Author Topic: Industry News & Notes:  (Read 758691 times)

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: Industry News & Notes - Updated Weekly:
« Reply #1500 on: August 12, 2011, 06:34:15 PM »
pwtorch

WWE Hall of Famer "Stone Cold" Steve Austin says if he were to have one final match, facing C.M. Punk at WrestleMania 28 would be high on his list.

"If I were to have one last tango, doing it with C.M. Punk would be the way to go," Austin said on G4's "Attack of the Show" this week. "I've thought a lot about that."

Austin appeared on G4TV to promote this week's DVD release of "Tactical Force," which he talked in-depth about in the interview. Austin also discussed his mentality on the rumored Punk match.

"I've been hearing stuff like that," he dryly said before talking up Punk and his current work in WWE. "It would be a great match-up. I'm not going to say that it's going to happen. I'm not going to say it's not going to happen. I'm really riding the fence on this one

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1501 on: August 12, 2011, 07:53:25 PM »
wrestlezone
As we previously reported, Sin Cara will make his return to WWE TV on tonight's edition of Smackdown, however, he will not be played by Luis Ignascio Urive Alvirde, formerly known as Mistico in Mexico. Alvirde is currently serving a 30 day suspension, and subsequently the Sin Cara character was played by FCW wrestler Hunico at this week's Smackdown tapings.

According to a new report by Super-Luchas.net, there is a possibility that Mistico will not be brought back to WWE after his suspension is lifted as WWE has reportedly told Hunico that he will be playing the Sin Cara character during WWE's tour of Mexico in October.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #1502 on: August 13, 2011, 05:09:36 AM »
wrestlezone
As we previously reported, Sin Cara will make his return to WWE TV on tonight's edition of Smackdown, however, he will not be played by Luis Ignascio Urive Alvirde, formerly known as Mistico in Mexico. Alvirde is currently serving a 30 day suspension, and subsequently the Sin Cara character was played by FCW wrestler Hunico at this week's Smackdown tapings.

According to a new report by Super-Luchas.net, there is a possibility that Mistico will not be brought back to WWE after his suspension is lifted as WWE has reportedly told Hunico that he will be playing the Sin Cara character during WWE's tour of Mexico in October.

When Heenan was in WCW, he told Eric he had a way to save them a good bit of money:
You've got all these luchas who are built the same, work the same, and act the same...
Why not just keep 2 Mexican guys on the roster, but have 16 different masks for them to change into throughout the night?
 ;)

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #1503 on: August 13, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »
The new guy looked OK I suppose, but he's just as sloppy as the first Cara was.  At least he went through a match without using a single head scissors move.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1504 on: August 13, 2011, 05:02:02 PM »
Last night Booker made comments about Sins new moves and his weight gain. Timmy thought he looked different. Brilliant idea by the Brain. As long as they don't have tattoos these guys could easily be swapped out.

They could have some fun with this:

One week, they should send out a tall guy in the mask, then the next week a short guy, then a black guy, then a fat guy, etc...
Finally, the REAL Sin Cara returns and confronts the person responsible for the mockery - maybe the "anonymous" RAW GM.
Maybe it turns out to be Hunter, and they two of them can set up a nice feud.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #1505 on: August 13, 2011, 08:07:25 PM »

They could have some fun with this:

One week, they should send out a tall guy in the mask, then the next week a short guy, then a black guy, then a fat guy, etc...
Finally, the REAL Sin Cara returns and confronts the person responsible for the mockery - maybe the "anonymous" RAW GM.
Maybe it turns out to be Hunter, and they two of them can set up a nice feud.

Sin-swoggle?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1506 on: August 14, 2011, 05:17:07 AM »
Sin-swoggle?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
HA-HA-HA... BRILLIANT, MATE!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1507 on: August 14, 2011, 08:43:21 AM »

Chris Masters, who was released last week by WWE, caused a commotion today in Los Angeles, California as he appeared outside the Nokia Plaza where SummerSlam Axxess is being held. The former WWE Superstar drew a large crowd as he signed autographs and took pictures with fans. He also had an associate in tow filming his appearance.
pwmania

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1508 on: August 14, 2011, 09:26:03 AM »
I think it's a drag how they are using $ Jr.. But the bright side is that he wasn't released yet. There might still be hope for him? I just don't understand why Cody and Orton are pushed so hard and they aren't doing anything with $? At first he was doing great with Legacy and his movie. Did he p!ss VKM off or something?

