Author Topic: RIP - Ed Corney - 01-01-19  (Read 51134 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Re: Ed Corney R.I.P.
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2019, 01:20:01 AM »
Nick doesnt have a normal job. Makes his living from you tube.

Really? I thought I saw a vid where he says that he just made a 100,000 views or subscribers, not sure which. He said that he's starting to take it more seriously and mentioned that he "hopes" to make some money off of it.

I got the impression that it was just starting to get him some extra money. Maybe the vid was old. It was one of the those question/answer type vids about him personally. How he trains? Supps he takes? Favorite music... stuff like that. I thought it was recent.

Surprised at how young he is when I first saw him. Great voice. I like his personality and the way he comes across. No flashy, crazy stuff people do to get attention and views. Just loves bbing and follows it closely and then shares the stuff he's learned. Also, in the process he's become very knowledgeable. Marquee Brownlee is kind of like that on the tech side and I did read that he makes about $700/day on YouTube but he also does a lot of other stuff that generates income. Only 25 years old.

Only in America.

pellius

• Getbig V
Re: RIP - Ed Corney - 01-01-19
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2019, 01:34:14 AM »
So I'm at the gym today and I see two girls that I know doing squats. They are both pretty hard core and one of them competes and does pretty well. Anyway, I tell them if they remember Ed Corney from PI. One says he kind of sounds familiar. They both said they've seen the movie so I mentioned the squatting scene with Arnold and how when I was a kid I use to think of that scene to inspire me. I also mentioned that he was from Hawaii. They both kind of smiled and one said, "How old was he?"

They didn't know who he was.

I kind of asked around the gym if they remember Ed Corney. I picked people that were at least in their forties. Still nothing.

I even asked a trainer, who was probably in his late forties, if he knew who Arthur Jones was. Never heard of him. When I told him he developed Nautilus and virtually all the machines we have in the gym today is based on his original equipment with the cams and everything he then proudly boasted that he has heard of Nautilus.

Kind of sad really.

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2019, 05:20:09 AM »
How many times did Corney marry?
Wiki doesn't say much about his private life:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Corney

Five ex wives? Arnold once made a remark about Ed giving him relationship advice, and that Ed knew what he was talking about since he had been married so many times  :-)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2019, 05:26:12 AM »
So I'm at the gym today and I see two girls that I know doing squats. They are both pretty hard core and one of them competes and does pretty well. Anyway, I tell them if they remember Ed Corney from PI. One says he kind of sounds familiar. They both said they've seen the movie so I mentioned the squatting scene with Arnold and how when I was a kid I use to think of that scene to inspire me. I also mentioned that he was from Hawaii. They both kind of smiled and one said, "How old was he?"

I kind of asked around the gym if they remember Ed Corney. I picked people that were at least in their forties. Still nothing.

I even asked a trainer, who was probably in his late forties, if he knew who Arthur Jones was. Never heard of him. When I told him he developed Nautilus and virtually all the machines we have in the gym today is based on his original equipment with the cams and everything he then proudly boasted that he has heard of Nautilus.

Kind of sad really.
That`s because todays gyms are populated with regular average people,(most who have no clue as to why they are even there), as opposed to back in the day when most members were bodybuilding,powerlifters,arm-wrestling competitively,or Olympic weightlifters........... . among other serious track & field athletes who trained hard with the heavy iron.

In a few words................... ..todays gyms suck.

It brings back fond memories to me to have been involved all those great years full of great bodybuilders and gym camaraderie,but in the same vein,I feel a huge loss because that atmosphere no longer exists.

Anyone my age, older, or a bit younger,knows exactly what I`m trying to convey.  :(

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2019, 05:35:41 AM »

Kind of sad really.
              you should have directed them to this site to get educated as to the history of bodybuilding and the iron sports.
F

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2019, 05:39:52 AM »

Kind of sad really.

don't bother people when they're working out.  rule #1

replace your weights rule #2

there are more but that's enough for now

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2019, 05:43:31 AM »

Kind of sad really.

My gym has the original Gary Jones Hammer strength machine. No one knows who Gary Jones is let alone his father.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2019, 05:53:58 AM »
Most of todays gym goers don`t even know what a dumbell is until they look in the mirror!

Damn,I sound bitter!   :(

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2019, 06:04:28 AM »
Who gives a shit? Let them work out in peace. Let people who actually do care know the history of the sport.

On the same token, you can apply that to today. Wes, can you name even a few of the top guys competing in the Classic or Physique division? No? Blasphemy! ... Exactly. You get the point now.

As long as they aren't fucking around in the gym and disrupting it for people who actually want to use it for its intention, just go about your business.

If you want to educate them, then do it. Start a YouTube or Instagram page and educate people. Apart from that... people are free to know or not know what they want.
WELCOME TO THE THUNDERDOPME............ .....FUCKFACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111

I don`t bother or even talk to anyone in the gym.............to me they are mere flotsam who get in my way.

Plus,if I want to hold old memories dear,what`s the big deal?

