Author Topic: Industry News & Notes:  (Read 758804 times)

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: Industry News & Notes - Updated Weekly:
« Reply #1550 on: August 30, 2011, 11:54:27 AM »
wrestlezone

If you watched RAW, you saw that WWE Champion, Alberto Del Rio, didn't appear on the show. The fact that it was a RAW "Super Show" made his absence all the more confusing.

It seems Del Rio went back to Mexico this weekend to renew his work visa. This is not unusual as any non-U.S. citizens must return to their birthplace and to have this documentation up to date.

Del Rio was initially expected to be back and appear for RAW in Tulsa but obviously that didn't happen. As of now, he is expected to be at the live Smackdown on Tuesday.

According to one source, other than Cena making reference to Del Rio in his promo, the WWE didn't make any more mention of Del Rio's absence because they had no explanation in the storyline that would have made sense. WWE wanted to disguise Del Rio not being on RAW with the other storylines going on such as CM Punk/Kevin Nash/Triple H and with the amount of star power the show had featuring talent from both brands.

In addition to not appearing on RAW, Del Rio was not promoted for the Smackdown show during several of the promotional spots as they didn't want to bring up his name and appearance for Smackdown Tuesday without having to explain why he isn't appearing on RAW.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1551 on: August 30, 2011, 11:57:09 AM »
Last night, for those who missed it, Triple H announced that for at least the foreseeable future, the brand split has ended on the Raw brand, and the show will now feature stars from Smackdown as well.

PWInsider.com is reporting that several mid-lower card talents were said to be worried following the announcement last night, as they fear their spot on Raw might be in jeopardy in order to make room for top Smackdown talent on the Monday night show.

While it remains to be seen exactly which Smackdown talents will end up appearing on Raw on a weekly basis, and we still don't know if the brand consolidation will affect Smackdown as well, this new "Raw SuperShow" initiative definitely has some talent worried that they might be released.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1552 on: September 01, 2011, 08:29:02 AM »
F4WOnline.com is reporting that WWE producers have told Jerry "The King" Lawler to back off on his fat jokes aimed at Vickie Guerrero on Raw. This would explain why Lawler as toned way down as of late when Vickie appears on screen.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1553 on: September 02, 2011, 07:41:42 AM »
The Wrestling Observer is reporting that WWE officials have discussed the idea of having either Kelly Kelly or Eve Torres turn heel to set up a feud between the 2 Divas.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1554 on: September 02, 2011, 07:43:08 AM »
gerweck.net

Former WWE supsters Luke Gallows and Cliff Compton (Domino) arrived back in the United States from Nigeria on Wednesday following a wrestling tour which as noted here was plagued with drama and issues. As a parting gift, the promoter didn’t pay the wrestlers’ hotel bill so when it came
time to check out they found themselves forced to pay several hundred dollars. And when we say forced, the hotel physically detained Compton holding him by the arms until he paid. Everyone is now out of pocket for the hotel and plane tickets home. There was also a crazy incident at the airport before the flight out. Gallows was arguing with Nigerian wrestler Power Uti over what happened when soldiers armed with machine guns stepped in believing another member of the crew, Micah Taylor, was the “shoot chairman” and tried to force him to pay Gallows what the soldiers called “fight money”.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1555 on: September 02, 2011, 07:46:25 AM »
pwinsider

Ring of Honor has announced that a Ladder War Match featuring The Briscoes vs. The All Night Express in a Ladder War will headline the company's September 17th Death Before Dishonor IX online pay-per-view. To read more, visit ROHwrestling.com.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #1556 on: September 02, 2011, 07:48:09 AM »
The Wrestling Observer is reporting that WWE officials have discussed the idea of having either Kelly Kelly or Eve Torres turn heel to set up a feud between the 2 Divas.

Oh snap !  :-\

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1557 on: September 02, 2011, 12:25:34 PM »
WWE wrestler Santino Marella reportedly has a separated left shoulder after being involved in a bad car wreck Thursday night in Toronto.

WWE's website reports Santino was struck by another vehicle as he was returning home from his barber, who was not available to cut his hair before this weekend's Raw house show tour.

"My car flipped sideways and the trunk hit a light pole, it completely crushed in. The airbags deployed, and all I could smell was gunpowder," Santino said.

"There was broken glass everywhere, and I tried to open the passenger door, but it was stuck," Marella said. *“Luckily, there was still power in the car. I opened the sunroof and crawled out."

