Author Topic: Industry News & Notes:  (Read 758678 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Industry News & Notes - Updated Weekly:
« Reply #850 on: December 02, 2010, 04:35:03 AM »
That's got to be one of the worst ideas they've ever had.
And one of the major reasons why know one is really tuning in to watch anymore. They went from having non-stop sold out shows including house shows (non-televised events) with three separate tours in the eighties to struggling to get 4,000 crowd capacity crowds in the ninties due to steroid & sex scandal & people jumping ship to WCW for way more money to recent programming with lame storylines that would make a 5 yr old cringe.

marcie999

• Getbig III
  • History is written by buggers who weren't there
« Reply #851 on: December 02, 2010, 06:07:32 AM »
And one of the major reasons why know one is really tuning in to watch anymore. They went from having non-stop sold out shows including house shows (non-televised events) with three separate tours in the eighties to struggling to get 4,000 crowd capacity crowds in the ninties due to steroid & sex scandal & people jumping ship to WCW for way more money to recent programming with lame storylines that would make a 5 yr old cringe.

This. And lately I don't even tune in, or wander off while it's on which is a very bad sign. We should be riveted.

But the only way is up.

We hope.

:-\
Ripleeeyyyyyyyyyyy

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #852 on: December 02, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »
Released WWE star MVP has posted the following on his Twitter page:

"No need for alarm. I did not get fired. I asked for & received my release. I felt it was time to go international & freshen things up."

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #853 on: December 02, 2010, 06:12:42 PM »
According to PWTorch.com, TNA Wrestling recently asked former WCW Champion Diamond Dallas Page to return to the company.
Page, who is now 54, had a brief run with TNA back in 2005.
He reportedly turned down the offer, as he is currently working as an actor, motivational speaker and fitness guru, and has no desire to return to wrestling at this time.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #854 on: December 02, 2010, 06:13:32 PM »
Jeff Hardy will be returning to a Moore County Supreme Court in North Carolina next week where he will once again be facing the following drug charges: conspiracy to traffic in Opium, trafficking in Opium by possession, two counts of possession with Intent to Distribute, felony possession of cocaine, felony maintaining a controlled substance in a vehicle/dwelling/place and misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia.

credit: wrestlezone.com

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #855 on: December 02, 2010, 06:15:52 PM »
The Wrestling Observer is reporting that the mood was said to be "night and day" in terms of Triple H's presence at the WWE events recently held in Europe.
Since Vince McMahon was unable to attend the events, Triple H was largely in charge, and the announce team noticed a big difference in terms of the way they were produced as opposed to when Vince runs the show.
Things were said to be much quieter as HHH didn't have much to say to the announcers while producing them, while it's no secret that Vince is very vocal when producing the announcers, often times screaming and cursing at them.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #856 on: December 02, 2010, 06:16:37 PM »
It's being reported that WWE producer/agent Dean Malenko's heart procedure, which was conducted last week, was to have a stent inserted.

credit: The Wrestling Observer

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #857 on: December 03, 2010, 06:14:01 AM »
And the hits just keep on coming...

MVP posted the following on his twitter…

We all have many dreams. Realizing one sometimes prevents you from realizing another. Decisions must be pondered & made ! Stand by …

No need for alarm. I did not get fired . I asked for & received my release. I felt it was time to go international & freshen things up.

WWE confirmed the release with the following…

World Wrestling Entertainment has come to terms on the release of WWE Superstar MVP as of December 2, 2010. WWE wishes MVP the best in all future endeavors.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #858 on: December 03, 2010, 07:19:08 AM »
MVP's career was going nowhere fast in the WWE. Like many other talents on that roster, he bailed and i'm sure there is more to come. Jericho left, MVP left, a few would-be prospects from OVW left. Edge said when his contract is up that he is bailing. Everyone is fed up of how things are running over there.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #859 on: December 03, 2010, 03:33:35 PM »
They look like the Neely's.

Holy Shit!!
I just saw it now!!

ROFLMAO!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #860 on: December 03, 2010, 06:27:23 PM »
TNA star Hulk Hogan posted the following on his Twitter account:

"Trying to decide if I should do the new version of Hogan Knows Best? What do u guys think? It would be me, Jennifer and what's really going on with my new life and my relationship with my kids. The shoot version."

marcie999

• Getbig III
« Reply #861 on: December 04, 2010, 03:08:59 AM »
MVP's career was going nowhere fast in the WWE. Like many other talents on that roster, he bailed and i'm sure there is more to come. Jericho left, MVP left, a few would-be prospects from OVW left. Edge said when his contract is up that he is bailing. Everyone is fed up of how things are running over there.

