Author Topic: "The Wrestler " Staring Mickey Rourke Official Thread  (Read 19592 times)

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
"The Wrestler " Staring Mickey Rourke Official Thread
« on: January 12, 2009, 03:36:04 PM »
I just watched The Wrestler and I have to say I have know many guys just like that.  I will not name names cause some are friends of my family. I thought the movie was very factual.   It is so sad when a older wrestler does not know when to hang it up.   I'm so glade my dad was not like that.    When the movie comes out on DVD I will get him to watch it.  I'm sure he will hate it and say that it exposes the bussines and is breaking  "kayfabe".
I give it two thumbs up.

spinnis

Re: Karl Kox's Review on The Wresler
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 03:57:05 PM »
Movie was great and yeah it felt like it showed off the REAL aspect of wrestling.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 04:10:34 PM »
did you crack one off?

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 04:19:36 PM »

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 04:22:28 PM »
did your dad like bruno sammartino?

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
Good movie. I wanted to crack one off to Marissa Tomei, but i forgot my trenchcoat.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 04:28:28 PM »
"and in the red corner.........the challenger..........weig hing 187 pounds.................. ............Mickey Rourke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 04:34:24 PM »
did your dad like bruno sammartino?

Yes he has nothing but good things to say about him. 

spinnis

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 04:47:22 PM »
"and in the red corner.........the challenger..........weig hing 187 pounds.................. ............Mickey Rourke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Have you seen the movie?

I think he looked good for his age. :) well he looked AMAZING for 56yr of age.

chester_bbb

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • #1 Shawn Ray fan!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 01:22:10 PM »
Yes he has nothing but good things to say about him. 

What about Dino Bravo?

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 01:52:42 PM »
What about Dino Bravo?

I'm not sure if he knew him that weel.  I remember meeting him once when I was about 5 or 6

AVBG

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 01:57:58 PM »
what does  "kayfabe" mean Karl?

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 02:00:27 PM »
what does  "kayfabe" mean Karl?

If I told you I would be breaking Kayfabe.  hahahahah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayfabe

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 04:37:51 PM »
My old man says MR will win the Oscar for this film!  Hollywood loves a comback, he says. 

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
Re: Karl Kox's Review on "The Wresler" Movie
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 06:23:41 PM »
my only problem with the movie is when hes buying gear in the locker room , if mickey was on as much shit as they where trying to make it look, he would have been a fucking monster, they should have toned that seen down a bit , maybe just some test and d-bol , instead of trying to sell him ronnie colemans medicine cabinet ,tren , gowth etc.

he was trying to get back into shape. They were not trying to make it seem that he had been  " on " for a long time.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
  • My power is discombobulatingly & devastating!
Mickey Rourke’s cycle from “The Wrestler” BY Anthonyroberts
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 12:21:18 AM »
n case you haven’t seen it, The Wrestler, is a really great movie. From my research into professional wrestling, I’d have to say it’s very accurate, down to the lingo and slang. But aside from how realistic it is, it’s simply a well done movie. I mean…it won a Golden Globe already, and people are already talking Oscar for it.

If you’re interested, the entire movie seems to have been filmed in New Jersey, and much of it was actually done in local Pioneer Clubs, one of which is located in the town I live in.

One of the things I thought was interesting was that the main character (played by Mickey Rourke) does steroids, but it’s not really harped on in the movie. They show him injecting one time, and buying them another time. The realism is pretty good, even down to the part where he buys growth hormone, and tells his dealer that he doesn’t trust the Chinese stuff.
I suppose the only gripe I’d have with the fact that he does steroids is that he doesn’t use any painkillers, which as anyone familiar with the real behind-the-scenes stuff in professional wrestling knows, is a much bigger problem.

I’m not going to spoil the movie for you, because it’s just so good that I hope you see it. But if you’re interested in the cycle that Mickey Rourke purchases in the movie, here it is:

1 kit of Growth Hormone
    1 Bottle of Dianabol
    1 Bottle of Anadrol
    1 Bottle of EQ
    2 Bottles of Tren
    1 Bottle of Insulin
    4 Boxes of Sustanon, 3 amps per box
    (Total Cost: $900)

Looks like a solid 12 week cycle to me, and obviously written out by someone who knows what a cycle actually looks like - in fact the Sustanon even looks totally real, down to the packages. To be honest, this looks like a more reasonable cycle than what I see daily on message boards.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
I just drove 40 miles to see the wrestler
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 01:12:01 AM »
And WOW! it was so worth it, ill have a full write up tomorrow detailing my thoughts on the movie.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
Re: I just drove 40 miles to see the wrestler
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 01:34:57 AM »
And WOW! it was so worth it, ill have a full write up tomorrow detailing my thoughts on the movie.

