Author Topic: Industry News & Notes:  (Read 758683 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: News and Notes
« Reply #325 on: February 09, 2010, 12:46:20 PM »
Update on Bret Hart:

-- It would appear that Bret Hart has been cleared to wrestle and that a "Hitman" vs. Vince McMahon match will be taking place in the form of a singles bout at WrestleMania XXVI. At the conclusion of this week's RAW, Cena convinced The Chairman to accept a match with the WWE Hall of Famer at WrestleMania. When Hart, who had been banned from the arena, actually appeared and retaliated against his longtime nemesis, however, McMahon retreated behind his security and canceled the bout. A none too pleased "Hitman" proceeded to go on a tear inside the Cajundome. Should he end up competing at WrestleMania, it will mark as Hart's first wrestling match in over ten years. He was forced to retire from in-ring competition in late 2000 after sustaining a career-ending injury several months prior.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #326 on: February 09, 2010, 01:10:34 PM »
So, I guess that means that Vince will be starting his cycle next week.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #327 on: February 09, 2010, 03:03:21 PM »
So, I guess that means that Vince will be starting his cycle next week.

;D

He'll be digging out the tight black jeans and sleeveless shirt as well.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #328 on: February 09, 2010, 04:02:17 PM »
He ought to just have someone airbrush them on.

Seriously, though - Vince always comes to a match in excellent condition. It sounds as if he is usually in terrific shape, but I suspect he tends to look a little "better" come match time - much the way Billy Gunn & Triple H used to.

They'll never do it, but it would be so fukking funny if they showed Vince backstage just before the match, and someone (anyone) walks by, looks at him and says, "Well...Looks like company wellness testing is only for the employees."

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #329 on: February 10, 2010, 04:28:14 AM »
He ought to just have someone airbrush them on.

Seriously, though - Vince always comes to a match in excellent condition. It sounds as if he is usually in terrific shape, but I suspect he tends to look a little "better" come match time - much the way Billy Gunn & Triple H used to.

They'll never do it, but it would be so fukking funny if they showed Vince backstage just before the match, and someone (anyone) walks by, looks at him and says, "Well...Looks like company wellness testing is only for the employees."

Personally, I think they're just teasing the match. I don't think it will happen. Mind you, you never know.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #330 on: February 10, 2010, 07:03:48 AM »
Bret looks to be quite a ways from “ring” shape.
He’s older and a bit heavier now.

But I think I mentioned this before – the man can still work. He spent a lot of years adapting to his opponents’ limitations, and I’m sure he can do the same with his own.

The Bret Hart of today can work better than a lot of guys on the current roster.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #331 on: February 10, 2010, 09:13:02 AM »
Bret looks to be quite a ways from “ring” shape.
He’s older and a bit heavier now.

But I think I mentioned this before – the man can still work. He spent a lot of years adapting to his opponents’ limitations, and I’m sure he can do the same with his own.

The Bret Hart of today can work better than a lot of guys on the current roster.

100% truth there.

Some of these guys today are very painful to watch. I always pop in dvd's from the past. I miss the Ricky Steamboat type wrestlers who were fun and exciting and were also well schooled in the ring.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #332 on: February 10, 2010, 10:42:57 AM »
That’s one reason I predict the Dynasty to improve by leaps & bounds. I can see Bret being actively involved with their progress – even if it’s just behind the scenes.

I expect Bret & the “kids” to eventually end up on the same brand (with the same travel schedule) so that the Hitman can be closer with & spend more time mentoring them.

Making it to the top usually takes the right combination of aptitude, skill, and instruction. I see all of those in the Dynasty.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #333 on: February 11, 2010, 06:08:59 AM »
That’s one reason I predict the Dynasty to improve by leaps & bounds. I can see Bret being actively involved with their progress – even if it’s just behind the scenes.

I expect Bret & the “kids” to eventually end up on the same brand (with the same travel schedule) so that the Hitman can be closer with & spend more time mentoring them.

Making it to the top usually takes the right combination of aptitude, skill, and instruction. I see all of those in the Dynasty.

The only problem there is that Bret is only temporarily contracted to WM. He is done after that.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #334 on: February 11, 2010, 09:08:08 AM »
I suspect that, if things go well for both parties, we will see Bret sign an extension.
Vince could use a little help right now. And, if his writings are any indication, it sounds like Bret (like so many others) misses “the life.”

If both men are happy with how things turn out, and if the probable future looks bright, I think chances are good they’ll continue doing business.