He is stuck the same way as Booker T was. Ex bad guy made good, transcended his fall and became a superstar yada yada yada. But no way was he ever going to wear the belt. Vince wouldn't allow it.

MVP was like a cooler Santino Marella. Gimmick for pops but no plans for him except being acceptable filler before the "important matches." Wonder what he is going to do now?

Jericho had/has more to offer. Hope Triple H goes away so he can get a chance.

Edge leaving huh? Interesting. He has more on offer to him than most of the locker room so I reckon it must be due to injuries. His body breaks a lot, and needs scads of time to heal. Hope it's not for acting, he really sucked in that heinous Highlander movie he was in. It sucked bad too.

The horror.

??? ???
Ripleeeyyyyyyyyyyy

marcie999

• Getbig III
« Reply #862 on: December 04, 2010, 03:14:09 AM »
TNA star Hulk Hogan posted the following on his Twitter account:

"Trying to decide if I should do the new version of Hogan Knows Best? What do u guys think? It would be me, Jennifer and what's really going on with my new life and my relationship with my kids. The shoot version."

I went out of my way to avoid the first one. This one will go the same way if it dares see light of day. As for the shoot version, does that mean they will show him injecting himself with his "vitamins?"

Wrestlers need to cultivate a bit more mystery. Especially the Hulk.

:(
Ripleeeyyyyyyyyyyy

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
  • My power is discombobulatingly & devastating!
« Reply #863 on: December 04, 2010, 10:01:29 AM »
The Miz's Cast Member From MTV Show Comments On WWE Champion's Success
By Amish Patel
Dec 3, 2010 - 4:51:43 PM

Credit - Alfonso A. Castillo (PWInsider.com) and Newsday

- As most fans know, WWE Champion The Miz began his television career as a cast member on MTV's Real World 10: Back to New York.

Among The Miz's fellow cast members that season was Malik Cooper, who now lives in the Bay area and has runs his own printing company, clothing line and production studio.

I reached out to Malik to ask him what he thought about his old room mate, who he knew best as Mike Mizanin, going on to winning pro wrestling's most prestigious title.

Here's what he said:

"I am so proud of Mike not just for wining the WWE belt, but for following his dream of being a wrestler in the first place. When I first met Mike I thought being a wrestler was a joke, but as I got to know him better I realized it was a life long goal of his. Mike was committed to this dream and worked so hard to get there, and I couldn't be more proud to be his friend."

I'm sure The Miz would find Malik's words quite "awesome" - except for the part where he called it a "belt." That's a big no-no in WWE.

Jim Ross On Whether He'd Return To WWE Again, Tyler Reks Has Nose Reset
By Amish Patel
Dec 3, 2010 - 4:32:59 PM

- On his Twitter account, Tyler Reks noted that he has had a deviated septum put back into shape. He suffered the blow while working in Turkey.

- During an interview with Monday Night Mayhem, Jim Ross was asked whether he would consider return to WWE on a full-time basis if Vince McMahon approached him. His response:

"Of course. I'm open to doing anything for the company that has employed me since 1993 wants me to do. I get e-mails almost everyday from people wondering if I even have a job or why did we take myself off the air, or why are refusing to go back on TV. Things are so misguided, and they're so inaccurate. I am very happily employed by WWE. I'm very pleased to be with the company since '93, and obviously if I'm 'out in the bullpen,' and they need me to come in and play, I'll be more than happy to come out of the bullpen and go work. And if there's another area that the company needs for me to help in, I'll be more than willing to do that."

Reaction to MVP's Release & Possible Plans for Him, SmackDown, More
By Marc Middleton
Dec 3, 2010 - 5:48:18 AM

- WWE will return to Memphis, Tennessee on Sunday, January 9th at the FedEx Forum. Tickets are on-sale now.

- Matches for tonight's WWE SmackDown include Kane vs. Edge in a non-title match, Jack Swagger vs. Kofi Kingston in a #1 contender's match for the IC Title, Cody Rhodes vs. Chris Masters, Layla vs. Rosa Mendes and Drew McIntyre & Dolph Ziggler vs. Kaval & MVP, in what was MVP's final match with the company.

- MVP's WWE departure didn't come as a surprise to most within the company as he has talked about leaving for some time. MVP does have a 90-day non-compete clause with WWE and is talking on Twitter like he wants to wrestle in Japan.

WWE and Cena Up for Awards, Latest on Juan Cena, Linda McMahon
By Marc Middleton
Dec 3, 2010 - 5:43:21 AM

- It's being reported that Linda McMahon spent $97 per vote on her unsuccessful Senate campaign. This is the most per vote spent in the entire midterm elections.

