Author Topic: How does this happen?  (Read 7809 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
How does this happen?
« on: August 22, 2007, 09:30:18 PM »
http://video.msn.com/v/us/fv/fv.htm??g=24f1a344-62b6-4be9-b253-2a27418fee84&t=m10&f=06/64&p=&fg&gt1=10252

http://www.komotv.com/news/local/9295026.html

GIG HARBOR, Wash. -- A 59-year-old woman has been hospitalized after being mauled by two pit bulls who came into her house Tuesday morning.

Pierce County Sheriff spokesman Ed Troyer said the two dogs came through a door that was left slightly open and attacked the woman while she was in bed at about 9 a.m. The dogs did not belong to her.

When medics arrived at the home in the 10600 block of 132nd Street Court Northwest they found the woman had crawled into her car to escape from the dogs.

The woman, identified by neighbors as Sue Gorman, tried to shoot the dogs before running to her car where she called 911. She was taken to St. Joseph Hospital in Tacoma where she was listed in satisfactory condition.

"She was injured fairly severely," Troyer said. "She'll be in the hospital for some time. She took some severe bites throughout different portions of her body." Firefighters locked the dogs in the house until animal control officers arrived, and a trail of blood was visible throughout the house.

Deputies had to use pepper spray to subdue the dogs and load them into an animal control vehicle. "We almost had to shoot them on site," Troyer said.

The dogs were taken to the Humane Society for Tacoma and Pierce County, and will probably be destroyed, he said.

Troyer said the pit bulls also killed a Jack Russell terrier belonging to a neighbor during the attack.

Zack Martin said he owns one of the pit bulls, a 2-year-old female named Betty, and was taking care of the other, a male named Tank, while his owner was out of town. Martin said he had Tank chained up in his backyard because of a past incident in which the two dogs got out and caused trouble together, but he allowed Betty to run loose in the fenced backyard. On Tuesday, he found the chain broken and both dogs gone.

"We never saw it coming," he said. "They're the kinds of dogs you'd let play with your babies."

Pierce County Animal Control Officer Brian Boman said animal control officers have had past run-ins with the pit bulls, but couldn't say exactly how many.

Gorman's service dog was in the house at the time of the attack but was not injured.
:

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: How does this happen?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 07:24:59 AM »
Martin said he had Tank chained up in his backyard because of a past incident in which the two dogs got out and caused trouble together,

I wonder what the past trouble was exactly?   

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 10:10:01 AM »
http://americanpitdog.com/index.html

How/ Why,  Princess?
Hope this helps.... It happens and will continue to increase in proportion to the numbers of these animals owned by people who have no clue as to the Deeply inbred genetic make up of this particular K9 and its extraordinary attributes, Many of them good.

You cant remove the innate pointing or retrieving instints from several breeds anymore so than you can remove many traits from "Pit Dog breeds".

"He chewed thru a ROPE"   ::)  Duh!

Deep in their DNA is the fact that they would not be Alive had their predecessors not only vanquished opponents in the pit  but also refused to surrender. THAT trait was as highly prized as outright destructive ability with teeth and jaws.

The fact is they fought alongside and FOR their owners.

THese aint yur Run of The Mill Dogge.

Perhaps a look at some old photos would be helpfull in understanding the genetic make up of the breed.
It is in each and every one of them.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »

How/ Why,  Princess?
Hope this helps.... It happens and will continue to increase in proportion to the numbers of these animals owned by people who have no clue as to the Deeply inbred genetic make up of this particular K9 and its extraordinary attributes, Many of them good.

You cant remove the innate pointing or retrieving instints from several breeds anymore so than you can remove many traits from "Pit Dog breeds".

Deep in their DNA is the fact that they would not be Alive had their predecessors not only vanquished opponents in the pit  but also refused to surrender. THAT trait was as highly prized as outright destructive ability with teeth and jaws.

Perhaps a look at some old photos would be helpfull in understanding the genetic make up of the breed.

Your views on this breed are so skewed..... 

so why did these dogs leave the service dog alone?  Why did the viscious killers only attack the human?  Why did they let her get to her car?  Why did they charge into a closed house? Why didnt' they attack each other?  Pits don't attack as pack animals, even you have said that.  This was a pack attack. 

