Author Topic: 2011 WWE Hall of Fame discussion  (Read 19919 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: 2011 WWE Hall of Fame discussion
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 07:37:38 AM »
NO!! THEY DIDN'T!!

Hacksaw Jim Duggan, in the Hall of Fame???...........And people complained about Koko B. Ware, two years ago.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 11:02:53 AM »
Duggan actually had a good career in the mid-south prior to his WWF run.  Koko always sucked ass.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 04:59:34 AM »
Duggan actually had a good career in the mid-south prior to his WWF run.  Koko always sucked ass.

Outside WWE, the only thing memorable about Koko was his being half of a tag-team, whose gimmick was being Michael Jackson wannabes (the PYTs), in Florida Championship Wrestling. They actually came to the ring, using Jackson's song, "PYT"; they had the red "Thriller" jackets and the silver gloves, with Jheri-curl juice, dripping to and from the ring.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 05:19:52 AM »
Outside WWE, the only thing memorable about Koko was his being half of a tag-team, whose gimmick was being Michael Jackson wannabes (the PYTs), in Florida Championship Wrestling. They actually came to the ring, using Jackson's song, "PYT"; they had the red "Thriller" jackets and the silver gloves, with Jheri-curl juice, dripping to and from the ring.

haha, sadly i remember that......him and Norvel Austin.  I remember more of them in the Tenn/Mid-South area, but it was all from reading magazines, I never saw them wrestle during that time.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 07:59:54 AM »
I thought Duggan did quite well in the WWE in 1988-1991.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 09:20:49 AM »
I thought Duggan did quite well in the WWE in 1988-1991.

He was certainly a face of the company during that time.....way over.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 09:41:13 AM »
He was certainly a face of the company during that time.....way over.
I'll never forget the fued he had with Andre. Andre busted him open with several punishing headbutts and then Duggan cracked him one with the 2x4. Crowd went nuts.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 11:28:41 AM »

They should induct Frankie before Koko.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 05:39:36 AM »
They should induct Frankie before Koko.
:-X  ;D

They can't induct Damian the snake because Jake forgot to feed it while touring in Europe and the snake starved to death. Animal rights activists went nuts after this incident and Jake pretty much left England where he was "drying out" and came back to the States.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 05:46:51 AM »
:-X  ;D

They can't induct Damian the snake because Jake forgot to feed it while touring in Europe and the snake starved to death. Animal rights activists went nuts after this incident and Jake pretty much left England where he was "drying out" and came back to the States.

What about Matilda?  That was always my favorite of the animal mascots.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2011, 07:26:55 AM »
What about Matilda?  That was always my favorite of the animal mascots.
Lol....when I was a kid....maybe 10 or 11.....I wrote a letter to, "Get well Matilda" when the islanders "kidnapped" her.....The Bulldogs got her back and claimed, "She was ill and wouldn't eat". Lol....

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2011, 07:28:02 AM »
Lol....when I was a kid....maybe 10 or 11.....I wrote a letter to, "Get well Matilda" when the islanders "kidnapped" her.....The Bulldogs got her back and claimed, "She was ill and wouldn't eat". Lol....

haha, yes the days of being a true mark!  Can't beat that....

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2011, 07:30:29 AM »
haha, yes the days of being a true mark!  Can't beat that....
Question for you Show,

I always wondered though....maybe you know....

Back in late 1987, why the hell did Bam Bam leave the WWE? This is when he was in the middle of a fued with the One Man Gang. He bailed right after his match in the WM4 tournament. Why? Money?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2011, 07:32:18 AM »
Question for you Show,

I always wondered though....maybe you know....

Back in late 1987, why the hell did Bam Bam leave the WWE? This is when he was in the middle of a fued with the One Man Gang. He bailed right after his match in the WM4 tournament. Why? Money?

Honestly, without researching it, I have no idea.  Bam Bam seemed to always be kinda hopping around, so I would guess money or maybe he was just one of those guys who wanted to do his own thing.  He was such a freak athletically, should have had a bigger career.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2011, 07:33:35 AM »
Honestly, without researching it, I have no idea.  Bam Bam seemed to always be kinda hopping around, so I would guess money or maybe he was just one of those guys who wanted to do his own thing.  He was such a freak athletically, should have had a bigger career.
I remember the WWE hyping him to no end, the battle for Bam bam, etc. 5 months later, he's gone and off to Japan. Him and Vader did amazing and cemented their careers in Japan.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2011, 07:36:31 AM »
I remember the WWE hyping him to no end, the battle for Bam bam, etc. 5 months later, he's gone and off to Japan. Him and Vader did amazing and cemented their careers in Japan.

