Author Topic: How do they determine who draws money  (Read 1786 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
How do they determine who draws money
« on: October 17, 2015, 12:40:29 AM »
In wrestling they always talk about how much a guy can draw. How is this figured?  I mean there are several matches on a card so how do they determine who drew the most fans?

Can someone explain this to me?

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
Re: How do they determine who draws money
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 09:25:26 AM »
Don't know if there is a formula..
What I do know is on house shows / ppv.. you get percentage of the gate based on where you are in the card.. with the main event getting the most $$
I know DVD and merchandising is a big factor..
Look at cena.. he sucks with the same 5 moves..
But he is considered the highest draw in merchandising..
Damn kids... they buy all his merchandise..
I watch wrestling with my 4 year old son..
Guess what he wanted?
A damn Cena shirt..

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 10:07:44 AM »
My guess is that they use some form of "Comp Sales." By comparing tickets sold, this year to last, and seeing who main evented, they can get an idea of who is putting asses in the seats.

With Cena on hiatus, the WWE, should get a pretty good idea of where they'll be post Cena, if no one steps up, and, as it stands, now, no full timer is doing so.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 10:35:37 AM »
Do they also use the Nielsen ratings for this?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 11:41:59 AM »
In wrestling they always talk about how much a guy can draw. How is this figured?  I mean there are several matches on a card so how do they determine who drew the most fans?

Excellent question.

It is a very debatable answer, at best.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 11:57:17 AM »

Excellent question.

It is a very debatable answer, at best.

Now, more than ever, as the biggest company is a "Brand" which sells tickets on the basis of its name. It's hard to tell what an individual wrestler contributes.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 12:41:34 PM »
Now, more than ever, as the biggest company is a "Brand" which sells tickets on the basis of its name. It's hard to tell what an individual wrestler contributes.

That was a tactic Vince Jr. employed shortly after buying the WWWF from his Dad.
He changed the signs on all the marquees to read "WWF" instead of the headliners' names. That made it appear as though the company was headlining, rather than the individual wrestlers.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »
Yes alo of it is based on "merch" sales. I remember listening to a Cornette podcast where he said Stone Cold and Rock sold 14K shirts one night at a PPV which I found hard to believe, sat a 30K arena....1 out of every 2 people bought a $25 shirt??

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 04:45:59 PM »
Yes alo of it is based on "merch" sales. I remember listening to a Cornette podcast where he said Stone Cold and Rock sold 14K shirts one night at a PPV which I found hard to believe, sat a 30K arena....1 out of every 2 people bought a $25 shirt??

Yep.
Shortly after Flair returned around 2000, he was talking with one of the merchandise guys who told him that they sold about 14,000 Austin T's and 12,000 Rock T's that night. Not only that, but they pretty much sold that many at every Raw and Smackdown.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 08:26:03 AM »

Usually the guy that draws is the guy that the fans really want to see and will pay top dollar. It is usually the biggest star in the organization but as Monte said, there are a lot of factors that contribute such as who that top star is facing, the current storyline, etc.