The entire story is very fishy as far as I'm concerned.   There are parts that just don't make sense. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »
why was my initial reply to this thread deleted? 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 11:35:16 AM »
why was my initial reply to this thread deleted? 

not by me   ???

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 11:38:43 AM »
not by me   ???

Its ok, it may have been me.  I essentially typed that I didn't think this story made sense, there are parts that just don't add up and soemone burst into my office all excited.  I shut the window on the computer pretty quickly.  I thought I'd hit the send key, but it may have been my mistake.   

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 11:40:43 AM »
Vet I agree w/ the pack thing, although here and there guys can train them to pack hunt.
Takes extra work.

I dont dislike the breed. But most of the owners dont know what they have, and dont control/ contain the animal securely.

They did kill the Russel terrier was the story. But, Media mess up lots for sure.

But, if these animals are not unusual WHY so many in problems?

Personally, I feel they'd been better off if they stayed in the hands of Dr Swinfords clients and the other old timers who fought them.
And I dont think they fought them to death that often.

How well trained are most your customers dogs? Not very is my experience w/ most dog owners.
A pitt for a pet without lots of other K9 & animal experience is a mistake IMO, and thats exactly what most of the owners are.

Just wait, there will be some extraordinary News Video event that will usher in Nation Wide Bite Insh.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 09:17:28 PM »
Okay.
Here's my question.  Let's put EVERYTHING aside (the breed, the owner, lack of training, past trouble...EVERYTHING).    What causes a canine(s) (domestic or wild) to enter an occupied dwelling and attack a sleeping adult human being ??? 
:

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 05:31:43 AM »
Okay.
Here's my question.  Let's put EVERYTHING aside (the breed, the owner, lack of training, past trouble...EVERYTHING).    What causes a canine(s) (domestic or wild) to enter an occupied dwelling and attack a sleeping adult human being ??? 

Very good question. What "Triggered them" would be the better way to put it...
A combination of their various innate drives. We are not Dogs, we cant fully understand.

What we do know is it happend. There is no undoing it. And these incidents are happening a lot.
Theres too many of  these animals, and they are a problem. Most of the owners have little dog experience.

If they are so wonderfull, why so many problems?
Also note - These incidents are all by people who owned them as PETS - Not Dog Fighters! THey chain THEIR Dogs!
Who you think knows more about these animals?

THese dogs CANT run free. They have a high probability of fighting another dog.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 09:45:35 AM »
A combination of their various innate drives. We are not Dogs, we cant fully understand.

What we do know is it happend. There is no undoing it. And these incidents are happening a lot.
Theres too many of  these animals, and they are a problem. Most of the owners have little dog experience.

Also note - These incidents are all by people who owned them as PETS - Not Dog Fighters! THey chain THEIR Dogs!

Which they didn't do. They attacked the human.    According to this article there was a service dog present who was uninjured.   

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 09:56:26 AM »

Trab it sounds like you are being a complete smart ass here when you are expressing your opinion. I have owned pits for quite some time now. I have two boys right now. One is 100% Staffordshire and the other 100% APBT. I allow my dogs to run free in my backyard.

I know some will shame me but my boys come outside, out front with no leash... All the neighbor kids run up and give them hugs and kisses. But they have never stepped out of the yard...

You say if they are such good dogs why all the problems... It's because one, if anything happens involving a pit you hear about it. Second you don't hear about dog bites. Plain and simple they are not reported on a national level. I hate when people try to resort back to what pits where used for back in the day. The breeding is not directed at that anymore.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 10:20:46 AM »
Trab is an example of not blaming the breed....but the owner

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 10:25:45 AM »

How/ Why,  Princess?

blah . . . blah . . . blah . . .  these dogs were bred and genetically made up to go after sleeping sickly women. ::) Mitt Romney for president!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 10:36:21 AM »
Trab it sounds like you are being a complete smart ass here when you are expressing your opinion. I have owned pits for quite some time now. I have two boys right now. One is 100% Staffordshire and the other 100% APBT. I allow my dogs to run free in my backyard.

I know some will shame me but my boys come outside, out front with no leash... All the neighbor kids run up and give them hugs and kisses. But they have never stepped out of the yard...