WWE says Santino will miss Monday's Raw TV due to the injury sustained in the wreck.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/santino-car-accident/santino-marella-car-accident-photos

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1558 on: September 04, 2011, 04:22:40 PM »
F4WOnline.com is reporting that the much talked about return to the ring for Bill Goldberg will indeed take place in Africa, as UAPWM (USA To Africa Pro Wrestling Mission will debut this October with a tour in Congo, culminating with "Rumble in the Jungle II" on October 12 in Kinshasa. Shows are being scheduled for Katanga, Mbujimayk, Goma, Bukavu, Lubumbashi and Kinshasa.

Bill Goldberg will be competing at Martyrs Stadium, while three other events will be taking place in outdoor soccer stadiums. Along with Goldberg, George Foreman, Laila Ali and Jean Claude Van Damme are also scheduled to appear at the event.

According to a press release, a PPV broadcast and video release of the show are tentatively scheduled, as well as a feature film.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #1559 on: September 05, 2011, 12:48:39 PM »
The Wrestling Observer is reporting that there were gunshots fired in the parking lot following the September 3rd WWE house show in Trenton, NJ.

WWE stars CM Punk, John Cena, Alberto Del Rio and Ricardo Rodriguez were outside at the time and were immediately rushed back into the arena. More on this developing story as information becomes available.

________________________ ________________________ _______

If it is determined that any or all of said wrestlers were the targets of the gunfire, we'll need to create new wrestling vernacular.
This is worse than "X-Pac heat!"

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1560 on: September 06, 2011, 05:43:10 AM »
wrestlezone

During Raw tonight, WWE ran a commercial promoting the WWE Network, which will debut in 2012. The commercial promoted that the network will be the home of "all things WWE," including PPV's, shows, classic footage and more.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1561 on: September 06, 2011, 05:48:11 AM »
gerweck.net

WWE Hall of Famer Greg “The Hammer” Valentine no-showed Saturday’s Macho Man Randy Savage Memorial Show in Hawkesbury, Ontario, Canada after being advertise to face Savage’s brother Lanny Poffo in the main event. According to the promoter of the event, Valentine got half of his money up front in July then he called Great North Wrestling organisers on Wednesday the 31st of August, and left a drunken message saying that the money he agreed to was not enough for him to come and he wouldn’t come unless he got more money. He called back on Thursday, September 1st and apologised for the drunken message and said he would still come as long as he got the other half of his money wired to him up front. He said he swore on a stack of bibles he’d show up he just really needed the money. GNW wired Greg the money and he no-showed anyway.

Macho Man’s brother Lanny Poffo was extremely offended that Greg would do this on his brothers memorial show. Greg was supposed to do three more events for Great North Wrestling (September 23rd-25) in New Brunswick but will now be replaced with a different wrestler.

Great North Wrestling president Devon Nicholson had the following to say on this matter:

“It is one thing to no-show a pro wrestling event. It is another to demand all your money up front, promise you’re going to come and then no show a huge event like the Macho Man Memorial Show. Greg Valentine cost in the ball park of 2k for his payoff, plane ticket and hotel room. That money all went to waste with him no-showing. Greg Valentine truly showed what scum he is this week. I would highly recommend that no promoter trust or book this man. He better hope he never crosses paths with me again. What he did was a horrible insult to me, Lanny, The Macho Man and most importantly the fans who paid to see him.”

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1562 on: September 06, 2011, 05:52:35 AM »
pwinsider

After four years in the making, Stan Hansen's autobiography, "The Last Outlaw," is now available at Crowbar Press.
Stan Hansen's account of his wrestling career is a veritable guidebook of professional wrestling in Japan.  In "The Last Outlaw," he tackles every subject imaginable as he educates and entertains readers with his stories about the promoters and their promotions, how the Japanese promoters operate their business behind the scenes, touring the country on the wrestling bus, the nightlife in the big cities, and how the sport in Japan differs from that in the U.S.

He also goes into detail about his time in Louisiana, Georgia, the AWA, and the WWWF.  And what would a "Stan Hansen book" be without personal stories about the time he spent with Bruiser Brody: how they first met, the story behind their becoming a team, spending time in the evenings on the streets and in the clubs of Japan, and his own, personal insight into the "real" Bruiser Brody.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1563 on: September 06, 2011, 05:55:16 AM »
pwtorch

Former WWE & WCW star Bill Goldberg had nothing positive to say about WWE CEO Vince McMahon in an interview with the local Fox affiliate in Tulsa, Okla. this week. Based on his comments, there appears to be no chance of a one-off return match in WWE.

