Author Topic: Grymko's Back/Chest Course from 1978  (Read 12909 times)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Grymko's Back/Chest Course from 1978
« on: April 21, 2006, 07:22:42 AM »
My father was cleaning out his attic and found a course I had ordered as a young kid called "Chest & Back" by Pete Grymkowski, Mr. World.  I'm pretty sure its out of print now.  What was cool was not the discussion of his basic routine but his frank 1970s era insights on nutrition and the use of steroids.  He states that in five months he gained 50 pounds before winning his height class in the IFBB America without sacrificing musculartity and definition.  His daily consumption of protein was surprisingly low, 250 g per day.  He participated in studies at the University of Rochester (for those of you who don't know a top university) which found that dish and chicken were not the ideal proteins for bodybuilding due to what he called the "drying" effect on the intestines that prevented protein absorption and assimilation.  It is a cool piece of memorabilia and I'm happy I still have it.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
Re: Grymko's Back/Chest Course from 1978
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 07:57:11 AM »
Great..why not scan and post so we can all see

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 08:33:48 AM »
Great..why not scan and post so we can all see

I would love to do that.  I'm a little worried about whether the copyright protection applies even though it's (presumably) out of print.  Maybe I'll seek permission to do it because it's pretty cool.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 12:59:21 PM »
DOn't worry I'll tell Pete.  He is like my brother and my kids godfather.  I am actully going to ask him if he has any copies. thanks

Jeff Preston

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 02:32:55 PM »
Be sure to ask if he still has any "Pete Grymkowski's Mr World Protein Powder" laying around! I picked that up in 1977 and I swear I put on 10 pounds in two weeks.  Then again it was a two week pass to Gold's while on vacation, I was training twice a day (didn't want to miss anything) and I was a protein/food starved kid. Pete came up towards the end of the  second week and asked,

"Hey Jeff how much weight have you put on"

About 10 pounds

"You know I can tell it in your arms".

Made my day! ;)
Raw-Iron.com

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 03:17:14 PM »
My father was cleaning out his attic and found a course I had ordered as a young kid called "Chest & Back" by Pete Grymkowski, Mr. World.  I'm pretty sure its out of print now.  What was cool was not the discussion of his basic routine but his frank 1970s era insights on nutrition and the use of steroids.  He states that in five months he gained 50 pounds before winning his height class in the IFBB America without sacrificing musculartity and definition.  His daily consumption of protein was surprisingly low, 250 g per day.  He participated in studies at the University of Rochester (for those of you who don't know a top university) which found that dish and chicken were not the ideal proteins for bodybuilding due to what he called the "drying" effect on the intestines that prevented protein absorption and assimilation.  It is a cool piece of memorabilia and I'm happy I still have it.

There's a University in Rochester?

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 09:04:05 AM »
FYI- In 2006, U of R was ranked 34th in the Nation, outranking such schools as NYU and Boston College according to the rankings in US News and World Report.

As far as bodybuilding goes, we should thank Rochester for giving us Grymko and Danny Padilla.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 09:19:11 PM »
Petes sister is a brain surgeon or heart surgeon I think back in Rochester.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 09:50:45 PM »
Petes sister is a brain surgeon or heart surgeon I think back in Rochester.

she must be out of work!

;D

(sorry....couldn't resist)

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 05:30:45 PM »

she must be out of work!

;D

(sorry....couldn't resist)

LOL.

BTW, I went to the U of R for graduate work in the late 70's. Couldn't stand the place. It had quite the attitude. God knows why. It is located just to the east of a pretty seedy area, and just south of an even worse area.

Grymko looked like a monster, way ahead of his time. I'd like to think it was something in Rochester's water but I drank a boat load and it didn't seem to have the same effect ;D

Bodies

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 12:34:01 AM »
You're worried about copyright protection on an article from a 30 yr old muscle rag???

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 08:23:35 AM »
You're worried about copyright protection on an article from a 30 yr old muscle rag???

It's not an article, it was a bodybuilding course I ordered in the mail.  And yes, as a lawyer, I worry about distributing copyrighted material without permission.

Bodies

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 12:11:27 AM »
It's not an article, it was a bodybuilding course I ordered in the mail.  And yes, as a lawyer, I worry about distributing copyrighted material without permission.

Fine, keep your "precious" information to yourself......I will locate it myself.

Bodies

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 12:12:43 AM »
Typical scumbag lawyer.  I bet you would sell it to me.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 08:26:52 AM »
Typical scumbag lawyer.  I bet you would sell it to me.

Wow.  I respect the law (not to mention the personal finances of my family) and I'm a "scumbag"?  Look at my earlier post RETARD, I'm trying to get PERMISSION to post it.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 12:06:21 PM »
I just got the back corse emailed to me and I will post it up here in the next couple days

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 09:37:47 PM »
Make sure to check all copyright laws first, it's only 30 years old.. ::)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 11:30:01 PM »

Why would I have to do that.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 08:36:28 AM »

Ahhh... the eternal gratitude flows abundant for my efforts to get this out to the getbig community!  That is reward enough.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 05:00:16 AM »
Looking forward to reading this...post it! Nothing to worry about..

Give Pete credit. Not well known but he was the original steroid/GH guru, the first that i can remember openly discussing this in mags, which he did in detail. Reality BB before the internet.

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 02:48:48 PM »
Correct me if wrong Midnite Rambo but isn't copyright laws only applicable if the person was to use what is copyrighted trying to make a profit from the material being used?Post that routine onlyme, i'm curious to see it also!

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 02:56:16 PM »
Correct me if wrong Midnite Rambo but isn't copyright laws only applicable if the person was to use what is copyrighted trying to make a profit from the material being used?Post that routine onlyme, i'm curious to see it also!

Dunno, I'm a lawyer but not a copyright lawyer.  Since onlyme has a relationship with Grymko, I scanned the course and sent it to him.  He offered to post it and deal with Pete which I appreciated.  Regardless of the letter of the law, I think it shows respect for another person's intellectual property by obtaining permission before posting something online.  I have to admit I'm a bit put off by those who gave me a hard time  for showing this respect, especially since I didn't have to share it at all but did.  I did so not for the sarcastic ingrates (see many of the posts above) but because I think Pete was ahead of his time and he deserves the respect of modern bodybuilders today.  I'm sorry so few people can appreciate that.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006, 04:56:46 PM »
Midnite- Thanks for your efforts. Grymko and Padilla are two of my favorite bodybuilders.

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 06:16:20 AM »
Thanks a lot onlyme & Midnite Rambo.Just glanced at the course so far but looks to be very interesting.Be reading the whole thing for sure at a future date.Nice little web site you got yourself there onlyme.Be checking out the rest of that also at a later time :).

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 01:17:03 PM »
Thanks, our clothing line is doing very well right now.  It is getting out there.