Author Topic: Industry News & Notes:  (Read 758678 times)

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
Re: Industry News & Notes - Updated Weekly:
« Reply #1525 on: August 20, 2011, 01:35:21 AM »
oh my goodness, is there nothing this (choose your own expletive) wont do to gain a spotlight:

c/o Lordsofpain.....

Linda Hogan insinuated this week that Hulk Hogan carried on an intimate relationship with longtime friend Brutus Beefcake.

The ex-wife of the TNA Wrestling star appeared on Matty P's Radio Happy Hour to pitch her recently released memoir, Wrestling the Hulk: My Life Against the Ropes. One question e-mailed into the show asked: "Do you believe that Hulk and Brutus Beefcake ever had an intimate relationship?"

"Wow, let me think about how to answer this so I don't end up getting a lawsuit," she said with a laugh. "A little bird told me, 'Yes, they think they did.'"

Hogan responded to Linda's remarks via Twitter and said he feels sorry for her.

"Feel sorry for Linda Hogan. I can't believe how low a person will go, even to lie to hurt others just to stay in her perverted spotlight," he wrote.

"She will have to answer to the power upstairs for her evil lifestyle, I can only pray for her, what a wasted life, God bless her."

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1526 on: August 20, 2011, 01:40:39 AM »
LOP cont'd.....

Goldberg Returning to the Ring in Africa?, Update on a Big Show in the Congo
By Marc Middleton
Aug 17, 2011 - 7:05:16 PM

As noted before, Bill Goldberg recently shot a promotional video for an October show in the African Congo, billed as the "Rumble in the Jungle II" after the legendary "Rumble in the Jungle 1" between boxers George Foreman and Muhammad Ali decades ago.

Goldberg said he would come out of retirement to wrestle on the show. In the promo, Goldberg talks about the Government of the Democratic Republic of Congo backing the wrestling show. Rick Bassman is reportedly booking talents for the show and he went to Africa last month with Luke Gallows and Nathan Jones to promote it.

Several other big names are being promoted for the show including Kurt Angle, MVP, Matt Hardy, Batista, Shawn Daivari, Chris Jericho, Ric Flair and Shelton Benjamin. At least one of those names knew nothing about the show when contacted and another said his manager was contacted but turned it down

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #1527 on: August 20, 2011, 03:55:59 AM »
Hogan responded to Linda's remarks via Twitter and said he feels sorry for her.

"Feel sorry for Linda Hogan. I can't believe how low a person will go, even to lie to hurt others just to stay in her perverted spotlight," he wrote.

"She will have to answer to the power BIG DUDE upstairs for her evil lifestyle, I can only pray for her, what a wasted life, God bless her."

The same "dude" to whom Hulkster will have to answer regarding his little intra-marital promiscuities...

...with women...

...or barbers...

BROTHER!!!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1528 on: August 20, 2011, 06:52:36 AM »
pwinsider

WWE Hall of Famer Bret “Hitman” Hart sat down and spoke with Duane Doogan & Luke Barry from #WrestlingVoice (available now on iTunes and WrestlingVoice.net) promoting his upcoming Irish tour with American Wrestling Rampage.  Some of the highlights include...

On his relationship with Shawn Michaels:
“I suspected from the very beginning that me and Shawn, our handshake, would be more BS than anything else and that we were still going to loath each other and hate each others guts for the rest of our lives, but the truth is that he was very humbled and grateful that I was willing to forgive everything and the reality is we were able to become good friends since then. Knowing that it really meant something to him, meant something to me and we actually have a really good friendship now.

I think Shawn was always a bit of a prima donna and I didn’t think he’d be sincere when he shook my hand and the gratification I get over a few weeks and months after that, you could really see it was a weight lifted of his back and he seemed appreciative and grateful that we could be on good terms again.”

On his match with Vince and his in-ring performances since then:
“I thought it was perfect, I loved having my family out there, I loved having my brothers and sisters play the lumberjacks and I think fans got what they wanted even though it wasn’t the old Bret Hart, but the truth is I’m never gonna be that Bret Hart, the technical wrestler, I’m basically gonna be more of a character for the rest of my career, my days of taking suplexes and diving over the top rope are over.”

On Harry Smith’s recent release:
“It’s unfortunate, but these things happen, you might look at it as a setback but you might look at it as a blessing in disguise, I think he’s a great talent, but needs to reinvent himself and by stepping away from WWE might be a nice break, but I don’t doubt that in time he’ll be back in WWE. He’s still young and a great talent.

