Author Topic: Industry News & Notes:  (Read 758679 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Industry News & Notes - Updated Weekly:
« Reply #1075 on: February 11, 2011, 09:57:54 AM »
I agree with you guys.
No matter how good & successful HHH was prior to becoming "Mr. Stephanie McMahon," detractors will always dismiss the union as "the only reason" he made it.
 ::)

Yeah, it only helped, but he was a top guy WELL BEFORE THAT!!!
People who don't realize that are either too stupid to get it, or refuse to accept it for whatever reason(s).
Was watching his dvd yesterday when he came back from his first torn quad injury....guy was jacked!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1076 on: February 14, 2011, 03:37:02 PM »
According to various reports, Jerry Lawler's mother Hazel passed away on Sunday at the age of 90. Lawler's mother had reportedly been suffering from Alzheimer's disease for the last six years and her health had been declining in the last year. Arrangements are being made today at Family Funeral Care in Memphis. Lawler isn't expected at tonight's Monday Night Raw in Anaheim.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1077 on: February 15, 2011, 04:57:04 AM »
As you know by now, The Rock will host WWE’s WrestleMania 27 PPV on April 3rd, 2011.

During a promo on RAW, The Rock called out John Cena and said he wanted to see him face-to-face at the WrestleMania PPV. The Rock then mocked John Cena’s look and promos.

It’s very possible we’ll see The Rock wrestle in the near future. We’ll have a huge update on this later today. Check back to the website often. It’s gonna’ get busy!

Also for those asking about the ‘second’ person in the 2/21/11 video, it’s expected to be Triple H. A match between ‘Taker and Triple H has been talked about in recent weeks. Of course , this won’t stop the Sting to WWE rumors. Some of you guys commenting below are just plain nuts!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1078 on: February 17, 2011, 04:43:58 AM »
Some news / tidbits:

According to a former WWE writer, original creative plans called for the anonymous RAW General Manager to be revealed as Triple H. We can’t confirm that.

In other news Jack Swagger & Ted DiBiase are not in good terms with WWE management as of right now which explains them constantly loosing and or being but in dark matches. More on this shortly.

Michelle McCool suffered a foot injury as she wore a small foot brace and limped to the ring on Smackdown's tapings to commentate on a Layla match. She claimed her foot was "throbbing".

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1079 on: February 17, 2011, 04:51:38 PM »
– The Miami-Dade Sports Commission, Miami-Dade County, Miami Dolphins, Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau, and WWE announced Wednesday that Sun Life Stadium, home of the Dolphins and other world-class events, will host WWE’s annual pop culture extravaganza, WrestleMania XXVIII, on Sunday, April 1, 2012.

The announcement was made Wednesday at a press conference at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach. Miami-Dade County Commissioner and Chairman of the Miami-Dade Sports Commission Jose “Pepe” Diaz, Miami-Dade Sports Commission Executive Director Mike Sophia, Miami Dolphins CEO Mike Dee, former Dolphins Quarterback and NFL Hall of Famer Dan Marino, and Miami Dolphins limited partner and Grammy Award Winner Emilio Estefan, joined WWE Chairman and CEO Vince McMahon and WWE’s Senior Vice President of Special Events John Saboor in making the announcement. WWE Superstars John Cena, The Miz, Mark Henry and Alberto Del Rio, and WWE Diva Eve were also on hand for the announcement.

“Miami has always been the home of first class events, and this event will add to that legacy,” said Jose “Pepe” Diaz, Miami-Dade County Commissioner and Chairman of the Miami-Dade Sports Commission. “Hosting WrestleMania is a huge coup for Miami.”

“On behalf of WWE, I would like to thank Commissioner Diaz and all his colleagues for their support, and the Miami-Dade Sports Commission for graciously rolling out the red carpet to bring WrestleMania to one of the world’s most cosmopolitan cities,” said Vince McMahon, WWE Chairman and CEO. “We look forward to adding WrestleMania to the list of prestigious events held at Sun Life Stadium.”

“For nearly 25 years, Sun Life Stadium has played host to South Florida’s world class events that provide economic benefit to the entire community,” said Dolphins CEO Mike Dee. “We applaud the efforts of Commissioner Diaz and the Sports Commission on attracting WWE, and look forward to an unforgettable WrestleMania in 2012.”

WrestleMania is not just a one-day event; it’s a week-long celebration, as visitors from around the world are expected to converge on Miami for WrestleMania Week. Activities will include the 2012 WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, WrestleMania Axxess, the finals of the WrestleMania Reading Challenge and a Celebrity Pro-Am Golf Tournament. The pay-per-view event will be televised to more than 100 countries.