Japan really was a better fit for both of them, monster heels were way over during that time....especially US heels.  Heck, maybe he was smart enough to know that he would eventually get fed to Hogan, jobbed into oblivion and then comeback as a crossing-guard gimmick or something...

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2011, 07:40:16 AM »
Japan really was a better fit for both of them, monster heels were way over during that time....especially US heels.  Heck, maybe he was smart enough to know that he would eventually get fed to Hogan, jobbed into oblivion and then comeback as a crossing-guard gimmick or something...
Lol...a crossing guard.....just like Barry Windam...."The Stalker"...wow....and then they wonder why guys like Sting never wanted anything to do with the WWE or Vince.

I believe Vader & Bam Bam were NJPW tag champs.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2011, 12:32:47 PM »
Lol...a crossing guard.....just like Barry Windam...."The Stalker"...wow....and then they wonder why guys like Sting never wanted anything to do with the WWE or Vince.

I believe Vader & Bam Bam were NJPW tag champs.

Bam Bam went downhill after losing to LT at WrestleMania 11.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2011, 12:54:23 PM »
 ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

WWE is not the only place to wrestle. Bam Bam made tons more money with WCW and Turner and also in Japan where he was pretty much worshipped.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2011, 01:28:59 PM »
Bam Bam went downhill after losing to LT at WrestleMania 11.

Huh?  Much of Bam Bam's best work came after that.... in Japan, ECW, etc... 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2011, 08:56:19 PM »
::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

WWE is not the only place to wrestle. Bam Bam made tons more money with WCW and Turner and also in Japan where he was pretty much worshipped.

Huh?  Much of Bam Bam's best work came after that.... in Japan, ECW, etc...  

WCW...out of business; ECW....bought out by WWE; now, on the shelf indefinitely.

Terry Taylor did his best work outside WWE, too. But, what gimmick has famously/infamously stuck with him TO THIS DAY?

Now that you mentioned it, I just remember that, before his loss to LT at WrestleMania, he was jobbing to Doink the Clown in the early 90s. The "New Generation" era was not kind to old Bammer.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2011, 04:28:16 AM »

WCW...out of business; ECW....bought out by WWE; now, on the shelf indefinitely.

Terry Taylor did his best work outside WWE, too. But, what gimmick has famously/infamously stuck with him TO THIS DAY?

Now that you mentioned it, I just remember that, before his loss to LT at WrestleMania, he was jobbing to Doink the Clown in the early 90s. The "New Generation" era was not kind to old Bammer.

Bam Bam was not in charge of ECW or WCW management.
The financial problems/failures of those companies is not in any way indicative of Bam Bam’s talent as a wrestler.
WCW also had Flair. Is he, too, to blame for WCW going out of business?
Your connection is non-sequitur.

Showstopper & Playboy suggest that Bam Bam’s best work came after he left the Fed, so the fact that he jobbed to the clown before that is a moot point.
Everyone starts somewhere.

As for Terry Taylor, yes - his best work was outside of McMahon-land.
He’s stuck with the gimmick of a giant cock because his exposure in WWF reached the most widespread audience.
It still does not change the fact that his best “work” was outside the Fed, and wrestling historians/observers will always acknowledge this.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2011, 05:15:14 AM »

The financial problems/failures of those companies is not in any way indicative of Bam Bam’s talent as a wrestler.

Showstopper & Playboy suggest that Bam Bam’s best work came after he left the Fed, so the fact that he jobbed to the clown before that is a moot point.

He’s stuck with the gimmick of a giant cock because his exposure in WWF reached the most widespread audience.
It still does not change the fact that his best “work” was outside the Fed, and wrestling historians/observers will always acknowledge this.

All great points and I just thought that maybe Mcway had an oversight stating that "Bam Bam went downhill" when in fact his career AFTER the WWF was far, far better....

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2011, 05:17:14 AM »

That's like saying a guy who spent a few years in the NFL did his best work in Arena Football.

Plus, Bam Bam's start wasn't feuding with Doink the Clown. He was already quite established in the 80s. For example, he was part of Hulk Hogan's team at the first Survivor Series and in the WWF Championship tournament at WrestleMania IV. How do you go from that to getting clowned (literally)?

I never denied that. But, having his best work in wrestling organizations that no longer exists doesn't help the situation, especially when, at the sound of his name, the first thing that comes to mind is....CHICKEN!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2011, 05:29:52 AM »
All great points...

Thanks.

I once had an uncle who would disagree with points everyone else made in a conversation.
It literally did not matter what stance a person or group took on any subject matter; it was as if he was genetically programmed to automatically take the exact opposite side.
He was a good guy and we loved him, but the family was conditioned to half-heartedly roll their eyes & take what he said with a grain of salt.