- WWE and John Cena are finalists for several awards at the 2010 Mashable Awards. The fourth annual awards event “celebrates major innovations and achievements in the digital and social media landscape by companies, people and projects via an open, multilingual, international, community-nominated voting platform.”

You can vote online at mashable.com, onc per day in each category until December 15th. Results will be announced online at the 2011 International CES Convention in Las Vegas on January 6th. Here are WWE's nominations:

* WWE is a finalist for the “Must Follow Brand” award

* John Cena is a finalist for “Must Follow Personality” and “Most Influential Social Good Champion.”

* Stand Up For WWE is a finalist for “Most Creative Social Media Campaign.”

- While WWE has pulled the Juan Cena character from upcoming RAW events, he is still being advertised for new shows as well. Juan is scheduled to face Wade Barrett on January 21st at the RAW event in Trenton, New Jersey at the Sun National Bank Center.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #864 on: December 04, 2010, 10:03:49 AM »
WWE Star Says He Has Been Granted His Release from the Company
By Marc Middleton
Dec 2, 2010 - 5:39:20 PM

- It appears WWE has released MVP from his contract. Below are quotes from his Twitter this evening:

"We all have many dreams. Realizing one sometimes prevents you from realizing another. Decisions must be pondered & made ! Stand by ...

No need for alarm. I did not get fired . I asked for & received my release. I felt it was time to go international & freshen things up.

They're not screwing me this time. They're actually DOING RIGHT by me ! They've honored MY request."

WWE Star Says He Has Been Granted His Release from the Company
By Marc Middleton
Dec 2, 2010 - 5:39:20 PM

- It appears WWE has released MVP from his contract. Below are quotes from his Twitter this evening:

"We all have many dreams. Realizing one sometimes prevents you from realizing another. Decisions must be pondered & made ! Stand by ...

They're not screwing me this time. They're actually DOING RIGHT by me ! They've honored MY request."

Report On Stevie Richards' Future In TNA, Hulk Hogan Update, Jesse Neal Speaks
By Daniel Pena
Dec 2, 2010 - 11:01:39 AM

-- Stevie Richards worked with wrestlers who received tryout matches prior to the last set of iMPACT! tapings. Many feel this could be his new role with TNA Wrestling due to the EV2 faction disbanding. However, one source hasn't ruled out the possibility that some of the EV2 wrestlers could be brought back once Dixie Carter regains control of the company on television.

-- Hulk Hogan was moving around backstage at a recent set of television tapings than he was at Bound For Glory. He's still in noticeable pain and moves gingerly, but he was in such bad shape at the October pay-per-view that most everyone kept away from him.

-- TNA Today is back with an all-new edition featuring TNA Knockout SoCal Val interviewing a fan favorite in the organization, Jesse Neal.

Raven Upset About Being Booted From TNA, Wrestlers Lied To About Bischoff's Son
By Daniel Pena
Dec 2, 2010 - 11:31:41 AM

-- Raven was said to be legitimately upset over TNA Wrestling writing him out of television recently. On a recent episode of iMPACT!, he was forced to put his employment on the line in a match against World Heavyweight Champion Jeff Hardy. Hardy won the match and Raven was booted from the company as a result. His release from the company is legitimate.

Though he was written out of television, he then worked the opening match of a live event in Nashville, beating AJ Styles clean with a DDT. It is said that TNA is having wrestlers parting ways with the company go over in their final matches to keep them happy and motivated.

-- The fact that new referee Jackson James is the son of Eric Bischoff was guarded even backstage at the Turning Point pay-per-view and subsequent television tapings. Garrett Bischoff trained at the Nasty Boys wrestling school in Florida before debuting in TNA Wrestling. It was not a secret to people at the school that he is Bischoff's son, but TNA talent were lied to by company officials even after the news surfaced online.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #865 on: December 04, 2010, 10:10:01 AM »
Juan Cena Character Done Already?, Kidd vs. Smith on Superstars & More
By Marc Middleton
Dec 2, 2010 - 9:30:11 AM

- Matches for tonight's WWE Superstars include Tyler Reks vs. Trent Baretta, William Regal vs. Darren Young and David Hart Smith vs. Tyson Kidd.

- It's said that Jamie Keyes' appearance on Tuesday's NXT was a one-time thing and she is not being re-hired by the company.

- WWE may have nixed the Juan Cena character after some new promotional material for upcoming live events no longer lists him as appearing. At some events, Edge is replacing Juan in the main events. As noted before, Juan's debut at the WWE live event on Sunday was considered a trial run but they did have plans to use the character.

