Author Topic: Which wrestler died way too soon  (Read 43924 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Which wrestler died way too soon
« on: August 10, 2014, 01:00:52 AM »
I know wrestling has had many tragic way too early deaths but who did you really want to see go places that we lost too soon.

For me it was WCW wrestler Louie Spicolli.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Which wrestler died way too soon
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 05:56:55 AM »
I really wanted to see Pillman develop more. Even though, physically, his best days were behind him, I loved where his character was headed.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 07:48:29 AM »
Eddie Guerrero was doing some really intense promos near the end. He really seemed to have found his voice.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 08:50:12 AM »
Eddie Guerrero was doing some really intense promos near the end. He really seemed to have found his voice.

Excellent point!

I don't think we'd seen Eddie's apex. He had tremendous momentum. That one was a real shocker and huge letdown. Indy guys I hadn't spoken with in years were emailing and texting me with the news that spread unbelievably fast.

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 11:26:05 AM »
For me it was Gino Hernandez...
Old school.. but had it all..
Could cut  a promo like no other...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 12:10:32 PM »

Do you remember Rick McGraw?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 12:26:11 PM »

No doubt, Gino was great. He loved that cocaine though. One of those WCCW documentaries talked about how he just couldn't let it go and he knew it.

To the OP it would be David Von Erich.

The heir apparent to Fritz...he just had that business sense which Kerry and Kevin never had. I've heard that Kerry was Fritz's favorite but he had the most faith in David.

Solid on the mic, shot entertaining promos, ring psychology, great size at 6'6.

By December of 1983 he was well on his way to being right up there with the very small group of wrestlers who could rival Ric Flair and very likely would have held the NWA strap in 1984 and be over doing it.

Had he stuck around and went to WCW during the later part of the 80's like some have speculated he had that one heel turn in him and would have made an excellent Outlaw type wrestler in the South during that period.

He never would have fit in WWF but was tailor made for that Southern style of WCW wrestling.

Like some of these other guys...you just wonder what could have been.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 08:03:55 PM »
although he didn't die 'too soon' (he was in his 50s ) I really wanted to see where Warrior's relationship was headed with the WWE given that he was going to be an ambassador to the company, made an appearence on RAW etc etc.

and then 2 days later he dies..WTF :'(
Flower Boy Ran Away

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 06:34:02 AM »
Eddie could make any stupid gimmick given to him work.  And evolve it into an even better version by himself.  (Just like Jericho can).  He was a great loss.

Hate to say it, but Benoit as well was gone too soon.  (shit he did at the end not withstanding).

And while his ring career was over a while before he died Rude had awesome talent that was greatly missed and qualities lacking in today's heels.

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 06:27:54 AM »

Do you remember Rick McGraw?

Name sound familiar..
Was he also WCCW  ???

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 04:21:57 AM »
Wheres Monty chiming in about Perfect ;)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 06:59:13 AM »

Name sound familiar..
Was he also WCCW  ???

He spent a lot of time down south in Florida and the Carolina's. Died sometime in '85 I believe.

He reportedly abused Placidyls hard, and his heart eventually gave out. He is maybe the first wrestling death tied to heavy drug abuse.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 09:13:56 AM »
Wheres Monty chiming in about Perfect ;)

LOL...

I figured that by now everyone knows of my "mark-dom" for Hennig & Billington. That goes without saying.
No reason to beat a dead horse.

I honestly miss guys like
Davey,
Macho,
Dynamite,
Perfect,
Steamboat,
Flair,
etc.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 04:58:25 AM »

He spent a lot of time down south in Florida and the Carolina's. Died sometime in '85 I believe.

He reportedly abused Placidyls hard, and his heart eventually gave out. He is maybe the first wrestling death tied to heavy drug abuse.

There's stories of Quick Draw McGraw passing out face first into his meal after wrestling shows, he was so farked up on those muscle relaxers...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 09:47:38 AM »
There's stories of Quick Draw McGraw passing out face first into his meal after wrestling shows, he was so farked up on those muscle relaxers...

Piper said he was making around $5K per week down Mexico at the time.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 01:03:57 PM »
in terms of age test was only 33.  i heard an interview where he said i'm too young to have gone to this many funerals. little did he know his was coming soon. he reportedly died with his facedown in a half eaten pizza with a 2 lt bottle  of coke next to him.   and the superstar somehow lives on.
F

Country Guy

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 04:16:20 PM »
in terms of age test was only 33.  i heard an interview where he said i'm too young to have gone to this many funerals. little did he know his was coming soon. he reportedly died with his facedown in a half eaten pizza with a 2 lt bottle  of coke next to him.   and the superstar somehow lives on.

I used to be a big fan of Test - especially when he came back & was in ECW for a bit. He didn't make it very long after he retired. I read he had some type of brain injury that wasn't discovered till after he passed.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 05:32:31 PM »
I really wanted to see Pillman develop more. Even though, physically, his best days were behind him, I loved where his character was headed.

There was a story where Pillman was going to pull the swerve of all swerves. He was "Supposedly" to be fired by WCW, was going to get hired by WWE, basically stay on both payrolls supplying intel to WCW  and when his WWE run was over, he was going to go back to WCW.

But he died so will never know if this plan was in action or he really was let go from WCW and went to work for WWE legitimately.

Country Guy

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 09:46:11 PM »
There was a story where Pillman was going to pull the swerve of all swerves. He was "Supposedly" to be fired by WCW, was going to get hired by WWE, basically stay on both payrolls supplying intel to WCW  and when his WWE run was over, he was going to go back to WCW.

But he died so will never know if this plan was in action or he really was let go from WCW and went to work for WWE legitimately.

I wonder how many times both companies attempted this during the great ratings wars?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 06:57:33 AM »

I wouldn't put it past them. Although, the story I'd heard was that Pillman was supposed to go to ECW - which he did - to further develop his "Loose Cannon" gimmick, and then return to WCW hotter. It's just that Vince grabbed him from ECW first.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 06:05:47 AM »
Monty - you could be right.

Once he messed up his foot it was all downhill.

Also how about David & Kerry Von Erich dying too soon

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 04:37:21 PM »
Monty - you could be right.

Once he messed up his foot it was all downhill.

Also how about David & Kerry Von Erich dying too soon

The difference between David's death and Kerry's is that David was around 25 years old with his stock arrow shooting straight up when he died.

And that's always some of the biggest tragedies. Young unfilled potential. Music, film, wrestling, etc etc

Not to discount Kerry's death at all. He always had that "it" factor. His look and natural charisma always got a big time pop from the crowd regardless of where he was wrestling.

But as a wrestler, athletically speaking, Kerry of 1992 was no where close to Kerry of 1985 pre motorcycle wreck.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 02:07:49 PM »
The difference between David's death and Kerry's is that David was around 25 years old with his stock arrow shooting straight up when he died.

And that's always some of the biggest tragedies. Young unfilled potential. Music, film, wrestling, etc etc

Not to discount Kerry's death at all. He always had that "it" factor. His look and natural charisma always got a big time pop from the crowd regardless of where he was wrestling.

But as a wrestler, athletically speaking, Kerry of 1992 was no where close to Kerry of 1985 pre motorcycle wreck.

Agree about Kerry he had the whole package. Can imagine how big of a star Kerry would have been if he didn't fuck up his leg and die of course.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 12:21:30 AM »
Way too many to honestly mention.

avesher

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Oh Potato, Sleepy Time
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 08:50:24 PM »