Author Topic: "Kayfabe Memories," or "Before We Were 'Smart:'"  (Read 25121 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
"Kayfabe Memories," or "Before We Were 'Smart:'"
« on: January 18, 2013, 10:39:34 AM »
I think that a lot of us here have been fans for a good part of our lives - many/most of us since childhood.

Those of us in that category certainly miss "the good old days" of wrestling. A large part of that time was the way we watched the shows - not as we do now, but through youthful, innocent, naive eyes; back when you thought that King Kong Bundy might actually kill Hulk Hogan, and you genuinely feared for your life when Ox Baker would chase after you and other fans in the local armory.

This thread is dedicated to your "Kayfabe memories." Post up your favorite stories from yesteryear, the way you saw them at the time they happened and what you thought of them.

Montague

• Getbig V
Re: "Kayfabe Memories," or "Before We Were 'Smart:'"
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 10:42:03 AM »
I'll start things off...

I was a little kid watching one of the non-WWF shows; this would have been in the early 80's. We didn't get much exposure to anything beyond McMahon-land, so I didn't know most of the characters. I did recognize Terry Funk. He was in the ring choking someone with a plastic shopping bag.
This was pure bad-assery to me then because, as little kids, we're taught to never put bags over our heads. My Mom & Dad had told me that wrestling was make-believe, but I didn't see how you could fake anything like this.

To top it off, my aunt had just delivered my first little cousin a few months earlier. Coincidentally, I remember her making a big fuss that a plastic shopping bag wound up on the floor while we were at her house, and she flipped out over the dangers of it with the baby now crawling around.

All these factors lead to this angle being some edgy shit in my book.
But, I live a very limited life. 8)

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 04:04:37 AM »
Monty, nice thread.

I remember going to my first show, it was an AWA in 86 at my HS. After the shows we waited around to get autographs, pics etc and true to form, the faces hung around chatting with us, pics, autographs (Rick Martel, Scott Hall {poofy hair days} and a few others where the heels basically told us to get lost (PS Hayes, Baron Von Rasche) and high tailed out of their. It didn't dawn on me they were living their persona but rather they were douche bags.

2nd time was was at James L Knight Center in Miami, Dad surprised me with tickets to an NWA show. Needless to say it was a War Games; I believe, there was a barb wire ring match and a few others, Dusty, Flair, Tully, Nikita etc were on the card, let's just say that there was color almost every match. I had only been exposed to TV and never saw Blood before for this. Needless to say I was ecstatic. My Dad kept saying it was fake blood but looking back, they definitely bladed.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 03:15:40 PM »
Thanks, brother!
And, nice story.

I look back with great fondness upon many of the wrestling memories from my childhood. Certain things I can recall in such vivid detail; the mark in me "relives" them, while the "smart" fan can appreciate entirely different aspects today.

Does anyone remember when Rick McGraw died? His last televised match was with Roddy Piper, who very thoroughly kicked his - in a working fashion - all over the inside and outside of the ring. It didn't take long for the Apter magazines to plaster headlines reading, "Did Roddy Piper Kill Rick McGraw?"
Soon, it was all over the wrestling AP that Piper's beating may have lead to McGraw's untimely passing. Of course, I don't recall Vince's own press running the story, but I'm quite certain he didn't mind the publicity one bit.

See, as a kid, I bought into the story hook, line, and sinker. After all, you can't fake DEATH. And, they weren't blaming Roddy, but suggesting the possibility of what may have happened.

Eventually, the story ran its course. I guess the public conveniently never questioned why there was never a criminal case put together to prosecute Piper. I wonder if/how many fans became skeptical when Piper headlined a benefit show for McGraw's family a short time later.

When I think about that whole series of events today, it makes me appreciate the way the business was presented and, to a degree, protected via kayfabe; the way that the line between reality and fiction was so convincingly blurred. Also, knowing now that Roddy and Rick were friends prior to his passing, I see and respect the camaraderie that is maybe not as strong in today's business/society.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 05:12:50 AM »
I told this story once before on here; it concerns the time when my parents smartened me up about wrestling.

I was a little kid when Roddy Piper smashed a coconut across Jimmy Snuka’s head. Really, I was too young to appreciate the “magnitude” of the act. I only knew that Snuka wasn't right in the head, and Piper was a no good prick.

Well, my Dad brought home a real coconut from the grocery store for me to see up close.
He gave me a hammer, a brick – had me banging the thing against a stone wall in our yard.
He wasn’t kayfabing me – just teaching me how fukking hard a coconut actually is – and, presumably, how ridiculous is the idea of someone hitting another person in the head with one without killing them.

