Author Topic: Industry News & Notes:  (Read 758707 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Industry News & Notes - Updated Weekly:
« Reply #500 on: July 23, 2010, 04:17:14 AM »
In a recent interview with The San Diego Union-Tribune, former WWE and WCW Champion Bill Goldberg had the following to say about the possibility of wrestling one more match:

"If the money was right, I'd go out there and do it in two seconds. I'd have to be totally prepared for it, because I wouldn't want to tarnish my image, but I'd like to be in the ring one more time so that my wife and my son can see me wrestle live."
"I don't ever want to say that I miss anything about the wrestling business. I miss the ability to put a smile on a kid’s face, more than one at a time. That was a true charge for me."

I wouldn't mind seeing Goldberg returning to the WWE for a wrestlemania match. He can really hype the crowd.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #501 on: July 23, 2010, 05:31:04 AM »
If he's entertaining the idea of a comeback, I can only presume it's for the money/exposure.
It doesn't sound as if he "loved" the wrestling business as Vince evolved it.
Although, with the "G"-"PG" ratings, maybe this is more his cup of coffee.

I don't know that Bill has done a whole lot since leaving the ring.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #502 on: July 23, 2010, 05:45:05 AM »
If he's entertaining the idea of a comeback, I can only presume it's for the money/exposure.

i don't think Bill ever had any real love the business, you can tell by his book and comments.  He would never have cut it in the old days.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #503 on: July 23, 2010, 05:50:38 AM »

He's done a few things. He was on Celebrity apprentice and he's been commentating in UFC and doing other projects in Japan. He's made his money.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #504 on: July 23, 2010, 06:52:57 AM »
I haven’t read his book, but from interviews, I got the impression that he never did it for the smell of the crowd & roar of the popcorn (or whatever).

Bill was about money.
And, there’s nothing wrong with that because it’s business/your livelihood.
If he’s dabbling in other areas of the entertainment biz, he could only help himself by increasing his exposure.

WM26 drew a 72,000+ house.
Bill isn’t blind.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #505 on: July 23, 2010, 07:35:15 AM »
I haven’t read his book, but from interviews, I got the impression that he never did it for the smell of the crowd & roar of the popcorn (or whatever).

Bill was about money.
And, there’s nothing wrong with that because it’s business/your livelihood.
If he’s dabbling in other areas of the entertainment biz, he could only help himself by increasing his exposure.

WM26 drew a 72,000+ house.
Bill isn’t blind.

He really made no bones about that in his book, I think being from a pro football background and understanding he was just a commodity, made him that way.  But I still have tons more respect for guys who do it for "the love of the sport" than those just wanting to cash in.  Kinda like even if Flair had never acquired wealth, he would have still been tooling around the mid-atlantic region and putting on 5 star matches EVERYTIME out....or at least thats the impression I get.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #506 on: July 23, 2010, 07:50:45 AM »
He really made no bones about that in his book, I think being from a pro football background and understanding he was just a commodity, made him that way.  But I still have tons more respect for guys who do it for "the love of the sport" than those just wanting to cash in.  Kinda like even if Flair had never acquired wealth, he would have still been tooling around the mid-atlantic region and putting on 5 star matches EVERYTIME out....or at least thats the impression I get.
Flair vs Steamboat for the Heavyweight title / Clash of the Champions in April 1989. Best damn match I ever saw.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #507 on: July 23, 2010, 11:40:40 AM »
He's done a few things. He was on Celebrity apprentice and he's been commentating in UFC and doing other projects in Japan. He's made his money.
he's also made a few movies see imdb.com and had his own show called bullrun.
F

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #508 on: July 23, 2010, 04:35:35 PM »
Flair vs Steamboat for the Heavyweight title / Clash of the Champions in April 1989. Best damn match I ever saw.

Excellent choice.  I was lucky enough to see the Flair/Steamboat fued in the old mid-atlantic territory...saw the beginning on TV, the weekly build-ups and saw them wrestle each other on quite a few occasions, and they always tore the house down.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #509 on: July 26, 2010, 05:13:11 AM »
Excellent choice.  I was lucky enough to see the Flair/Steamboat fued in the old mid-atlantic territory...saw the beginning on TV, the weekly build-ups and saw them wrestle each other on quite a few occasions, and they always tore the house down.
From what I heard, during their angle back in 1989 they had a large series of untelevised house shows that were supposed to be some of the best matches ever.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #510 on: July 26, 2010, 05:19:59 AM »
The following former WWE talents, who were released on or before April 22, 2010, are now free to work for other wrestling promotions as their 90 day no-compete clauses have expired:

Mickie James
Shelton Benjamin
Mike Knox
Katie Lea Burchill
Jimmy Wang Yang
Funaki
Slam Master J

credit: wrestlezone.com

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #511 on: July 26, 2010, 05:24:37 AM »
The Wrestling Observer is reporting that WWE star Chris Jericho is expected to take some time off from the company when his contract expires this fall.
WrestleZone was the first to exclusively report awhile back that there was heat on Jericho for accepting the host position on ABC's game show "Downfall," and it appears that both the game show tapings and upcoming Fozzy dates might see Jericho taking time off from WWE.