"I can't really say anything positive about the man. It's like working for a carny - it's like working for a carny who's driven only by his ego. Business is out the window, as evidenced by what he did with my character. So, I don't have a positive thing to say about that guy," Goldberg told Fox 23 in Tulsa, which is where he grew up.

Goldberg was in-talks with WWE last year for a possible return match at this year's WrestleMania in his old stomping grounds in Atlanta. He expressed the same character-based concerns current TNA star Sting has expressed as why he did not sign with WWE for this year's Mania.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1564 on: September 07, 2011, 03:31:04 PM »
pwinsider

Triple H appeared on Busted Open, which airs every Monday and Wednesday on Sirius 92 and XM 207 from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. Highlights from the interview are as follows:

CM Punk's controversial promo on June 27:

"Punk said something about doofus, but he called John Laurinitis douchebag, which is way worse, right? The joke in the back was "at least I'm just a doofus, you're a douchebag." If you look at it from that standpoint, he called me a doofus, Stephanie an idiot and Johnny a douchebag, and everyone said "Oh my God!" He tore the roof off the place! He ripped the veil off! And it was like the most crazy promo of all time!" 5 years ago, no one would have blinked. That would have been a tame segment. Everyone would have looked at that promo and said "So what?" he didn't say anything. In order for that to get the reaction that it did, we had to go where it had to go.  I think sometimes, people think we bumble through this. Especially, and I don't mean this disparagingly, the internet fan I think sometimes thinks that we throw darts at the wall and fumble around to see what we can come up with next. I mean there is actually a plan to a lot of this stuff, but things change. It's live television, and people react certain ways and things don't happen the way you expect them too, and you have to make changes. But there is a plan to a lot of this."

Midcard talent possibly being affected by WWE's rebranding:

"Well I don't think the end of the brands is here at all. I think it's for a period of time, it's trying to give the best shows that we can. If I was a mid-card guy or lower end, certainly I would look at that and go "Oh man, the spot that could have been mine is now Randy Orton's". To me, I'm a big believer, You know everyone thinks we make the stars. The guys make themselves. We follow what the fans want. Make yourself relevant. Go out and make yourself relevant. If you have been doing the same thing for years, and you have been getting the same reaction, and you're in the same spot, change. We tell the guys that all the time and yet they don't do it. We try to help them.  There is just a different mentality, guys have to be willing and I think a lot of them think that they do, but they have to be willing to go out there and take it. They got to be willing to step on toes. They got to be willing to jump ahead. It's a business. Be willing to step up and not take no for an answer. I have been a big believer that if you're good enough, the cream rises to the top and you will get the spot."

The PG product:

"We had pushed the envelope so far and you get to a point that after a while, its like, Vince will always use this expression, even though it was completely irrelevant from a timeframe standpoint, but we had "Chainsaw Charlie". Where do you go after a guy with a chainsaw? But there is a certain point and time where you heard all this stuff on TV you have to pull it back to a point where it almost becomes sterile to get back to a point where you can begin to touch the envelope again where people go "OOH! Like we made it so sterile, like when CM Punk said Ass for the first time, people were like "Oh My God, he said ass!" Where ass was said every 4 seconds for a while. We have to pull it back. Will we ever get where we were before? No, because the world has changed.  I just don't think you can kind of do that programming now, with the way that the world is. We will never get back all the way there. But I think there is definitely a huge gap between where we were and where we went to. But I think for the right reasons. You have to get to a point where you almost sterilize it to make it seem edgy again. If you just back it off a little bit, it kind of seems a little watered down. So we just took it to where it needed to go to get it back to where it needed to be."

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1565 on: September 08, 2011, 07:24:51 AM »
Wrestlemania 28 is coming to Miami, and WWE is already talking about possible locations for Wrestlemania 29. The early candidates include Toronto, Dallas and St. Louis.

(source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter)

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1566 on: September 08, 2011, 07:34:11 AM »
Shigeri Akabane, better known as Little Tokyo, passed away Tuesday in St. Joseph, MO at the age of 70. He had been battling cancer for several months but his death was the result of a heart attack. A Japanese midget wrestler during the 1970s and 1980s, Tokyo worked for numerous promotions including Herb Abrams’ Universal Wrestling Federation, the American Wrestling Association and the World Wrestling Federation. He will be best remembered for appearing at WrestleMania III in a mixed tag team match with Lord Littlebrook and King Kong Bundy against Hillbilly Jim, the Haiti Kid and Little Beaver.

