Author Topic: SAVE FITNESS  (Read 14527 times)

Tanji Johnson

• Pros
  • Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Re: SAVE FITNESS
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2006, 01:55:02 PM »
I appreciate everyone's interest in this topic.

I think I have been able to stay motivated and simply ENJOY the sport b/c I do have balance in my life. Great boyfriend, family and friends. Fun and rewarding career (fitness coaching, personal trg, etc), I take a mini vacation every year, and I set goals for myself as an athlete and enjoy improving my physique and routines.

There  are always problems in a subjective sport, so I am looking to encourage women who WANT to try Fitness for themselves. I certainly won't be able to SAVE FITNESS alone, but I'm here to promote what I love and I LOVE Fitness. :)

God Bless and stay tuned for www.savefitness.com :)

Tanji

OneBigMan

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2006, 03:04:05 PM »
To Tanji Johnson:

Since you are the one who started this very good topic, I decided to add my two cents.

First of all, I must say that your website is very cool and that bio of yours is very interesting and is indeed a very nice personal story on top of that.

As far as saving fitness is concerned, I don't think it can be done unless the judges and some of the promoters decide to change their attitude as far as why they decide to score contests so inconsistently. One example of a lady who was so obviously a victim of this is former fitness pro Lisa Lowe.

I think you and and someone like Stacy Simons have a great amount of talent and a lot of potential to go far in fitness if the judges gave credit where it is due. I think Stacy has competed professionally since the 1998 Fitness Olympia in France if I am not mistaken. After all these years, she still doesn't consistently place well even after paying her dues so to speak, in the whole fitness industry.

I don't really know what else to add besides saying good luck with your career, family, friends, and your significant other("great boyfriend").

agpro

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2006, 03:06:40 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I think what Tanji is doing is great.  We both talked about caring about our sport and don't want to see it die.  I do encourage my clients to do fitness as well.  I believe anything is possible as long as they have the determination and dedication.  Like Tanji said, you have to compete for yourself.  We all know that we can't become rich competing but there is other ways to make money in the sport.  
I know figure just seems so much easier for someone with no background at all.  It just take a little bit more training and they will find out that fitness is so much fun.  I did not have any background when I started competing, I just love the sport and continue to work on skill to get better.  
Tanji is not along, I do want to see more girls competing in fitness, so i will be doing my part as well.

Best wishes,

www.adelagf.com

APlusPhotoShoots

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2006, 10:54:22 PM »
Damn !!!! Maybe Wayne Demillia ( PDI ) should consider having a fitness category. Seems like alot of fans and competitors are fed up with the IFBB fitness comps.

Just a thought ..... hey wayne are you listening ?

marcie999

• Getbig III
  • History is written by buggers who weren't there
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2006, 12:59:13 AM »
Maybe this situation needs a pro on the verge of retiring anyway, to just go ape on their tight little world. Embarrass them. Talk about the *strange* things they have seen and overheard. Its this doing nothing that has it all seeming to be on the way out. Maybe fear of exposure is the key. I dont expect people to commit career suicide just to make a point, but it seems if they wait until its embarrassing enough on its own, it will be dead in the water. Why dont they have an athletes rep for the ladies? God knows they make enough money off the fitness girls in the mags. Who is there to lobby for the girls interests?

And the judges have some serious work to do. Like that judge that assassinated Kelly Ryans physique in an international mag. Was anything done about it? Do the athletes have any recourse? It was one of the most unprofessional things I have ever seen.

Yeah I am pissed off. Factor in I am a big fan of the BB girls as well and maybe it will make more sense.

As a fan I want the athletes I admire to earn good money for their hard work, and to be looked after by the organisations that sign and make money off them. I want them offered the most up to date information on supplements so they can take absolute care of themselves and enjoy RESPECT for what they do. I dont want to hear they have to compromise themselves just to keep going. As a fan that makes me feel like crap.

Just some thoughts.

cheers.