Over the past three years, WrestleMania and the events surrounding it has generated nearly $150 million in cumulative economic impact for the host cities. Last year, 72,219 fans from all 50 states and 26 countries converged on the University of Phoenix Stadium for WrestleMania XXVI.

mass 04

• Getbig V
Bret Hart Interview
« Reply #1080 on: February 17, 2011, 05:16:35 PM »
The Wrestling Press recently spoke to Bret Hart in an hour long interview, where the WWE Hall of Famer spoke indepth about his tell-all book Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling, his return to World Wrestling Entertainment last year after a long absence, his relationship with Vince McMahon, winning the United States Championship last May, and much more.

In regards to his return last year, he admits to worrying that WWE wouldn't give his legacy or fans the justice it deserves.

"I thought maybe when I come back that I would look at it and think I should have left it, why did I do it?" he said in reference to the 'Montreal Screwjob'. "For example if (Shawn Michaels) had been pompous to me or had blew me off then it would have bothered me a lot and then it could have ended up with round two. But Shawn was really sincere and very grateful for being able to bury the hatchet with me.

"For me that was real and (Vince McMahon) was real too me too, and I think in the end [my return] turned out to be a better idea than we thought it would be.

"I never had much in the ways of regret. WWE didn't have to hire me if they didn't like what I wrote about them in the book, but they accepted that I was honest and true.

"I always thought that the only thing stopping me from going back was my pride, and the main reason why I did return was that I needed a goal and to do something different. I like to think I am pretty secure in my life and my savings so that was never a deciding factor. It's been great rubbing shoulders with the likes of Randy Orton and all of these young guys. I didn't want to ride off into the sunset as an angry, bitter, damn you all to hell kind of guy, which I thought I was coming across as. In hindsight now that it is done, I have said what I have said and we should all move on. I don't hate the company. I don't hate Vince McMahon, I don't blame him for Owen's death, none of it. I wanted to take a negative and turn it into a positive and peace is always better than war."

He also discussed the contrasts between the WWE locker room of his day and today.

"They are completely different, the wrestlers of today," he said. "I don't even know if I could hang around with them they are so boring. They are like a bunch from a choir, they play video games and listen to their headphones, drink energy drinks and keep themselves to themselves. There is no beer drinking, no hell raising at all."

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1081 on: February 18, 2011, 05:35:41 AM »
The Undertaker vs. Triple H is currently penciled in as the main event for WrestleMania XXVII.

Many people within the company are saying that Triple H will put his career on the line against The Undertaker, with Shawn Michaels acting as the special guest referee. However, the stipulations of the match are not concrete. Another possibility is having Shawn Michaels as the special guest ref. 

Triple H has contemplated retiring in the near future, noting he’s 41 years old, has suffered a series of serious muscle tears, and is considered the heir apparent to Vince McMahon’s throne atop World Wrestling Entertainment.

The Undertaker is advertised for this Monday’s 2/21/11 RAW in Fresno, California.

– According to sources, absolutely nothing new has transpired since last week concerning Steve “Sting” Borden joining WWE. Sorry Sting marks!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #1082 on: February 18, 2011, 06:13:59 AM »
Triple H has contemplated retiring in the near future, noting he’s 41 years old, has suffered a series of serious muscle tears, and is considered the heir apparent to Vince McMahon’s throne atop World Wrestling Entertainment.

I always thought it would be a McMahon.
I always thought it would be a guy.
I always thought it would be Shane.

Wonder what Vince always thought?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1083 on: February 18, 2011, 06:18:01 AM »

I always thought it would be a McMahon.
I always thought it would be a guy.
I always thought it would be Shane.

Wonder what Vince always thought?
Maybe he had a tif with SHane. WHy else would Shane leave? That's the question I always had.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #1084 on: February 18, 2011, 06:24:13 AM »
I knew Terra Ryzing would someday run the biggest wrestling promotion in the world....  ;D

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1085 on: February 18, 2011, 06:26:46 AM »
I knew Terra Ryzing would someday run the biggest wrestling promotion in the world....  ;D
Apparently he has been in Conneticut at the head quarters learning all business aspects of the business and doing very well. Who knows.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #1086 on: February 18, 2011, 06:28:39 AM »
Maybe he had a tif with SHane. WHy else would Shane leave? That's the question I always had.

