Author Topic: Industry News & Notes:  (Read 758691 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Industry News & Notes - Updated Weekly:
« Reply #675 on: October 03, 2010, 04:27:50 PM »
credit: The Wrestling Observer

The latest on Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat is that he's still recovering from the bleeding brain issue which hospitalized him awhile back. It's being said that when Steamboat is well enough to return to work, he will report to FCW where he will be a developmental trainer. A source who saw Steamboat not too long ago in a Charlotte, NC store, claimed that he looked great and seemed to be recovering well.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #676 on: October 03, 2010, 04:29:17 PM »
The Wrestling Observer is reporting that TNA and Kurt Angle have agreed to a one year contract extension for the Olympic gold medalist.
Angle has expressed interest in retiring from active wrestling in the near future to concentrate on acting, and when his three year deal with TNA expired back in 2009, he agreed to a one year extension which he has done again this year.
No word on whether or not his will be Angle's final year of active wrestling, however he has claimed in the past that he doesn't plan to go for much longer.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #677 on: October 04, 2010, 04:46:19 PM »
The UK Sun has posted a new interview with former WWE star Stone Cold Steve Austin.

On the subject of both Hulk Hogan and possibly wrestling one more match, Austin had the following to say: "I'm lucky, you know my neck is 100 percent these days, I can do my own stunts and fight scenes where I can. I don't claim to be a tough guy, but I give it a go. My neck was fixed in 2000, I had to leave the ring because of the damage, but in my normal life and movies it's fine, although wrestling wise I'd be a total mess right now."

"You know I'm hearing Hulk is talking about getting back in the ring, even though his back is messed up. He was a big guy and all that wear and tear takes a toll on the back and the bigger the guy, the harder it is. But more power to him if he thinks he's fit to step in the ring.

He's the immortal and only Hulkster, so ultimately he knows his body best. I respect whatever decision he makes. I never thought I'd say it, but when I'm asked about one more match these days I do tend to say 'never say never.' So don't rule it out."

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #678 on: October 04, 2010, 04:47:44 PM »
credit: JRsBarBQ.com

"Saw where the UK Sun interviewed Steve Austin about another of Steve's movies being released eminently. Again, when Austin said 'never say never' regarding him returning to the ring one can surmise that is true as long as Steve is healthy enough to want to train to get back into the ring but I would be shocked to see Steve ever want to wrestle anyone at anytime at any place in the future.

Could it happen? Sure. Will it happen? Highly unlikely. Let the rumors begin and the speculation run wild, BROTHER! Steve is immersed in is movie career and to get back into the ring would take time away from that endeavor as Austin would never step back in the ring without several weeks or perhaps even months of preparation. Stone Cold has too much pride to ever step in the ring merely for a pay day and not to give his fans a helluva bout."

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #679 on: October 05, 2010, 05:31:58 AM »
credit: JRsBarBQ.com

"Saw where the UK Sun interviewed Steve Austin about another of Steve's movies being released eminently. Again, when Austin said 'never say never' regarding him returning to the ring one can surmise that is true as long as Steve is healthy enough to want to train to get back into the ring but I would be shocked to see Steve ever want to wrestle anyone at anytime at any place in the future.

Could it happen? Sure. Will it happen? Highly unlikely. Let the rumors begin and the speculation run wild, BROTHER! Steve is immersed in is movie career and to get back into the ring would take time away from that endeavor as Austin would never step back in the ring without several weeks or perhaps even months of preparation. Stone Cold has too much pride to ever step in the ring merely for a pay day and not to give his fans a helluva bout."

They should make Austin the GM of Raw. WWe's ratings would spike through the roof.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #680 on: October 05, 2010, 05:38:45 AM »
I suspect Austin will return to WWE in some capacity - for some length of time - if it means cross-promoting his movie career, which, so far, hasn't exactly soared.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #681 on: October 05, 2010, 06:02:58 AM »
I suspect Austin will return to WWE in some capacity - for some length of time - if it means cross-promoting his movie career, which, so far, hasn't exactly soared.

He doesn't care. He's made his money and then some.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #682 on: October 06, 2010, 04:53:28 AM »
The future plans with Cena & nexus...

The Cena/Nexus storyline is apparently using the Virgil/Ted DiBiase from the 1990s as a road map, with the idea being that the way Cena is treated will get the fans behind him to snap and attack Wade Barrett. WWE Creative has an endpoint to the angle but the majority will be booked week-to-week.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #683 on: October 06, 2010, 02:36:08 PM »
ComingSoon.net recently spoke with famous actor Bruce Willis regarding the potential Expendables sequel, noting even "Stone Cold" Steve Austin will be returning for the project.

Willis stated:

"I talked to Sly and he's going for all the marbles this time, and he's going to get everybody in this time. Even Stone Cold Steve Austin who took two bullets in the last film, he's coming back, too. Hopefully, they'll start shooting it while we're young enough to survive."

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #684 on: October 06, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
They should make Austin the GM of Raw. WWe's ratings would spike through the roof.

I would personally buy a second TV and satellite subscription just to watch it on both.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #685 on: October 07, 2010, 05:36:17 AM »
I would personally buy a second TV and satellite subscription just to watch it on both.
You and me both. Bring on the beer baths, swearing & violence.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #686 on: October 07, 2010, 05:51:28 AM »
You and me both. Bring on the beer baths, swearing & violence.

