Author Topic: Industry News & Notes:  (Read 758690 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Industry News & Notes - Updated Weekly:
« Reply #375 on: April 26, 2010, 04:28:39 AM »
The only two that surprised me were Mickie and Shelton.  She's been a long term top Diva, and is actually one of the few that can actually wrestle properly.  Maybe she wasn't pushing all the right buttons backstage but I think they'll miss her ability/popularity.  Benjamin has always been one that I was waiting to do something impressive, but never did.  WWE obviously got sick of trying to get him to fulfil his potential and gave him the boot.
They should have never let Shelton & Haas go. Those two had a real wrestling background and the WWE should have utilized their talents better.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #376 on: April 26, 2010, 05:38:41 AM »
^^ YES!!
While it’s true that the talent has to be able to deliver…when you see two guys with that much talent not making it, it makes you wonder how much was really their fault vs. creative’s.

I’d like to know: did management give – or even attempt to give – them anything substantial to work with?
Were any of the issues leading to Shelton & Charlie’s release even discussed with them earlier?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #377 on: April 26, 2010, 05:43:25 AM »
^^ YES!!
While it’s true that the talent has to be able to deliver…when you see two guys with that much talent not making it, it makes you wonder how much was really their fault vs. creative’s.

I’d like to know: did management give – or even attempt to give – them anything substantial to work with?
Were any of the issues leading to Shelton & Charlie’s release even discussed with them earlier?

Here's another one....as per the PWI this morning...

The word making the rounds in Baltimore, where the WWE crew has arrived for tonight's Extreme Rules pay-per-view, is that Batista is finishing up with the company this week.

Batista had been talking about leaving as early as January, and as was recently reported he was displeased with Triple H taking the lead role in the film Killing Karma, which was originally slated for Batista. The feeling is that this decision was made because Batista's contract was ending and WWE did not want to risk having him in a film while not under contract.

He's challenging John Cena in what may ultimately be his final match inside a WWE ring. We'll have more shortly.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #378 on: April 26, 2010, 12:49:14 PM »
Serious question: can Batista act?
I've never seen him in anything.
And yeah, wrestling is a form of acting, but it's a significantly different creature than the silver screen.

Regardless, the grass is always greener on the other side...

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #379 on: April 26, 2010, 12:50:18 PM »
Everyone wants to go to Hollywood. What kinda movies is this guy gonna be in? Prison and football movies? Even John Cena with the looks and charm only second to the Rock really didn't even break through to the silver screen. I wish Batista all the very best with his future endeavors but I think he should stay in the ring.
He doesn't even need Hollywood. He's made his money and then some. He wanted a movie role and WWE awarded that role to HHH which is why he was irate.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #380 on: April 26, 2010, 04:30:51 PM »
Serious question: can Batista act?
I've never seen him in anything.
And yeah, wrestling is a form of acting, but it's a significantly different creature than the silver screen.

Regardless, the grass is always greener on the other side...
   you mean you didn't catch him in the movie wrong side of town, his performance was oscar worthy. batista truly is a talented thespian.
F

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #381 on: April 27, 2010, 04:38:24 AM »
How much money do you think this guy has? Does he have a wife and kids? If not? His REAL bills haven't even entered his life yet.
At a million dollar per year salary he's just fine. That is a ton of money over a 7 year stint not to mention bonuses, house gates and other ventures. He doesn't have a wife or kids.

On another note....here's the WWE draft results...

1. Kelly Kelly was drafted to SmackDown! (via Michelle McCool and Layla's victory over Eve and Maryse).

2. Big Show was drafted to SmackDown! (via CM Punk's victory over Evan Bourne).

3. John Morrison was drafted to RAW (via RAW's Battle Royal victory).

4. R-Truth was drafted to RAW (via RAW's Battle Royal victory).

5. Edge was drafted to RAW (via RAW's Battle Royal victory).

6. Kofi Kingston was drafted to SmackDown! (via Chris Jericho's victory over Christian).

7. Christian was drafted to SmackDown! (via Jack Swagger's victory over John Morrison).

8. Chris Jericho was drafted to RAW (via Hornswoggle's victory over Dolph Ziggler).

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #382 on: April 27, 2010, 12:50:49 PM »
Jericho might have been on the Smackdown? He never left Smackdown after loosing that match sending him to Friday nights. Great to see Christian make it Mondays.
You mean your glad Christian went to Smackdown...Tues nights (aired fri nights). Edge & Jericho came to raw which I think is awesome.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #383 on: May 01, 2010, 10:46:13 AM »
The following is a new message from the official TNA Facebook page:

