Author Topic: Industry News & Notes:  (Read 758676 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Industry News & Notes - Updated Weekly:
« Reply #1250 on: April 11, 2011, 06:44:21 PM »
And then some!

Monty, do I have some stories for you.....

I thoroughly enjoyed those; thank you very much!

I hope you enjoyed what I sent you.
 ;)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #1251 on: April 12, 2011, 05:27:03 AM »

I thoroughly enjoyed those; thank you very much!

I hope you enjoyed what I sent you.
 ;)
Absolutely!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1252 on: April 13, 2011, 03:32:11 PM »
Good lord lol

official list that is sent to other countries to keep them up-to-date on terminology for voiceover purposes:
Wrestling Observer:
BANNED: Catch, Wrestling
APPROVED: WWE

BANNED: Catchers, Wrestlers
APPROVED: WWE Superstars

BANNED: Sports
APPROVED: Entertainment or Action Soap Opera

BANNED: Athletes, Sportsmen
APPROVED: "Entertainers with tremendous athletic prowess"

BANNED: Fight
APPROVED: Match, Bout

BANNED: Fighting
APPROVED: Action

Also, the memo has three "key soundbites" for voiceovers to communicate:

1) WWE is pure entertainment.
2) WWE is an action soap opera.
3) WWE Superstars are entertainers with tremendous athletic prowess.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #1253 on: April 13, 2011, 04:01:40 PM »
TNA should really capitalise on this nonsense.  If they started using a tagline like 'The No. 1 WRESTLING show on TV...' or 'TNA, the home of WRESTLING...', they could emphasise the fact that Vince seems to be ashamed of being associated with the word.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1254 on: April 14, 2011, 05:29:18 AM »
The bright side is coming. I've watched the last Mania like ten times. It wasn't that bad. We're just in a rut. I learned what being a true fan is through my Brother. Guys been loyal to the NY teams through win and loss. There's major change going on here. Flair, Batista, HBK, Undertaker, HHH, Edge, and JR. All these draws are gone. Or gonna be gone soon. Next Mania is a big nut to be busted. Taker 20. Cena/Rock. There's no other option then another Attitude Era. Patience.....
That's just it. The draws are gone. I've said it before and i'll keep on saying it, Cena may be the WWE's top dog right now but he is no Hulk Hogan, Rock, Steve Austin or Ric Flair.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1255 on: April 14, 2011, 12:52:04 PM »
There are no draws anymore...if you wanted to see Hogan you either had to go to a house show, buy a ppv, or catch a rare tv appearance....it was something special. You see these guys on tv every week or sometimes twice a week and on ppv's once a month. The company is the draw now, not a specific wrestler.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1256 on: April 14, 2011, 03:02:52 PM »
That's just it. The draws are gone. I've said it before and i'll keep on saying it, Cena may be the WWE's top dog right now but he is no Hulk Hogan, Rock, Steve Austin or Ric Flair.

And, as I've said before: being the top dog in WWE, now, is like being the Valedictorian of summer school.

There are no draws anymore...if you wanted to see Hogan you either had to go to a house show, buy a ppv, or catch a rare tv appearance....it was something special. You see these guys on tv every week or sometimes twice a week and on ppv's once a month. The company is the draw now, not a specific wrestler.

And, that's EXACTLY what the old man wanted as far back as when he began changing the marquee signs to read "WWF" instead of the wreslters' names.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1257 on: April 14, 2011, 04:58:20 PM »
PW Insider

Former WCW and ECW star Scotty "Riggs" Anton has been hospitalized in Georgia with what is believed to be bleeding ulcers. He is undergoing a procedure today to locate the source of the bleeding.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1258 on: April 15, 2011, 05:08:25 AM »
What's really sad now is that house shows stink. I remember back in the eighties we had a house show once a month here in Toronto (thanks to Jack Tunney) and no matter who was on the card, the card was excellent and the wrestlers wrestled as if they were on a PPV. Go to a house show now......I went to a Smackdown house show a couple of months ago (just because) and they where forced to wrestle in a 10,000 person capacity bldg with only 5,000 people attending and the card itself stunk. The main event was Kofi Kingston against Kane. Complete joke. In order to enjoy a good wrestling card now you have to attend a PPV or a Raw live televised event.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1259 on: April 18, 2011, 12:07:38 PM »
I would think Cena has it pretty good. Now Edge is gone for good. Taker is gone next year. Two left HHH and Cena. Orton can't carry the Federation. When it's time for Cena to re-new his contract he can ask for anything he wants. Playboy says he's no Hogan, Rock, 3:16, or Flair. I don't know much. But Cena has got to be one of VKM's biggest cash cows he's ever had. He's sitting pretty. Cena is the Federation.
Cena had done very well for himself and more importantly, he's kept his nose clean and out of trouble so far. Personally, i'm not a fan of his nor will I ever be. IMO there were way better people carrying the torch in the past. I liked Austin. Rock was good. Hogan was king in the eighties / early ninties (in the WWE), Flair was the man in the eighties all over the world. To me, Cena just cannot fill those shoes. No way, Jose.