Ripleeeyyyyyyyyyyy

rickyb

• Getbig I
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2006, 05:07:56 AM »
My 2 cents worth!
Fitness should be just what it's called "FITNESS", it should be who looks best in the posing suits in the physic rounds and then "FITNESS ROUNDS" not a gymnastics competition. Just because someone can do 5 backflips they shouldn't be considered more fit than someone who hasn't had gymnastics training. If your going to have a gymnastics competition have gymnasts judge it?
 There should be rounds for most chrunches,longest on a stair climber,most curls with half body weight "ARMWRESTLING". Actually find out who is fittest! Not who had the best gymnastic training. You gotta promote what people are going to want to watch!!!
 The whole thing is too clicky, too much favoritism in the competitions,who endorses who and who is managing who,plays too much into the outcome.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2006, 10:24:00 AM »
The whole thing is too cliquey, too much favoritism in the competitions...

Ouch. 

There does seem to be favoritism from time-to-time.

Maybe all the competitors should go out for drinks with the judges, and perhaps then everyone would be on equal footing.   

rickyb

• Getbig I
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2006, 11:19:12 AM »
Exactly! Why did Kelly Ryan never win an fitness Olympia? Because she was not managed by J. M. Manion!
 She had the best routine and one of the best bodies anywhere.
 Look at the past winners of the Fitness Olympia!

2005 Jenny Hendershot
2004 Adela Garcia-Friedmansky  ( J.M. Manion)
2003 Susie Curry ( J.M. Manion) Kelly Ryan 2nd
2002 Susie Curry ( J.M. Manion) Kelly Ryan 2nd
2001 Susie Curry ( J.M. Manion) Jennifer Worth 2nd ( J.M. Manion), Kelly Ryan 3rd
2000 Susie Curry ( J.M. Manion) Kelly Ryan 2nd
1999 Mary Yockey (J.M. Manion) Kelly Ryan 2nd

See anything a little fishy?

Just the facts!

OneBigMan

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2006, 12:08:23 PM »
I believe that Susie Curry's four straight victories at the Olympia was a result of her being able to privately get to know the judges and the promoters.

Jas

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2006, 08:14:05 AM »
Tanji...great idea...and as you can see you have a board full of people who have your back...I will say I think the judging is a major issue...the head judge(the one who mentioned  that Kelly R could never win if Susie C was on stage)has a pre-set idea on who should win as she mentioned...maybe like in other organizations the rounds should be judged by experts in that round...like the fitness round should be judged by people who know a good routinue,understand flow,transtions,also can see hard moves that the girls have mastered and make look easy also the 1&2 piece rounds could be judged by the figure judges since the goal is balance and a female body...and all rounds are equal...I'm sure there are lots of ways to make it better but lets hope you can be the spear head to get fitness back on course like when girls saw it on ESPN and thought "I want to do that"Good luck and God bless...jas

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2006, 11:05:15 AM »
Kelly Ryan never had anywhere close to the best physique on the Olympia stage. 

Someone said this past week that Curry's physique was weak, but I encourage you to re-visit the photo evidence.  Susie's body rocked!!!  Her routines may have been a little hurt-ting the last couple of years, but her physique was never anything short of flawless.  Was that enough to give her those last two titles?  Well, that's up for debate, but you cannot legitimately argue that her physique wasn't one of the top 3 *anytime* she stepped onstage.

genex

• Getbig III
  • check out genex magazine on FTVideo.com!
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2006, 12:21:08 AM »
Tanji let us know what we can do to help, you know we love you fitness ladies! :)

OneBigMan

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2006, 10:05:02 AM »
One way to save fitness is by having impartial judges. It would be good to have former fitness pros become judges instead of the usual suspects who are in collusion with the top ranked fitness performers and figure models.

fitfan

• Getbig II
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2006, 10:58:00 AM »
You got it OneBigMan.  The way it is now, it's not even a sport because the judging is not based on talent.

OneBigMan

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2006, 08:46:31 PM »
I don't believe the judges are going to give up the opportunity they have to control who wins contests because they have greatly benefited from forcing people to do certain things when they're not on stage.

agpro

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2006, 10:31:37 PM »
You got it OneBigMan.  The way it is now, it's not even a sport because the judging is not based on talent.