He needs to step away and look to reinvent himself, my brother Owen left the company years ago when he was wrestling as the Blue Blazer and he got out of WWE and did some different tours and promotions and then came back a couple years later and found the footing he was looking for when he came back.”

Being placed #4 behind Steve Austin, The Undertaker & Shawn Michaels on WWE’s 50 Greatest Superstars of All Time DVD:
“I beat Steve Austin every time I worked with him throughout my career and yet he he’s graded above him, so figure that out. I could give you a list of 50 wrestlers and it would have credibility because I would have an idea but some guy that’s working for WWE Magazine that makes it up frankly, he can kiss my ass, he doesn’t know anything.”

On Randy Savage and Owen Hart’s absence from the WWE Hall of Fame:
“It’s not much of a Hall of Fame without Macho Man in it, and Owen belongs in there as much as me or my Dad, so I think it’s only a matter of time.”

Other topics include his highlights from his last run with WWE, who he would like to work with from today’s talent, his favorite and least memorable matches as well as his upcoming rivalry DVD featuring himself and Shawn Michaels.

Bret Hart will be appearing for American Wrestling Rampage, for three dates across Ireland in Derry, Mayo and Limerick in October and tickets go on sale soon. Also appearing are former WWE stars Rhino and Scotty 2 Hotty with more names expected to be announced, check www.awrwrestling.com for all ticket info.

You can hear the near 30-minute interview at http://www.wrestlingvoice.net/2011/08/interview-with-bret-hitman-hart/ or subscribe on iTunes here http://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/wrestlingvoice.net-podcast/id397878356

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1529 on: August 20, 2011, 07:06:52 AM »
The Godwinns interview recap from www.IYHWrestling.com
by Taso the Greek

Jack E. Jones and OneInchBiceps are joined right off the bat with two guests on the show, a first for IYH! The Godwinns! Henry O. Godwinn & Phinias I. Godwinn, aka “Naked Mideon” Dennis Knight and Mark Cantabury, aka Southern Justice, aka Shanghai Pierce & Tex Slazenger, the list of names goes on and on. Jack feels the Southern Justice tag team could have been a bigger success and should have had a bigger run and both guests agree. Jack asks how often the guys talk to each other and they reply about once a week, and then suggest they may be moving in with each other and even marrying each other.

Who came up with the names Tex and Shaghai? Dusty & Barry Windham came up with them a movie called “Gunfight at The OK Coral. Mark was doing WCW shows already and working with Erik Watts, Denis did a try-out and got big ups from Dusty, and WCW ended up putting them together. They tried to tell a tale of how they got together, one night at the Ramada Hotel in Atlanta, but it ended up being a sordid story they really didn’t want to tell. Why was only one man masked? Mark was working with Erik Watts, so they wanted to bring them in as new characters that no one would recognize. Why did the fans chant when Dennis threw a punch? Not sure why but Ole Anderson didn’t like it. Why did Henry Godwinn come in after Phinias Godwinn? Mark wasn’t sure, but eventually they got together in the WWF and they clicked right away. Even after so many years together they never had a fight or any problems. Mark talked about how they were able to hang out with all the cliques, one night they would hang out with Undertaker and Yokozuna and the next night they would hang out with HHH and HBK. They mentioned the “BSK”, which Jack curiously commented on, and although the Godwinns did not want to tell what “BSK” stood for they eventually told the story. First they said call the Deadman, but then they told then IYH crew that it stood for “Bone Street Krew”. Yoko and Undertaker came up with it, all the members got tattoos, including Godfather, Savio Vega, Krush, Paul Bearer, & Rikishi.

Mark said he and Tex were friends for a long time, Mark lost his son in an accidental shooting and that they had been through a lot together. Mark mentioned how someone had once pulled a gun on them and Dennis saved his life.

The Godwinns will be doing an autograph signing soon with the New Age Outlaws, and they both mention how they get along very well with them. Dennis says the three guys he is in constant contact with are Mark, Undertaker, and Road Dogg.