Chef, I was in NYC this past weekend visiting family in Long Island. Very nice city. Concrete jungle 100%. I spend a lot of time in Greenwich Village. Spent a lot of money too!  :)

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1260 on: April 19, 2011, 04:47:16 AM »
I've lived all over the World. There's so many nicer places to be. But for me and what I do. NYC is the best place to be. They say there's 5 women for every man. Place goes off! Dude you should have come to Midtown to train.
Its a huge fun city. My buddy took me everywhere that he could in the two day span that I was there. I had a blast. Time square is really nice.  :)

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1261 on: April 19, 2011, 04:48:00 AM »
WWE sent out the following press release this afternoon:

WWE 2011 WWE® DRAFT TAKES OVER MONDAY NIGHT RAW, Monday, APRIL 25 AT 9/8c

The entire roster of WWE Superstars and Divas will take part in the 2011 WWE Draft next week, April 25, on MONDAY NIGHT RAW live on USA Network at 9/8c.

In a thrilling night of television, all WWE Superstars and Divas, including WWE Champion The Miz, John Cena, Randy Orton, Rey Mysterio, Big Show, Alberto Del Rio and Sin Cara along with WWE Divas Champion Brie Bella, Eve and Kelly Kelly could be drafted to either RAW or SmackDown.

After Monday Night’s momentous draft, John Cena could be on “Friday Night Smackdown,” which airs each week on Syfy at 8/7c and Rey Mysterio could be coming to MONDAY NIGHT RAW.

The Annual WWE Draft is a chance to renew old rivalries or have WWE Superstars face off against each other for the very first time, bringing a new and fresh feel to each show.

For more details on the WWE Draft, log onto www.wwe.com.

I said it before and I will keep saying it...they need to lose this draft BS and mix up the shows.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1262 on: April 19, 2011, 08:11:34 AM »
pw insider:

By Mike Johnson on 2011-04-19 10:20:01
Former WWF and WCW star Jim Neidhart was arrested yesterday for driving without a license and for operating an unregistered vehicle after being pulled over at 1800 Orient Road in Tampa, Florida. Neidhart was released after paying a $750 surety bond.
On Labor Day 2010, Neidhart was arrested in Thonotosassa, Florida after deputies were alerted to him being loud and yelling as he attempted to open a pill bottle while pumping gas. Neidhart was argumentative with the authorities, leading to them patting him down and finding 28 methodone tablets and 95 oxycotin pills.

Several pill bottles in Neidhart's possession were belonging to a neighbor who had recently reported them stolen. The neighbor in question has told media and authorities that while she knew Neidhart, she had not given him permission to take their prescription medication and her back door had been recently forced open.

Neidhart was been charged with burglary of an unoccupied dwelling, grant theft (third degree - $300-$3,000), trafficking in illegal drugs (Methadone), possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute (Methodone), trafficking in illegal drugs (oxycotin) and possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute (Oxycontin). That case is still ongoing.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1263 on: April 19, 2011, 12:58:16 PM »
pw insider:

By Mike Johnson on 2011-04-19 10:20:01
Former WWF and WCW star Jim Neidhart was arrested yesterday for driving without a license and for operating an unregistered vehicle after being pulled over at 1800 Orient Road in Tampa, Florida. Neidhart was released after paying a $750 surety bond.
On Labor Day 2010, Neidhart was arrested in Thonotosassa, Florida after deputies were alerted to him being loud and yelling as he attempted to open a pill bottle while pumping gas. Neidhart was argumentative with the authorities, leading to them patting him down and finding 28 methodone tablets and 95 oxycotin pills.

Several pill bottles in Neidhart's possession were belonging to a neighbor who had recently reported them stolen. The neighbor in question has told media and authorities that while she knew Neidhart, she had not given him permission to take their prescription medication and her back door had been recently forced open.

Neidhart was been charged with burglary of an unoccupied dwelling, grant theft (third degree - $300-$3,000), trafficking in illegal drugs (Methadone), possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute (Methodone), trafficking in illegal drugs (oxycotin) and possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute (Oxycontin). That case is still ongoing.

Wow....now that is sad. You figure after a career in wrestling for so many years the guy would be resting and enjoying a nice retirement and the fruits of his labour. This will HURT Natalia's career....watch.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1264 on: April 19, 2011, 03:27:30 PM »
Wow....now that is sad. You figure after a career in wrestling for so many years the guy would be resting and enjoying a nice retirement and the fruits of his labour. This will HURT Natalia's career....watch.

Maybe not.
If Anvil was an active, public part of the company, then I'd say Nattie would be buried a bit as a result of this.
But, there may be enough distance between Jim & the Fed for (especially innocent) Nat to not experience any repercussions.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1265 on: April 19, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »
Cena had done very well for himself and more importantly, he's kept his nose clean and out of trouble so far. Personally, i'm not a fan of his nor will I ever be. IMO there were way better people carrying the torch in the past. I liked Austin. Rock was good. Hogan was king in the eighties / early ninties (in the WWE), Flair was the man in the eighties all over the world. To me, Cena just cannot fill those shoes. No way, Jose.

