Author Topic: Industry News & Notes:  (Read 758676 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Industry News & Notes:
« Reply #1950 on: October 12, 2015, 03:06:21 PM »
Backstage Update – Why Cena Is Taking Time Off

By Ryan Clark on October 12, 2015

Partial Source: Pwinsider

UPDATE: John Cena is telling people not to worry about his time off following Hell in a Cell. Cena has been confirmed by WWE as taking the time off following Hell in a Cell for personal reasons.

WWE is telling talent that the time off is for “good reason,” with Cena previously saying nothing about the reasons why. However, some members of the talent roster that reached out to Cena, checking to make sure that he’s all right, say Cena has told them that everything is fine and that when everyone finds out why he chose to take a leave of absence, they will see it as a good thing.

ORIGINAL: As previously reported, John Cena recently asked for some time off from his WWE schedule, including missing WWE’s upcoming European tour. WWE reportedly listed the reason for his time off as “personal reasons” and not injury.

According to sources, people in WWE asking why John Cena was removed from the European tour were told it was for a “good reason.” In addition, that reason was apparently not due to injury or a personal emergency. Cena himself is keeping mum on his time off. Cena was tight-lipped about his break last week when he was asked by talents about the issue.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #1951 on: October 12, 2015, 03:38:58 PM »
^ so in other words we still learned nothing. Great report  ::)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #1952 on: October 12, 2015, 03:50:12 PM »
Cena poops rainbows.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1953 on: October 13, 2015, 04:28:25 AM »
^ so in other words we still learned nothing. Great report  ::)
Apparantly he is doing some reality fitness show for Fox.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1954 on: October 13, 2015, 05:11:26 AM »
Apparantly he is doing some reality fitness show for Fox.

I don't hate the guy.
I'm glad to see someone make it.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1955 on: October 13, 2015, 05:28:26 AM »

I don't hate the guy.
I'm glad to see someone make it.
he is the wwe or at least top 3 figures there..is he hulkamania no but A BIG DRAW ..

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #1956 on: October 13, 2015, 06:03:24 AM »
I don't hate Cena either in fact I like him. However I dislike his character and how he always goes over and comes out on top. Isn't a baby face supposed to go through some challenges and adversity?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1957 on: October 13, 2015, 06:58:35 AM »
Cena is no Hogan or Austin in terms of a draw, hense the disappointing house show, Raw and Smackdown attendance numbers. These guys are lucky that the face of the game in terms of pay is not like the eighties or they would be starving. They all have contracts with downside guarantees in the sense that they do not have to worry or "care" about what happens. In the yesteryear of the business, if you didn't draw, you didn't collect a check. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1958 on: October 13, 2015, 11:36:01 AM »
Cena is no Hogan or Austin in terms of a draw, hense the disappointing house show, Raw and Smackdown attendance numbers. These guys are lucky that the face of the game in terms of pay is not like the eighties or they would be starving. They all have contracts with downside guarantees in the sense that they do not have to worry or "care" about what happens. In the yesteryear of the business, if you didn't draw, you didn't collect a check. 

We will never see that kind of phenomenon again for many reasons.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1959 on: October 13, 2015, 12:55:42 PM »

We will never see that kind of phenomenon again for many reasons.
Sadly no, because when guys are forced to draw in order to feed themselves, it ups their game. Now a guy will show up to Raw, be used on the pre-show, collect his guarantee and go home.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1960 on: October 13, 2015, 03:59:56 PM »
Sadly no, because when guys are forced to draw in order to feed themselves, it ups their game. Now a guy will show up to Raw, be used on the pre-show, collect his guarantee and go home.

Yes. And, there's also practically NO creative latitude today. Everybody is fed what to say and do.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1961 on: October 15, 2015, 04:36:47 AM »

Yes. And, there's also practically NO creative latitude today. Everybody is fed what to say and do.
Crack open the champagne...I was watching Raw the other night and John Cena actually excected an arm drag. Not a Ricky Steamboat arm drag...but an arm drag none the less now bumping up his moves to a total of 6.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1962 on: October 15, 2015, 11:22:22 AM »
Crack open the champagne...I was watching Raw the other night and John Cena actually excected an arm drag. Not a Ricky Steamboat arm drag...but an arm drag none the less now bumping up his moves to a total of 6.

I recently learned that that beautiful arm drag that Steamboat used was "borrowed" from Jack Briscoe.
I think I've seen one other person use it, too, but the name escapes me.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1963 on: October 16, 2015, 05:56:09 AM »

I recently learned that that beautiful arm drag that Steamboat used was "borrowed" from Jack Briscoe.
I think I've seen one other person use it, too, but the name escapes me.
TBH, I miss that Steamboat arm drag.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1964 on: October 29, 2015, 06:05:59 PM »
Alberto Del Rio’s new deal with WWE has a $1.45 million downside with a reduced schedule compared to what he was working. WWE felt like they needed a Hispanic star, which justified the big-money contract. AAA was unable to match WWE’s offer; while they were disappointed it appears there is no hard feelings over the jump.

Del Rio wanted to keep a good relationship with AAA, but also wanted to keep his return a secret. He told AAA officials about his decision the night before or day of Hell in a Cell and suggested that he would finish up his scheduled dates. He has reportedly asked WWE to allow him to finish his scheduled dates.