LOOKING FORWARD TO READING IT

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
The Wrestler scores pair of Oscar nominations
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 07:05:05 AM »
The Wrestler scores pair of Oscar nominations
By Steven Wilson
Jan 22, 2009 - 9:15:37 AM

The Wrestler has nabbed 2 Oscar nominations, First up is Mickey Rourke for Best Actor ( up against Richard Jenkins, "The Visitor"; Frank Langella, "Frost/Nixon"; Sean Penn, "Milk"; and Brad Pitt, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"Wink

Marisa Tomei was nominated for Best supporting actress facing off against : Amy Adams, "Doubt"; Penelope Cruz, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"; Viola Davis, "Doubt"; and Taraji P. Henson, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Surprisingly, Bruce Springsteen’s song specifically written for the film was not nominated in the original song category, despite the fact that it captured the Golden Globe in the same category.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: "The Wrestler " Staring Mickey Rourke Official Thread
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 10:20:05 PM »
Flexingtons Review!

Ok here it is.

The Acting: Superb.

Mickey Rourke was awesome, you can feel his emotion as someone who has nothing, is 20 years past his prime and is holding onto the only thing in life that makes him feel good, because he has nothing else. He went to wrestling school for this role and trained with Afa, obviously got on the juice and was in amazing shape, he definetely deserves the oscar.

Marissa Tomeii. Was amazing as well, her stripper scenes were awesome, she got in great shape and looked like a has been beat up stripper. This could be her comeback role, shes a very underatted actress.

And evan rachel wood who played the daughter, really brought the movie together, her scenes with rourke really showed u how big of a fuck up rourkes character was and really made u feel for him and her.

All the actors had great chemistry together.

The wrestling scenes:

Were fantastic, real independant wrestlers were used for these scenes and the it showed in the reality, ive been watching wrestling for 20 years and this was good, from the part with mickey blading in the first wrestling scene to the communication between him and "the ayotollay" in the last scene the movie was very real.

Overall:
All in all it was a great story, i have some friends who and are independent wrestlers and i could totally relate to this movie, because i know people like "the ram" and its sad, just as it was in the film, but this movie portrayed it amazingly. The steroid scene was  little over the top, just dealing n the gym locker room like that, but steroid use is definetely a factor in wrestling, so i feel that, that scene was needed.

Great movie! go see it!!!

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 01:14:40 PM »
i downloaded it, very good movie

E
E

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 01:52:35 PM »
Flexingtons Review!

Ok here it is.

The Acting: Superb.

Mickey Rourke was awesome, you can feel his emotion as someone who has nothing, is 20 years past his prime and is holding onto the only thing in life that makes him feel good, because he has nothing else. He went to wrestling school for this role and trained with Afa, obviously got on the juice and was in amazing shape, he definetely deserves the oscar.

Marissa Tomeii. Was amazing as well, her stripper scenes were awesome, she got in great shape and looked like a has been beat up stripper. This could be her comeback role, shes a very underatted actress.

And evan rachel wood who played the daughter, really brought the movie together, her scenes with rourke really showed u how big of a fuck up rourkes character was and really made u feel for him and her.

All the actors had great chemistry together.

The wrestling scenes:

Were fantastic, real independant wrestlers were used for these scenes and the it showed in the reality, ive been watching wrestling for 20 years and this was good, from the part with mickey blading in the first wrestling scene to the communication between him and "the ayotollay" in the last scene the movie was very real.

Overall:
All in all it was a great story, i have some friends who and are independent wrestlers and i could totally relate to this movie, because i know people like "the ram" and its sad, just as it was in the film, but this movie portrayed it amazingly. The steroid scene was  little over the top, just dealing n the gym locker room like that, but steroid use is definetely a factor in wrestling, so i feel that, that scene was needed.

Great movie! go see it!!!

I agree

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 05:28:58 PM »
FU.CK THIS PLACE I QUIT, YOU STILL WANT SOME FU.CKEN  CHEESE.... AAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW.... GROCERY STORE BEING TRASHED...

WHAT A GREAT MOVIE

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 06:09:46 PM »
FU.CK THIS PLACE I QUIT, YOU STILL WANT SOME FU.CKEN  CHEESE.... AAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW.... GROCERY STORE BEING TRASHED...

WHAT A GREAT MOVIE

LOL

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 06:34:13 PM »

WHAT A GREAT MOVIE

yea that scene was amazing, one of the best on screen meltdowns ever!