The above is only speculation, but I think there’s a lot more they could do with Hart than a 3 month program.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #335 on: February 18, 2010, 03:27:28 PM »
UFC posted a press release noting that they have won a legal battle against former star Ken Shamrock, who was suing them for hundreds of thousands of dollars, claiming they violated the terms of his contract.
The press release states, "The UFC has a clear and unambiguous attorney fee clause in all of its contracts with fighters to the effect, that in the event a fighter loses any contractual challenge in court, that fighter will be responsible for paying our fees.
Accordingly, we will be filing a motion to seek recovery of all of our expenses and fees which were occasioned by this lawsuit."

credit: wrestlezone.com

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #336 on: February 19, 2010, 02:19:04 PM »
Jeff Hardy update:

As reported on earlier by the TNAWrestlingNews.com website, Jeff Hardy is currently shying away from any wrestling commitments until his trial was over.

Hardy, who goes to trial on March 17th, was contacted by an international wrestling promotion and told him that due to his indictment he was not allowed to leave the country until his legal issues were resolved.

We can also now confirm that Hardy has decided to go to TNA full-time once/if he is able to clear up these issues. It should be noted that North Carolina drug laws are very strict so we'll see what happens once the case gets going. That could get interesting.

We're told one of the reasons he made this decision to return to TNA instead of a return to WWE was for both the easier schedule and the fact that WWE had CM Punk do a certain segment on TV mocking him after he had been arrested. TNAWrestlingNews.com reports that he was said to be really pissed off over that angle and it was definitely one of the reasons he showed up on the January 4th TNA Monday night iMPACT! telecast.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #337 on: February 19, 2010, 03:15:45 PM »
And right now Russo is trying to work out an angle where Jeff wrestles his matches while wearing an ankle bracelet for 6 months.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #338 on: February 22, 2010, 04:45:18 AM »
And right now Russo is trying to work out an angle where Jeff wrestles his matches while wearing an ankle bracelet for 6 months.

Lol...

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #339 on: February 26, 2010, 12:54:21 PM »
WWE realeases....

Maria, Shane Helms & Paul Birchill have been realeased by World Wrestling Entertainment. More to come.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #340 on: February 26, 2010, 12:58:36 PM »
As noted earlier, WWE.com has announced that Shane "Hurricane" Helms and Paul Burchill have been released. Shane Helms' most recent WWE run began back in 2008. Since then, he has served as both a backstage interviewer and wrestler and performed as both Shane Helms as well as The Hurricane. He was arrested along with Chris Jericho in late January for public intoxication and was part of the ECW brand when it folded earlier this month. Helms' release should come as no surprise and you can expect him to try for a job in TNA as friends Jeff Hardy and Shannon Moore are over there. Paul Burchill had been with WWE since 2005 and was also part of the ECW brand before it folded. There was talk he'd be moving to RAW. Both men were wished the best in all future endeavors.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #341 on: February 26, 2010, 01:20:15 PM »
More on Maria's firing....

Maria Kanellis had just turned 28 yesterday. Maria's release is somewhat surprising as she was awarded the Diva of the Year Slammy last year and is set to be on NBC's Celebrity Apprentice this season. She has been vocal in interviews recently about wanting to phase down her involvement in wrestling, so the release may have had something to do with that.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #342 on: March 01, 2010, 04:39:53 AM »
Add Charlie Haas to that list...

The following is from WWE.com:

WWE has come to terms on the release of WWE Superstar Charlie Haas as of today, February 28, 2010. We wish Charlie Haas the best in all future endeavors.

Too bad too...Haas was an excellent worker. WWE just didn't have anything for him at the time.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #343 on: March 08, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »
The following is from the latest Q&A session with Jim Ross from his official website, www.JRsBarBQ.com:

Q: "In your opion do you think that TNA will put the WWE out of business?"

JR: "Hell, no. WWE likely wont' be dinted by TNA and WWE shouldn't be TNA's obsession. TNA should just worry about improving their brand and making more money and producing more compelling TV. WWE is way too strong and too well organized to be noticeably impacted by any one in today's marketplace in pro wrestling."

Q:" Do you think its time that the WWE started mentioning other wrestling organizations on there programming. Obvious reasons would be Daniel Bryan & CM Punk being a ROH champion and Christian and R-Truth winning TNA Championships. Maybe we could get history on some superstars instead of these guys either disappearing for years and or just appearing out of no where. I mean Vince must have seen these guys before he signed them so why explain where to the audience."