AAA had plans to have a hair vs. hair match between Del Rio and Jeff Jarrett on December 5th, but they’re redoing plans for the show. They are under the impression that Del Rio will work their November 2nd show instead of Raw, which would presumably be where he loses the AAA Mega Championship. If he does work the day, it is because he insisted to be able to do so.

At this point, it’s uncertain if he will be able to complete all of his remaining AAA scheduled dates.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1965 on: November 03, 2015, 04:48:01 AM »
HARRISBURG, PA. - 
Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka, a professional wrestling star in the 1980s, pleaded not guilty on Monday to third-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter in the 1983 death of his girlfriend.

The 72-year-old Snuka appeared before Judge Kelly Banach in Lehigh County Court of Common Pleas in Allentown, Pennsylvania, according to a spokeswoman for District Attorney James Martin.

A native of Fiji who now lives in Camden County, New Jersey, Snuka was charged in September with killing his girlfriend Nancy Argentino, 23, of New York.

She was found dying of head injuries in a motel room they shared in Allentown in 1983 following a local appearance by the wrestler.

Decades after her death, the case was reopened after the publication of a previously unreleased autopsy report that labeled the death a homicide, according to the Morning Call newspaper of Allentown.

Snuka, who recently underwent cancer treatment, told the judge on Monday that he never went to school, could neither read nor write English, and did not know where he was or what day it was, the newspaper reported.

The former World Wrestling Federation star was known for his wild man look and for climbing to the ring's top rope and diving onto the chest of a prone opponent.

"Jimmy Snuka was one of the most popular figures in the WWF in the early to mid 1980s," said Dean Dixon, host of HIACTalkRadio.com, an online channel devoted to professional wrestling.

Snuka remains free on $100,000 bail.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1966 on: November 03, 2015, 02:05:36 PM »
HARRISBURG, PA. - 
Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka, a professional wrestling star in the 1980s, pleaded not guilty on Monday to third-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter in the 1983 death of his girlfriend.

The 72-year-old Snuka appeared before Judge Kelly Banach in Lehigh County Court of Common Pleas in Allentown, Pennsylvania, according to a spokeswoman for District Attorney James Martin.

A native of Fiji who now lives in Camden County, New Jersey, Snuka was charged in September with killing his girlfriend Nancy Argentino, 23, of New York.

She was found dying of head injuries in a motel room they shared in Allentown in 1983 following a local appearance by the wrestler.

Decades after her death, the case was reopened after the publication of a previously unreleased autopsy report that labeled the death a homicide, according to the Morning Call newspaper of Allentown.

Snuka, who recently underwent cancer treatment, told the judge on Monday that he never went to school, could neither read nor write English, and did not know where he was or what day it was, the newspaper reported.

The former World Wrestling Federation star was known for his wild man look and for climbing to the ring's top rope and diving onto the chest of a prone opponent.

"Jimmy Snuka was one of the most popular figures in the WWF in the early to mid 1980s," said Dean Dixon, host of HIACTalkRadio.com, an online channel devoted to professional wrestling.

Snuka remains free on $100,000 bail.

It's so cute that thinks kayfabe will get him off the hook again.
He forgets that a major reason it worked last time was Vince Jr. and a briefcase.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1967 on: November 04, 2015, 04:32:03 AM »

It's so cute that thinks kayfabe will get him off the hook again.
He forgets that a major reason it worked last time was Vince Jr. and a briefcase.
Lol...."the briefcase"....and I wonder how many times "the briefcase" has gotten many a WWF/WWE star out of a jam back in the day...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1968 on: November 04, 2015, 03:59:07 PM »
Lol...."the briefcase"....and I wonder how many times "the briefcase" has gotten many a WWF/WWE star out of a jam back in the day...

Experts speculate somewhere between 2-300.
 ;D

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1969 on: November 05, 2015, 04:26:45 AM »

Experts speculate somewhere between 2-300.
 ;D
Stossel got 400 g's "go away" money when David Schult's smacked him out back in 1984.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1970 on: November 05, 2015, 01:59:22 PM »
Stossel got 400 g's "go away" money when David Schult's smacked him out back in 1984.

Hell, that's nothing...

Belzer's payout was allegedly enough to buy him a chateau in France he so affectionately named "Chez Hulk."

Not that I'm not a Hulk fan, and not that Belzer is an opportunistic phony...

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1971 on: November 05, 2015, 03:09:54 PM »

Hell, that's nothing...

Belzer's payout was allegedly enough to buy him a chateau in France he so affectionately named "Chez Hulk."

Not that I'm not a Hulk fan, and not that Belzer is an opportunistic phony...
Makes you wonder how many "hush hush" payoff's occured back then and probably still do.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1972 on: November 05, 2015, 03:21:09 PM »
Makes you wonder how many "hush hush" payoff's occured back then and probably still do.

I think most of the guys today are too "beta" to engage in such shenanigans.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1973 on: November 06, 2015, 04:29:58 AM »

I think most of the guys today are too "beta" to engage in such shenanigans.

Probably...but i'll "correct" you if you are wrong  ;)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1974 on: November 06, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »
Probably...but i'll "correct" you if you are wrong  ;)

Thank you.
 ;D