*My parents taught me at a very young age the difference between real and make believe. They made sure I knew that things seen in movies (and - gasp - wrestling) are “pretend.”

* If more parents spent more time teaching their kids these types of lessons rather than trying to sue Vince and petitioning companies to cease advertising during wrestling broadcasts, maybe there wouldn’t be so many accidents to blame on wrestling.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:29:12 PM »
watching muraco /snuka cage match and seeing as adult realizing that as impressive a move it was its plain to see muraco sit up to lessen the splash and fall back onto mat to sell it,,,as a kid was cool to see cause it seemed they hated each other,,,backlund/snuka similar scenario this time snauka missed as backlund rolled over but jimmy landed hard i guess knew how to tuck legs last second but it looked like a great miss and baclund lunged out the cage door,another 80's gem sheik/slaughter boot camp match beating each other bloody till sarge whacked him with 'loaded'sheik boot.roddy piper face/bad guy was great had that snarling face look of hate and disdain for opponent or the sarcastic grin he had like 'cmon bring it'he was great at taking falls,hung in rope ,mid air dazed from blows punches and then falling face down,,makes u laugh today realizing flair/adrian adonis every single match thrown into corner and flipping upside down like every opponent could toss your body to corner to create it and u can't stop from 'flip'upside down,,flair did it cool tho land back up then around ringside pole then he get clotheslined every time.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »
sheik/slaughter boot camp match beating each other bloody till sarge whacked him with 'loaded'sheik boot.

Ha-ha...Yes, the dreaded "loaded boot!"
Didn't he stomp his foot as if to "shift the load" to the front in preparation for kicking his opponent?

You also mentioned Adrian. As a kid, I didn't recognize it. But, watching Adonis now, I can say that - at his heaviest - Adonis was a true athlete. The way he moved in the ring was an amazing testament to his skill as a worker.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 06:47:54 PM »

Ha-ha...Yes, the dreaded "loaded boot!"
Didn't he stomp his foot as if to "shift the load" to the front in preparation for kicking his opponent?

You also mentioned Adrian. As a kid, I didn't recognize it. But, watching Adonis now, I can say that - at his heaviest - Adonis was a true athlete. The way he moved in the ring was an amazing testament to his skill as a worker.
the 'adorable'one as gorilla called him was agile ,,,

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 04:53:56 AM »
the 'adorable'one as gorilla called him was agile ,,,

Gorilla was no Gordon Solie, but I liked him better than most other announcers. Some observers liken Jim Ross to Solie, but I consider Monsoon's "delivery" to be closer.

Some of Ross' excitement seemed a little "forced" at times. Vince started out in his Dad's company as an announcer, but used to make me sick when he damn near wore out the word, "UNBELIEVABLE" in the mid-90's. Tony Schiavone wasn't that good, although he seemed somewhat better back in JCP when he was a little more humble. Joey Styles was also good, but had some Jim Ross-type sensationalistic moments.

These are just some observations of face announcers from when I was younger.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 09:26:31 AM »

Gorilla was no Gordon Solie, but I liked him better than most other announcers. Some observers liken Jim Ross to Solie, but I consider Monsoon's "delivery" to be closer.

Some of Ross' excitement seemed a little "forced" at times. Vince started out in his Dad's company as an announcer, but used to make me sick when he damn near wore out the word, "UNBELIEVABLE" in the mid-90's. Tony Schiavone wasn't that good, although he seemed somewhat better back in JCP when he was a little more humble. Joey Styles was also good, but had some Jim Ross-type sensationalistic moments.

These are just some observations of face announcers from when I was younger.
solie was a trip.can't forget bill mercer southwest championship wrestling,,drooled over the von erichs and freebirds drove him nuts.guy from awa forgot name was good too,lord alfred hayes was annoying.vince would do the garden matches and go apeshit..gorilla/heenan were great.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 10:54:45 AM »
gorilla/heenan were great.

They had a special chemistry together. Did you watch the old Prime Time Wrestling shows they hosted?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 11:24:20 AM »

They had a special chemistry together. Did you watch the old Prime Time Wrestling shows they hosted?
OF COURSE HYSTERICAL,GREAT BANTER,HEENAN WOULD GET HAMMERED BY GORILLA THEN LOOK AT GORILLA AND 'SAY UR SERIOUS ABOUT SO AND SO AND THEN FLIP HIS PENCIL IN THE AIR...

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 01:41:04 PM »
I've told this one on here many times, but another round it is....

