Author Topic: (17th July) Love or Hate?  (Read 6547 times)

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
(17th July) Love or Hate?
« on: July 17, 2009, 06:01:08 PM »
Hulk Hogan

Is this the man who put professional wrestling on the map?  A man whose sheer charisma and presence took the industry to heights that it had never experienced before, and put WWF firmly on the road to being the biggest company in sports entertainment?  Was he also a man who could actually wrestle, using a much more traditional style in his time in Japan?  And did he also understand when he had become stale, switching to heel and forming one of the most famous stables in history, the nWo?  All in all, was he the greatest and most recognised superstar in history?

OR

Was he simply in the right place at the right time?  As Vince once said "I could have chosen anybody to be Hulk Hogan."  Was he really a limited in-ring technician, who got by on a few moves and his famous 'hulking up'.  A man who preached 'training, prayers and vitamins' yet was a star witness in a steroid trial.  Did he believe his own hype, refusing to job to certain other guys, because he was the star?  Does he deserve to have a broken family to go with his broken body?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: (17th July) Love or Hate?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 07:28:19 PM »
Hogan was a star long before McMahon signed him.
He was at the top of the card in every territory he worked.
He had the look, the character, and the appeal.

Vince McMahon had a vision that transcended what any other promoter had in mind.
He bought into cable TV and the MTV generation.
He took professional wrestling out of the carnivals and armories, and took it mainstream.

Hogan would’ve remained on top no matter where he went, but would have been limited by the restricted scope of the other promoters. In other words, he would be on top, but the top only went so far up.
McMahon took the business (and Hogan's potential) to new heights.

Vince would’ve tried using someone else who may or may not have faired as well as “Terry.”
Remember some of the past failures – Luger, Sid, etc.
His biggest successes since then have been “accidents” like Cena, Austin, and Rock. Vince made them stars based on the fans’ response.
Hogan was different.
Hogan is the only wrestler I can think of who Vince actively and SUCCESSFULLY pursued to make THE star.

Both men reached the heights they did as a result of the other.

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 07:43:52 PM »
Love him. 

Everyone fucks up sometime.  Steroids and sleeping with his daughter's friend after being separated is light weight.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 06:18:45 AM »
Both men reached the heights they did as a result of the other.

Definitely, Hogan did as much for Vince's success as Vince ever did for him.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 06:37:39 AM »
True.
I roll my eyes when Terry & the old man do interviews while on the “outs,” and each claims they did more than the other, or that the other wouldn’t have made it without them, etc…
Then when they have a good working relationship again they blow smoke up each other's asses - "Oh, I could never have done it without him."

Shut up.

Here’s a good "Love or Hate" debate:
Who is most responsible for drawing the first Wrestle Mania?
Vince?
Hogan?
Piper?
Or “Maniac” Mat Borne?

Okay, I threw Borne in there simply because I like to think of Doink actually working the 1st WM card.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 05:28:27 PM »
I agree that vince would have managed to push the WWF to the mainstream eventually without hogan.

but, it probably would not have become nearly as big as it did.

Hogan had the charisma, size, style and ability to really connect with the fans, which meant that he always managed to put on a great show.

he was the draw that they needed at the time to really get peoples attention.

he had the appeal to become a crossover star (appearing at the grammy's as Cindi Lauper's date etc) that no one else had at the time.

in fact, he was ahead of his time, in a way.

Flower Boy Ran Away

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 08:21:02 PM »
Successful TV star..

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 04:00:31 AM »
But there's no doubt he was the right act at the right time.

Very true, but...

he was the only one who had it at that time.

Don’t forget that Vince laid practically "everything he had" on the line to promote that first Wrestle Mania. If it didn’t make it, he was done. There would have been no waiting around for Dwayne Johnson.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 05:03:13 AM »
Hogan was wrestling. There was NO bigger star in the 80's and most of the ninties then Hogan. He became larger then the entire wrestling industry. He made wrestling mainstream. No one can ever take that away from him. As for him making mistakes, hey, we all do. But I think a lot of people would be very disappointed if they new the real truths behind their favorite athletes in any sport.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 07:09:51 AM »
What do you guys think of his current problems with Linda and the divorce?  Should he have to pay her all this money to keep her in the 'lifestyle to which she is accustomed'?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 08:24:09 AM »
What do you guys think of his current problems with Linda and the divorce?  Should he have to pay her all this money to keep her in the 'lifestyle to which she is accustomed'?

His wife is a gold digging, money sucking bitch born & bread. She spent his money all the time, constantly shopping, never worked a day in her life, lazy good for nothing trash bag. He gave her everything and she still didn't / doesn't appreciate it. She just doesn't get it. Wealth comes with a price tag so excuse him for not being home. While he was on the road 300+ days a year getting banged up she was in the malls spending his cash and laying in the hot sun. If you ever watched Hogan knows best, you can see he was a good father, a great provider and a family man. She was the problem. Never happy spoiled bitch. But, life today in court is that they always side with the women even if the guy is 1000% right. She'll get 20 million. You watch.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 11:27:02 AM »
It's a shame. But then again Hulkamania will live forever. He'll be pissed off for the rest of his life for sure. But that guy will always be able to earn money. She won't. Another lesson learned from the Hulkster. Get a pre-nup or better yet? Never marry. Whatcha gonna do?!
Pre-nup is definately the way to go. If the woman truly loves you and isn't materialistic then she will have absolutely no problems signing it.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 01:34:18 PM »
It annoys me when she comes asking for more money per month, cos she 'can't afford to pay her bills'!  He's giving her what, 150k a month?  What the hell is she paying for?  And she wanted more money for security!  She wanted the divorce.  You can't have it both ways.  She doesn't want Hulk, but she wants Hulk's money.  Get a job you lazy bitch.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 01:44:37 PM »
I agree on hogan's wife. what a gold digging bitch.

but I would still fuck her and his daughter at the same time in a heartbeat :)
Flower Boy Ran Away

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 12:43:50 PM »
It annoys me when she comes asking for more money per month, cos she 'can't afford to pay her bills'!  He's giving her what, 150k a month?  What the hell is she paying for?  And she wanted more money for security!  She wanted the divorce.  You can't have it both ways.  She doesn't want Hulk, but she wants Hulk's money.  Get a job you lazy bitch.
Exactly. She wanted the damn divorce, she's the one who spent all the money shopping with her idiot daughter, she's the one who never worked a day in her life and she's the one who ran off with a 19 year old who's only using her to fuck and for money. Hogan didn't start any of this and that is what the damn courts need to see here. I would invest a good 100k and have her hit by the miami mob and buried in the everglades.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 03:18:47 PM »
I would invest a good 100k and have her hit by the miami mob and buried in the everglades.

Now that's money well spent!

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 12:34:58 AM »
lol i love bobby heenan " there is no place for women in sports"  classic one liners

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 05:38:46 AM »
Hate

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 06:04:19 AM »
lol i love bobby heenan " there is no place for women in sports"  classic one liners
His commentary is legendary. I love in that Savage vs Honky clip how he says, "Let her be home folding his socks and whipping up some breakfest for him".

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 01:40:24 AM »
His commentary is legendary. I love in that Savage vs Honky clip how he says, "Let her be home folding his socks and whipping up some breakfest for him".

i couldnt stop laughing when he said ariba McEntire was tito santanas cousin.  lol

cheftim

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 11:55:44 AM »

Look at how big Hulkster looks next to Warrior and Sid.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 12:43:14 PM »
All three of them are HUGE no doubt.