September 24th,
Bucks County Tech School
610 Wistar Road
Fairless Hills, PA

Jack asked if there was a lot of tension between all the cliques in WWF? The Godwinns mention that there was at first, but a bus trip in Germany broke the ice and everyone got along after that. There is a famous picture of the whole crew in the back of the bus. Someone hinted there was an herbal remedy that brought them all together. George The Animal Steele was the man who took this infamous picture. They also state that after that night, Stone Cold and the Attitude Era took off soon afterwards. They feel they had the best crew of wrestlers ever, at that time. Mark and Dennis said they policed themselves and one time they had to have a talking too with someone, and they were the unofficial policemen of the locker room. They also said wrestling court did exist, and either it was Undertaker, Ron Simmons, or Yokozuna who held court and people would present their case, and then a decision would be made. Typical punishment would happen if people disrespected themselves or the company. Sunny was one person who went through the system. They talked about the BodyDonnas and Chris Candido, they loved Chris and felt that Sunny treated him poorly. Jack asked how she felt about being “slopped”? She had no choice but it was fun for them. The Godwinns say they put a little extra slop in the bucket, although not them per se, but they would put the slop bucket in a room full of wrestlers and then, whatever happened to that slop, happend. Were they around for when Mark Henry ate a turd sandwich? X-Pac was involved, as Mark Henry was on crutches, they ordered Subway, and poop ended up in his 5$ foot long. Ahmed Johnson once wanted to hang out with the Godwinns, and they said he sure as hell did, to the tune of a $5,000 trashing of his hotel room. Everyone wanted one night of partying with the Godwinns.

Spec_Sun from the message board asked about their run as Southern Justice and should they have won the titles? Thoughts on Jeff Jarrett popped up at this point, as did kind words about Jeff’s departed wife. Both guys had nothing bad to say about Jeff or his family. Jack asked if they had any thoughts of working in TNA, but The Godwinns said they were too beat up to work again.

Thoughts on CM Punk: I believe Dennis had given Punk proper respect for being a hard worker and a real wrestler. He said the night of this last PPV, Summer Slam, he texted Punk before the show, and Punk texted him back. He didn’t like to do this but he compared Punk to Steve Austin, said he was a great worker and very respectful. Both guys said he has paid in dues. The Godwinns mention they will have a shoot interview coming soon, and Mark mentions that they will lay it all out on the line for this shoot and tell some pretty interesting stories about the business and their lives. September 17th is the date they will do the shoot.

Gene the Drunk called in, touting the slop match with HHH as the best match he has ever seen. The Godwinns said that Vince McMahon gave them alot of praise following that match as well. Back on the shoot interview Mark mentions he has 21 years of stuff to get off his chest and he won’t hold anything back. Dennis chimed in with the fact that he did not hate anyone in the business except one guy, Ric Flair.

When they first started in WCW, Barry Windham asked them if they wanted to tour with him (to the next town? on the road?), and no one had a problem with them, but Ric Flair would always be a dick, especially to Dennis, and ask them to leave the room because of Horsemen business. Dennis said that Flair wasn’t too bad to Mark, but Mark had his own story about the Horsemen. They traveled the road with Double A and Pee Wee (Randy Anderson?), and Arn said they were too good at making others look good, and basically soon, WCW was letting people go, and all of Flair’s buddies did not get terminated. But Dennis and Mark both were happy because they felt their WWF run was awesome, and they would not have had their moment in Madison Square Garden and winning the title. That was also the same night Razor and Nash left the company and had that hug-in with the Clique in the ring. The Godwinns felt that this was disrespectful to the WWF and the boys. They mentioned how some guys got preferential treatment and how there were nights they had to put “world champions” to bed in the hotel because they were too intoxicated to even undress. No names were mentioned, wink wink.

Did the Godwinns ever get in trouble or have to face “wrestler’s court”? No. They never did much to warrant trouble.

What was Yokozuna like as a person? He was awesome, in the ring and out, and he would invite them to huge barbecues where he lived in California and they always felt invited and comfortable around his family.

What did Mark think of Naked Mideon? He didn’t know what to think. Dennis said it was partly Kurt Angle’s idea. Dennis ribbed everyone when they asked for people to come out for a meet and greet and he showed up naked with just a fanny-pack. The next day Vince asked him to do it and it became a part of the show. Dennis was happy he didn’t have to wrestle for 6-8 months, but just run to the ring naked.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1530 on: August 22, 2011, 01:48:18 PM »
gerweck.net

WWE hall of famer Steve Austin stated in the Daily Star that there would be another season of “Tough Enough

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1531 on: August 22, 2011, 01:52:52 PM »
ESPN did a feature on “The Mouth of the South” Jimmy Hart, and his favorite wrestling themes.