They have not given a reason to make anyone care about him. He hasn't had any character development since Legacy. They tried to give him a gimmick like his dad and it failed, then he became a generic heel. I think they are setting up a Ted face turn and feud with Cody. Maybe call up his brother from FCW and make them a team?

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1509 on: August 14, 2011, 09:26:38 AM »
-- Former ECW star Axl Rotten stated on Twitter that if he doesn't come up with $5,000 by the end of the month, he will be evicted from his home. He was asking for PayPal donations. The message, however, has since been deleted.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #1510 on: August 14, 2011, 06:17:02 PM »
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
HA-HA-HA... BRILLIANT, MATE!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The funny thing is that I'd pay to see that!  Hornswoggle hitting the trampoline into the ring, cracking out a few hurricanrana's, 'getting lost in the lights' as Booker likes to put it....

;D

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1511 on: August 15, 2011, 09:29:50 AM »
pwinsider:

By Mike Johnson on 2011-08-15 10:59:19 For those of you who missed it over the weekend, I was in Chicago on Saturday to cover Ring of Honor's first TV Tapings. With the exception of the announcing team, here are the non-spoiler news and notes coming out of that taping:
Jim Cornette made the public announcement that the ROH website will be available for free via the new ROHWrestling.com website, which is being put together as we speak. There are plans for a premium paid version of the site, but what those plans will consist of have not been publicly announced yet.

The TV show itself will debut on Saturday 9/24 on all of the channels owned by Sinclair Broadcasting. If you don't have one of their channels in your area, the only way to see the series will be the online broadcast. The hope is to eventually syndicate the series to other outlets that show interest in carrying the show. I am told there is a multi-year plan for the series and the company going forward and Sinclair knows it will be a slow build. There are plans to begin running some of the markets they will be broadcasting in beginning in 2012. Until then, it's going to be a very specific schedule as the TV show rolls out.

Former ROH champion Nigel McGuinness, last seen as Desmond Wolfe in TNA, is back with the promotion full-time as their color analyst. Kevin Kelly will be the lead announcer going forward.

There's no definitive word yet as to where this leaves SHIMMER promoter Dave Prazak, who had been doing commentary on DVDs and iPPVs. Prazak was at the taping on Saturday and made it clear to the company that he'll be happy with whatever role they want him in going forward.

SHIMMER's official relationship with ROH, however, has ended. Prazak will be handling all SHIMMER business in terms of DVDs on his own going forward.

Jerry Lynn worked the taping as one of the agents backstage alongside Delirious and Jim Cornette. Lynn is not currently signed to a TNA deal, which is how he's able to work for ROH. Daizee Haze also worked in a backstage production aspect.

Dave Lagana also worked the tapings, handling time cues and producing backstage segments. Lagana will continue to work with the company on a social media front as well.

ROH COO Joe Koff and Live Events head Gary Juster were both in attendance.

The new ROH ring was built by OVW owner Danny Davis, who was in attendance at the taping. Others in attendance were Maria Kanellis and Jackie Gayda-Haas.

Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin have new theme music, which I am told was written and performed by a friend of Haas.

There were no injuries coming out of the tapings, which saw four hours taped. Dan Bynum was the director of the TV shoot, which had five or six cameras present. There were three different hard cameras, two cameras at ringside and at least one camera roaming the crowd to capture crowd reactions. There were some glitches and production issues early on, specifically with the house mic and assorted audio issues, which led to delays. The show was being filmed live to tape with the editing (graphics, etc.) being handled live in the production truck, which also led to slight delays live. ROH management was impressed by the energy level of the crowd, who ended up being louder with more energy when something had to be re-shot due to a technical issue.

Post-Production of the tapings is currently ongoing in Maryland. Jim Cornette went right to Maryland after the tapings to help oversee the TV.

The October and November tapings will be held in Louisville, Kentucky at the Davis Arena.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1512 on: August 15, 2011, 09:32:43 AM »
gerweck.net

Gail Kim provided an update on her WWE status via her Twitter account:

“4 every1 asking once again I’m still on mini vaca(meaning don’t work 4 the i-wont-acknowledge there’s-any competition) but have some upcoming appearances and have a few projects on the table. So like I said b4 this won’t be the last u see of me. Just be patient ull be seeing a lot of me in this next coming year!”