"Effective immediately, TNA Wrestling has elected to terminate the services of Todd Clem p/k/a Bubba the Love Sponge."

Ha!
I remember a time when Hulk "the main man" Hogan could swing favors for anyone.

Stay in control, Dixie!
Don't give absolute power to any of these egomaniacs!!!
Keep learning.
Keep improving.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #384 on: May 01, 2010, 10:48:42 AM »
According to The Wrestling Observer, Vince McMahon is currently on a big "youth kick," and that's the reason some other older stars haven't been used as much as they have in the past.
McMahon wants to feature younger talent on TV, which is one of the main reasons why guys like Finlay haven't been used on a regular basis.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #385 on: May 01, 2010, 10:51:26 AM »
The following is an excerpt from the latest online blog of WWE Hall Of Famer Jim Ross, updating his status with WWE and his future plans:

Credit: JrsBarBQ.com

There is rampant speculation on the internet about my future.
This is understandable as I've talked a great deal about it here on my blogs.
Plus, it's provided various wrestling sites, etc with some nice cannon fodder over the past few weeks.

This matter is much more simple than many perceive.
My WWE 'talent contract' has ended after a 17+ year run with the company.
However, I am still a WWE employee handling the same talent relations functions that I have executed for the company for the past few years including since moving to Oklahoma.
I simply do not have a 'talent contract' as WWE has no plans to utilize me as an on air talent at this time.

The WWE engaged in talks with me on Thursday of this week to discuss a new job description that would include what I am now doing along with other talent relations oriented matters.
I am considering this offer and I trust that a decision will be made soon regarding this opportunity.
In the meantime, I am still interested in a variety of projects and opportunities.

While some may feel that it is in their best interest that I not remain in broadcasting, I do not share in that belief at this time.
Somewhat like the recently estranged Halle Berry, I don't think that I will be lacking for 'suitors,' so to speak, if broadcastings the road that I decide to travel.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #386 on: May 01, 2010, 03:47:21 PM »
The following is an excerpt from the latest online blog of WWE Hall Of Famer Jim Ross, updating his status with WWE and his future plans:

Credit: JrsBarBQ.com

There is rampant speculation on the internet about my future.
This is understandable as I've talked a great deal about it here on my blogs.
Plus, it's provided various wrestling sites, etc with some nice cannon fodder over the past few weeks.

This matter is much more simple than many perceive.
My WWE 'talent contract' has ended after a 17+ year run with the company.
However, I am still a WWE employee handling the same talent relations functions that I have executed for the company for the past few years including since moving to Oklahoma.
I simply do not have a 'talent contract' as WWE has no plans to utilize me as an on air talent at this time.

The WWE engaged in talks with me on Thursday of this week to discuss a new job description that would include what I am now doing along with other talent relations oriented matters.
I am considering this offer and I trust that a decision will be made soon regarding this opportunity.
In the meantime, I am still interested in a variety of projects and opportunities.

While some may feel that it is in their best interest that I not remain in broadcasting, I do not share in that belief at this time.
Somewhat like the recently estranged Halle Berry, I don't think that I will be lacking for 'suitors,' so to speak, if broadcastings the road that I decide to travel.

jr brought jack swagger to wwe lately his best find.
F

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #387 on: May 03, 2010, 04:42:06 AM »
The following is a new message from the official TNA Facebook page:

"Effective immediately, TNA Wrestling has elected to terminate the services of Todd Clem p/k/a Bubba the Love Sponge."