Hi Fitfan,

So you are pretty much saying that all of the girls that have been competing for many years don't have any talent?  I am sorry, but it comes down  to the overall package on stage. that day.   I think Fitness is moving in a good direction and is not going to go away.  I am willing to start judging amateur shows and also once i retire,  if I ever do  :D judge pro shows as well.  I am in Austin, Texas and I have been training many figure competitors. I do encourage my figure clients to do fitness but I do respect there choice.  We just need to be positive about the issue and help by going to the shows and supporting the athletes.

Ciao Bella

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2006, 11:09:26 PM »
Tanji (and all)...

A fellow getbigger emailed me as to this topic...

The problem here isn't the judging, and it isn't the rise in numbers of Figure girls competing, it isn't the stage, etc, etc.

The problem comes down to one thing...MONEY.

The Fitness girls work harder than ANY of the BB related sports (yes, including the men). The problem is...because it's the hardest discipline, it's very easy for girls to switch to Figure...which is far easier but just as rewarding when it comes to exposure (which is bigger) and more importantly...MONEY.

What we (as a group) have to focus on, is getting a bigger purse to the Fitness shows, and reward the girls for their efforts. It's a tough sell when there is a NET LOSS for the 2nd-5th place finishers...even the winner loses money or at best makes $500-$1,000 after expenses and taxes.

THIS is where the changes need to be made in order to bring the numbers up.

One item I'm working on, is getting the rules changed reguarding the IFBB's stance on making appearances, guest pposings, Expo work, store openings, etc. in NON-SANCTIONED events...I believe this is illegal given the fact that we (as IFBB pro's) are listed as independant contractors, yet, receive no compensation directly from the IFBB, or Pro League. Unless the IFBB is willing to make us "employees", pay us a monthly fee, and 10-99 us at the end of the year...they are impeding our ability to make a living from our chosen profession.

As long as an IFBB athlete is in good standing, and is advertised/ promoted as a IFBB athlete for any of the above mentioned functions...I see no reason why we cannot be representing the IFBB at any other BB related event...IFBB or not.

This would open up many doors, and give more money making opportunities to the many athletes that make the IFBB what it is. It would also serve a dual purpose in allowing us to represent the company and bring up the overall interest to our sport.

Tanji, Adela...I could use all the support from your girls in getting this rule changed...working together, we have the ability to make changes for ourselves, and the next generation to follow us.

Bob Cicherilllo
IFBB Athlletes Rep

fitfan

• Getbig II
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2006, 09:58:05 AM »
I am DEFINATLEY not saying that the girls have no talent!!!!  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Rather...the placings where the routine rounds are concerned are more often than not based upon the physique score.  There are not many girls who are like you Adela and have a great physique PLUS a great routine.  Most of the girls have just one or the other.  And...the physique girls are almost always without fail granted higher routine scores than the girls who have FAR superior routines but are lower in the physique rounds...ie, Lea Waide, Bridgette Newell, etc.  There is no reason why a Lea Waide who does a flawless routine time and time again places last in a routine round behinds girls who are not even CLOSE in their talent level.

There just needs to be fair judging in BOTH rounds to keep the girls who are incredible at routines in the game, and keep the competition interesting for the fans!!

-FitFan

Tanji Johnson

• Pros
  • Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2006, 11:17:34 AM »
Bob,

I'm behind you 100%. I've had to turn down several opportunities to guest pose/appear b.c they were not IFBB/NPC sanctioned events. And yes, it does affect me financially to have to say no.

Let me know what you need me to do.

Fitfan, I am an NPC judge as well and co-promote my own show. Like Adela said, I think we are headed in the right direction as far as having more judges in the future that are former competitors. But it will take time.

Tanj

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2006, 11:55:44 AM »
Exactly my point...

Perhaps you and Adela could head a campaign to gain as many signatures via a mass email, as possible from all athletes (fitness, figure, BB) I'll take the mens side of course....

I'll set up a email outlining the proposal I intend on submitting to Manion/ IFBB...you get it out there.

