Author Topic: Industry News & Notes:  (Read 758712 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Industry News & Notes - Updated Weekly:
« Reply #1175 on: March 24, 2011, 06:50:59 PM »
In a new interview posted on Yahoo.com, WWE star Mark Henry noted that he plans to retire from in-ring wrestling within the next 18 months. The following is an excerpt from the interview:
A relative veteran at 39, Henry says he will bow out within the next 18 months to leave at the top of his game despite having "a good three years left in me".
He's fought wrestling icons such as The Undertaker, teamed up with The Rock, and will next turn his combative attentions towards helping America's less fortunate children when he retires.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1176 on: March 24, 2011, 06:52:21 PM »
According to PWInsider.com, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper has canceled his planned comedy performances on 4/1 and 4/2 in Atlanta, Georgia in order to appear at events for WWE during the WrestleMania 27 weekend.
He will, however, still perform on 3/31 at The Punchline.
Piper announced yesterday that Sgt. Slaughter would appear at the event as well.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1177 on: March 24, 2011, 07:03:35 PM »
Sports.Yahoo.com has posted a new interview with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, in which he makes the following comments to The Associated Press concerning the possibility of wrestling another match:

"I’ve never said never," Rock said. "I’m open to it. For years when I was asked that, I kept my emotions very close to my sleeve."

"I would say, ‘No, I don’t see myself wrestling a match,’ because I didn’t want to leave that open too much. I wanted to make sure I was concentrating solely on my goals in acting. It’s ‘The People’s Era’ that’s getting ready to happen,” he said. “It’s just beginning."

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #1178 on: March 25, 2011, 05:19:37 AM »
In a new interview posted on Yahoo.com, WWE star Mark Henry noted that he plans to retire from in-ring wrestling within the next 18 months. The following is an excerpt from the interview:
Mark Henry had one of the sweetest deals that WWE had to offer. 2ea 10yr deals for a guaranteed 300,000 per year. Its was one of the WWE's first "gauranteed contracts second only to Brian Pillman back in 1996.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1179 on: March 25, 2011, 09:23:02 AM »
TNA star Rob Van Dam took a dig at WWE this week on Twitter: "DREW CAREY GETS INDUCTED INTO THE WWE HALL OF FAME. MAN, I'M GLAD I'M NOT A WWE WRESTLER."

Im glad you're not a WWE wrestler too.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1180 on: March 25, 2011, 09:33:36 AM »
Tommy Fierro's www.PoptheCrowd.com website reported that WWE filmed an angle yesterday at Miami Mike's Sports Zone in East Hanover, NJ.
In the angle, Lay-Cool enter a bar searching for Snooki and Trish Stratus, which leads to a bar room brawl involving the four. Lay-Cool end up being put through a table during the brawl. There's also a scene where Snooki punches out a guy trying to hit on her.

According to the Fierro site, Snooki showed up several hours late for the shoot, which was produced by Dave Finlay and Creative team member Ranjin Singh.

The website also noted that Snooki was telling those working at the bar that once Jersey Shore was done, she would be working for WWE full-time as a Diva.

The angle will air this Monday as part of the Wrestlemania go-home Raw.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1181 on: March 25, 2011, 12:06:34 PM »
Tommy Fierro's www.PoptheCrowd.com website reported that WWE filmed an angle yesterday at Miami Mike's Sports Zone in East Hanover, NJ.
In the angle, Lay-Cool enter a bar searching for Snooki and Trish Stratus, which leads to a bar room brawl involving the four. Lay-Cool end up being put through a table during the brawl. There's also a scene where Snooki punches out a guy trying to hit on her.

According to the Fierro site, Snooki showed up several hours late for the shoot, which was produced by Dave Finlay and Creative team member Ranjin Singh.

The website also noted that Snooki was telling those working at the bar that once Jersey Shore was done, she would be working for WWE full-time as a Diva.

The angle will air this Monday as part of the Wrestlemania go-home Raw.
And this is what they've resorted to in order to draw (or TRY to) ratings and viewers......wow...