WWE Still Want Brock Lesnar For WrestleMania, Update On The Situation
By Amish Patel
Dec 2, 2010 - 7:57:48 AM

- WWE has not given up on the idea of bringing in Brock Lesnar for WrestleMania, even though his contract status with UFC would make this very unlikely.

The mention of Brock Lesnar on RAW multiple times isn't something that Vince McMahon would allow to happen by accident, according to Dave Meltzer. It is believed that Lesnar himself wants to make the appearance and his camp are hopeful that Dana White will change his mind.

Coincidently, Lesnar's autobiography is also scheduled for release around the time of WrestleMania on April 19th.

WWE Head-To-Head with UFC This Weekend, WWE DVD Updates & More
By Marc Middleton
Dec 2, 2010 - 12:50:57 AM

- WWE shipped 249,000 DVD units in the month of October, which is down from previous months. The top four selling DVD's this year are WrestleMania 26 at 256,000 units, The Undertaker's DVD at 145,000 units, Shawn Michaels' DVD at 138,000 units and the Royal Rumble DVD with 126,000 units.

- WWE has announced Kane vs. Edge vs. Big Show in a cage match, Rey Mysterio vs. Alberto Del Rio, Dolph Ziggler vs. MVP, Drew McIntyre vs. Kaval, Cody Rhodes vs. Kofi Kingston, Jack Swagger vs. Chris Masters and LayCool vs. Natalya & Beth Phoenix for their annual holiday show at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey on Thursday, December 30th.

- WWE and UFC will be running head-to-head in Las Vegas this Saturday night as UFC will have a show at The Palms and WWE will have a Supershow at The Orleans Arena, the company's debut in that building. WWE's rosters will be split that night as part of the crew will be in Vegas and the other half will be at another Supershow in Jackson, Tennessee.

RAW and SmackDown stars set for the Vegas show include Edge, Wade Barrett with Nexus, The Miz, Rey Mysterio, Alberto Del Rio, Cody Rhodes, Kaval, Dolph Ziggler, MVP, Kofi Kingston, Natalya and Layla. RAW and SmackDown stars for the Tennessee show include Kane, Daniel Bryan, Sheamus, John Morrison, Mark Henry, Drew McIntyre, Jack Swagger, Maryse and Alicia Fox.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #866 on: December 05, 2010, 02:03:09 PM »
Curtis Iaukea, a Hawaii sports legend as a high school athlete and later a pro wrestler, died yesterday after a long illness.

"He died peacefully, with family around him," his son, Rocky, told the Star-Advertiser, last night. "At his home in Papakolea."

Iaukea was 73.

Iaukea starred in sports at Punahou, and then at the University of California, where he received an award for standing out on offense and defense.

He went on to a year in the NFL with the Oakland Raiders and several seasons in the CFL.

But his biggest claim to fame came as a pro athlete in wrestling, where he was known as "King Curtis Iaukea," and Curtis "Da Bull" Iaukea.

Iaukea, who stood 6 feet 5 and weighed 350 pounds, was one of the main headliners who made the 1960s and 1970s the golden age of pro wrestling in Hawaii.

He, along with promoter Ed Francis (father of former NFL great Russ Francis), "King Ripper" Collins and "Handsome" Johnny Barend made 50th State Big Time Wrestling must-see TV during its time with its wild and captivating locker room interviews and antics, much like what's seen in the WWE.

Iaukea would oftentimes hold his interviews in sunglasses with his broad back to the camera.

Iaukea's signature move in the ring was the "Big Splash," where he would launch himself onto a fallen opponent for a pin.

He also had a successful concession in Waikiki.

"He was a pioneer of the modern-day beach stand. He was a visionary in many ways," said his son. "His accomplishments went beyond football and wrestling."

Rocky said his father had not been well for a while.

"He was originally crippled from wrestling in 1979," he said. "Over the last year things accelerated, but his health problems started a long time ago."

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #867 on: December 06, 2010, 04:25:34 AM »
Curtis Iaukea, a Hawaii sports legend as a high school athlete and later a pro wrestler, died yesterday after a long illness.

"He died peacefully, with family around him," his son, Rocky, told the Star-Advertiser, last night. "At his home in Papakolea."

Iaukea was 73.

Iaukea starred in sports at Punahou, and then at the University of California, where he received an award for standing out on offense and defense.

He went on to a year in the NFL with the Oakland Raiders and several seasons in the CFL.

But his biggest claim to fame came as a pro athlete in wrestling, where he was known as "King Curtis Iaukea," and Curtis "Da Bull" Iaukea.

Iaukea, who stood 6 feet 5 and weighed 350 pounds, was one of the main headliners who made the 1960s and 1970s the golden age of pro wrestling in Hawaii.