There is speculation that he might finish up with the company altogether, but that has not been confirmed at this point.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #512 on: July 26, 2010, 06:17:43 AM »
Jim Ross has posted the following on his Twitter account: "Saw old friend Jerry Brisco tonite @ fcw. FCW TV has an updated, old school feel. BTW Ricky Steamboat out of hospital. Missed him by a day."

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #513 on: July 26, 2010, 06:48:39 AM »
Jim Ross has posted the following on his Twitter account: "Saw old friend Jerry Brisco tonite @ fcw. FCW TV has an updated, old school feel. BTW Ricky Steamboat out of hospital. Missed him by a day."

Thank God Steamboat is ok.

On another note, a good friend of mine just bought his dvd and said it is amazing. A definate investment for any wrestling fan to have.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #514 on: July 27, 2010, 12:02:31 PM »

Recently we reported Bret Hart's comments on getting married, which featured quotes from the WWE Hall Of Famer talking about his wedding scheduled for this past weekend.

WrestleZone.com can confirm that "The Hitman" did indeed tie the knot this past Saturday to his now former girlfriend and current wife, Stephanie Washington.

Originally the happy couple was scheduled to have their honeymoon in Hawaii, but with Hart now being involved in the SummerSlam main event, those plans may have changed.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #515 on: July 27, 2010, 12:06:11 PM »
In Bret Hart news:

The Hitman allegedly tied the knot with his fiance, Stephaine Washington, this past weekend.

And, as far as future WWE plans for Bret, it was revealed that on the 8/9 Raw it will be Edge and Chris Jericho vs. John Cena and Bret "The Hitman" Hart, with the Nexus members serving as the lumberjacks of the match.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #516 on: July 27, 2010, 12:07:12 PM »
From the Kevin Nash Twitter page:

"Scott Hall update: Scott's home. Clean 20+ days. And sounding great. He'll outlive us all. Love you Buddy!"

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #517 on: July 28, 2010, 04:44:10 AM »
From the Kevin Nash Twitter page:

"Scott Hall update: Scott's home. Clean 20+ days. And sounding great. He'll outlive us all. Love you Buddy!"

Lol....

"Hey yo! It's survey time..."

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #518 on: July 28, 2010, 05:26:31 PM »
credit: The Wrestling Observer

It's being reported that WWE wants The Ultimate Warrior to be its headlining inductee into next year's Hall of Fame class.
At this point, it's being said that WWE is pushing for Warrior to accept its HOF request.
Other names being rumored for induction are The Fabulous Freebirds and Arn Anderson.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #519 on: July 29, 2010, 07:33:40 AM »
credit: The Wrestling Observer

It's being reported that WWE wants The Ultimate Warrior to be its headlining inductee into next year's Hall of Fame class.
At this point, it's being said that WWE is pushing for Warrior to accept its HOF request.
Other names being rumored for induction are The Fabulous Freebirds and Arn Anderson.

I heard he rejected Vince's HOF offer.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #520 on: July 29, 2010, 03:14:32 PM »
He probably is asking for too much money to do the appearance.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #521 on: July 30, 2010, 05:53:08 AM »
He probably is asking for too much money to do the appearance.

Probably. But if any wrestler ever was able to outsmart and stick it to Vince, it was Warrior.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #522 on: August 02, 2010, 05:50:13 PM »
Former WWE Diva Stacy Keibler will be appearing in the weekly undercover agent role of "Greta" on the NBC show "Chuck." An official air date for this specific episode has yet to be revealed.

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin will also be returning in an appearance on the show "Chuck" this fall.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #523 on: August 03, 2010, 08:44:13 AM »
Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin will be working with the "Kings of Wreslting" tag team on the Sept. 11 Ring of Honor PPV.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #524 on: August 03, 2010, 12:36:19 PM »
Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin will be working with the "Kings of Wreslting" tag team on the Sept. 11 Ring of Honor PPV.

These two should be heading to TNA soon.