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1182 on: March 25, 2011, 04:01:38 PM »
And this is what they've resorted to in order to draw (or TRY to) ratings and viewers......wow...
It's the last show before WM with the Rock advertised as being live...I don't really think it's for viewers, just setting up a filler match at WM.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1183 on: March 26, 2011, 01:41:45 PM »
WWE announcer/heel personality Michael Cole directed a gay slur at fellow announcer Josh Matthews on Twitter earlier today, and then issued an apology a short while later.

After tweeting a single word – “homo” – to Matthews, Cole – who plays up his heel character on Twitter – subsequently deleted it and apologized.

“I apologize to any and all who were offended by my tweet toward young Josh Mathews,” Cole wrote. “It was obviously not meant the way it was taken.”

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/wrestling/blog/2011/03/michael_cole_apologizes_for_using_gay_slur_on_twitter.html

getbig filters the actual word...use your imagination

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1184 on: March 28, 2011, 04:30:04 AM »
WWE announcer/heel personality Michael Cole directed a gay slur at fellow announcer Josh Matthews on Twitter earlier today, and then issued an apology a short while later.

After tweeting a single word – “homo” – to Matthews, Cole – who plays up his heel character on Twitter – subsequently deleted it and apologized.

“I apologize to any and all who were offended by my tweet toward young Josh Mathews,” Cole wrote. “It was obviously not meant the way it was taken.”

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/wrestling/blog/2011/03/michael_cole_apologizes_for_using_gay_slur_on_twitter.html

getbig filters the actual word...use your imagination
Oh my goodness....I can see the media frenzy now...

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #1185 on: March 28, 2011, 06:03:41 AM »
Your a mod....your involved by default!  :D

Some Jeff Hardy news:

According to the TNA promotional page, Jeff Hardy will not appear at any weekend events since his name has been removed. He had been listed as appearing previously.

Hardy does have a court date on his pending drug charges scheduled for April 20th and has not been used by TNA since the main event at Victory Road on 3/13.

LOL WOW a court hearing for drug charges on 4-20? LOL thats kind of ironic isn't it?

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1186 on: March 29, 2011, 07:40:09 AM »
lol i love these "backstage reports" ;D

Source: The Pro Wrestling Torch

Many within World Wrestling Entertainment feel that Michael Cole’s ego has gotten out of control in recent months. There have been reports of “The Voice of WWE” having tremendous heat amongst the locker room. In light of Cole’s Twitter miscue over the weekend, one company source gave his opinion on how the lead WWE announcer conducts himself behind the scenes.

“Is Cole getting a big head? HELL YES,” the source exclaimed. “Ever since he was reading the GM e-mails he started begging to become GM and walks around like his **** doesn’t stink. He has an opinion on everything.”

The source also indicated that Cole berates creative writers who hand him scripts, as he feels he can say whatever he wants on television. Many feel Cole’s on-screen persona has gone to his head as how he portrays himself on television reflects his behavior behind the scenes.

The source indicated that incidents such as his flagrant remark on Twitter would be cause for termination if Vince McMahon was looking for an excuse to release a talent. However, the organization has too much invested in the Jerry Lawler vs. Michael Cole program to abandon it.

When asked on Twitter some months ago, Jim Ross said he felt that Michael Cole’s on-air character was not too far off from his real personality. To say that the WWE wrestlers are missing Good Ol’ J.R. is an understatement.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1187 on: March 29, 2011, 10:03:31 AM »
WWE's John Cena is about to make a whole bunch of little wishes come true -- because TMZ has learned he's taking 30 kids from Make-A-Wish to WRESTLEMANIA!!!!!!

Reps from M.A.W. tell us 30 kids with "life-threatening medical conditions" from the U.S., Canada, and even Australia will attend Wrestlemania XVII this weekend in Atlanta.

But that's not all -- the kids will be going to a private autograph session with WWE Superstars and Divas ... and afterward, they'll hit a pizza party hosted by Cena!!!

We're told the M.A.W. Foundation also plans to honor John at the party for passing a huge milestone -- 200 wishes granted -- an honor shared by only three other celebs ... Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt Jr., and Hulk Hogan.

mass 04

• Getbig V
Report:Fit Finlay Released
« Reply #1188 on: March 29, 2011, 10:45:23 AM »
WWE RELEASES TOP BACKSTAGE NAME
by Mike Johnson @ 12:45 PM on 3/29/2011

World Wrestling Entertainment released their top Producer/Agent Dave Finlay yesterday, PWInsider.com has confirmed.

