Author Topic: Industry News & Notes:  (Read 758672 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Industry News & Notes - Updated Weekly:
« Reply #725 on: October 15, 2010, 02:04:46 PM »
The following is from WWE.com:

WWE has come to terms on the release of Matt Hardy, effective as of October 15, 2010. WWE wishes Matt Hardy the best in his future endeavors.

Anyone surprised? Let's hope not!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #726 on: October 15, 2010, 02:05:59 PM »
Several WWE stars have privately indicated in recent weeks that they are contemplating leaving the organization—and the wrestling business altogether—once their current contracts expire.

Edge, who's current deal with World Wrestling Entertainment expires in two years, has been telling people that he may retire from the wrestling industry once it concludes.

One company insider noted that four other WWE stars have stated in recent weeks that they've completely lost their passion for wrestling, to such a degree that they vow to leave the business altogether once their contracts expire.

A fifth wrestler claims he will leave WWE once his current deal runs out, but will continue wrestling elsewhere.

We'll keep you posted as we get more but it's safe to say there are numerous talents within WWE who are very unhappy these days.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #727 on: October 17, 2010, 11:40:33 AM »
The following is from WWE.com:

WWE has come to terms on the release of Matt Hardy, effective as of October 15, 2010. WWE wishes Matt Hardy the best in his future endeavors.

Anyone surprised? Let's hope not!
I can't believe the apathy this is being met with. Granted, it wasn't a suprise, but the first time he was released the internet almost exploded. 5 years later and no one cares. Good riddance IMO.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #728 on: October 17, 2010, 12:10:18 PM »
I suspect some of the interest in his first departure concerned the circumstances surrounding it.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #729 on: October 17, 2010, 12:14:54 PM »
I suspect some of the interest in his first departure concerned the circumstances surrounding it.
That's true, but this one was kind of odd as well. He got sent home from a tour, the tweets, and all that other wierd behavior.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #730 on: October 18, 2010, 04:57:53 AM »
-- Josh Stewart of ESPN.com's "Page 2" is featuring a quote from former WWE star Dave Batista addressing why he made a decision to leave WWE and pursue a career in mixed martial arts.

On Why He Left WWE:

"I didn't agree with the direction the company was going in. It was geared more toward the PG rating. I fell in love with wrestling again in the late '90s with 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin and 'The Rock' Dwayne Johnson … It was edgy, and that was the kind of wrestling I knew and loved. It wasn't like that anymore, and my passion for it died a little bit."

On What He Tells People He Does Now:

"I just tell them I'm unemployed. They look at me kind of funny."

On Getting Punched For Real In MMA:

"I was also a bouncer for 10 years, so I've been punched in the face. I've punched people in the face. It's nothing new to me. As long as somebody doesn't send me into having surgery. I'm fine with it."

On A Possible Return To WWE:

"I'm hoping the cycle will come around again, and it'll get a little edgy and it'll be my time to come back and shine a little bit. I love kids. I'm not anti-kids. I just don't think kids are going to relate to me the same way they're going to guys like John Cena, guys who are, to me, more bubblegum. There's nothing bubblegum about me."

It should also be noted that there are 5 superstars thus far that want out of the WWE as well. Edge being one of them. Edge has 1 year left on his contract before he leaves. Many are fed up with the direction the WWE has taken.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #731 on: October 18, 2010, 06:56:55 AM »
As noted earlier here on the website, names that remain in discussion for next year's 2011 WWE Hall of Fame in Atlanta during Wrestlemania 27 weekend include Ron Simmons, Lex Luger and Bill Goldberg. There was also interest in inducting the Four Horseman as a group, but that would only depend on Ric Flair's availability and if he wasn't still signed with TNA after this year. The same discussion was made about Sting, but that again depends on his contractual status with TNA.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #732 on: October 18, 2010, 09:14:17 AM »
Bill Goldberg inducted into the WWE HOF????

Please tell me that's a joke.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #733 on: October 18, 2010, 10:23:14 AM »
Bill Goldberg inducted into the WWE HOF????

Please tell me that's a joke.
HOF is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

You think KoKo B.Ware should be in the HOF? Lol...

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #734 on: October 18, 2010, 11:31:07 AM »
HOF is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

You think KoKo B.Ware should be in the HOF? Lol...

But he was only in the WWE for one year. And his time in the WWE was less than stellar. At least Koko wrestled for the federation for many years.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #735 on: October 18, 2010, 11:41:19 AM »
But he was only in the WWE for one year. And his time in the WWE was less than stellar. At least Koko wrestled for the federation for many years.
He was in WCW from 1997-2001. WWE owns copy right to WCW footage / names, etc.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #736 on: October 18, 2010, 02:01:50 PM »
He was in WCW from 1997-2001. WWE owns copy right to WCW footage / names, etc.

I just don't agree that he should be inducted, by virtue of that.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #737 on: October 18, 2010, 03:59:13 PM »
Vince is gonna be on RAW tonight with a 'Special Announcement'.  What's the odds on him announcing the return of Attitude, and then putting the Bella's in a 'Topless Tittie Title' match?

No?  Dammit.

>:(

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #738 on: October 18, 2010, 08:54:28 PM »
So much for Vince.  How far will he let the ratings fall before he takes proper action?  They had a whole segment tonight about 'Stand up for the WWE' showing all the things they do, and how good the PG product is.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #739 on: October 19, 2010, 05:46:23 AM »
So much for Vince.  How far will he let the ratings fall before he takes proper action?  They had a whole segment tonight about 'Stand up for the WWE' showing all the things they do, and how good the PG product is.

