Getbig Main Boards > Politics and Political Issues Board

Why are conservatives happier than liberals?

(1/17) > >>

Dos Equis:
May 9, 2008
Why are conservatives happier than liberals?
Posted: 02:04 PM ET

FROM CNN’s Jack Cafferty:

Conservatives are happier than liberals.

A study published in the journal “Psychological Science” says it’s because conservatives are better at rationalizing inequalities.

Regardless of someone’s income, marital status or church attendance, people with right-wing ideologies report greater satisfaction with their lives than those with left-wing beliefs. Researchers found that conservatives also score highest when it comes to the ability to justify inequalities.

For example, a conservative might support the idea of a meritocracy – that if you work hard and perform well, you’ll move up the economic ladder… and if you don’t, you probably won’t. But the study shows liberals tend to be troubled by this. Inequalities take a greater psychological toll on liberals, apparently because they can’t rationalize away the gaps in society and thus end up more frustrated by them.

The study goes on to say that this research can be applied to areas other than economic inequalities. One example is that feminists may not be as happy in their marriages as more traditional women because they’re frustrated with the division of domestic chores.

These latest results go along with a Pew poll from 2006. It found 47% of conservative Republicans described themselves as “very happy”, compared to only 28% of liberal Democrats who felt that way.

This, then, is our burnt offering for a rainy Friday.

Here’s my question to you: A new study says conservatives are happier than liberals. Why?

Tune in to the Situation Room at 6pm to see if Jack reads your answer on air.

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2008/05/09/why-are-conservatives-happier-than-liberals/

240 is Back:

--- Quote from: Beach Bum on May 09, 2008, 01:34:42 PM ---A study published in the journal “Psychological Science” says it’s because conservatives are better at rationalizing inequalities.

--- End quote ---

Picture the coach saying liberals don't go to heaven... while saying the war for oil was okay because "there were other reasons - it wasn't JUST about taking their oil".

When your religion is tied to your politics, you excuse things you shouldn't.

Camel Jockey:

--- Quote from: 240 is Back on May 09, 2008, 03:20:35 PM ---Picture the coach saying liberals don't go to heaven... while saying the war for oil was okay because "there were other reasons - it wasn't JUST about taking their oil".

--- End quote ---

Do you think that midget is a real conservative?  ::)

24KT:
Because ignorance is bliss?  ;D

kh300:

--- Quote from: 240 is Back on May 09, 2008, 03:20:35 PM ---Picture the coach saying liberals don't go to heaven... while saying the war for oil was okay because "there were other reasons - it wasn't JUST about taking their oil".

--- End quote ---

i dont think thats what rationalizing inequalities means. it means you are what your worth. 

it makes so much sense to me, and ive said this all along. i have a conservative friend who makes me look like a clinton. he has no money, but is the happiest guy alive. doesnt look at anyone with jealousy, and hes contempt with the choices he's made, like not going to college.

i have a liberal friend whos never happy with anything. pissed off at life. wants what everyone else has. went to a bar the other night and he pissed on the doorhandle of a bmw. because he calls them rich pricks. hes the same as my conservative friend money wise, but as i hang out with them i can see why they look at things so much different.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version