Author Topic: Lupus? - Addie  (Read 8766 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: Lupus? - Addie
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 04:02:16 AM »

The last of the skin sloughed off.  Yes, I picked part of it off the carpet! :-X

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 04:24:29 AM »
Reference pics - want to see how much the scar eventually shrinks.   :-\     I don;t care if she has a scar as long as the scar isn't bothering her because it is "tight" or something. She already has one on the top of a back foot, and a few on her head from Bri, so what's another one.  They just give her more character than she already has.  But she can stop adding character anytime now.   :(

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 04:37:22 AM »
Reference pics - want to see how much the scar eventually shrinks.   :-\     I don;t care if she has a scar as long as the scar isn't bothering her because it is "tight" or something. She already has one on the top of a back foot, and a few on her head from Bri, so what's another one.  They just give her more character than she already has.  But she can stop adding character anytime now.   :(

OMG poor addie!   :(

:)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 04:11:56 PM »
Addie did good. Is happy to be home and was STARVING.  He had to remove a lot of tissue to get rid of the dying stuff and get healthy tissue that will hopefully start to heal.  She goes back Saturday and the tube will probably go out, then we go back Wed. for another check to make sure it's not histanizing (?) should of wrote that one down.  Then back in two weeks to get the sutures out.  He said he noticed another "patch" on her belly that he didn't see before that he thinks is going to be like the one on her side.  I haven't taken a look to see if it is one of the smaller ones she has had getting bigger, or if it is a new one.  She has some pain meds, Tramadol (Ultram for humans) so she should be more comfortable.  She has managed to get on the couch although I could see her hesitate getting that leg up.  I have a comforter on the floor, but she prefers the couch.    And everyone including Tad recognized her!!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 08:17:43 AM »
Oh man  :'(

Have someone build a ramp for her so it's easier for her to get on the couch  :'(

Or cut the couch in half horizontally so it's not so high   :'(

Or just carry her around.  You can do it you're strong  :'(

:'(

R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2007, 12:50:16 PM »
Oh man  :'(

Have someone build a ramp for her so it's easier for her to get on the couch  :'(

Or cut the couch in half horizontally so it's not so high   :'(

Or just carry her around.  You can do it you're strong  :'(

All EXCELLENT suggestions STella!!    ;D     She seemed to be in less pain this morning and her pain pill had probably worn off.  She got another dose before I left for work. 

I cringe when she sits or lays down and that knee is bending though!   :-X 

There didn't seem to have been much "drainage", I found a few blood spots which is to be expected but nothing that seemed to be a concern.

I wonder if they just pull the tube out?  Wouldn't that hurt?   :-\  Will she get a numbing agent at the site?  I think I would be pretty ticked and bite someone!

ps- see my walls?   :D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2007, 02:30:39 PM »

I wonder if they just pull the tube out?  Wouldn't that hurt?   :-\  Will she get a numbing agent at the site?  I think I would be pretty ticked and bite someone!

Yeah, I don't know.  When does the tube come out?

ps- see my walls?   :D

Thanks for making me scroll back up through the open sore pics  >:(

..but yes!  Your walls look good! :)

R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2007, 08:12:47 PM »
The tube should come out Saturday, so far the wound looks good and Addie is doing good.   *paws crossed*

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2007, 08:31:25 PM »

Dear God!!!! Someone needs to take that dog to Hawaii for a month . . .

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2007, 10:23:45 AM »
Dear God!!!! Someone needs to take that dog to Hawaii for a month . . .
I'll take her  :)
R

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »
All EXCELLENT suggestions STella!!    ;D     She seemed to be in less pain this morning and her pain pill had probably worn off.  She got another dose before I left for work. 

I cringe when she sits or lays down and that knee is bending though!   :-X 

There didn't seem to have been much "drainage", I found a few blood spots which is to be expected but nothing that seemed to be a concern.

ps- see my walls?   :D

Yeah, they'll just remove the sutures and "pull the tube".   its the same basic thing thats done in humans if you've ever had a drain post surgery.  When I had the drain removed from my chest, it was a weird, weird feeling, I'll tell you that.  I think dogs feel about the same.  I will say though, I have sedated a couple of dogs who acted like removing the tube was really painful or they were aggressive.     

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2007, 11:33:57 AM »
Yeah, they'll just remove the sutures and "pull the tube".   its the same basic thing thats done in humans if you've ever had a drain post surgery.  When I had the drain removed from my chest, it was a weird, weird feeling, I'll tell you that.  I think dogs feel about the same.  I will say though, I have sedated a couple of dogs who acted like removing the tube was really painful or they were aggressive.     