JR: "I'm not big on mentioning other brands personally and I highly doubt that McMahon saw either talent you mentioned to any serious degree before the talent relations department signed them which isn't unusual or necessary."

Q: Why does Eric Bischoff poke fun at WWE yet they pick up former WWE stars because they are incapable of building stars on their own.

JR: "I can only assume Eric does it to get folks talking such as you with this question. Personally I would never infer to WWE especially with TNA going head to head on Mondays. What does it do to help make TNA a better show to watch?"

Q: "Why doesn't the WWE incorporate more history into current storylines? It seems to me if two wrestlers have a decade of history together than it would significantly add to the current storyline and give it added depth much like a rivalry in the NFL."

JR: "You'd have to ask WWE that question. I don't know. Perhaps they don't feel that history and nostalgia plays well to their fan base. "

Q: "Do you think Cena vs Rock will ever happen? Also, since The Rock is coming back this summer to guest host Raw, Do you think Cena might come out when he hosts to confront him?"

JR: "To quote Gorilla, "Highly Unlikely."

Q: " So with TNA moving to Monday nights and rekindling the Monday Night War, do you see WWE moving away from the PG rating?"

JR: "I don't see this Monday night stuff as being a "war" nor do I see WWE deviating from their PG rating."

Q: "If Sting signed with WWE, how would you see him being used? gimmckwise and storyline wise?

JR: "I would see him used sparingly, well positioned and as a legendary attraction"

Q: "What do you think of Ric Flair coming out of retirement?"

JR: "If Ric is happy then I am happy. If used wisely, Ric can still be an asset as a wrestler but will always add to any show if he isn't overexposed."

Q: "Do you think that WWE should bring back the Cruiserweight title? People like Evan Bourne, Yoshi Tatsu, and Jimmy Yang will probably never hold a major title due to their size. And do you think that Hulk Hogan giving Abyss his Hall of Fame ring is a slap in the face to Vince McMahon?

JR: "The cruiserweights should only be brought back if they are going to be featured and not just lip service like TNA's X Division. Hulk giving Abyss his WWE HOF ring was fiction and I did not find it offensive at all. I don't speak for McMahon.

Q: "what are thoughts on bret hart vs vince mcmahon at wrestlemania 26"

JR: "I'm intrigued by it and hope that it is enjoyed by all. Likely the last time Bret will ever be in the ring in this role. That's big."

Q: "I was reading vince mcmahons twitter and he sais you are returning for wrestlemania 26 is this true thanks"

JR: "That's news to me. I did not know McMahon even had a Twitter page but I am not yet contractually obligated to attend WM26 even though that is my goal."

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #344 on: March 08, 2010, 12:13:40 PM »
The following is from the latest Q&A session with Jim Ross from his official website, www.JRsBarBQ.com:

Q: "In your opion do you think that TNA will put the WWE out of business?"

JR: "Hell, no. WWE likely wont' be dinted by TNA and WWE shouldn't be TNA's obsession. TNA should just worry about improving their brand and making more money and producing more compelling TV. WWE is way too strong and too well organized to be noticeably impacted by any one in today's marketplace in pro wrestling."

Q:" Do you think its time that the WWE started mentioning other wrestling organizations on there programming. Obvious reasons would be Daniel Bryan & CM Punk being a ROH champion and Christian and R-Truth winning TNA Championships. Maybe we could get history on some superstars instead of these guys either disappearing for years and or just appearing out of no where. I mean Vince must have seen these guys before he signed them so why explain where to the audience."

JR: "I'm not big on mentioning other brands personally and I highly doubt that McMahon saw either talent you mentioned to any serious degree before the talent relations department signed them which isn't unusual or necessary."

Q: Why does Eric Bischoff poke fun at WWE yet they pick up former WWE stars because they are incapable of building stars on their own.

JR: "I can only assume Eric does it to get folks talking such as you with this question. Personally I would never infer to WWE especially with TNA going head to head on Mondays. What does it do to help make TNA a better show to watch?"

Q: "Why doesn't the WWE incorporate more history into current storylines? It seems to me if two wrestlers have a decade of history together than it would significantly add to the current storyline and give it added depth much like a rivalry in the NFL."

JR: "You'd have to ask WWE that question. I don't know. Perhaps they don't feel that history and nostalgia plays well to their fan base. "

Q: "Do you think Cena vs Rock will ever happen? Also, since The Rock is coming back this summer to guest host Raw, Do you think Cena might come out when he hosts to confront him?"

