and yes it is hard to get passed him being mr. irrelevant

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #477 on: February 29, 2024, 11:43:49 AM »
He may not regress but the Niners probably will. It is very difficult to keep winning at that level year after year. I see KC regressing next year as well.

Definitely hard to keep winning every year, but I think the only thing that will prevent them from winning is injuries.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #478 on: February 29, 2024, 11:53:15 AM »
mark sanchez made it to the afc championship his first 2 years, plenty looked great as rookies and then regressed greatly, RG3 comes to mind

yeah purdy is well accomplished for his first 2 years, but that roster is loaded

and yes it is hard to get passed him being mr. irrelevant

E

I just looked at the Sanchez stats.  He actually did better for a short while after this first two years.  And here are his numbers the first three years:

2009:  2444 yards, 12 TDs, 20 INTs, 53.8 completion percentage, 63 percent passer rating
2010:  3291 yards, 17 TDs, 13 INTs, 54.8 completion percentage, 75.3 percent passer rating
2011:  3474 yards, 26 TDs, 18 INTs, 56.7 completion percentage, 78.2 percent passer rating.

Regressed in 2012. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SancMa00.htm

Not exactly stellar and nowhere near what Purdy did the past couple years. 

It's possible Purdy could regress, but I will be surprised if he gets worse instead of better. 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #479 on: February 29, 2024, 07:53:28 PM »
I just looked at the Sanchez stats.  He actually did better for a short while after this first two years.  And here are his numbers the first three years:

2009:  2444 yards, 12 TDs, 20 INTs, 53.8 completion percentage, 63 percent passer rating
2010:  3291 yards, 17 TDs, 13 INTs, 54.8 completion percentage, 75.3 percent passer rating
2011:  3474 yards, 26 TDs, 18 INTs, 56.7 completion percentage, 78.2 percent passer rating.

Regressed in 2012. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SancMa00.htm

Not exactly stellar and nowhere near what Purdy did the past couple years. 

It's possible Purdy could regress, but I will be surprised if he gets worse instead of better.

Purdy would have a SB win if his team didn't run into a legend in his prime.

Mahomes is on another level right now.
Y

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #480 on: March 01, 2024, 10:07:31 PM »

a lot of guys could say the same

Mahomes wasn't that great in the super bowl, he needed 5 full quarters just to get 300 yards passing

i think this is a weak era of quarterbacks

E
E

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #481 on: March 01, 2024, 11:27:52 PM »
I think KC already did regress. Last years superbowl they had many rookies on roster playing defence, this year they were much better. They all have,what, at least a year of contracts left?
Offence wasn’t as spectacular as it was couple of years earlier but they ran a lot.
Biggest to me for Kansas was that they peaked at the right time.

Funny thing about QBs. Garappolo was the next big thing in SanFran but that one overthrown deep crossing route in SuperBowl and he suddenly became a bum, liability.

Brock came to similar situation than Dak Prescott did. Great team around him. It is not his fault.
Just put the ball into playmakers hands.
Still, odd that high picked qb from couple of years age didn’t manage…although 49ers didn’t have CMC yet. One more in the box makes a big difference to reading routes.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #482 on: March 02, 2024, 12:36:55 AM »
I think KC already did regress. Last years superbowl they had many rookies on roster playing defence, this year they were much better. They all have,what, at least a year of contracts left?
Offence wasn’t as spectacular as it was couple of years earlier but they ran a lot.
Biggest to me for Kansas was that they peaked at the right time.

Funny thing about QBs. Garappolo was the next big thing in SanFran but that one overthrown deep crossing route in SuperBowl and he suddenly became a bum, liability.

Brock came to similar situation than Dak Prescott did. Great team around him. It is not his fault.
Just put the ball into playmakers hands.
Still, add that high picked qb from couple of years age didn’t manage…although 49ers didn’t have CMC yet. One more in the box makes a big difference to reading routes.
Yeah, KC was off last year. Didn't have they bye week in the playoffs and had to win 2 road games. The Bills and Ravens chocked away a great opportunity.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #483 on: March 04, 2024, 12:39:57 PM »

I agree.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #484 on: March 12, 2024, 03:42:53 PM »
a lot of guys could say the same

Mahomes wasn't that great in the super bowl, he needed 5 full quarters just to get 300 yards passing

i think this is a weak era of quarterbacks

E

He wasn't that great, but did anyone think when the game was on the line, he wasn't going to get it done?  He wasn't great last two games, but he stays calm and makes the big drive in the clutch.
Y

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #485 on: March 12, 2024, 04:00:43 PM »
Yeah, KC was off last year. Didn't have they bye week in the playoffs and had to win 2 road games. The Bills and Ravens chocked away a great opportunity.

Yeah, the Ravens even choked too.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #486 on: March 13, 2024, 12:47:41 AM »

Yeah, the Ravens even choked too.
My spelling at 3 am isn't very good. ;D