Author Topic: Religious People Much Happier Than Others, New Study Shows  (Read 24307 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Religious People Much Happier Than Others, New Study Shows
« on: December 30, 2014, 02:27:15 PM »
Do you agree?  Disagree?

RELIGIOUS PEOPLE MUCH HAPPIER THAN OTHERS, NEW STUDY SHOWS
by THOMAS D. WILLIAMS, PH.D.
24 Dec 2014

A strong correlation exists between religiosity and personal happiness, according to a new study by the Austin Institute for the Study of Family and Culture.

The study found that people who attend religious services on a weekly basis are nearly twice as likely to describe themselves as “very happy” (45%) than people who never attend (28%). Conversely, those who never worship are twice as likely to say they are “very unhappy” (4%) as those who attend services weekly (2%).

Building on prior research, this broad survey of American adults comprised a representative sample of 15,738 Americans between the ages of 18 and 60.

The study indicated that not only religious service attendance, but self-reported “religiosity” and religious “affiliation” are also linked with happiness levels. Yet of the three indicators, service attendance has the highest correlation to increased happiness. The study showed that higher levels of church attendance “predict higher life satisfaction,” even after accounting for how important religious faith is in people’s lives.

The correlation between religiosity and happiness is clear, but explanations of the connection and possible causal relationship are less clear. One theory suggests that the social support that religious communities can provide may be a key factor contributing to increased happiness, since “religious Americans are more apt to be involved in their communities.” Yet even here, the study found “that those who attend religious services often are happier than their peers with similar levels of involvement in the community.”

These statistics tying happiness to religiosity have held true over time. A similar survey conducted ten years ago generated similar results, leading to the same conclusions. When the General Social Survey asked a sample of Americans in 2004, “Would you say that you are very happy, pretty happy, or not too happy?” religious people were more than twice as likely as the non-religious to say they were “very happy” (43%-21%). The secular people, or those who never attend worship services, were overwhelmingly more likely to say they were not too happy (21%-8%).

One could almost predict that many of those celebrating Christmas will be merry, those observing Hanukkah will be happy, but those only recognizing the “holidays” will have a little less cause for rejoicing.

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2014/12/24/religious-people-much-happier-than-others-new-study-shows/

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: Religious People Much Happier Than Others, New Study Shows
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 07:26:35 PM »
I agree. Personal experience, they know less about theology than the average college graduate, but they do have faith and hope. Totally get why that could make someone's life happier. In their case, ignorance is bliss?

No disrespect intended.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 06:25:24 AM »
I can speak from personal experience as I've stood on both sides of fence (religious and virtually non-religious) and being a man of faith has made me a far more joyful person.

Attending church regularly is a time of fellowship with believers and worship for the one we claim as savior. 

I think most regular church attendees don't spend much more time exploring their faith outside Sunday church attendance, but some do (I would classify myself as one that extends his faith beyond just church fellowship) and they draw enormous happiness from engaging that faith both in fellowship with believers and in learning more about the God they represent.  I draw tremendous joy from giving to others, but doing so privately as my only audience is the God I serve.  I enjoy studying theology and discussing it with others...even engaging in mild debate/discussion.  These experiences mature my faith, increase my knowledge and give me more opportunities to experience the wonderful presence of Jesus Christ.

I won't say that nonbelievers are unhappy people, but I will say that a vast majority of believers are happy.

It's amazing when you watch the Lord work within your life.  When you remain faithful and patient allowing his good will to unfold before you.  Your faith solidifies over time until it becomes something altogether different.  No more the generic notion of the "blind leap of faith", but now a rock solid, wide eyed revelation and demonstration of God's presence in your life.  Brings me tremendous joy to see these events unfold at times.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 04:03:32 PM »
I agree. Personal experience, they know less about theology than the average college graduate, but they do have faith and hope. Totally get why that could make someone's life happier. In their case, ignorance is bliss?

No disrespect intended.

Ignorance of what is bliss? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 04:04:34 PM »
I can speak from personal experience as I've stood on both sides of fence (religious and virtually non-religious) and being a man of faith has made me a far more joyful person.