Notes from the piece:

- By his estimation he wrote the entrance music for 23 wrestlers in the WWE and 101 in WCW.

- “We did all the WCW Nitro Girls entrance themes, the Wolfpac music with Kevin Nash and Scott Hall, Buff Bagwell’s stuff and Raven’s theme.”
gerweck.net

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1532 on: August 22, 2011, 01:59:50 PM »
WWE Raw star Rey Mysterio has updated his knee injury status by posting the following on Twitter:

Need to have surgery again! Sorry4 the let down! Promise to make it back as soon as possible!Gonna miss what I luv most-ENTERTAINING U's!619

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1533 on: August 22, 2011, 02:00:22 PM »
wrestlezone

WWE Chairman Vince McMahon is said to be "very high on Booker T's Smackdown commentary."

According to a key WWE insider, Vince has told people Booker brings a "street perspective" to the broadcast, and feels that Booker balances out Michael Cole for the audience even better than Jerry "The King" Lawler does on Monday Night Raw.

"Vince usually hates people he can't relate to," our source candidly told us, "but he really likes Booker's commentary because he feels no other broadcast on television right now offers Booker's viewpoint. He keeps saying how unique and different Booker is."

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1534 on: August 23, 2011, 09:10:11 AM »
Rey Mysterio will be undergo reconstructive knee surgery on Friday, and the word is that he will likely be out of action until after next year’s Wrestlemania in Miami, according to Dave Meltzer

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1535 on: August 23, 2011, 09:16:50 AM »
Just announced for Ring of Honor "Death Before Dishonor IX" in New York City on Saturday, September 17th:

Stipulations To Be Announced

Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. The All Night Express

This event will air live on iPPV at http://www.gfl.tv/Events/Fight/Wrestling/ROH___Death_Before_Dishonor_IX/1146.

To read the complete release click here: http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/the-briscoesanx-war-rages-on/.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1536 on: August 23, 2011, 09:19:41 AM »
 There has been discussion within WWE lately about the company looking to see what cruiserweight or light heavyweight talents are out there and signing them to developmental deals.

It hasn’t been confirmed yet that WWE will be doing a full-fledged revival of the cruiserweight division but they are interested in bringing talents who fit that bill. The idea is that cruiserweights will give guys like Evan Bourne or Sin Cara someone to work with and would add a quality of wrestling to WWE’s undercard.

This goes back to Triple H and changes he is making as he slowly takes over day-to-day control of the company.

Source: PWInsider.com

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1537 on: August 23, 2011, 09:25:01 AM »
That's good news! I think Booker is doing a terrific job and it definitely makes the show better. Think he did a great job on Tough Enough as well. Congratulations with his success.
I like him too...He actually shows enthusiasm towards the product and puts guys over, unlike Cole.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1538 on: August 23, 2011, 09:27:31 AM »
gerweck.net

Smith Hart, the eldest brother of the legendary Hart family, posted on his Facebook page, “Boarding a flight to Calgary shortly. Hart Family in full force tonight on Smackdown.” Bret Hart has been advertised for an appearance tonight in Calgary.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1539 on: August 24, 2011, 06:52:09 PM »
wrestlezone

Mick Foley recently noted on Twitter that he has been working out, losing weight, and is ready to wrestle should a deal with WWE come together. Additionally, on a recent edition of The Wrestling Voice Radio Show, Foley confirmed that he has been negotiating with WWE, and whether he ends up there will depend on the schedule they want from him and whether or not he can take the time away from his family.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1540 on: August 26, 2011, 06:09:22 AM »
wrestlezone

WWE Diva Maryse, who underwent abdominal surgery yesterday, posted the following on Facebook: "I am home now, and feeling good, still very tired from the anesthesia, but its normal, i will be posting pics of my tummy when they remove the bandages, my doctor did an amazing job and the scar should be very small in my belly button! be sexy."

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1541 on: August 26, 2011, 06:13:09 AM »
The first match announced for Ring of Honor's next Internet PPV on September 17 is "Ringmaster Challenge" featuring Eddie Edwards vs. Roderick Strong.

The battle between two former ROH World champions will be a two-out-of-three falls match. The break down is: first fall is pinfall only, second fall is submission only, and third fall (if necessary) is a 15-minute Iron Man Match.