In other words,go fuck yourself newbie!

milone79

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2019, 08:14:54 AM »
WELCOME TO THE THUNDERDOPME............ .....FUCKFACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111

I don`t bother or even talk to anyone in the gym.............to me they are mere flotsam who get in my way.

THIS X 1000!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2019, 02:32:42 PM »
How many times did Corney marry?
Wiki doesn't say much about his private life:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Corney

Five ex wives? Arnold once made a remark about Ed giving him relationship advice, and that Ed knew what he was talking about since he had been married so many times  :-)

Pretty funny, giving advice about something of which you clearly know nothing or at least very little. Despite Ed Corney's advice, things didn't go that well for Arnold although he has only been married once.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2019, 02:43:25 PM »
Pretty funny, giving advice about something of which you clearly know nothing or at least very little. Despite Ed Corney's advice, things didn't go that well for Arnold although he has only been married once.
:)
F

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2019, 08:58:51 PM »
More early Ed:

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2019, 02:09:26 AM »
              you should have directed them to this site to get educated as to the history of bodybuilding and the iron sports.

LOL! I doubt showing them a website on my phone while on the gym floor will go over well with the girls. I did try to show them that short excerpt with Corny squatting with Arnold, even fast forwarding to the part where he eeks out that one rep,  and says, "Goddamn.", then doing that one last death rep. I said that will inspire them while they squatted. They just smiled politely and went back to their workout.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2019, 02:12:15 AM »
don't bother people when they're working out.  rule #1

replace your weights rule #2

there are more but that's enough for now

Shut the fuck up. I talk with them and others all the time. It's one thing to carry on an extended conversation and quite another to be polite and cordial with people you've become friends with and see socially for years.

Of course, I'm not as hard core as you are and you probably have the whole hoody and Beats head phone thing going on and I'm sure you have the physique to prove it.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2019, 02:15:13 AM »

What an idiot that guy is. I wasn't giving a history lesson. I was passing on breaking news that a bbing legend has died and was just surprised that they never heard of him.

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2019, 04:34:01 AM »
Shut the fuck up. I talk with them and others all the time. It's one thing to carry on an extended conversation and quite another to be polite and cordial with people you've become friends with and see socially for years.

Of course, I'm not as hard core as you are and you probably have the whole hoody and Beats head phone thing going on and I'm sure you have the physique to prove it.

that's what I'm telling you to do, is to shut the fuck up when you're at the gym.  no one wants to hear from you

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2019, 10:37:21 AM »

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2019, 12:22:02 PM »
I saw Ed at the 2013 Orlando Pro expo [I believe], as I was going around getting interviews from various pro bodybuilders.  I said "I'll get Ed next time."

Only after moving to get another video elsewhere on the expo floor, did I stop and think "Oh wait.  Ed is 81.  Maybe I should have gotten that interview this time."

I also saw a Facebook post that stated that YouTubers like the Hodge Twins had big lines at the expos, yet a legend like Ed was sitting at his table, with next to no people in line waiting for an autograph, and how he said that reflects negatively on the bodybuilding fan base.  I don't know if anyone else saw that semi-viral picture thread.

I had assumed Ed was 81 in 2013 because I recalled Pumping Iron stating that he was 43 years old - and that was in 1975.  Making his year of birth 1932.  But I suppose the producers of Pumping Iron got his date of birth wrong.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2019, 02:21:42 PM »
that's what I'm telling you to do, is to shut the fuck up when you're at the gym.  no one wants to hear from you

Actually, they do. It's you nobody wants to hear. You're the typical asshole that acts like a tough guy being anonymous on the net "Dokey".

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2019, 05:01:00 PM »
The Legends are dropping.

Schwarzenegger is dead within five years.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2019, 05:10:55 PM »
RIP

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2019, 05:46:58 PM »
The Legends are dropping.

Schwarzenegger is dead within five years.

Louie will prob go first from a flu shot

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2019, 05:53:09 PM »
I saw Ed at the 2013 Orlando Pro expo [I believe], as I was going around getting interviews from various pro bodybuilders.  I said "I'll get Ed next time."

Only after moving to get another video elsewhere on the expo floor, did I stop and think "Oh wait.  Ed is 81.  Maybe I should have gotten that interview this time."

I also saw a Facebook post that stated that YouTubers like the Hodge Twins had big lines at the expos, yet a legend like Ed was sitting at his table, with next to no people in line waiting for an autograph, and how he said that reflects negatively on the bodybuilding fan base.  I don't know if anyone else saw that semi-viral picture thread.

I had assumed Ed was 81 in 2013 because I recalled Pumping Iron stating that he was 43 years old - and that was in 1975.  Making his year of birth 1932.  But I suppose the producers of Pumping Iron got his date of birth wrong.

How tall you think Ed was? He’s listed as 5’9 but judging from pics posted he looks 5’7

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2019, 06:48:30 PM »
The scene in Pumping Iron where Ed Corney and Arnold were squatting was always a source of inspiration for me when I trained legs.

I haven't watched it in a while, I think I'll watch on my next leg day.