You say if they are such good dogs why all the problems... It's because one, if anything happens involving a pit you hear about it. Second you don't hear about dog bites. Plain and simple they are not reported on a national level. I hate when people try to resort back to what pits where used for back in the day. The breeding is not directed at that anymore.

VET - Watch the News Video. I saw it on another channel. The pitts killed a little boys Rustle Terrier "that ran in the house and saved the person..."  OK, there might be more to understanding the Trigger that caused a attack reaction.. You better versed to guess than me...

Sin CitY - YOU are a accident waiting to happen in all probability. EVERY Pitt Dogge (BTY, TO My friend Dumbass, thats the Olde English spelling for The Band Dogges) accident has this in common "He NEVER  acted like that before".  Of course not, theyd of lost the animal! This only gets to happens ONCE to a Dog!

You Like that dog and want to keep it? Keep it inside, Chain it on your property where its out of the way of strangers, Keep it behind a SECURE fence. Regular chain link wont do, You MUST watch them if thats your fence. Keep a collar on the Animal and a leash in hand.

Do You know what your dog means compared to a human mauled? NOTHING! 

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 10:38:54 AM »
Trab is an example of not blaming the breed....but the owner

Thats as stupid as blaming a Lab for retrieving Ducks.

Certian Breeds do certian things extra special, Like Pull Milk Carts or FIGHT!

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »
 ::)

I'm going to get me a sleeping-woman terrier as my next dog.  ::)

just stick to milking cows or whatever it is you do, trab.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 11:02:42 AM »
Thats as stupid as blaming a Lab for retrieving Ducks.

Certian Breeds do certian things extra special, Like Pull Milk Carts or FIGHT!

or just bark

::)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 11:04:38 AM »

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 11:31:31 AM »

or yap    ::)

Or act like a complete dumbass who has no idea what the F*CK he is talking about. See you contradict yourself there Mr. Intelligent. I am not a new person when it comes to raising pit bulls. I actually have owned them for around 6 or 7 years now I believe and like I said I have NEVER HAD AN INNCIDENT!!!!!!!! My dogs are babies. They don't get chained up, they sleep with me, for Christ sakes they have a custom built dog house with hard wood floors and carpet...

Here's the fact that needs to be stated. Ignorant people with access to a keyboard can cause a lot of harm... Hence why we should chain you up and keep you behind a fence, of course chain link won't work... Now get back outside you ignoramus...

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 01:36:58 PM »
Or act like a complete dumbass who has no idea what the F*CK he is talking about. See you contradict yourself there Mr. Intelligent. I am not a new person when it comes to raising pit bulls. I actually have owned them for around 6 or 7 years now I believe and like I said I have NEVER HAD AN INNCIDENT!!!!!!!! My dogs are babies. They don't get chained up, they sleep with me, for Christ sakes they have a custom built dog house with hard wood floors and carpet...

Here's the fact that needs to be stated. Ignorant people with access to a keyboard can cause a lot of harm... Hence why we should chain you up and keep you behind a fence, of course chain link won't work... Now get back outside you ignoramus...

I got more years in with the fighting breeds than you ;)

THEY ARE NOT "BABIES" - THEY ARE DOGS.

They DO NOT have complex reasoning ability like (SOME ;D)  Humans do.
THey do not have complex emotions/ "Feelings" that idiots ascribe to them. They are animals with deeply inbred (and Linebred in this case) instincts that REACT  to stimulus you can not even sense or understand.

Your a trainwreck ;)  YOU Don't have a clue, or experience how to get one off another animal or, God forbid a person.

Tip - Shop Lowes or Home Depot ... 1. Heavy Chain  2. Keyed heavy Master Lock.
Oh Forget it - You prolly don't have much net worth to sue for anyway.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 01:47:38 PM »
I got more years in with the fighting breeds than you ;)

THEY ARE NOT "BABIES" - THEY ARE DOGS.

They DO NOT have complex reasoning ability like (SOME ;D)  Humans do.
THey do not have complex emotions/ "Feelings" that idiots ascribe to them. They are animals with deeply inbred (and Linebred in this case) instincts that REACT  to stimulus you can not even sense or understand.