Attending church regularly is a time of fellowship with believers and worship for the one we claim as savior. 

I think most regular church attendees don't spend much more time exploring their faith outside Sunday church attendance, but some do (I would classify myself as one that extends his faith beyond just church fellowship) and they draw enormous happiness from engaging that faith both in fellowship with believers and in learning more about the God they represent.  I draw tremendous joy from giving to others, but doing so privately as my only audience is the God I serve.  I enjoy studying theology and discussing it with others...even engaging in mild debate/discussion.  These experiences mature my faith, increase my knowledge and give me more opportunities to experience the wonderful presence of Jesus Christ.

I won't say that nonbelievers are unhappy people, but I will say that a vast majority of believers are happy.

It's amazing when you watch the Lord work within your life.  When you remain faithful and patient allowing his good will to unfold before you.  Your faith solidifies over time until it becomes something altogether different.  No more the generic notion of the "blind leap of faith", but now a rock solid, wide eyed revelation and demonstration of God's presence in your life.  Brings me tremendous joy to see these events unfold at times.

Well said.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 06:46:06 PM »
Ignorance of what is bliss? 

Scripture that might contradict what they think about scripture. My family and friends are all Christians, who only know the pleasant Sunday sermon verses. Totally ignorant about God's (in my opinion) OT atrocities: genocide, the endless smiting, "taking" girls/women, slavery "rules," etc., etc. No clue, none of them, and there'd be no point in ruining their present understanding, far as I'm concerned.

MoS is good at interpreting and explaining such things, but he's a learned theologian, who can more ably apply the proper perspective. The average believer, though? Tough hill to climb is all I'm saying.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 10:02:41 AM »
Scripture that might contradict what they think about scripture. My family and friends are all Christians, who only know the pleasant Sunday sermon verses. Totally ignorant about God's (in my opinion) OT atrocities: genocide, the endless smiting, "taking" girls/women, slavery "rules," etc., etc. No clue, none of them, and there'd be no point in ruining their present understanding, far as I'm concerned.

MoS is good at interpreting and explaining such things, but he's a learned theologian, who can more ably apply the proper perspective. The average believer, though? Tough hill to climb is all I'm saying.

Would it be fair to say it's the whole of the Bible you'd question, more than the idea of religion itself?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 12:35:42 PM »

You think those people are ignorant about their own beliefs?  Maybe they put them in context? 

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 07:45:30 PM »
You think those people are ignorant about their own beliefs?  Maybe they put them in context? 

Yes. When I ask about a certain verse or biblical occurrence, and they say, "Man, that shit ain't in there," what else would you call it?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 06:22:59 AM »
Yes. When I ask about a certain verse or biblical occurrence, and they say, "Man, that shit ain't in there," what else would you call it?

And I know there are more believers on this board, but they don't come forward publically because they don't know what to say or how to defend.  

When presented with biblical objections believers often fall to pieces and lose their witness for Christ because we all have a tendency to lash out when confronted.  I can't stand it when professed believers on these boards curse out a nonbeliever, "That's not what we belief and you're going to HELL and F*** YOU!!"  What is that LOL?!!  Does that represent Christ?

What people need to understand is that not knowing something is just fine....it's a good thing.   It means you have more to learn and when you take the time to honestly seek an answer you often learn more than just the answer to the question you initially sought.....amazing what happens when horizons are broadened.  For example, for Christmas I bought myself 3 new theological books and between Monday and Wednesday of this week I've already listened to about 12 hours of atheist v theist debates.  It's the way I learn.

Only a handful of years ago I couldn't have answered much of anything biblically, but I've studied and studied and studied and read and read and read and listened and listened and listened and discussed and discussed and discussed and wrote and wrote and wrote LOL.  For me it takes that because my retention abilities are not great.  I compile notes, books, debate links, websites, emails, online discussion threads.....I've literally amassed a ton of resources that are almost at my fingertips.  