JR: "To quote Gorilla, "Highly Unlikely."

Q: " So with TNA moving to Monday nights and rekindling the Monday Night War, do you see WWE moving away from the PG rating?"

JR: "I don't see this Monday night stuff as being a "war" nor do I see WWE deviating from their PG rating."

Q: "If Sting signed with WWE, how would you see him being used? gimmckwise and storyline wise?

JR: "I would see him used sparingly, well positioned and as a legendary attraction"

Q: "What do you think of Ric Flair coming out of retirement?"

JR: "If Ric is happy then I am happy. If used wisely, Ric can still be an asset as a wrestler but will always add to any show if he isn't overexposed."

Q: "Do you think that WWE should bring back the Cruiserweight title? People like Evan Bourne, Yoshi Tatsu, and Jimmy Yang will probably never hold a major title due to their size. And do you think that Hulk Hogan giving Abyss his Hall of Fame ring is a slap in the face to Vince McMahon?

JR: "The cruiserweights should only be brought back if they are going to be featured and not just lip service like TNA's X Division. Hulk giving Abyss his WWE HOF ring was fiction and I did not find it offensive at all. I don't speak for McMahon.

Q: "what are thoughts on bret hart vs vince mcmahon at wrestlemania 26"

JR: "I'm intrigued by it and hope that it is enjoyed by all. Likely the last time Bret will ever be in the ring in this role. That's big."

Q: "I was reading vince mcmahons twitter and he sais you are returning for wrestlemania 26 is this true thanks"

JR: "That's news to me. I did not know McMahon even had a Twitter page but I am not yet contractually obligated to attend WM26 even though that is my goal."
Very interesting read.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #345 on: March 22, 2010, 08:22:04 AM »
More on Bret Hart & Shawn Michaels...

WWE's recently released Shawn Michaels DVD, Shawn Michaels - My Journey, has HBK doing commentary for a 1992 match in Ottawa against Bret Hart. It's worth noting because Michaels goes out of his way to put over "The Hit Man" after proclaiming for a number of years that he was very good, but not great. Michaels relays his past history with Hart, saying both tried to work past their conflicts in spite of their paranoia and shared belief that management kept them at odds because they thought it was best for business. The piece was taped prior Hart's return to WWE as Michaels said he hadn't seen him since "Montreal." Michaels added he had Hart's phone number and wanted to call him to bury the hatchet because it sends a bad message to people if you can't forgive and forget. Ultimately, he never ended up calling him.

I'm glad these two eventually buried the hatchet. Neither one of them should be at fault for a decision Vince made and orchastrated. Both are outstanding talents.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #346 on: March 22, 2010, 09:54:21 PM »
It's Ali/Frazier. "You might have won the battle. But I won the war." Bret will never get over it. Showstoppa won. Hey absolutely fantastic Stu is going into the HOF. The BIG PICTURE here is once again it's Bret vs. Shawn. It's WM. This is Brets last hurrah. Undertaker is facing Showstoppa in the main event. All these guys have something to prove to one another. Who's the biggest superstar? Then we have HHH and John Cena. All these guys are looking to set the standard. Can't everyone see the look in Undertakers eyes! This guy just recently got set on fire! Now Michaels is calling him out to produce the best match ever! Wrestlemania is the big stage. no one wants to get shadowed. ESPECIALLY BRET PLAYBOY. This is serious $hit this Sunday! Huuuuuuge Legacy's at stake! Rey and Punk is gonna be a great great match! Really looking forward to Sunday! VKM sleeps on a pillow full of money.

;D ;D ;D  Haha, awesome post!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #347 on: March 23, 2010, 06:33:18 AM »
;D ;D ;D  Haha, awesome post!
Glad to see someone understood it  ;D

Bottom line, Michael's is retiring. Cena will get his ass handed to him, Legacy is gonna get a tune up alla RKO, Sheamus is gonna get his asked kicked so bad that he'll get a complection, Edge will beat Jericho only to have a cashed in MITB winner Christian to steal the title from him. My predictions.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #348 on: March 23, 2010, 07:27:53 PM »
Looking forward to both He and Stu's speaches.

I'm not expecting Stu to say much.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #349 on: March 24, 2010, 04:49:15 AM »
Why the hell would they put Bob Ucker in the HOF??? That's my big question. He wasn't even a wrestler. Same with Pete Rose. How disappointing must that be especially to wrestlers that have paid their dues over the years.