I believe the IFBB will meet us halfway...allow us to earn a living, represent the IFBB, make non-sanctioned app, etc....we won't challenge the "competing in non-sanc shows" part....

seems fair to me.

onefitphd

• Pros
  • Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2006, 12:32:40 PM »
I am in full support of Tanji's quest!  And Chick in right with his point as well!  Count me in to Help Tanji!!!

p.s. thanks for compliment on how hard we train Bob!!!!!  ;D

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2006, 03:48:54 PM »
They should pay the fitness girls more. The strength and athleticism that go into a pro routine separate these athletes from the girls who just hang a swimsuit and pose.

The judging is definately in the doldrums and they need to tighten up their act and walk their talk. Inside grumbling doesnt accomplish anything. I keep hoping for a stand alone star that brings heaps of publicity and new fans, and then turning Lee Priest and shining light on all those dark grimy little secrets that preserve a status quo that demeans the efforts of real athletes.

As a fan I am permanently annoyed. As a gym girl I keep wondering if I should crank it up to the next level and compete. The returns just seem so low. But I'm cheering loudly for the ladies that have rolled up their sleeves and gotten down to it.

cheers
[/quote

Ok i will start on my fitness routine and compete.Then i will be your voice i have half of Adela's routine down pat.:)

NPCOK

• Getbig II
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2006, 04:50:21 PM »
My wife and I both compete in the NPC at the national level. My wife is a fitness competitor (www.breeanrobinson.com) and I have also noticed the decline in fitness and the HUGE boom in figure. Fitness needs to be promoted and I also believe the money is a huge issue. Go to any show and listen to the crowd during the figure or bodybuilding vs. the fitness part. Figure and bodybuilding will have a few friends/relatives shouting out "go number 14 or keep it tight stacy..shit like that" other than that people are falling asleep. I love bodybuilding and I work with a lot of figure girls and have much respect for figure competitors as well, but I won't even sit and watch a bb/figure show on tv because it's boring...plain and simple...When the fitness competitors come out and do their routines you actually hear people in the crowd respond....as in they are actually being entertained. We are from Oklahoma and the NPC Oklahoma is in 4 weeks. This year they are including "teen fitness" the teen girls only do routines...no one/two piece rounds. I think this is a great way to promote fitness to a new generation of girls who are looking for something to do after gymnastics/cheerleading. Eileen Luis...our NPC state chairperson has done an excellent job to promote this and my wife is working with a bunch of girls that will be competing. If more of the promoters at the state level tried this I think it would help. Anybody from Oklahoma that is interested in competing in fitness can contact us. We own a personal trainng studio (www.finerphysiques.com) in Tulsa, Ok.

marcie999

• Getbig III
  • History is written by buggers who weren't there
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2006, 10:51:18 PM »
Lee, you just made my day buddy, The visual from that was awesome.   ;D

On a serious note, I  feel crap as a fan that I am supporting a system where most of the athletes are hurting to make a living. I'm paying serious money to go to the shows, and picking up the odd mag here and there. Where's it all going?

I think its viable in the BB world that some more of the cash from the mags and advertising from the supplement companies can find its way to the athletes that compete. Some royalties should flow in from photo shoots as well. This situation has foundations in the beginnings of BB, and its time they got pulled up and brought into the real world. I appreciate Bob trying to do it in an orderly fashion, but also appreciate someone getting fed up and calling them out on the glaring problems, like you've been doing. If it ends up being better for the athletes, its worth it.

Still, imagining you competing in womens fitness to fix the mess and tackle them shady judges, makes me curiously optimistic.  ;D

cheers.

Ripleeeyyyyyyyyyyy

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2006, 11:44:41 PM »
Marcie-

I appreciate your passion, but in the grand scheme of things...that approach doesn't get results. Business is business, and it will be addressed in that very manner. Athletes need to start approaching this as a business, and take the emotional side out of the negotiations.

I go in armed (no pun intended), with facts, figures (no pun here, either!) and a logical layout as to WHY these changes are warrented, and serve both the Athletes AND the IFBB's best interests...a win/ win proposition.

So far, that approach has about a 95% approval rate...I'll stick with it.