Still, if I don't have an immediate answer to a question I'll seek one out....it's ok not to know something.  Lawrence Krauss (physicist, cosmologist and atheist) loves the notion of "not knowing" and "asking the universe questions" and all that comes from doing so....it's the process of learning that's often more valuable than the answers themselves......for what it's worth.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 02:04:37 PM »

I'm not sure what to call it, but perhaps you are taking verses out of context?  That might be why some claim it's not there?  But I don't know the particulars of your conversations. 

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 02:05:35 PM »
I'm not sure what to call it, but perhaps you are taking verses out of context?  That might be why some claim it's not there?  But I don't know the particulars of your conversations. 

Dude, you're grasping. There is no context, simply a verse that I read or send to them, word for word. I haven't interpreted anything, all verbatim. Meaning schmeaning, they tell me the verse itself doesn't exist.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 06:33:05 PM »

I've heard most Pastors don't preach in certain ways that were once common, and things have become softballed. So maybe that's related.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 01:18:04 PM »
Dude, you're grasping. There is no context, simply a verse that I read or send to them, word for word. I haven't interpreted anything, all verbatim. Meaning schmeaning, they tell me the verse itself doesn't exist.

I'm not grasping.  As I said, I don't know the particulars or context of your conversations.  Maybe if you post the verse I'll have a better understanding.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 05:46:45 AM »
And I know there are more believers on this board, but they don't come forward publically because they don't know what to say or how to defend.  

When presented with biblical objections believers often fall to pieces and lose their witness for Christ because we all have a tendency to lash out when confronted.  I can't stand it when professed believers on these boards curse out a nonbeliever, "That's not what we belief and you're going to HELL and F*** YOU!!"  What is that LOL?!!  Does that represent Christ?

What people need to understand is that not knowing something is just fine....it's a good thing.   It means you have more to learn and when you take the time to honestly seek an answer you often learn more than just the answer to the question you initially sought.....amazing what happens when horizons are broadened.  For example, for Christmas I bought myself 3 new theological books and between Monday and Wednesday of this week I've already listened to about 12 hours of atheist v theist debates.  It's the way I learn.

Only a handful of years ago I couldn't have answered much of anything biblically, but I've studied and studied and studied and read and read and read and listened and listened and listened and discussed and discussed and discussed and wrote and wrote and wrote LOL.  For me it takes that because my retention abilities are not great.  I compile notes, books, debate links, websites, emails, online discussion threads.....I've literally amassed a ton of resources that are almost at my fingertips.  

Still, if I don't have an immediate answer to a question I'll seek one out....it's ok not to know something.  Lawrence Krauss (physicist, cosmologist and atheist) loves the notion of "not knowing" and "asking the universe questions" and all that comes from doing so....it's the process of learning that's often more valuable than the answers themselves......for what it's worth.

Here's my problem with the ignorant christian. And by ignorant, I mean one who knows practically nothing about what's in the bible. I can't take them serious. After a brief conversation with the typical bible belt christian I quickly learn they have never bothered to read the very book they "believe" is from their god. How sincere is their belief then? I guarantee you that if today, a spaceship landed in the middle of central park, and an alien stepped out and placed a book on the ground and they sped off into the galaxy, within a month every person in the world would have read that book cover to cover. But I know very few christians that actually have taken the time to read the bible. They've read every Tom Clancy novel, every Stephen King novel, you name it but the bible... don't have time for that. I just can't take their "faith" seriously since they don't and chalk it up to being a Convenience Christian.. I say I believe because I was raised to believe and just in case it's true, I want to be covered.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 06:03:00 AM »

Here's my problem with the ignorant christian. And by ignorant, I mean one who knows practically nothing about what's in the bible. I can't take them serious. After a brief conversation with the typical bible belt christian I quickly learn they have never bothered to read the very book they "believe" is from their god. How sincere is their belief then? I guarantee you that if today, a spaceship landed in the middle of central park, and an alien stepped out and placed a book on the ground and they sped off into the galaxy, within a month every person in the world would have read that book cover to cover. But I know very few christians that actually have taken the time to read the bible. They've read every Tom Clancy novel, every Stephen King novel, you name it but the bible... don't have time for that. I just can't take their "faith" seriously since they don't and chalk it up to being a Convenience Christian.. I say I believe because I was raised to believe and just in case it's true, I want to be covered.