Ha!
I remember a time when Hulk "the main man" Hogan could swing favors for anyone.

Stay in control, Dixie!
Don't give absolute power to any of these egomaniacs!!!
Keep learning.
Keep improving.

Bubba got fired and now there's an opening for Jim Ross. TNA is said to really want JR.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #388 on: May 03, 2010, 07:46:42 AM »
Until Ross signs an extension with the Fed, the possibility of a TNA jump exists in my book.
The verbiage used in his latest blog employs enough ambiguity to leave all doors opened wide enough that this could go either way.

I am considering this [WWE’s] offer and I trust that a decision will be made soon regarding this opportunity.

“Considering this offer,” means he hasn’t made a decision regarding WWE either way.

“I am still interested in a variety of projects and opportunities,” is vague enough to include anything, but seems to tease mostly towards ventures outside the Fed.

That last sentence above really does it for me. When he mentions people who “feel that it is in their best interest that I not remain in broadcasting,” it certainly appears as if he’s referencing his current coworkers.

Of course, this could all be a bluff against the Fed.
Maybe JR wants to stick around, but is playing on all of these TNA rumors as a bargaining chip.
Time will tell.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #389 on: May 03, 2010, 09:38:28 AM »
The fact that TNA fired Bubba could mean they've created an opening for JR. JR had a high level meeting with Dixie Carter and her father last week so who knows. At this point and time he hasn't hinted or said he was going anywhere.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #390 on: May 05, 2010, 06:34:23 PM »
Credit: wrestlezone.com

Bret Hart was on WrestleZone affiliate "Right After Wrestling" on SIRIUS Radio 98 to discuss his future plans, the Hart Dynasty, the "Hart and Soul" DVD release and more.
During the interview, he said that he doesn't think he'll be making any more live appearances after the May 17th broadcast of Raw in Toronto.
He did mention that he won't rule anything out as he's been enjoying his recent time on television. However, it looks as if his recent assistance in putting over the Hart Dynasty will be the last of The Hitman on WWE programming for a while.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #391 on: May 06, 2010, 04:44:06 AM »
According to a source, Mickie James was moved to SmackDown! this past fall because she'd didn't professionally handle breaking up a relationship from a top WWE star, thus resulting in company officials separating the two on different brands. For those curious, the wrestler in question is John Cena, who James knew full well is a married man.

Reportedly, James had become too much of a nuisance backstage at WWE events and some people in power wanted her "out of their hair."

Also note, this is not the first time in which a top WWE star involved in relationship has denied her advances.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #392 on: May 07, 2010, 06:13:13 PM »
credit: wrestlezone.com

The buyrate for this year's WrestleMania (XXVI) came in at 885,000 worldwide which has to be considered a disappointment.  It should be noted though that this year's show followed a Saturday night UFC pay per view event. 

WECT out of Wilmington, North Carolina has an article and video up on their site remembering the 1975 plane crash of Ric Flair and othe professional wrestlers.  Ric Flair was one very lucky man being able to recover from a broken back that he suffered from the crash and having the career that he did.  It's also the reason he doesn't land on his back directly when taking moves like the back bodydrop.  If you haven't heard the story, be sure to go check it out at WECT.com. 

Primo mentioned during a recent radio interview that Monday Night Raw will be WWE's final wrestling show at the Mellon Arena.  The main event is scheduled to be John Cena vs Batista.  They'll also be selling a commemorative t-shirt that pays tribute to the past events there in the arena. 

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #393 on: May 10, 2010, 04:03:37 AM »
Source: The Pro Wrestling Torch

For those curious, there is indeed heat between Matt Striker and Jerry Lawler. Michael Cole is also not a fan of Striker.

The former teacher reportedly has a reputation for coming off as an elitist, which rubs a number of his peers the wrong way. "He has a long way to come off as good as he thinks he is," said one company source regarding Striker. There have been times where Striker wanted to prepare for broadcasts with Cole and Lawler, but he irritates them so much they go out of their way to avoid him until show time.