Favorite time for me in the WWF was the months leading up to Austin vs Michaels w/Tyson as ref.  Every Monday night was worth watching.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #687 on: October 07, 2010, 06:21:12 AM »
Favorite time for me in the WWF was the months leading up to Austin vs Michaels w/Tyson as ref.  Every Monday night was worth watching.
Even the Austin / Rock / Corperation angle was hot at the time. Now, I PVR Raw purposely so I can sift through it quickly. Its just not worth watching anymore.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #688 on: October 07, 2010, 10:55:52 AM »

It was funny, creative, interesting, engaging, and enjoyable.
Sure, it was commercial, but it was good entertainment.

I haven't watched more than 15 minutes of WWE programming at one time in about a year.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #689 on: October 07, 2010, 11:13:13 AM »

It was funny, creative, interesting, engaging, and enjoyable.
Sure, it was commercial, but it was good entertainment.

I haven't watched more than 15 minutes of WWE programming at one time in about a year.
And that's Raw. Smackdown won't even garner 5 minutes of my time.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #690 on: October 07, 2010, 03:27:02 PM »
Even the Austin / Rock / Corperation angle was hot at the time. Now, I PVR Raw purposely so I can sift through it quickly. Its just not worth watching anymore.

I do the same.  Also partly because in a two hour show, there's nearly an hour of commercials.  It's much easier to fast forward through and just keep up with the storylines.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #691 on: October 08, 2010, 05:01:55 AM »
I do the same.  Also partly because in a two hour show, there's nearly an hour of commercials.  It's much easier to fast forward through and just keep up with the storylines.
At one time I actually watched the entire show when it used to be on Monday nights from 10pm - 12pm. Now, it won't even get 15 minutes of my attention.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #692 on: October 09, 2010, 06:18:36 PM »
At one time I actually watched the entire show when it used to be on Monday nights from 10pm - 12pm. Now, it won't even get 15 minutes of my attention.

I'll watch Smackdown as it airs occasionally, but usually when I've got some work to be doing with it on in the background.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #693 on: October 12, 2010, 04:58:41 AM »
I'm watching RAW right now. They have the talent. The Federation has such great wrestlers. They're all good looking as well. There's no story lines though. I think it could be better then ever if they just did a few things differently.

Uhhh, no they don't, champ. Their ratings are at an all time low for a reason.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #694 on: October 12, 2010, 05:21:18 AM »
Uhhh, no they don't, champ. Their ratings are at an all time low for a reason.

Agree with you.  Vince created this mess by basically taking away the "minor leagues" for talent to develop in.  Now they just sign guys based on a certain look who are athletic.  Some of the best wrestlers of all-time didn't fit either category...the key is being able to TELL A STORY during a match.....and to cut coherent promos to get people interested in the match.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #695 on: October 12, 2010, 05:50:06 AM »
Agree with you.  Vince created this mess by basically taking away the "minor leagues" for talent to develop in.  Now they just sign guys based on a certain look who are athletic.  Some of the best wrestlers of all-time didn't fit either category...the key is being able to TELL A STORY during a match.....and to cut coherent promos to get people interested in the match.
Like I said before, I would not pay to pennies to watch The Miz vs R-Truth in a "main event".

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #696 on: October 12, 2010, 05:57:49 AM »

That is a very astute observation.
Back when there were territories, guys could/had to develop their own characters, style and material.

Even as recent as the early part of this century, many wrestlers worked with creative on angles and what not because they could.

Seems like most guys on the roster today are simply assigned roles, characters, gimmicks, etc.
All of the thinking is done for them; oftentimes by writers with no pro-wrestling background to speak of.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #697 on: October 12, 2010, 06:06:42 AM »

Back when there were territories, guys could/had to develop their own characters, style and material.

Even as recent as the early part of this century, many wrestlers worked with creative on angles and what not because they could.

Seems like most guys on the roster today are simply assigned roles, characters, gimmicks, etc.
All of the thinking is done for them; oftentimes by writers with no pro-wrestling background to speak of.

Yep, certainly not as Arn used to say, keeping your "character" close to who you really are. Think about the Horsemen for example...they were exactly who they were on/off the air.  Of course it was cool to have the old-school characters, but those guys lived and breathed it  EX: Ivan Koloff's tattoo of the eagle with a sickle sticking thru it.....and Nikita changing his name officialy from Scott Simpson....

I do think what is partly to blame is that many of the young talent today grew up watching the Hogan/Vince cartoonish WWF and that is all they know.  

And something that ties in directly with this was what Johnny Valentine was quoted as saying...not word for word..."They may not believe wrestling is real, but I can damn sure make them believe I am real."

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #698 on: October 12, 2010, 06:45:01 AM »

Not only are they assigned roles but they are told what to say in promos too unless your like The Rock or even Roddy Piper back in the day.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #699 on: October 12, 2010, 07:02:00 AM »
Not only are they assigned roles but they are told what to say in promos too unless your like The Rock or even Roddy Piper back in the day.

Yeah, and back then, you had bookers (who were from a wrestling background) deciding on feuds and who would go over, etc., but more was left to the wrestlers insofar as how to get there.

Or, your booker would tell you to go do a 4-minute interview to put over an upcoming match, or feud, but the delivery was up to you.

Nowadays, everything is spoon-fed.
Characters are assigned.
Entire dialogues are written out.

I don’t think management trusts the current talent to manage those things, and rightfully so.
Most of the current crop never had a chance to develop those skills.