I couldn't agree with you more.  It's a terrible witness.  How can a Christian not have read their bible and then attempt to defend it?  From what I find, most Christians are "fed" only by their pastors/reverends on Sundays for an hour.  Don't get me wrong, that's a good hour to have, but it has to be more than that.

With instant communication and information believers today have an advantage because scripture and supplementals are readily availble.  They are also at a tremendous disadvantage if they don't study and learn the materials they profess to believe in and are then confronted by others (who also have instant access to information).

Within any religion thread on the G&O that I participate I'll be challenged with 100 questions/comments because typically I'm the only believer willing (or available....to be fair) to represent my faith.   So I attempt to do so honestly, throughly and lovingly.

That's why I have 1 Peter 3:15 under my avatar:

1 Peter 3:15
15 Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks about your hope as a believer, always be ready to explain it.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 06:08:06 AM »
I couldn't agree with you more.  It's a terrible witness.  How can a Christian not have read their bible?  From what I find, most Christians are "fed" only by their pastors/reverends on Sundays for an hour.  Don't get me wrong, that's a good hour to have, but it has to be more than that.

With instant communication and information believers today have an advantage because scripture and supplementals are readily availble.  They are also at a tremendous disadvantage if they don't study and learn the materials they profess to believe in and are then confronted by others (who also have instant access to information).

Within any religion thread on the G&O that I participate I'll be challenged with 100 questions/comments because typically I'm the only believer willing (or available....to be fair) to represent my faith.   So I attempt to do so honestly, throughly and lovingly.

That's why I have 1 Peter 3:15 under my avatar:

1 Peter 3:15
15 Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks about your hope as a believer, always be ready to explain it.

As a former Christian I was frustrated by the lack of sincerity among my peers. And you're right, if it's not spoon fed to them, they don't know it. Just yesterday a friend told me the Pope believes our pets go to heaven. I asked for the verse the pope used to support that assertion. He had no idea.. he just took the Popes word on it.. after all, he is the pope. He then proceeded to get offended that I would even question the Pope on it.. I said I'm not even asserting the Pope is wrong, I would just like to know what verses he used to draw that conclusion... I think he just wanted to believe it because he loves his dog and it didn't matter if it was biblical or not.. which I find is the case many times

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 06:50:58 AM »
As a former Christian I was frustrated by the lack of sincerity among my peers. And you're right, if it's not spoon fed to them, they don't know it. Just yesterday a friend told me the Pope believes our pets go to heaven. I asked for the verse the pope used to support that assertion. He had no idea.. he just took the Popes word on it.. after all, he is the pope. He then proceeded to get offended that I would even question the Pope on it.. I said I'm not even asserting the Pope is wrong, I would just like to know what verses he used to draw that conclusion... I think he just wanted to believe it because he loves his dog and it didn't matter if it was biblical or not.. which I find is the case many times

If you don't mind me asking, what caused you to leave your faith?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 07:26:45 AM »
If you don't mind me asking, what caused you to leave your faith?