But the sutures aren't being removed?  The tube will hopefully be coming out tomorrow, the sutures have another 10 days to stay in.
  :P

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2007, 11:57:49 AM »
I'll take her  :)

I have to chaperon!   ;)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2007, 12:05:58 PM »

But the sutures aren't being removed?  The tube will hopefully be coming out tomorrow, the sutures have another 10 days to stay in.
  :P

There should be 2-4 sutures anchoring the tube in place---typically one to two on each end of the tube, although depending on teh closure, there may be one in the center too.   Those sutures will need to be removed, leaving an open tract under the skin where the tube was.  That will fill in over the next 48 hours or so.   The skin sutures will stay in until the skin is healed sufficiently to withstand tension--typically 10 to 14 days. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2007, 12:20:46 PM »
There should be 2-4 sutures anchoring the tube in place---typically one to two on each end of the tube, although depending on teh closure, there may be one in the center too.   Those sutures will need to be removed, leaving an open tract under the skin where the tube was.  That will fill in over the next 48 hours or so.   The skin sutures will stay in until the skin is healed sufficiently to withstand tension--typically 10 to 14 days. 

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I was thinking the suture sutures.  Thanks.   :)

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2007, 01:30:48 PM »
I did'nt realize addie was that serious (I don't read this board much) but glad she's home and doing better...

Bear had a drain tube for her eye when it was taken out too

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2007, 04:55:30 PM »
I did'nt realize addie was that serious (I don't read this board much) but glad she's home and doing better...

Bear had a drain tube for her eye when it was taken out too

:(

Hopefully she will get a good checkup tomorrow and things are healing fine. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2007, 03:47:30 PM »

The drain tube came out piece of cake.  I was surprised, she didn't even notice.
   :D

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2007, 04:36:23 PM »

The drain tube came out piece of cake.  I was surprised, she didn't even notice.
   :D

Did you have an ANA test run?  What were the results?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2007, 04:53:21 PM »
Did you have an ANA test run?  What were the results?

No we haven't done that yet.  He wants her to heal first and not have the test skewed because of the current issues.  He almost was going to send tissue out from her leg to the pathologist but he thought that could return a false positive.

I think he mentioned another test but I can't remember the name of it.

What begins with an "h" that could happen after surgery, sound kind of like histanin....hesanine.... . That is why the recheck again on Weds.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2007, 05:05:10 PM »

No we haven't done that yet.  He wants her to heal first and not have the test skewed because of the current issues.  He almost was going to send tissue out from her leg to the pathologist but he thought that could return a false positive.

I think he mentioned another test but I can't remember the name of it.

What begins with an "h" that could happen after surgery, sound kind of like histanin....hesanine.... . That is why the recheck again on Weds.

Starts with an H?  hmmmmm.   

The diagnostic criteria for SLE (Systemic Lupus Erythmatosis) are:

Major Signs:
       -Polyarthritis
       -Protein-losing nephropathy
       -Hemolytic anemia
       -Marked thrombocytopenia
       -Leukopenia
       -Skin lesions
       -Polymyositis

Minor signs:
        -Fever
        -Lymphadenopathy
        -Oral ulceration
        -Central nervous system signs, such as seizure
        -Pericarditis
        -Pleuritis

Serology:
       -Antinuclear antibody (ANA)
       -Lupus erythematosus (LE) cell preparation

Definite SLE, 2 or more major signs with positive serology; 1 major sign and 2 or more minor signs with positive serology.

Whats interesting to me about Addie and my life now is that I may have consulted with the first case of SLE identified in a Maned Wolf not too long ago.  We are waiting for final diagnostics to come back and confirm things.  Unfortunately the wolf didn't make it.   :-\  :'(

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2007, 05:08:30 PM »

what's a maned wolf look like?

one of those ginormous things you see loafing on golf courses in alaska?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2007, 05:15:16 PM »
what's a maned wolf look like?

one of those ginormous things you see loafing on golf courses in alaska?

No, these are a south american species.... basically they look like a long legged red fox.  Typical adult size is about 50-60 lbs. 

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2007, 05:18:11 PM »
No, these are a south american species.... basically they look like a long legged red fox.  Typical adult size is about 50-60 lbs. 

dear jesus, that is a weird looking fox/dog/wolf.  are foxes making a comeback? couple years ago I was sitting outside a coffee shop in ann arbor when a fox streaked through the parking lot. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2007, 05:26:56 PM »
dear jesus, that is a weird looking fox/dog/wolf.  are foxes making a comeback? couple years ago I was sitting outside a coffee shop in ann arbor when a fox streaked through the parking lot. 

My understanding is it depends on what part of the US you are in.  They haven't adapted to urbanization as well as coyotes have, but they do seem to be adapting.  Reds apparently are doing better than greys too.