The story making the rounds is that The Miz was booked to come out an interrupt the national anthem during a house show in Champaign, IL over the weekend. There were a number of representatives for the National Guard, who are a HUGE partner and sponsor for WWE, in attendance. Obviously, they were not pleased with the anthem being used to get heel heat.

When word made it's way back to WWE management, the decision was made to release Finlay, who as the top Producer of the show, "had to fall on the sword", as it was described to me.

There were a lot of shocked people within the company today as word began to make the rounds among the wrestlers and staff. Finlay was well liked and more than a few people I spoke to hoped that it was a situation where he was let go only to be brought back down the line.

Finlay, a third generation wrestler, had been with the company from 2001 and was considered the top Producer backstage, with Arn Anderson directly behind him in the line of command. Finlay had long been given credit for the rise and improvement of the WWE Divas division over the last decade. He worked for several years behind the scene for the company before returning as a wrestler in a full-time role as well in 2006, mostly to help introduce the Hornswoggle character and work with younger talents that needed help in the ring. WWE had quietly retired him as a wrestler last year when the decision was made to go with younger faces on the television product.

Finlay had been wrestling since 1974. He was considered one of the top heels in Europe in the 1990s and also toured New Japan Pro Wrestling. He finally made his way to the United States during the Monday Night Wars for WCW as the "Belfast Bruiser
________________________ ________________________ ________________________ __________________-
If true, bullshit. ::)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1189 on: March 29, 2011, 11:54:50 AM »
WWE's John Cena is about to make a whole bunch of little wishes come true -- because TMZ has learned he's taking 30 kids from Make-A-Wish to WRESTLEMANIA!!!!!!

Reps from M.A.W. tell us 30 kids with "life-threatening medical conditions" from the U.S., Canada, and even Australia will attend Wrestlemania XVII this weekend in Atlanta.

But that's not all -- the kids will be going to a private autograph session with WWE Superstars and Divas ... and afterward, they'll hit a pizza party hosted by Cena!!!

We're told the M.A.W. Foundation also plans to honor John at the party for passing a huge milestone -- 200 wishes granted -- an honor shared by only three other celebs ... Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt Jr., and Hulk Hogan.

That's one more reason he's Vince's golden-child.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #1190 on: March 29, 2011, 01:35:56 PM »
...the kids will be going to a private autograph session with WWE Superstars and Divas ... and afterward, they'll hit a pizza party hosted by Cena!!!

That'll be an awesome atmosphere if Miz retains...  ;D

Playboy

• Getbig V
Re: Report:Fit Finlay Released
« Reply #1191 on: March 30, 2011, 08:00:25 AM »
Finlay was a very good wrestler and teacher/instructor backstage. Why the hell they would let him go is beyond me.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1192 on: March 30, 2011, 08:06:40 AM »
That'll be an awesome atmosphere if Miz retains...  ;D
I hope he does. Cena winning is way to predictable. I say he should retain and let their fued continue.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1193 on: March 30, 2011, 12:38:59 PM »
Finlay was a very good wrestler and teacher/instructor backstage. Why the hell they would let him go is beyond me.
It's stupid. I get that the National Guard is a big sponsor but to release him is ridiculous. How many times has a face interrupted antother countries national anthem? The woman's division which is awful now is going to be unwatchable with Finlay gone.. I hope it's like Danielson and they bring him back once it dies down.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1194 on: March 31, 2011, 08:51:50 AM »
It's stupid. I get that the National Guard is a big sponsor but to release him is ridiculous. How many times has a face interrupted antother countries national anthem? The woman's division which is awful now is going to be unwatchable with Finlay gone.. I hope it's like Danielson and they bring him back once it dies down.
Its all politics.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1195 on: March 31, 2011, 09:11:23 AM »
For the week ending March 20, TNA iMPACT! beat both WWE Monday Night RAW and WWE SmackDown! in the UK for the third consecutive week. According to the Broadcasters Audience Research Board, TNA iMPACT! on Challenge TV drew 157,000 viewers, down 6,000 viewers from the previous week. RAW on Sky Sports 3 drew 156,000 viewers while SmackDown! on Sky Sports 2 garnered 137,000. TNA’s Victory Road pay-per-view event outdrew all WWE programming and equaled iMPACT! viewership with 157,000.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #1196 on: March 31, 2011, 02:09:31 PM »
For the week ending March 20, TNA iMPACT! beat both WWE Monday Night RAW and WWE SmackDown! in the UK for the third consecutive week. According to the Broadcasters Audience Research Board, TNA iMPACT! on Challenge TV drew 157,000 viewers, down 6,000 viewers from the previous week. RAW on Sky Sports 3 drew 156,000 viewers while SmackDown! on Sky Sports 2 garnered 137,000. TNA’s Victory Road pay-per-view event outdrew all WWE programming and equaled iMPACT! viewership with 157,000.