I think you asked me that a couple years ago as well. It wasn't any one thing. It was a compilation of things over a few years. It's a long journey but I'll keep it short. I got to a point in my life where I wanted to increase my knowledge of the bible and become an active messenger for the good news verses someone who was Christian in name only. In my younger years I was very active in church, considered bible college and even gave a few sermons at my local Baptist church at the age of 16. As time went on I was less and less involved. One day I just started getting back into the bible, studying it, studying things written about it and so on. I came across some articles, manuscripts, and books that weren't available to me in my younger years that had viewpoints contradicting my beliefs and what I thought was "the truth". I started reading them with a filter on finding their flaws and refuting the notion the bible wasn't true. Surprisingly the informatioin lead me down a path I wasn't expecting. I'm in Law Enforcement and by nature draw conclusions based on the evidence and information at hand. If I was being honest with myself, the scale for the bible NOT being true was tipping that way the deeper I dug. Eventually I had to come to grips with the fact the bible was more likely to be man made and from man than from an Omnipotent Creator. It still took a couple years for me to let it go as I was a staunch believer for 35 years. In the beginning of my conversion I would read everything and anything christians would recommend in order to dispell this notion the bible wasn't true but no matter how many books I read or soul searching I did, it was like the veil had been lifted and I couldn't go back to believing that.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 08:04:43 AM »
I think you asked me that a couple years ago as well. It wasn't any one thing. It was a compilation of things over a few years. It's a long journey but I'll keep it short. I got to a point in my life where I wanted to increase my knowledge of the bible and become an active messenger for the good news verses someone who was Christian in name only. In my younger years I was very active in church, considered bible college and even gave a few sermons at my local Baptist church at the age of 16. As time went on I was less and less involved. One day I just started getting back into the bible, studying it, studying things written about it and so on. I came across some articles, manuscripts, and books that weren't available to me in my younger years that had viewpoints contradicting my beliefs and what I thought was "the truth". I started reading them with a filter on finding their flaws and refuting the notion the bible wasn't true. Surprisingly the informatioin lead me down a path I wasn't expecting. I'm in Law Enforcement and by nature draw conclusions based on the evidence and information at hand. If I was being honest with myself, the scale for the bible NOT being true was tipping that way the deeper I dug. Eventually I had to come to grips with the fact the bible was more likely to be man made and from man than from an Omnipotent Creator. It still took a couple years for me to let it go as I was a staunch believer for 35 years. In the beginning of my conversion I would read everything and anything christians would recommend in order to dispell this notion the bible wasn't true but no matter how many books I read or soul searching I did, it was like the veil had been lifted and I couldn't go back to believing that.

I appreciate you sharing this!!  It pains me when I hear stories of believers leaving their faith because they couldn't reconcile questions, doubts, evidence, objections, etc....

I think every believer experiences doubts though.  I certainly have!!  As I've mentioned I have also read and read and read...ad nauseum.  ;)

In the end, for me, I finally determined that every supplemental text written about the bible simply wasn't sufficient for me to understand who God is and how much he loves us....for that I simply had to go to the source in prayer.

Certainly there is great information out there from some brilliant theologians with wonderful hearts for God, but ultimately my faith rests in Jesus Christ and the powerful revelation he made and continues to make in my life.

Personal question here:  As a believer did you ever experience the tangible presence of the Holy Spirit?  Did the Holy Spirit ever wash over you in prayer or worship or in moments of faithful service to him?

For me personally, I struggled for years with the constant nagging in my head, "Is all this God stuff real?  Do I really believe this?"  These doubts felt as though they were constantly whispered in my head...they really haunted me....I struggled with it and essentially walked away from my faith.  I did nothing to live for him and began indulging in many pleasures the world had to offer. 

Shortly thereafter I had a deeply personal experience that lead me back to the cross.   I simply decided to let go of my doubts and just surrender to him....I just gave it all to him and his presence absolutely filled and overwhelmed me from top to bottom!  It was incredible.

I can only assure you that no matter how much of a divide has been created between you and your former faith that God absolutely loves you and so do I.  You many have no interest in coming back to Christ now, but my prayer is that God will reveal himself to you in a personal and undeniable way.  He did for a wretch like me and I burn for him today!

God bless you Agnostic!!
MOS

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 08:21:49 AM »
I appreciate you sharing this!!  It pains me when I hear stories of believers leaving their faith because they couldn't reconcile questions, doubts, evidence, objections, etc....

I think every believer experiences doubts though.  I certainly have!!  As I've mentioned I have also read and read and read...ad nauseum.  ;)

In the end, for me, I finally determined that every supplemental text written about the bible simply wasn't sufficient for me to understand who God is and how much he loves us....for that I simply had to go to the source in prayer.

Certainly there is great information out there from some brilliant theologians with wonderful hearts for God, but ultimately my faith rests in Jesus Christ and the powerful revelation he made and continues to make in my life.

Personal question here:  As a believer did you ever experience the tangible presence of the Holy Spirit?  Did the Holy Spirit ever wash over you in prayer or worship or in moments of faithful service to him?