“Its great that every1s hopeful but I’m nonofficially/officially done. I’m ready2 make things happen for myself instead of leaving it into some1 else’s hands. Esp into the hands of a person who didn’t believe in me. Why should I waste more of my time when I believe in myself? I’m ready 2 accomplish things 4 myself and not for a boss I have no respect 4!  ))”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
She's turning into Matt Hardy. She was a botch machine her whole second run.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1513 on: August 15, 2011, 09:36:30 AM »
Some notes on WWE’s upcoming Steve Austin DVD. It’s going to be a 3-disc
set DVD and 2-disc for the Blu-ray version. Release date is penciled in
for November 29. The official synopsis reads: “He’s one of the most
popular Superstars in the history of sports-entertainment, with a resume
that includes six WWE Championship reigns, three Royal Rumble victories,
a King of the Ring Championship, and an unprecedented run of raising
hell throughout WWE. Stone Cold Steve Austin continues to be both
popular and controversial, with the recent success of Tough Enough, his
highly anticipated appearances on WWE Raw, and his continued movie
career, the Texas Rattlesnake is still a pop culture force, and there
has never been a comprehensive biography done until now. Stone Cold
Steve Austin looks at the life and career of Austin, and includes
exclusive, never-before-seen interviews with Austin and many of his
in-ring rivals. ” Internally WWE is expecting this title to be a popular
seller. Austin’s last WWE DVD sold over 150,000 units, and Austin’s last
three movies sold around 500,000 units. Austin and Jim Ross will be
doing alternative commentary for three matches on the DVD next week in
Connecticut.

(source: Wrestling Globe Newsletter)

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1514 on: August 15, 2011, 03:11:18 PM »
wrestlezone

The following is from WWE.com:

Referee Mike Chioda suspended

In accordance with its Talent Wellness Program, WWE has suspended referee Mike Chioda for 30 days for his first violation of the company policy.

According to a PWInsider.com report, recent WWE Tough Enough winner Andy "Silent Rage" Leavine has been suspended by the company due to a Wellness Policy violation.

While yet to be confirmed by WWE.com, the report claims that the news of Leavine's suspension is making the rounds backstage in San Diego right now, the site of tonight's WWE Raw show.

If true, Leavine joins long time WWE referee Mike Chioda, who was officially suspended due to a Wellness Policy, as confirmed by a WWE.com report.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1515 on: August 15, 2011, 03:22:27 PM »
Chris Masters finds himself gone from the WWE after being released several weeks ago.  But, he is ready to move forward in his career.  Brian Fritz of BetweenTheRopes.com spoke with Chris about his release and how surprised he was, his improvement in the ring, getting past his addiction issues, what is next for him and more.

Subscribe to Between The Ropes on iTunes:  http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/between-the-ropes/id426723548
Here are several quotes from the interview:

On why he decided not to go to Summerslam:

"I had gone to WWE Axxess on Saturday and that was already such an overwhelming day.  I couldn't imagine going to Staples Center and be amongst all that.  It would have been nuts."

The reason why he got his release from WWE:

"Well, from what I know, they have about 80 guys in developmental right now that they really don't know what to do with.  The specific reason I was given was company restructuring.  I don't worry about that too much. From my perspective, had … Triple H had spoken to me numerous times telling me of Vince's approval and his approval of the progress I'd been making, talked about what to do with me, a fresh coat of paint as he put it like repackaging type thing.  They had also talked about completely taking me off TV for three months.  I was just under the impression that even though I was dithering on Superstars that this was going to be my year and I had good things coming."

Being surprised to get the call about his release:

"It came out of nowhere.  It's not like the first time.  The first time, I take responsibility.  I know I messed up.  I made some bad decisions.  This time, I'd done everything right.  I passed my tests, I was clean.  I turned my life around completely from my last stint so it was more of a shocker just to hear that it was happening and the actual reason."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
80 people in development? For what maybe 10 roster spots? They have had talented people who they had "nothing for" and they release to bring up other people they won't have anything for.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1516 on: August 17, 2011, 09:42:03 AM »
WWE Chairman Vince McMahon is said to be very impressed with The Miz in recent weeks, which many insiders are believing will lead to a big push for the former WWE champion.