That's because the McMahons are anticipating a full frontal assault from Linda's senate opponent these last few weeks of the race.
There is a very strong belief amongst many different people that the attack ads will prominently focus on the WWE product.

I honestly believe that this largely explains the switch to the PG product that we've seen for some time now.
The last I heard, there is about a three-point difference between the two candidates.
If Linda loses, I really don't know that she'll run again, so I can only estimate a predicted 50/50 chance that they'll switch WWE back to a more "attitude-esque" product.

If she wins, they may keep the product watered down until Linda decides either way on running for re-election.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #740 on: October 19, 2010, 07:36:24 AM »

That's because the McMahons are anticipating a full frontal assault from Linda's senate opponent these last few weeks of the race.
There is a very strong belief amongst many different people that the attack ads will prominently focus on the WWE product.

I honestly believe that this largely explains the switch to the PG product that we've seen for some time now.
The last I heard, there is about a three-point difference between the two candidates.
If Linda loses, I really don't know that she'll run again, so I can only estimate a predicted 50/50 chance that they'll switch WWE back to a more "attitude-esque" product.

If she wins, they may keep the product watered down until Linda decides either way on running for re-election.

the thing is, most people already have an opinion on it, or even if they have tried to clean it up, if you show old footage or allude to it, it will still do the damage.  Silly to not just say, "Hey it's entertainment...."  Kind of make a joke of the other guy by saying "Does he realize it's scripted, etc?"

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #741 on: October 19, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
VKM knows what he has and he knows what he can do. This next attitude era is going to be the best the show has ever seen! There's just so much talent in the Federation. Five belts would start the revolution. Heavyweith, IC, Tag tiles, and Divas belt. Come on VKM we know your reading this.
::) Keep dreaming.  ::)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #742 on: October 19, 2010, 08:16:49 AM »
the thing is, most people already have an opinion on it, or even if they have tried to clean it up, if you show old footage or allude to it, it will still do the damage.  Silly to not just say, "Hey it's entertainment...."  Kind of make a joke of the other guy by saying "Does he realize it's scripted, etc?"

I agree.
Linda and her campaign team have made comments to that effect - that it is "just TV.”

And, her opponent has already dug into the past, bringing up the matter of a govt. lien against her from some endeavor she pursued over 30 years ago.

I have mixed feelings about changing the product only now.
On one hand, it seems a little insincere; almost implying that you’re only doing it in an attempt to save face for your campaign.
Also, changing it - apparently for that reason - also comes across as an admission that conducting your business that way IS inappropriate.

But, on the other hand, I don’t know that it would look any better had they done nothing at all.
In fact, it may have been even more damaging from the simple public's perception.

Pro wrestling has always been that double-edged sword of sorts.
I really can’t think of any other form of entertainment or business in which the line between fact & fiction has been so blurred by people in and outside of the business.
That blurring is usually done to suit the individual’s case/agenda, and I think that, even today, there are plenty of people who simply can’t decide how to interpret the product.

Sad, but true, in too many cases.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #743 on: October 19, 2010, 08:49:46 AM »
source: wrestlezone.com

WrestleZone has exclusively learned that in more than one creative meeting over the past two weeks, WWE Chairman Vince McMahon has informed the writers that he wants Smackdown to be "treated as the number one brand," including opening up the possibility of more trades in order to strengthen the brand.

McMahon feels that a sub-par rating for Smackdown on SyFy would injure WWE's standing with NBC-U, who McMahon is looking to for help in launching the proposed WWE Network. While some on the writing staff are actually trying to come up with scenarios that would include trades or Smackdown getting more exposure (like winning the battle royal tonight on Raw), others on the writing staff have not jumped at this latest "fire alarm" (as a creative team member described it tonight), saying "this is just how Vince reacts to pressure. He says this about all major groups and factions."

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #744 on: October 19, 2010, 10:17:36 AM »
He has a house in East Hampton. A lot of my people say that they have seen him and the rest of the VKM clan. And everyone has said they're very friendly and talk to you. I've never seen them in town, at Main Beach, or any of the events I cater. But I'll run into them eventually. Timmy will get to the bottom of this.
The WWE has not been the same and will not be what it was prior to the Benoit double murder suicide. It drew way to much negitive media attention just like in the early - mid ninties with the sex / steroid scandals. Vince almost went to prison and doesn't want and cannot afford to garner that kind of attention.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #745 on: October 19, 2010, 03:13:36 PM »
He has a house in East Hampton. A lot of my people say that they have seen him and the rest of the VKM clan. And everyone has said they're very friendly and talk to you. I've never seen them in town, at Main Beach, or any of the events I cater. But I'll run into them eventually. Timmy will get to the bottom of this.

Try not to "mark out" too much!
 ;D

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #746 on: October 20, 2010, 04:46:30 AM »
He has a Mansion in Stanford, Conn. A Penthouse in NYC & a house in Boca Raton, Florida.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #747 on: October 24, 2010, 12:51:14 PM »
Maybe he rents a place in the Hamptons then? My people tell me they see him around. Shane O' Mac and Steph as well. I have never seen any of them.

George Costanza has a place in the Hamptons.....thats where he keeps Prickly Pete.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #748 on: October 25, 2010, 05:22:38 AM »
Team 3D has signed a new lucrative deal with TNA. WWE has been contacting them to come back to revitalize their tag team division but they flat out turned it down more likely do to the travel schedual.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #749 on: October 25, 2010, 10:32:27 AM »
Team 3D has signed a new lucrative deal with TNA. WWE has been contacting them to come back to revitalize their tag team division but they flat out turned it down more likely do to the travel schedual.

IIRC, they didn't part on the best of terms?

Still, money's money, and I can only think of two people who would/will always say no to a WWE paycheck based on principle.
 :-\