He, along with promoter Ed Francis (father of former NFL great Russ Francis), "King Ripper" Collins and "Handsome" Johnny Barend made 50th State Big Time Wrestling must-see TV during its time with its wild and captivating locker room interviews and antics, much like what's seen in the WWE.

Iaukea would oftentimes hold his interviews in sunglasses with his broad back to the camera.

Iaukea's signature move in the ring was the "Big Splash," where he would launch himself onto a fallen opponent for a pin.

He also had a successful concession in Waikiki.

"He was a pioneer of the modern-day beach stand. He was a visionary in many ways," said his son. "His accomplishments went beyond football and wrestling."

Rocky said his father had not been well for a while.

"He was originally crippled from wrestling in 1979," he said. "Over the last year things accelerated, but his health problems started a long time ago."

I just read about this litterally. RIP to the big guy.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #868 on: December 07, 2010, 05:15:16 AM »
The Wrestling Observer is reporting that in response to alarmingly low Smackdown house show attendance figures as of late, WWE is experimenting with booking more "supershows" as opposed to brand only house show events. As seen this past weekend, both the Las Vegas and Bowling Green house show events featured superstars from both Smackdown and Raw, a tactic WWE is implementing to help bolster ticket sales.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #869 on: December 07, 2010, 05:19:15 AM »
The following are some new tweets from the official Twitter page of former WWE Superstar "Hurricane" Helms. The tweets are in reference to WWE legend Shawn Michaels:

"I wonder if I backstab a bunch of people and hurt careers and families and slaughter animals for fun but then pray onstage, that make it okay?"

Helms followed up by writing:

"Just wondering? :-) But enough about that hypocrite, I'm home after a great but hard working tour and got to catch up on my DVR's."

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #870 on: December 07, 2010, 05:20:27 AM »
The following are some new tweets from the official Twitter page of former WWE Superstar "Hurricane" Helms. The tweets are in reference to WWE legend Shawn Michaels:

"I wonder if I backstab a bunch of people and hurt careers and families and slaughter animals for fun but then pray onstage, that make it okay?"

"Just wondering? :-) But enough about that hypocrite, I'm home after a great but hard working tour and got to catch up on my DVR's."
And make no mistake about it that Helms hit the nail right in the head with that tweet.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #871 on: December 07, 2010, 02:53:06 PM »

On the latest episode of the Highway 2 Helms show, former WWE star "Hurrican" Shane Helms did not have kind words for Shawn Michaels. When co-host Marty Gardner asked Helms who his least favorite wrestler of all-time is, Helms answered Shawn Michaels. Helms noted that HBK was an idol of his when he grew up, but says that, "he really let me down as a person." Helms went on to say that Michaels is "the biggest hypocrite in the business" and that "his whole religious gimmick is a f***ing work".

Helms made sure to note that Michaels as a performer was great, mentioning his matches with Undertaker, but then called Michaels "cock-eyed cross-eyed piece of sh**."

From there, Helms told a story about being so angry at Michaels at a show last year that he wanted to hit him, not caring if he got fired by WWE over it. Michaels was apparently having an argument with Chris Jericho at catering and was verbally attacking Jericho, which Helms did not agree with. Helms also noted that Michaels is "one of the biggest drug users in the history of the business...who has snorted more coke and done more steroids" than anybody else in wrestling.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #872 on: December 07, 2010, 03:03:09 PM »
Credit: Pwinsider.com

- Goldust announced on his Twitter that he will be needing surgery on his shoulder, and that he will be "out for some time."

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #873 on: December 08, 2010, 05:28:13 AM »
As of this writing, Triple H isn’t expected back until early 2011. It could happen at the Royal Rumble pay-per-view. ‘H’ has been sidelined since April due a torn biceps tendon.

marcie999

• Getbig III
« Reply #874 on: December 08, 2010, 11:02:29 PM »
As of this writing, Triple H isn’t expected back until early 2011. It could happen at the Royal Rumble pay-per-view. ‘H’ has been sidelined since April due a torn biceps tendon.

He's going to keep breaking. Healing will take longer and be incomplete even with the best medical backup.

He won't get fired for it like any other poor schmuck though.

He's good for pops when he returns, but he can't perform day in and day out like the other wrestlers have to. Maybe gimmick runs for Wrestlemania etc, like the Undertaker, and then months to recover afterwards.

I've never liked him. Recall a Chuck Palumbo interview where he stole the idea of the cross on his tights. Cerebral Assassin indeed. Same calibre of human as Shawn Michaels.

:-X
Ripleeeyyyyyyyyyyy