Author Topic: (19th Sept) Love or Hate?  (Read 8003 times)

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
(19th Sept) Love or Hate?
« on: September 18, 2009, 04:37:26 PM »
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson

Is he quite simply the most charasmatic person to ever step into the ring?  Was he the most internationally recognised wrestler since Hulk Hogan?  Was he the key component in the success of the Attitude Era, delivering some of the best promo's we had ever seen?  And is he someone that is destined for greatness in whatever career he decides to pursue?

OR

Is he someone who never wanted to be a wrestler?  Someone whose football career was cut short, and decided the only way to get somewhere was to use the WWF as a stepping stone to something better?  By distancing himself from wrestling, even dropping his ring name, is he disrespecting the people who made him who he is today?  Does he owe the WWE more than that?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: (19th Sept) Love or Hate?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 08:45:32 PM »
I was never really a fan of his wrestling moves. The peoples elbow especially. Really didn't like that he used the Sharp shooter. It's like seeing someone else use the Million Dollar Dream or the Perfectplex. But the guy seriously cracked me up. His promo's were hilarius! I saw him first row in Miami. He was absolutely huge and the fans totally lost it for him. Especially when he said, "Finally the Rock has come back. Home." My Brother loved him. The Attitude Era would have still went down with or without the Rock. But in my fair opinion. He's a sell out and I'll never watch any of his movies. A wrestling fan has so much love for wrestling Superstars. This guy bailed on us.
x2

Some of the funniest promos ever, but he bailed in favor of movies. Can't blame him, better money, less wear on the body......but he doesn't give props to the fact that if not for WWE he would NEVER have made a single movie.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 08:47:55 PM »
Was never really fan. I was always an Austin guy. He was great on the mic though, although i think he overused a lot of his catch phrases. He was solid in ring and always worked hard to put on a good match. I dont fault Rock Dwayne for doing movies and he hasn't trashed WWE since he left, but doesn't mention it either. The most charasmatic guy ever IMO.

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 10:21:45 PM »
First off never a rock fan, second off yeah he turned his back on the very thing that made him anything other than a washed up college football player. Doesn't bother me though I was glad to see his dumb ass go.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 08:53:58 AM »
As far as the charisma contest goes. The line forms right behind Ric Flair.

I think it's a close one, but for me The Rock is the more charismatic.  He's the same outside of the ring, in his movies, etc.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
For the people who've already replied, would your opinion change if he came back and made an appearance, as RAW guest host for example?

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 09:37:31 AM »
For the people who've already replied, would your opinion change if he came back and made an appearance, as RAW guest host for example?

No. Maybe if he did a two or three month Wrestlemania program with someone then maybe, but just a cheap apperance for one night? Big deal.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 12:41:07 PM »
No. Maybe if he did a two or three month Wrestlemania program with someone then maybe, but just a cheap apperance for one night? Big deal.

I'd love to see him come back and do a run with someone, but I can't see it happening.

No way. I cannot blame the guy for going to Hollywood. If he was so charismatic how come he didn't do the transition more smoothly? He could have went about it a totally different way and still had all the fans loving him. Question here is. Now that his Hollywood career is cooling off. It's eventually going to end completely. Is he gonna come crawling back to the Federation looking for work and a HOF spot?

I think he'll end up in the HOF, but it'll probably be just a quick appearance, like Austin did this year.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 04:03:36 PM »
 ;D

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 05:54:16 PM »
My favorite thing with him actually is the way he sold the stunner. Always looked like he was shot with a bazooka

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 06:11:15 PM »
My favorite thing with him actually is the way he sold the stunner. Always looked like he was shot with a bazooka

Haha, awesome.  I always loved Shane's stunner reaction as well.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 04:30:17 AM »
IMO the Rock was one of the better performers of the attitude era and one of the main charactors that made it "happen" during that time. His legendary fueds with Austin and the beer bath to the throwing the smoking skull title of Austin into the lake were legendary as were his notible fueds with Mankind. His ring promos were probably the best. I liked the Rock.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 08:37:47 AM »
Further evidence that important people within WWE are reading GetBig!!!