“Vince really liked Miz’s promo last week on Raw, which sold SummerSlam even though Miz didn’t have an opponent named,” a reliable insider informed us, “and Vince thought Miz came across as a top heel at SummerSlam.”

The source continued, “But what Vince loved the most was Miz’s performance tonight endorsing Subway, because he did it in such an entertaining fashion, and Vince kept telling people that Miz’s performance is exactly what he’s looking for from WWE Superstars. Miz really raised his stock in WWE in the past week.”

With McMahon high on The Miz's recent work, expect to see Miz elevated back into the main event picture in the coming weeks and months.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1517 on: August 17, 2011, 09:43:21 AM »
gerweck.net

SUMMERSLAM GROSSES MORE THAN $1 MILLION

LOS ANGELES, CA – August 15, 2011 – WWE® announced today that the hottest event of the summer, SummerSlam, attracted a sold out crowd of 17,404 fans last night at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, grossing more than $1 million. This marks the highest grossing SummerSlam ever held at the Staples Center.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1518 on: August 17, 2011, 09:44:23 AM »
Just signed for “Death Before Dishonor IX” at the Manhattan Center in New York City on Saturday, September 17th:

The “Ringmaster Challenge”- 2/3 Falls Match Eddie Edwards vs. Roderick Strong with Truth Martini * First fall is pinfall only. Second fall is submissions only. If necessary, the third fall will be a 15 minute Iron Man Match.

This event will air live on iPPV at www.gofightlive.tv.

To read the complete announcement along with video comments from Jim Cornette click here: http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/1st-match-set-for-death-before-dishonor-ix/

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1519 on: August 17, 2011, 09:47:49 AM »
According to PWInsider, WWE has registered the following trademarks:

Future endeavored

Future endeavor

Mr. Future Endeavo

PWInsider is reporting that yesterday in San Diego, former TNA stars Generation Me (Young Bucks) worked matches for WWE producers. WWE is looking to enhance their tag team division which has been weak and not a top priority for a while.

BoxingScene.com is reporting that heavyweight boxer Monte "Two Gunz" Barrett is interested in a rematch against David Tua, and he wants it to take place at WrestleMania 28 in Miami next year.

Barrett is a good friend of John Cena's, and has said that he's spoken to Cena about setting up the fight for the big PPV next year, which would feature the third bout between Barrett and Tua, and would also be the third boxing match to take place at a WWE WrestleMania event.

Barrett recently suffered a broken jaw at the hands of Tua, and he's even said that he wouldn't mind if their boxing match took place inside a steel cage. In an interesting note, Tua is the nephew of WWE Hall of Famer Afa Anoa'i.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1520 on: August 17, 2011, 09:49:18 AM »
wrestlezone

This past weeks episode of RAW did a 3.29 ratings. This is up from last weeks 3.1 ratings.

The first hour scoring a 3.4 rating (5.2 million viewers) and the second hour scoring a 3.18 rating (4.9 million viewers).

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1521 on: August 17, 2011, 10:06:22 AM »
PWTorch has learned that former pro boxer and AWA commentator Scott Ledoux died at the age of 62 on Thursday evening.

Ledoux battled ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) for the past three years after being diagnosed in 2008.

Following his boxing career, Ledoux joined the AWA in the mid-1980s as a color commentator and referee.

Ledoux notably participated in a Boxer vs. Wrestler match against Larry Zbyszko at the AWA Wrestlerock '86 card at the Metrodome in Minneapolis.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1522 on: August 17, 2011, 04:52:32 PM »
oh lawd

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/...543109/melina/

-- According to a promoter who reached out to Melina Perez to book her for an independent wrestling event, the former WWE Diva's representative is asking for $3,000 per appearance, as well as first class travel and hotel accommodations

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1523 on: August 17, 2011, 04:54:31 PM »
oh lawd

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/...543109/melina/

-- According to a promoter who reached out to Melina Perez to book her for an independent wrestling event, the former WWE Diva's representative is asking for $3,000 per appearance, as well as first class travel and hotel accommodations

She's in for a rude awakening.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1524 on: August 17, 2011, 05:46:48 PM »
ProWrestling.net is reporting that although Rey Mystrerio will need to undergo months of rehab to heal his injured knee, and will in fact miss ring time, he will not need surgery on the knee at this time.

The report notes that although Mysterio is opting not to have surgery at this point, it is believed by many that Mysterio will eventually have to have knee replacement surgery at some point down the line.