I have wondered the same thing from day 1 after Shane left.
Also, it sounds like Stephanie may be a tad difficult to work with, and it can be even worse in some ways when you add sibling rivalry to the mix.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1087 on: February 18, 2011, 06:40:52 AM »

I have wondered the same thing from day 1 after Shane left.
Also, it sounds like Stephanie may be a tad difficult to work with, and it can be even worse in some ways when you add sibling rivalry to the mix.
I know for a fact that Stephanie was very difficult to work with. Paul Heyman and her used to get into backstage tifs all the time over storylines.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #1088 on: February 23, 2011, 05:58:42 AM »
Dutch Mantell's 2nd book is now available.....I still don't have the first one, they are asking $22 for it on amazon, I'm waiting for a little cheaper.....but it is said to be a GREAT read about life on the road, etc....  2nd book sounds very similar.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1089 on: February 23, 2011, 09:40:04 AM »
Dutch Mantell's 2nd book is now available.....I still don't have the first one, they are asking $22 for it on amazon, I'm waiting for a little cheaper.....but it is said to be a GREAT read about life on the road, etc....  2nd book sounds very similar.

Very interesting. I'll have to keep my eye out for that book. Have you read Hogan's book yet?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #1090 on: February 23, 2011, 09:47:34 AM »
Very interesting. I'll have to keep my eye out for that book. Have you read Hogan's book yet?

No, I haven't read Hogans yet.  We have a HUGE used bookstore near me and I always look thru the biographies/wrestling books.  highest price you will pay on any of them is $5 or so. 

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1091 on: February 24, 2011, 05:13:35 AM »
No, I haven't read Hogans yet.  We have a HUGE used bookstore near me and I always look thru the biographies/wrestling books.  highest price you will pay on any of them is $5 or so. 
Holy shit!! 5 bucks? Walmart over here wanted 25 bucks for his book. Either way I think i'll buy it. I heard through various people that it is a really good read. Lots of road stories and he gets into the steroid trial and other aspects of the business which are very interesting.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #1092 on: February 24, 2011, 05:57:50 AM »
Holy shit!! 5 bucks? Walmart over here wanted 25 bucks for his book. Either way I think i'll buy it. I heard through various people that it is a really good read. Lots of road stories and he gets into the steroid trial and other aspects of the business which are very interesting.

I'll check to see if they have one.  Yeah, the store is one of those warehouse size places, and you can bring in your books for a trade-in....they only give you .50 or 1.00 for yours, but the prices are usually 3-5 dollars when you buy one.  So at least you get something back.  Great store....they have cd's and dvd's too.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1093 on: February 24, 2011, 06:52:12 AM »
I'll check to see if they have one.  Yeah, the store is one of those warehouse size places, and you can bring in your books for a trade-in....they only give you .50 or 1.00 for yours, but the prices are usually 3-5 dollars when you buy one.  So at least you get something back.  Great store....they have cd's and dvd's too.
Fuck man, Canada stinks for price tags on things sometimes. Our gas is a joke right now.....1.20. Joke.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #1094 on: February 24, 2011, 07:13:33 AM »
Fuck man, Canada stinks for price tags on things sometimes. Our gas is a joke right now.....1.20. Joke.

Do you guys have any used book stores?  I very rarely buy any new books, only for presents maybe, anymore.  And gas is around 3.15 US dollars here right now...

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1095 on: February 24, 2011, 07:23:41 AM »
Do you guys have any used book stores?  I very rarely buy any new books, only for presents maybe, anymore.  And gas is around 3.15 US dollars here right now...
Not that i'm aware of. Usually a paperback like Hart or Hogan's biography books will fetch for about 25-30 bucks brand new.

Gas is a complete joke now. I remember getting my license back in 1991 and paying only 25 bucks to fill my tank. Now I drop anywhere from 40-50 bucks per week.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #1096 on: February 24, 2011, 07:26:24 AM »
Not that i'm aware of. Usually a paperback like Hart or Hogan's biography books will fetch for about 25-30 bucks brand new.

Gas is a complete joke now. I remember getting my license back in 1991 and paying only 25 bucks to fill my tank. Now I drop anywhere from 40-50 bucks per week.

Oh man, I hear ya on the gas.....I remember as a teen putting $10 worth in and it actually doing something....

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1097 on: February 24, 2011, 07:27:29 AM »
Oh man, I hear ya on the gas.....I remember as a teen putting $10 worth in and it actually doing something....
10 bucks barely moves my needle.  :'(

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #1098 on: February 24, 2011, 07:28:35 AM »
10 bucks barely moves my needle.  :'(

If that was all the cash I had, I wouldn't even bother stopping.... haha

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1099 on: February 24, 2011, 07:31:44 AM »
If that was all the cash I had, I wouldn't even bother stopping.... haha
I got a 2005 supercharged Grand Prix so I chew thorough gas hard if I punch the car. Usually its pretty good on gas considering its a supercharged 3.8 litre V6 engine. I live close to work so that helps too.