Chef, I was in NYC this past weekend visiting family in Long Island. Very nice city. Concrete jungle 100%. I spend a lot of time in Greenwich Village. Spent a lot of money too!  :)

In all fairness, though, times were very different for those guys.
Austin, Hogan, and co. had better "raw materials" to work with than guys like Cena & Bret.
The crowds, the talent, and the booking were all a lot more favorable then.

Maybe the hardest obstacle I see for Cena is that the landscape of the business has changed so dramatically from wrestling's glory years.
It would be interesting to see the effects of a Hogan/Austin (in their respective primes) on today's product.
I believe that a prime Hogan would beat Cena, but I have doubts that he could take this pile of shit they call programming to the heights of the 80's.

Hulkster was better, but he also had time/climate - and other things - on his side.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1266 on: April 20, 2011, 05:42:18 AM »

In all fairness, though, times were very different for those guys.
Austin, Hogan, and co. had better "raw materials" to work with than guys like Cena & Bret.
The crowds, the talent, and the booking were all a lot more favorable then.

Maybe the hardest obstacle I see for Cena is that the landscape of the business has changed so dramatically from wrestling's glory years.
It would be interesting to see the effects of a Hogan/Austin (in their respective primes) on today's product.
I believe that a prime Hogan would beat Cena, but I have doubts that he could take this pile of shit they call programming to the heights of the 80's.

Hulkster was better, but he also had time/climate - and other things - on his side.
A price to pay for firing:

Jim Cornette
Paul Heyman
Jim Ross (in his case not re-signing him to his old VP of talent relations position)

Those guys are so under rated with their storylines and creative ideas that it isn't even funny.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1267 on: April 20, 2011, 07:36:32 AM »
A price to pay for firing:

Jim Cornette
Paul Heyman
Jim Ross (in his case not re-signing him to his old VP of talent relations position)

Those guys are so under rated with their storylines and creative ideas that it isn't even funny.

A lot of "experts" criticize Cornette, but facts are facts: the show was better when he was around, and I think it's fair to credit at least part of that to him.
I believe that Jim's outlook & input were invaluable and added some much-needed levity to the product.

Not all traditions and conventions are outdated/useless.
IMO, the old man is making a mistake in abandoning critical parts of the main formula.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1268 on: April 20, 2011, 08:28:21 AM »

A lot of "experts" criticize Cornette, but facts are facts: the show was better when he was around, and I think it's fair to credit at least part of that to him.
I believe that Jim's outlook & input were invaluable and added some much-needed levity to the product.

IMO, the old man is making a mistake in abandoning critical parts of the main formula.

That combined with ego and giving his dumb daughter too much control of creative and allowing his son-in-law too much say in what goes on in storylines. This is the reason why Kurt Angle left WWE back in 2005 and never looked back.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1269 on: April 20, 2011, 01:34:41 PM »

jim was great on camera as well as off. remember when he fell off the scaffold and broke both his legs in the old nwa. road warriors vs midnight express match.
F

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1270 on: April 21, 2011, 06:20:08 AM »
jim was great on camera as well as off. remember when he fell off the scaffold and broke both his legs in the old nwa. road warriors vs midnight express match.
I believe that was an accident. Big Bubba Rodgers was supposed to catch him. Jim Corentte fell flat on the mat and hurt his knee. Bottom line is he didn't cry like a true wrestling trooper. I respect Cornette.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1271 on: April 21, 2011, 06:32:47 AM »

I believe that was an accident. Big Bubba Rodgers was supposed to catch him. Jim Corentte fell flat on the mat and hurt his knee. Bottom line is he didn't cry like a true wrestling trooper. I respect Cornette.

I didn't see the original airing, but am familiar with it via archive footage & interviews regarding it.
Someone (may even have been me) posted a vid of Corny talking about that incident; maybe check one of the video threads.
Yeah, I guess Bossman was never a wide receiver!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1272 on: April 21, 2011, 07:54:12 AM »
I didn't see the original airing, but am familiar with it via archive footage & interviews regarding it.
Someone (may even have been me) posted a vid of Corny talking about that incident; maybe check one of the video threads.
Yeah, I guess Bossman was never a wide receiver!
Ha ha ha, he would have made a hell of a line backer.

I believe this footage was also on the Road Warriors DVD.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1273 on: April 22, 2011, 05:46:03 PM »
Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

possible spoiler

Due to the retirement of Edge leaving SmackDown! in dire need of a top babyface, Vince McMahon decided to hold the annual WWE Draft next Monday as opposed to a date in June. It was described as a “panic move” as noted earlier here on the website.

WWE officials have discussed moving Alberto Del Rio to RAW during next Monday’s WWE Draft as he is currently penciled to headline SummerSlam against John Cena. It has also been broached for Del Rio to move to the brand as World Heavyweight Champion, with The Miz, as WWE Champion, heading to SmackDown!.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1274 on: April 23, 2011, 02:58:19 PM »
Moving Miz is a mistake IMO, and if they need a face on Smackdown so bad, why are they moving the #1 heel in the company to the B show?