Your a trainwreck ;)  YOU Don't have a clue, or experience how to get one off another animal or, God forbid a person.

Tip - Shop Lowes or Home Depot ... 1. Heavy Chain  2. Keyed heavy Master Lock.
Oh Forget it - You prolly don't have much net worth to sue for anyway.
Trab, you are showing your ass.....

dogs (AS A SPECIES) have been proven to have both complex reasoning ability and complex emotions---this is best identified with service dogs--be it police (more physical, but also reasoning), seeing eye (perhaps the most complex reasoning abilities) or hearing ear (also very complex) or search and rescue.  Pitbulls are police dogs, there are  several search and rescue dogs, and I know of one hearing ear dog.   I'll admit I dont' know about pitbulls as seeing eye dogs, but its worth looking into. 

You are hellbent for leather to hang onto the stubborn idea that you are right about these dogs being mindless killers..... yet there is person after person on this very board posting about their great family pet--which is a pitbull.   hell, my wife is at home asleep with two of them in bed with her right now.  They aren't mauling her or chewing her legs off.  The worst thing is the puppy may have a case of bad puppy farts. 

I don't disagree with you in saying that owners must be responsible for their dogs (and that there are pitbull owners who are very irresponsible) but this goes for all dog breeds, not just pitbulls.  What you are doing is showing your own deep rooted hatred and prejudice.  It makes me wonder what you've done or had done involving a pitbull to feel this way, because it sure seems to go deep. 

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 02:15:32 PM »
Trab, you are showing your ass.....

dogs (AS A SPECIES) have been proven to have both complex reasoning ability and complex emotions---this is best identified with service dogs--be it police (more physical, but also reasoning), seeing eye (perhaps the most complex reasoning abilities) or hearing ear (also very complex) or search and rescue.  Pitbulls are police dogs, there are  several search and rescue dogs, and I know of one hearing ear dog.   I'll admit I dont' know about pitbulls as seeing eye dogs, but its worth looking into. 

You are hellbent for leather to hang onto the stubborn idea that you are right about these dogs being mindless killers..... yet there is person after person on this very board posting about their great family pet--which is a pitbull.   hell, my wife is at home asleep with two of them in bed with her right now.  They aren't mauling her or chewing her legs off.  The worst thing is the puppy may have a case of bad puppy farts. 

I don't disagree with you in saying that owners must be responsible for their dogs (and that there are pitbull owners who are very irresponsible) but this goes for all dog breeds, not just pitbulls.  What you are doing is showing your own deep rooted hatred and prejudice.  It makes me wonder what you've done or had done involving a pitbull to feel this way, because it sure seems to go deep. 

You keep putting words in my mouth, insulting and name calling. I dont recall doing any to you, if I did I apologise.

These animals are a massive Problem. Denying that is like Vick denying involvement in dogfighting.
Do you have room for about 3000 more of them  a year at your place? I hope so.

I spent thousands on my Staff and Pitt. Im sure I spent on frivolous vet care when most would have put the animal down long ago.... They were extremely well teated.

But, 99% of the Guys w/ one - Never had another dog even. They live in a big city. They dont control the animal. They have zero experience with animals.... The list goes on and on. Thats the issue with maulings. People who dont control their animal. There is no excuse.

PLEASE NOTE - The last attack and previous RAPE of a Child by a Pitt Bull were NOT BY DOG FIGHTERS DOGS!
They were those.. "Oh, he NEVER did anything like that before".  People.

You go and try and say pitts are no harder biters all you want. People have eyes.
Hospitals and Courts and Insurance companies have records. Facts is Facts. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 02:16:32 PM »
trab is an idiot....

so instead of reasoning with him & trying to change his mind....we should treat him like he would to his own dogs & take it out back...tie a heavy chain to him....& shoot him.

....since he's incapable of having a civilized or an intelligent conversation.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 02:18:52 PM »
trab is an idiot....

so instead of reasoning with him & trying to change his mind....we should treat him like he would to his own dogs & take it out back...tie a heavy chain to him....& shoot him.

....since he's incapable of having a civilized or an intelligent conversation.

dayummn . . . that's harsh.