ROH's "Death Before Dishonor IX" Internet PPV will emenate from the Manhattan Center in New York City on Sept. 17 and air on GoFightLive.TV.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1542 on: August 26, 2011, 06:24:16 AM »
pwinsider

The 2011 WWE Money in the Bank PPV garnered over 265,000 worldwide buys, according to WWE's latest performance indicators released to stockholders.

This buyrate would be up over 100,000 buys from the debut Money in the Bank PPV, which drew 165,00 buys worldwide.

That pretty much tells the tale that the CM Punk angle leading into the PPV and his challenge of John Cena certainly turned heads and made people part with their money. This buyrate was the company's best of the year outside of Wrestlemania and the Royal Rumble.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1543 on: August 26, 2011, 08:02:58 AM »
WWE Raw star Rey Mysterio has updated his knee injury status by posting the following on Twitter:

Need to have surgery again! Sorry4 the let down! Promise to make it back as soon as possible!Gonna miss what I luv most-ENTERTAINING U's!619

Then why did they have Alberto Del Rio "injure his" wrist again, after Del Rio's title defense on RAW?

If you're going to write the guy off, let his opponent attack the correct bodypart. Or at least, if Rey need surgery on his right knee, have Alberto "injure" his left knee during (or immediately after) the match.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1544 on: August 26, 2011, 07:38:20 PM »
Then why did they have Alberto Del Rio "injure his" wrist again, after Del Rio's title defense on RAW?

If you're going to write the guy off, let his opponent attack the correct bodypart. Or at least, if Rey need surgery on his right knee, have Alberto "injure" his left knee during (or immediately after) the match.

I'm not sure..maybe they were trying to put over Alberto's arm breaker? I am really enjoying his reign. He has had great matches with Rey, Morrison, and Daniel Bryan. He is absolutely textbook in the ring...every move he makes seems perfect and fluid.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1545 on: August 29, 2011, 04:43:51 PM »
gerweck.net

- Former Diva Ashley Massaro, 32, says she wants to return to WWE, but this time is going to wrestling school and plans to work her way up through the indies.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1546 on: August 29, 2011, 04:48:23 PM »
pwtorch

Mick Foley says he expects to be on WWE TV when he returns to WWE in a behind-the-scenes or promotional type role. Foley also talked to Sean Waltman in an on-camera interview for RealXPac.com about the difference between WWE and TNA utilizing non-wrestlers.

"WWE has the type of infrastructure that can allow someone like me or you to be an asset without actually being on their TV show," Foley told Waltman in a peer-to-peer interview over the weekend. "I probably will be back with WWE in some respect and I probably wouldn't have to be on TV - but I likely will be - and could be an ambassador or traveling around or helping out the younger guys...Unfortunately, when I was with TNA, when I wasn't on their TV, I felt like I was taking their money."

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1547 on: August 29, 2011, 04:54:26 PM »
pwinsider

An update on former WWWF champion Bruno Sammartino as he recovers from his heart valve replacement this past June.
Sammartino is progressing better than the average recovery, but he still gets winded at times.

"Bruno wants to get back to power walking and lifting weights already but with the recovery being a six month process, is not yet being allowed to lift weights, " said Sal Corrente, who handles Sammartino's bookings.

Currently, Sammartino has been walking two miles or so a day at a normal walking pace.

Sammartino gets winded very easily while exercising but beyond that has felt fine and "is in no pain at all", according to Corrente.

Sammartino will still need to be on medication for several more months, but even those he's being weaned off of.

Sammartino underwent the heart valve transplant after it was learned that his valves had deteriorated, stemming back from a case of Rheumatic Fever that Sammartino suffered as a child. Once Sammartino makes the full recovery and is done with rehab, doctors have told him he'd have the heart of a 40 year old man.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1548 on: August 29, 2011, 04:56:19 PM »
The most anticipated wrestling-related book of the Fall won't be seen until next year.
Paul Heyman's autobiography "The Heyman Hustle", which was set for a November release, has been pushed back into some time in 2012.

I am told that there were scheduling conflicts with a planned tour to promote the book and the decision was releasing it without promotion would hurt the sales, as it did Brock Lesnar's book (although that was a health situation that couldn't be avoided).

So, the book will be getting a new release date for 2012.

pwinsider

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1549 on: August 30, 2011, 11:53:05 AM »
Cable was out last night from the storm. Missed RAW. Whats new with Punk and Nash?
Triple H announced Nash-Punk at Night of Champions...at the end of the show it was changed to Triple H-Punk.