I remember watching Abdullah the Butcher hack up Wahoo McDaniels with a fork.  Abbie was hired by Roddy Piper to do the job....  they blocked out the blood, which made it only look worse to me.... I was convinced that Wahoo was dead.  My mom assured me otherwise and she was right.  8)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 01:43:09 PM »
I've told this one on here many times, but another round it is....

I remember watching Abdullah the Butcher hack up Wahoo McDaniels with a fork.  Abbie was hired by Roddy Piper to do the job....  they blocked out the blood, which made it only look worse to me.... I was convinced that Wahoo was dead.  My mom assured me otherwise and she was right.  8)

LOL!!
Was that when you ran crying to you Mom that Abdullah killed Wahoo?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 01:48:26 PM »
PAPA SHANGO PUTTING SPELL ON ULTIMATE WARRIOR,PALL BEARER AND UNDERTAKER PUTTING ULTIMATE WARRIOR IS CASKET AND LEAVING HIM AND ALL THE OFFICIALS RENE GOULET LOL HAMMERING THE CASKET OPEN TO FIND SWEATY UNRESPONSIVE WARRIOR ,THEY DID CHEST PUMPS AND FINALLY HE COUGHED BACK TO LIFE,THE TOP OF CAKET SCRATCHED AND CLAWED TO PIECES....OH THE ULTIMATE ONE,,,,ALWAYS LIKED THE OTHER TERRITORIES THAT DID THE FLAME BALL IN THE EYES,,

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 09:52:26 AM »
The first time I heard of a Texas Death Match, I thought it would end with a honest to goodness death.   Yeah, I was 6 at the time. 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 11:26:44 AM »

LOL!!
Was that when you ran crying to you Mom that Abdullah killed Wahoo?

I WASNT"T CRYING !!!!! I was helping her cut up some onions with the topic came up.   ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 11:34:57 AM »
I WASNT"T CRYING !!!!! I was helping her cut up some onions with the topic came up.   ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 12:19:16 PM »

Don't you mean your eyes were sweating? ;D ;D ;D

Who can't forget when Macho Man was caught in the ropes and the snake bit him...gotta love the censored"

When you think about it, lots of great segments with Jake.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 12:56:29 PM »
Don't you mean your eyes were sweating? ;D ;D ;D

Who can't forget when Macho Man was caught in the ropes and the snake bit him...gotta love the censored"

When you think about it, lots of great segments with Jake.

Did you ever catch any of Jake when he was in Florida with Sullivan before the WWF?  It was downright scary stuff in those days.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 09:31:51 AM »
Great topic.  I have 3 off the top of my head that really affected me.

1) After they were tag champions, Flair and Mulligan had a feud.  I loved Flair, but knew in my mind, he couldn't handle Mulligan.  Early in the show, Flair came out wearing Mulligan's hat.  As the show was going off, Mulligan came out wearing Flair's robe.  I was devastated, and just knew he was dead.  My grandmother had to try and convince me he was okay.  Looking back, I know how hard that was for her, because she was a total mark as well.  For the record, she still is.

2) I was 14 or 15 when Race put the bounty on Flair and Slater broke his leg.  I was laying on the couch, and my mom and dad were watching too. Being a tough kid, I was trying to hold back my tears, and not let them know I was crying.  I peaked over my shoulder and my dad was crying too.

3)  When Valentine broke Wahoo's leg and wore the t-shirt around that said as much for weeks.  That is classic!!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 09:56:03 AM »
RAY THE CRIPPLER STEVEN'S PILEDRIVING JIMMY SNUKA ON CONCRETE FLOOR NUMEROUS TIMES,,SNUKA WORE BRACE ,,REVENGE MATCH AGAINST STEVENS WAS BLOODBATH IF I RECALL.
SGT SLAUGHTER WHIPPING BOB BACKLUND REPEATEDLY WITH RIDING CROP AND MARKS ON BACKLUNDS BODY
ULTIMATE WARRIOR UNDERTAKER/PAPA SHANGO ANGLES ,,WARRIOR UNDER SPELL OR BEING BURIED BY TAKER,,

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 10:24:46 AM »

8)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 11:48:10 AM »
CLASSIC ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  8)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 11:58:12 AM »
CLASSIC ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  8)

I've seen them for sale. If I lived about one state closer to yours, I'd probably buy & wear one! ;D

There's a retro culture store up here that sells old-school Macho Man t-shirts - the purple one with a silhouette of Randy's face with his trademark Swatch Shield shades. I'm pretty sure it's a bootleg, but not sure. It's well-made, though.