(source: Wrestling Globe Newsletter)

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1567 on: September 10, 2011, 08:46:43 AM »
The Wrestling Observer is reporting that although she voluntarily quit the company awhile back, former WWE Diva Gail Kim is still under contract with World Wrestling Entertainment. The backstage belief is that WWE will not release her from her deal, and is allowing it to run out, to prevent her from returning to TNA.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1568 on: September 10, 2011, 08:52:14 AM »

New Sinclair Markets For ROH
The Wrestling Observer is reporting that Sinclair has cleared the Salt Lake City, Austin, West Palm and Providence markets, making the new Ring of Honor show available when it debuts on 9/24. Be sure to check your local listings for start times.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1569 on: September 12, 2011, 11:46:06 AM »
F4Wonline is reporting that WWE star Sheamus recently signed a new long term contract that will keep the "Celtic Warrior" with the WWE. Sheamus made his debut on the WWE main roster in 2009 after spending time in FCW developmental.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1570 on: September 12, 2011, 12:02:42 PM »
pwinsider

Roddy Piper is undergoing surgery for a broken neck today in California. Piper announced via his Twitter account that he would be going into surgery at 10 AM this morning in California.
Piper wrote that had been experiencing neck problems for several months and after being examined, he was diagnosed with a broken neck.

Piper wrote that he believes he suffered the neck injury over Wrestlemania weekend, where he worked a match at WWE AXXESS during a taping of the Rob Drydek MTV series. Piper noted that he just assumed the pain would go away, but of late it had been getting worse, to the point he wasn't able to sleep.

Piper went for an MRI this week and described doctors seeing the results and immediately going into "911 mode" and scheduling surgery.

In typical Piper fashion, he was sure to point out his toughness, as he beat Terry Funk, The Miz and others with a broken neck.

Our best wishes to Piper for a quick and painless recovery from the surgery.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1571 on: September 12, 2011, 12:11:03 PM »
The Wrestling Observer is reporting that WWE’s 11/20 Survivor Series at Madison Square Garden is sold out. Advertising has suggested that The Rock will return to the ring at the PPV.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1572 on: September 12, 2011, 12:14:05 PM »
The Wrestling Observer is reporting that last week's WWE Smackdown taping in Toledo, OH, was one of the worst attended WWE events in recent history as it drew 3,200 fans with only 1,600 of them being paid audience members.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1573 on: September 15, 2011, 06:39:24 AM »
gerweck.net

WWE hall of famer “Rowdy” Roddy Piper posted the following following neck surgery:

(1) Haven’t slept since Saturday. The Tweet I just posted I messed up. Doctors put me on slab Monday at 12 noon. (1) Can’t get to a computor as I’m catching my breath. Doctors put me on thr slab Monday at 3 PM. Came back to 130 am Tuesday. Operation … (2) the doctors operated for 6.5 hours. I woke at 1 am Tuesday. At 3 am Tuesday I walked half the hospital hall ways by myself … (3) Broken neck is fixed. Have to stay in Hospital 10 days. I think I can get OT done in 5 days.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1574 on: September 15, 2011, 06:56:42 AM »
The following is the complete lineup for ROH’s “Death Before Dishonor IX” iPPV. 

Jay and Mark Briscoe vs. The All Night Express (Kenny King & Rhett Titus) in a Ladder War for a shot at the ROH World Tag Team titles at “Glory By Honor X.”

Eddie Edwards vs. Roderick Strong (w/Truth Martini) in a Ringmaster Challenge 2/3 Falls match (first fall is pinfall only, second fall is submissions only, and if necessary, the third fall is a 15 minute Iron Man match)

Shelton Benjamin vs.  Mike Bennett (w/Brutal Bob)

Charlie Haas vs. Michal Elgin (w/Truth Martini)

Jay Lethal & Homicide vs. Tommaso Ciampa & Rhino (w/The Embassy)

The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) vs. Future Shock (Kyle O’Reilly & Adam Cole)  vs. The Bravados in a Three-Way Elimination match

El Generico vs. Jimmy Jacobs

A preview show will also be available on Go Fight Live at 3:30p.m. Eastern on Sept. 17.