...would your opinion change if he came back and made an appearance, as RAW guest host for example?

Source:prowrestling.com

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is confirmed for the upcoming SmackDown! 10th Anniversary show according to F4WOnline.com

A WWE film crew filmed the segment with Rock at his house earlier this week.

I wonder what else we can get them to do...   ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 09:27:08 AM »
Further evidence that important people within WWE are reading GetBig!!!

Source:prowrestling.com

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is confirmed for the upcoming SmackDown! 10th Anniversary show according to F4WOnline.com

A WWE film crew filmed the segment with Rock at his house earlier this week.

I wonder what else we can get them to do...   ;D

Do you remember the last time they advertised an appearance by Rock on their program, and aired a taped segment of him?
The fans shit all over it.
It was the only time I can remember a wrestler being booed out of the arena without actually being in the arena.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the same thing happened this time.

Whether intentional or not, not being at the venue seems to reinforce the idea that Rock turned his back on the fans & industry that made him - at least to the people who already believe that.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 02:05:40 PM »
Do you remember the last time they advertised an appearance by Rock on their program, and aired a taped segment of him?
The fans shit all over it.
It was the only time I can remember a wrestler being booed out of the arena without actually being in the arena.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the same thing happened this time.

Whether intentional or not, not being at the venue seems to reinforce the idea that Rock turned his back on the fans & industry that made him - at least to the people who already believe that.

Was that the one where he was going on about 'Umaga' meaning 'dried monkey penis' or something like that?  It might have been the RAW anniversary edition a while ago now.  I can't see it being much more than a couple of cheesy lines.

"If you smellllllllllllllllll... .. what Dwayne... is cooking!"  Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 06:44:09 PM »
It might have been the RAW anniversary edition a while ago now.

That's exactly when it was!
I think people were expecting to see him live at the arena, and as soon as they announced, "Joining us via satellite..." they booed the piss out of him.

The show was billed as "SPECIAL APPEARANCE BY THE ROCK."
There was never any mention that it would be a pre-recorded bit.
If I had bought a ticket specifically to see Rocky, I'd have been pissed, too.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 08:06:06 PM »
No, doors would not close.
Just like they didn’t close when Austin or Hogan left.

Judging by Rock’s pivotal role in the attitude era, merchandise sales, fan signs, mainstream/crossover popularity, and the fans’ expressed disappointment over his last advertised (taped) appearance…

He may not have been the only reason to buy a ticket, but he was certainly a reason – a BIG reason many folks did.
And I would venture to say that there are those people who bought tickets specifically to see Rock.

When my old indy promotion advertised Mick Foley we did some of our highest attendance numbers, which means we attracted people who bought tickets specifically to see Mick.
We still drew our regular crowd for that show, and we still had a company without Mick at the next show.
But if we made up all those posters & did the radio spots, etc. advertising Cactus Jack, and then during the show wheeled out a TV and played a video of him reading a few lines, we’d have been lynched.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 04:42:28 AM »
Speaking of the Rock...he took that moniker on again. He is now officially known as Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. He will be on Smackdown next week promoting its anniversary.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 04:46:07 AM »
Speaking of the Rock...he took that moniker on again. He is now officially known as Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. He will be on Smackdown next week promoting its anniversary.

Interesting.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 05:10:33 AM »

That is interesting, where did you hear that?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 05:23:39 AM »
He is now officially known as Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

Does that also mean that McMahon will be credited as an "Executive Producer" on all of his future films?

:)

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 07:30:47 AM »
Does that also mean that McMahon will be credited as an "Executive Producer" on all of his future films?

:)
Nope

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 05:33:57 PM »
After seeing the segment that they aired on the Decade of Smackdown special, one thing is certain.  WWE misses The Rock.  No one in the WWE can come close to charisma and personality of the guy.  I really hope he does host Raw in the future.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2009, 05:36:43 PM »
I didn't see it.
What kind of reaction did he get?

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009, 06:05:05 PM »
I didn't see it.
What kind of reaction did he get?

Good reaction, the crowd were really into it.  Very good segment, definitely worth a watch if you get chance.