For me personally, I struggled for years with the constant nagging in my head, "Is all this God stuff real?  Do I really believe this?"  These doubts felt as though they were constantly whispered in my head...they really haunted me....I struggled with it and essentially walked away from my faith.  I did nothing to live for him and began indulging in many pleasures the world had to offer. 

Shortly thereafter I had a deeply personal experience that lead me back to the cross.   I simply decided to let go of my doubts and just surrender to him....I just gave it all to him and his presence absolutely filled and overwhelmed me from top to bottom!  It was incredible.

I can only assure you that no matter how much of a divide has been created between you and your former faith that God absolutely loves you and so do I.  You many have no interest in coming back to Christ now, but my prayer is that God will reveal himself to you in a personal and undeniable way.  He did for a wretch like me and I burn for him today!

God bless you Agnostic!!
MOS

As to your question about the holy spirit washing over me, I certainly felt at the time like it had. But I can attribute that to the complexity of the brain. I can watch a gifted oracle work a crowd into a frenzy, convince people to drink cyanide laced kool aid and all manner of emotional highs. Speaking in tongues, rolling on the floor.. while they will contend it is the holy spirit, psychologist explain it a different way. So yes, I had that feeling but it can easily be explained.

It doesn't help that time after time after time these charlatan men of god keep getting uncovered as nothing more than con men bilking old ladies out of their SS checks. Their followers I would imagine "Felt the Holy Spirit" wash over them as well.

Not intending to down play your experience.. maybe you really felt it and it really is the holy spirit and you really have a personal relationship with Jesus. That's cool. I just don't share that particular belief

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 08:52:49 AM »
As to your question about the holy spirit washing over me, I certainly felt at the time like it had. But I can attribute that to the complexity of the brain. I can watch a gifted oracle work a crowd into a frenzy, convince people to drink cyanide laced kool aid and all manner of emotional highs. Speaking in tongues, rolling on the floor.. while they will contend it is the holy spirit, psychologist explain it a different way. So yes, I had that feeling but it can easily be explained.

It doesn't help that time after time after time these charlatan men of god keep getting uncovered as nothing more than con men bilking old ladies out of their SS checks. Their followers I would imagine "Felt the Holy Spirit" wash over them as well.

Not intending to down play your experience.. maybe you really felt it and it really is the holy spirit and you really have a personal relationship with Jesus. That's cool. I just don't share that particular belief

Yes, crowds can be easily wiped into a frenzy with a skilled person at the mic.  They can make people emote, tears to flow, hairs to rise on necks and goosebumps to form all over.   It's happened to me also.

Again for me, it's when all the pageantry was gone....all the showmanship stripped away.....all the music turned off.....all the stimuli removed leaving just me, an empty room and a desirous yet troubled heart.  When I pray alone, worship alone and his presence overwhelms me....it's personal and powerful and it's unprompted by man, animal or chemical.  Just a private moment with a reverent heart in surrender and the response of a loving God.  For me, that changed everything...it was undeniable for me.  When I no longer expected God to do this or that or perform in such a way I found pleasant or appropriate things changed.  When I just said, "Lord I surrender to your will for me," his presence was revealed, I changed and doubts vanished. 

I'm just sharing a perspective and nothing more. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 09:07:15 AM »
Yes, crowds can be easily wiped into a frenzy with a skilled person at the mic.  They can make people emote, tears to flow, hairs to rise on necks and goosebumps to form all over.   It's happened to me also.

Again for me, it's when all the pageantry was gone....all the showmanship stripped away.....all the music turned off.....all the stimuli removed leaving just me, an empty room and a desirous yet troubled heart.  When I pray alone, worship alone and his presence overwhelms me....it's personal and powerful and it's unprompted by man, animal or chemical.  Just a private moment with a reverent heart in surrender and the response of a loving God.  For me, that changed everything...it was undeniable for me.  When I no longer expected God to do this or that or perform in such a way I found pleasant or appropriate things changed.  When I just said, "Lord I surrender to your will for me," his presence was revealed, I changed and doubts vanished. 

I'm just sharing a perspective and nothing more. 

And I appreciate it. Like I tell my friends and family who share their personal experiences with their god with me, that's cool that happened to you, I suppose I'd feel the same way.