Author Topic: The World Famous Sportatorium  (Read 3336 times)

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
The World Famous Sportatorium
« on: February 01, 2009, 10:47:34 PM »
The Sportatorium was world famous and a  great building for wrestling.  It was built just for that.  It was so sad when they tore it down a few years ago.  A lot of people tried to promote wrestling there . A friend of mine tried twice, he was half way successful with Mexican wrestling. Many great wrestlers got their start there . Many Great wrestlers ended their career there. They tore it down cause homeless people were sleeping there and they caught it on fire.  About a week before they started tearing it down I went down there with a friend of mine and we broke in the place and I took a old chair out of the heel dressing room that I'm sure my old man occupied many nights, and the bottle opener off the wall that he opened many bottles of beer with. I gave them with to my old man and with tears in his eyes he said   " you know how many bottles of beer we opened with this thing? "    Then when they started tearing it down I went back and rummaged threw the rubble and I shit you not I found a little pipe on it that said Chris.  It could have been Chris Adams or Chris Von Erich or just some homeless dudes?  Who knows ?
All the wrestlers would always complain about how hard the ring was, because it was actually a stage . They would use the building for concerts like The Big D Jamborre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Sportatorium

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
Re: The World Famous Sportatorium
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 11:01:11 PM »
 :D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 05:05:20 AM »
Great pics and thread KK.  I remember reading in the mags during the 80's about events taking place there and wondering what it looked like.  Very cool.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 05:34:39 PM »
thanks