If it is on Challenge, then that would explain the ratings, as Challenge is available on Freeview, which is a load of channels you can watch just by buying a bit of kit, no monthly subscriptions.  Whereas Sky Sports is about £45 per month.  Still a bit odd though, cos I don't know a single person who watches TNA.  I did for a while when Hogan took over, but it got pretty boring pretty quickly.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1197 on: April 01, 2011, 07:56:53 AM »
If it is on Challenge, then that would explain the ratings, as Challenge is available on Freeview, which is a load of channels you can watch just by buying a bit of kit, no monthly subscriptions.  Whereas Sky Sports is about £45 per month.  Still a bit odd though, cos I don't know a single person who watches TNA.  I did for a while when Hogan took over, but it got pretty boring pretty quickly.
I would imagine most viewers are the original NWA fans in the southern regions of the states. I watch it because I just like wrestling and its a nice alternative to WWE programming.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1198 on: April 01, 2011, 12:25:56 PM »
During an interview with the Pro Wrestling Torch, ex-WWE creative team member John Piermarini suggested that Randy Orton is being held back:

“Randy Orton would have been the perfect adversary for “Stone Cold” Steve Austin in the Attitude Era. I think he would have worked great there. I think he can work now, I just think Randy Orton is almost – the way we wanted to do it was, “Look, the kids have got John Cena and the 18-year-olds have Randy Orton.”
The thing is, what really made Stone Cold work was Stone Cold did things you wanted to do but you never could. You almost lived through Stone Cold. Randy – and it’s not his fault because it’s us not giving it to him – but Randy doesn’t have the chance to do that.

Randy has done amazing with his character and I’m amazed with Randy almost every single week. I wish we gave him more to work with to really sort of get him into that creative sort of bad-ass yet PG Stone Cold. By no means do we want to make him Stone Cold Steve Austin, but that’s what made Stone Cold cool was doing those things, driving the beer truck. I wish they would give him things to do like that.”

- According to the Wrestling Observer Triple H is a big supporter of having a physical Hall of Fame building. It’s said that one of his goals for when he takes over from Vince is to make the Hall of Fame more legitimate.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1199 on: April 01, 2011, 01:14:49 PM »
During an interview with the Pro Wrestling Torch, ex-WWE creative team member John Piermarini suggested that Randy Orton is being held back:

“Randy Orton would have been the perfect adversary for “Stone Cold” Steve Austin in the Attitude Era. I think he would have worked great there. I think he can work now, I just think Randy Orton is almost – the way we wanted to do it was, “Look, the kids have got John Cena and the 18-year-olds have Randy Orton.”
The thing is, what really made Stone Cold work was Stone Cold did things you wanted to do but you never could. You almost lived through Stone Cold. Randy – and it’s not his fault because it’s us not giving it to him – but Randy doesn’t have the chance to do that.

Randy has done amazing with his character and I’m amazed with Randy almost every single week. I wish we gave him more to work with to really sort of get him into that creative sort of bad-ass yet PG Stone Cold. By no means do we want to make him Stone Cold Steve Austin, but that’s what made Stone Cold cool was doing those things, driving the beer truck. I wish they would give him things to do like that.”

- According to the Wrestling Observer Triple H is a big supporter of having a physical Hall of Fame building. It’s said that one of his goals for when he takes over from Vince is to make the Hall of Fame more legitimate.

He can start by not allowing idiots that have nothing to do with wrestling like Pete Rose get inducted.