Though many of his co-workers feel he comes off as an annoyance, there have been several accounts of Striker going out his way to please fans after shows. Vince McMahon is also a fan of Striker's SmackDown! color commentary.

Personally, I can't stand Matt Striker and think he should be fired. He stinks.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #394 on: May 10, 2010, 05:17:30 AM »
Vince McMahon is also a fan of Striker's SmackDown! color commentary.

That won't happen so long as he's keeping the right people person happy.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #395 on: May 10, 2010, 08:10:33 AM »

That won't happen so long as he's keeping the right people person happy.
I know. That's politics for you.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #396 on: May 10, 2010, 08:52:46 AM »
Batista update...

Partial Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

According to those close to Batista, it is not 100% certain that he will be leaving World Wrestling Entertainment, although it is believed that Over the Limit will be his final show. He was said to be furious that a film project initially based around him was taken from him, particularly since it was at the last minute.

Big Dave is listening to outside offers and it should be noted that there is interest on the part of TNA. However, the belief is that it is highly unlikely "The Animal" would jump ship to the competition since they would never be able to offer him anything close to what he's making in WWE, which is in the neighborhood of several million dollars per year. It should also be noted that Dave is a big spender, has tonnes of cash and according to one source 'lives like a rock star' with a high quality house, several fancy cars, and more.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #397 on: May 11, 2010, 08:23:44 AM »
Big Dave is listening to outside offers and it should be noted that there is interest on the part of TNA. However, the belief is that it is highly unlikely "The Animal" would jump ship to the competition since they would never be able to offer him anything close to what he's making in WWE, which is in the neighborhood of several million dollars per year. It should also be noted that Dave is a big spender, has tonnes of cash and according to one source 'lives like a rock star' with a high quality house, several fancy cars, and more.

What Batista is willing to accept will probably be largely dependent on his other opportunities.
Is it a case of “what else is he gonna do?”
Or, does he have the ability to strike it on his own?

If he did - in fact - leave WWE over this movie dispute, he just may take whatever TNA offers him unless his agent has some big plans outside of wrestling already lined up for him.

Don’t forget, too, that Dixie has been pretty accommodating with her (especially, bigger) talent - much more so than Vince.
TNA knows they can’t compete directly with WWE salaries, so they offer other incentives to sweeten the pot.

Dave may arrange for lower pay, but with a lighter schedule that would allow him to pursue other ventures (like acting) while working for them - I’ve read of similar deals for other main-eventers.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #398 on: May 11, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
What Batista is willing to accept will probably be largely dependent on his other opportunities.
Is it a case of “what else is he gonna do?”
Or, does he have the ability to strike it on his own?

If he did - in fact - leave WWE over this movie dispute, he just may take whatever TNA offers him unless his agent has some big plans outside of wrestling already lined up for him.

Don’t forget, too, that Dixie has been pretty accommodating with her (especially, bigger) talent - much more so than Vince.
TNA knows they can’t compete directly with WWE salaries, so they offer other incentives to sweeten the pot.

Dave may arrange for lower pay, but with a lighter schedule that would allow him to pursue other ventures (like acting) while working for them - I’ve read of similar deals for other main-eventers.

Exactly. That's why guys like Sting, Angle & Foley went there. Its common sense.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #399 on: May 11, 2010, 11:18:30 AM »
Source: The Pro Wrestling Torch

For those curious, there is indeed heat between Matt Striker and Jerry Lawler. Michael Cole is also not a fan of Striker.

The former teacher reportedly has a reputation for coming off as an elitist, which rubs a number of his peers the wrong way. "He has a long way to come off as good as he thinks he is," said one company source regarding Striker. There have been times where Striker wanted to prepare for broadcasts with Cole and Lawler, but he irritates them so much they go out of their way to avoid him until show time.

Though many of his co-workers feel he comes off as an annoyance, there have been several accounts of Striker going out his way to please fans after shows. Vince McMahon is also a fan of Striker's SmackDown! color commentary.

striker does come off as somewhat of an asshole, however he seems to have been a fan  and a wrestling  historian of sorts for the sport so that ain't all bad.
F